Abel to Yzerman

I’ll Live Blog This Ugly Truth

The diggers, in all their courageous glory, can’t bring themselves to type it.  They’ll skirt it and they’ll talk around it.  They’ll say everything but what we’re all thinking.  Khan(!!!)?

MLive

The Red Wings aren’t as concerned about who they are playing as they are with how they are playing.

Nicely phrased. Good grammar. Active voice.

And absolute bullshit.

Krupa went all redolent on us this morning.  Breaking down the reasons we should stress:  Helm’s absence, disgusting power play, a team that isn’t used to playing together. He even pulled this one out of his pharmacist’s hat.

DetNews

Pavel Datsyuk is substantially back, too. But he is not yet the whirling-dervish of a forward who is a threat to score or set up a goal.

I guess he skipped the last ten minutes of the Blues game in favor of a Joni Mitchell retrospective.

They won’t say it.  They can’t bring themselves to broach it.  We will. I will.

I hope we lose today. I hope we lose healthy and I hope we lose competitively with Tiberius playing well. But make no mistake, I hope we lose and so do you.

Drew Sharp is a tool, but at least he has the sack to say it, too.

Freep

Today’s loser “wins.”

The loser could fall to the sixth seed and gets the third conference seed, the champion of the relatively underwhelming Pacific Division—Phoenix, Los Angeles or San Jose.

Home or away, I don’t want Nashville. Not in the first round.  A second round matchup? Not too gross because if the Wings get there it will mean they’ve found their game.  And when they find it, they’re the favorites.  But it’s not there yet.  The Wings, as Redolence said, are a work in progress.  It’s a work that will work itself out through a Round 1 matchup, not over four days of practice.

Wings lose today and they’ve got Phoenix, LA or San Jose.  All of them are beatable even with a Detroit team still finding their way.  Nashville is not beatable in the first round. And that’s a fact. Not by us. Not by this team right now.

This pretty much caps off the weirdest season any of us can remember.  A regular season that closes with a game I hope we lose so that we can actually get a lower seed that starts on the road.  That’s just stupid but it’s the reality we fester in today.

So, umm, go Wings. Play well, men.  But not too well.

Live Blog this wack job of a season finale, bitches.  And if agreeing with me betrays the way you’ve been raised here in The Hasek? I get it.  You don’t have to say it.  I won’t make you.  But in the dark places, thinking it is ok because losing to that team today paves the way to 12.  Winning makes our lives a lot tougher over the next three weeks.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

No one is a winner. Either you face Nashville or you do a lot of traveling in the first round. Pick your poison.

Posted by Philip on 04/07/12 at 12:18 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

a Joni Mitchell retrospective.

hahahaha I’ve got a brand new pair of roller skates.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/07/12 at 12:25 PM ET

I will pick my poison: Nasville over the possible sharks any day….they have our number and they want to play us…

Posted by Nat from MTL on 04/07/12 at 12:32 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

The only playoff scenario I like is…
Parade down Woodward.
Posted by pgoody on 04/07/12 at 10:15 AM ET

And we live blog that too.

The 11 Parade

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/07/12 at 12:32 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

a Joni Mitchell retrospective.

hahahaha I’ve got a brand new pair of roller skates.

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/07/12 at 10:25 AM ET

That wasn’t Joni.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/12 at 12:37 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Chief, like all Red Wings fans, is confused and bewildered by being on the last day of the season where we have not long since wrapped up first place, so we don’t know what to think about today’s game.  In fact I just realized I care little about the game in that it is meaningless, being this close to the real season that begins Wednesday.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/07/12 at 12:37 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

a Joni Mitchell retrospective.

hahahaha I’ve got a brand new pair of roller skates.

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/07/12 at 10:25 AM ET

That wasn’t Joni.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Michigan, now in Flori-duh on 04/07/12 at 10:37 AM ET

After I typed that I wondered that myself.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/07/12 at 12:38 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Chief, I can never openly admit to wanting my team to lose, but “in the dark places,” like you said… well.  Still, I’m always reminded of that worn-out cliche:  Be careful what you wish for.

So… LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!  And let the rest be as it will be.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/12 at 12:39 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I’ll say it, NSH scares the hell outta me.

There, that wasn’t so bad.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/07/12 at 12:40 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

After I typed that I wondered that myself.

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/07/12 at 10:38 AM ET

I must confess to being a huge Joni Mitchell fan.  *blushes*

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/12 at 12:40 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/07/12 at 12:41 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

There it is!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/12 at 12:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I think we can beat Nashville with as much ease as Phoenix, and save all the cross country trips.  Besides, beating a team 3 straight years in the playoffs is just against the odds.

Of course it could be San Jose, a team we don’t match up well against, or the LAK who I believe we could beat even being somewhat dysfunctional.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/07/12 at 12:44 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Winning makes our lives a lot tougher over the next three weeks.

Good morning bitches. Ahoy, hoy Master Chief.

The saying goes,” When the going gets tough, the tough get going.” I’ll just leave it at that.

Let’s Roll.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/07/12 at 12:58 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Nice one chief, after 81 games you finally made sense.
Don’t worry about a win today…
That NBC curse will take care of that.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 04/07/12 at 01:15 PM ET

I hope we lose today. I hope we lose healthy and I hope we lose competitively

Chi hope they lose today too, or win in OT or SO. We might be in for a real treat of a game, a glaring testament to a new NHL, on national TV no less, with usual bunch of NBC clowns blathering nonsense as the damning proof they have no other employment options.

Shall I say, let’s go Dives? No, I cannot bring myself to do this!

Posted by Alex on 04/07/12 at 01:45 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Too much to do today.  No LB for me.  I’ll check back later to see how it went.  Once again, no expectations.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/07/12 at 01:57 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

NBC clowns blathering nonsense
Posted by Alex on 04/07/12 at 11:45 AM ET

It is so gross.  I am lucky I can pause video and stream Ken Kal over the inter webs instead.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/07/12 at 02:07 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Wow!  Riley Sheahan is playing!  Mursak sits.  (Khan)

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/12 at 02:11 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

I guess there’s
a game today…is it important or anything?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/07/12 at 02:12 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

NBC clowns blathering nonsense
Posted by Alex on 04/07/12 at 11:45 AM ET

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/07/12 at 12:07 PM ET

I’m listening to Ken and Paul.  No way am I watching/listening to Icky Oilslick cheering for the Squawks.

Only thing is, radio is always way behind TV, so can’t LB or tweet.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/12 at 02:13 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Gonna watch this one with the family, so will miss the LB. But I cannot hope for a loss. I’d prefer a travel light schedule with NSH, and SJ still worries me. But man, I’m with KHAN!!! It’s the Wings I’m really concerned about. These guys get their shit together and play like they can, and the playoffs will take care of themselves.

We need Mule skating not coasting, the 3rd/4th lines not over backchecking, Hudler frickin shooting, Quincy to pull his head out of his ass, and the whole team has to be willing to work the corners and the middle of the ice. Sounds like a long list of problems, but save that last bit they’re all relatively simple ones. And that last one is the most important of all.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/07/12 at 02:15 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

Khan also reporting Riley Sheahan will make his Red Wings debut today

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 04/07/12 at 02:25 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

That guy Phillip from nowhere has a good point.  Make mine a double.

Nice one chief, after 81 games you finally made sense.

Sense? Uh, umm, one of the 19 had the good sense to jump on a big grey boot, sail across an ocean or two and pretty much skip the season…the rest of us, well, Bob’s yur uncle.

As a passing thought, what if the Cawks are playing to lose?  Similar logic applies….no?

Ima looking for the Wings to fine tune, sort out the shifts and if they win, good on em. Either way, next week they are “Free Men in Paris”.....unfettered and alive.

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 04/07/12 at 02:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Wow!  Riley Sheahan is playing!  Mursak sits.  (Khan)

Posted by MsRedWinger from Michigan, now in Flori-duh on 04/07/12 at 12:11 PM ET

What!?!?!?!?  If they wanted a Helm replacement how about Conner, WTH?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/07/12 at 02:26 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

sorry Master Chief.
i hear your “logic” but i can not bring myself to ‘want to lose so we can - - - ’ ...

winning is the only way.

put on the swagger and let’s kick-off the playoffs with a “W” in the finale;
then we’ll take on all comers ‘til the march down Woodward.

if that ain’t our confidence, then we don’t deserve to return what belongs to us back in the trophy case.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/07/12 at 02:26 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

winning is the only way.

put on the swagger and let’s kick-off the playoffs with a “W” in the finale;
then we’ll take on all comers ‘til the march down Woodward.

Agree 100%.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/07/12 at 02:31 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

What!?!?!?!?  If they wanted a Helm replacement how about Conner, WTH?

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/07/12 at 12:26 PM ET

Sheahan’s a lot bigger.  And he’s a forward so I’m assuming he’s on the 4th line with Emmerton and Homer.  Mursak is scratched.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/12 at 02:32 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I get the Sheahan thing, put him straight into the show to see how he looks, AND obtw it’s the last game of the season and this reflects the level of our give-a-damn for this game.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/07/12 at 02:34 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

No to Sharks!  Unfortunately, Hawks are probably thinking alike. Today could be a lose off.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/07/12 at 02:43 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I want San Jose in round one.

All aboard indeed, hitches.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/07/12 at 02:46 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Stupid kindle auto correct.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/07/12 at 02:47 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m not scared of Nashville.  I’m not scared of Chicago.  I’m not scared of the Guppies or the Mange.

I’m scared that March Detroit is real.

Posted by Primis on 04/07/12 at 02:51 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Hi ALL!

I want a W as in WIN!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 04/07/12 at 02:59 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

pregame song being sung.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 04/07/12 at 03:06 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Lucky us, the whole DC crew.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 04/07/12 at 03:07 PM ET

Any of the NBC shills going to have the stones to say losing might be the better option here?

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/07/12 at 03:07 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Game on.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/07/12 at 03:08 PM ET

Lucky us, the whole DC crew.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 04/07/12 at 01:07 PM ET

I prefer to call it the Triumverate of Suck.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/07/12 at 03:08 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Driiiiiiiiiiiivve.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/07/12 at 03:09 PM ET

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »