Abel to Yzerman

Hey Transplants: “Bring…Back…Mur-phy”

And it starts, as it must, with the transplants.  Tomorrow, at Anaheim's Honda Center, the movement must begin.  With the entire FS-Detroit audience listening, we need the Wing fans in attendance to start a simple chant, a ditty that will begin here on the left coast and spread east.  "Bring Back Mur-phy".  To the tune, of course, of "Lets Go Red Wings".

Wing bloggers, and all you silent mainstream media readers:  a little help on this effort would be appreciated.  Larry Murphy fired due to ratings?  What survey did any of you participate in, Wing fans? Did anyone ask you what would make the product better? How do you fire an on-air talent, claim it's ratings-driven, but ask for no feedback from the audience?

Bring Back Mur-phy.

Detroit's next JLA game is 31 March, against Chicago.  We have a week to get this thing off the ground.  Transplants in Anaheim, Phoenix, Northern California? It starts with you.  Get the ball rolling and those in Detroyet will bring it home.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Bring Back Papa Murph.

You can’t fire Superman.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/23/13 at 12:41 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Murph is a great guy and was an amazing hall of fame player.  However, he was not a very good broadcaster.  I wish him the best and hope he finds a more suitable role in the game.  Muprh was at least better than the NBC crew.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 03/23/13 at 12:41 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 03/23/13 at 01:41 PM ET

And we want him back.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 03/23/13 at 12:44 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Murph was a phenominal broadcaster.  He’s real, authentic.  Not a cookie cutter dime a dozen catch phrase guy.

Bring Back Papa Murph, it needs to happen.  He’s like the Homer of the crew and Homer was the heartbeat.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/23/13 at 12:46 PM ET

Triple Deke Tyler's avatar

This is a must.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 03/23/13 at 01:41 PM ET

I actually think he’s improved over the years.  I liked him for entertainment’s sake anyway, not his broadcasting talent.  But that’s just me.

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 03/23/13 at 12:50 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Great game last night. Heh…rather loud throughout the entire game…caught BB’s comments after getting home…too fuching bad. Don’t have tickets to tomorrow’s game but working on that.

Rumbear- Didn’t catch your PM…just replied…let me know if you or any of the other 19 are going to tomorrow’s game.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/23/13 at 01:17 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

I will NOT change my avatar again….

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/23/13 at 01:24 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Murph was terrible at broadcasting.  Period.  He used every cliche over and over again.  I’m happy he helped the Wings win a couple Stanley’s but my god has he been awful at what he was getting paid for.  Bring back Verbeek!!!

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 03/23/13 at 01:54 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

They fired the drunk Hotdoggler?

That pisses me right off.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/23/13 at 01:56 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Murf’s gone?  I thought he was at hot dog rehab. BRING HIM BACK!

Great game last nite. A sea of red. Lot’s of PO’d DuhUck fans. Y’all would have loved it.  Five minutes left in the game and they started streaming for the doors. At the end of the game the rink was filled with Wing fans cheering. It was like the Joe…with marble floors, brass railings and padded seats.  I counted a few thousand more above 19.

They HAD the best home record ever in the NHofL and were looking to extend. (no pun in ten did)
They HAD gone 12 and whatever over the last few games.
They HAD the Wings where they wanted them.
Then we played the game…..

Say what you will about the line that goes un named…Abby was flying, Pavs does things you have to witness and that other guy was nailing DuhUcks in the corners. Franzen had Bitchslap and Perry talking to themselves

Randumb Thoughts:
Souray is a douchebag. Boochomin too.  Cheap shot artists from the Pronger School of Douchbaggery.
Nyquist is a keeper
Somebody tossed a Octopie, the refs circled and stared…left it for the Puck Bunnies
Hat Trick!  Lots of hats on the ice.
The chant LGRW! Rocked the place.
Swagger.  Lot’s of swagger
Fights-Bitchslap beclowned his bad self.  Stormed off the ice in a snit.
Perry-Whata whiney little bitch.  Always in the Refs ear. Surprised they did not give him 2 minutes for BS.

Sunday should be a good game. The DuhUcks will be out for blood having been turned in to pate’ in this tilt.

mrfluffy….did your wife have a LGRW sign near section 203?  I saw the sign late and dropped the codeword “Bonjour” a couple times when I saw.  Might have scared her away.

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 03/23/13 at 02:05 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Hat Trick!  Lots of hats on the ice.

As suspected- the Ducks feed did not show the ice for a long while after Abby’s third goal.  Good to know.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 03/23/13 at 02:22 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

We should all stop for a minute, and think,,,,

Maybe “low Ratings” is foxspeak for you never should have
turned down re-hab.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 03/23/13 at 02:28 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Get Fox Sports Detroit to rehire Larry Murphy

sign the petition here

As far as I know, Murph never planned to be an announcer, but he did bring character to the Wings home feed broadcasts.

Bring him back, FSD. Bring him back.

“Bring Back Mur-phy” clap-clap-clapclapclap ...
“Bring Back Mur-phy” clap-clap-clapclapclap ...
“Bring Back Mur-phy” clap-clap-clapclapclap ...

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/23/13 at 03:02 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

“Bring Back Mur-phy” clap-clap-clapclapclap ...
“Bring Back Mur-phy” clap-clap-clapclapclap ...
“Bring Back Mur-phy” clap-clap-clapclapclap ...

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/23/13 at 04:02 PM ET

This.

And GO BLUE!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/23/13 at 03:09 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I don’t like Darren Eliot either, but If they put Shannon Squeaky Voice between the benches, that will do it for me.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/23/13 at 03:10 PM ET

Surfer Ken's avatar

My family and I will be in section 206 row 6, look for the “Bring back Murphy” sign.  Im going to buy a large piece of poster board now.  Fox Sports Detroit will see what happens when they mess with The 19.

We will get you your job back Murph, but you have to promise to lose the glasses.

Posted by Surfer Ken from San Clemente on 03/23/13 at 03:15 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Awesome, Surfer Ken, as I posted on another thread.  And get the crowd going, will you?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/23/13 at 03:32 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Aw FSD bring back Murphy - we love his awkward, geekiness!
Plus who will we pick on he was such a good target for our frustrations, at times. smile

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 03/23/13 at 03:45 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

I will NOT change my avatar again….

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 03/23/13 at 02:24 PM ET

neither will I

Free whitey! er…...HIRE LARRY MURPHY!!

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/23/13 at 04:58 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Rumbear, I enjoyed reading your observations from the game.  Maybe we should lighten up on the Pav linemates, eh?

Uncle Mike rubbed our noses in it after the game.  He said, “I’ve been hearing that Abby isn’t good enough to play on that line but we think he’s good enough to play on that line.  So good for him.”

Michigan has scored FOUR GOALS in the second period and leads 4-0!  And the second period isn’t even over yet!  GO BLUE!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/23/13 at 05:02 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Petition up to 1530 now. Thanks to RW and Rummie for your contribution s . Your statements are what make this blog roll bitches. Same for the rest of the19. The best fake friends ever.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 03/23/13 at 05:05 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Michigan up on Miami (Oh) 4-1 after 2 ...

Go Blue!

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/23/13 at 05:14 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Now it’s 5-1!  GO BLUE!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/23/13 at 05:30 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

There is a multitude of Murph threads and I have not read all of them. So forgive me if someone already mentioned this. The anger at FSD may be mis-directed. It is my understanding of the sports broadcasting business that the teams hire and fire the broadcast crew even though they are employees of the network. There is usually done fine print to that effect during the broadcast.

Even if It was FSD’s decision, there is no way they make it without approval from the Wings.

The petition and emails like RWBills need to go to both FSD and Wings management.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/23/13 at 05:38 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Miami gets one back.  5-2, but Michigan just killed off a Miami PP.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/23/13 at 05:38 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Make that 6-2 Michigan!  Not over yet!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/23/13 at 05:46 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Michigan beat the #1seed in the tournament and the #1 defensive team in the country 6-2!  Way to go, boys!  Do it again tomorrow!  GO BLUE!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/23/13 at 06:03 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

well, the final final CCHA championship game is tomorrow at 2:05 PM at The Joe ...

with a 6-2 Michigan win today over Miami (Oh),

the pairing is: University of Michigan Wolverines vs ND

Go Blue!

get the boys ready, Red.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/23/13 at 06:08 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Good point Captain. I thought the Wings had to co-sign. I wonder who Murph pissed off? His color commentary was colorful. There’s no denying that. And, he is just an all around good egg. Hope the fans can make a difference.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/23/13 at 07:14 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Murf’s gone…..maybe it was the glasses.  Just saying.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 03/23/13 at 07:34 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, enjoying the decline…... on 03/23/13 at 03:05 PM ET

Ha. No. Some weirdo was asking her about pharmocology.

No…she stayed at home…she didn’t get out of work till late…dealing with a medical issue with her staff….joy joy.

I was the sole RW jersey (white zetterberg ‘A’) in a sea of 4 black *ucks jerseys up in 434. I’ll give the guys this though- they thought the fighting ‘to get the team going’ was laughable, and agree Getzlaf and Perry haven’t grown up past the frat boy age.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/23/13 at 08:12 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

the pairing is: University of Michigan Wolverines vs ND

Go Blue!

get the boys ready, Red.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/23/13 at 07:08 PM ET

All the “experts” here are expecting a close game..but of course the s..Who… will prevail.

If only they knew the truth.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/23/13 at 08:25 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

If only they knew the truth.

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 03/23/13 at 09:25 PM ET

And by experts..I mean the two old dudes at the restaurant next door who were badmouthing Michigan and their “stupid” helmets.  All I could do as I sat there with my Maize and Blue sweatshirt on was remind them that at least our college had a mascot.  smile

Now don’t get me wrong…I’m absolutely against what happened to UND and that whole tribal thing…but come on…you do NOT mess with the helmets…

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/23/13 at 08:26 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Disregard…guess those retards were talking shit just to talk shit.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/23/13 at 09:31 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/23/13 at 01:46 PM ET

That’s it, yes.  Murph is like talking to another fan over a hot dog and beer, perhaps two too many, but he is a fan of the game (and a bonafide expert of the game) and a fan of the Red Wings, not another useless bland suit in a studio.

John Keating’s questions to the players are awkward and as embarrassing as Captain Oveur asking, “Jimmy, do you like movies about gladiators?  Have you ever seen a grown man naked?”  I pause the TV and leave the room to make a warm cup of Postum.

If it were based on fan appeal, Keating and Darren would be canned and Murph would interview the players between periods.

screen-capture-17

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/24/13 at 12:58 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

HAIL TO THE VICTORS !!
HAIL TO THE VICTORS !!

Once for basketball, thank Jeebus I won’t have a week of taunting around Richmond VA because of my long and highly visible support of the Maize and Blue.

Another Hail for the astonishing, story book playoff run of the hockey team.  Continuation of the 22 year run into the NCAA playoff depends solely on qualifying via winning this, the very last CCHA tourney.  That was off the charts unlikely, but they obliterated three rounds of opponents and now just the Whining Irish stand in their way, the number 1 CCHA seed who is 4-0 vs Michigan this year.

I’d give a Hail to the colors of Sparty for going to the 16 again, but who knows what their official colors are this week.  I think they’re trying out Baylor’s now.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/24/13 at 01:11 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

So 8 pm ET start time tomorrow, will I be able to differentiate Getzlaf from an extra on The Walking Dead?

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/24/13 at 01:24 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

French Maid

Chief fantasy FM B

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/24/13 at 01:34 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Who is Darren?  Is that the deer in the headlights guy on FSN?

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 03/24/13 at 01:37 AM ET

Murph was a phenominal broadcaster.

Oh my God.