Abel to Yzerman

Hey Kenny: Here’s a Quick Recap

Just to review.  The five BIG MOVES Tick Tock Kenny Holland has made since the last time Gary let us have a trade deadline?

Gustavsson: out with a groin (replaced by Thomas McCullom, who will never start a game for the Detroit Red Wings. Ever.)

Samuelsson: out with a groin (replaced by Gustav Nyquist...thank god.  Would have been ridiculous to have him up here at the start, eh Uncle Mike?  We need him "seasoned"...jesus.)

Fredo: out with a ________ insert whatever injury you want there. They'll all apply at one point or another.  We didn't know he was brittle. Right? Replaced today by Kent Huskins.  My personal saviour.

Stirs Shit With Big Wooden Spoon: Lost to Drago by decision, but we like him. No complaints. Yet.

Kyle the Dive: Absolute garbage. We can't even type his name. That's how bad he is.  I'm positive I'll now be angry every time he leaves the bench press box.

I'm in one of those moods, Kenny.  Injuries or not? This team, the state of it, is on your shoulders.  You get the feeling that the goal this year is to just make the playoffs, to keep that streak alive.  Is that the best we can do, Kenny?  Didn't our goals used to be higher?

Money won't be so plentiful this summer Kenny, from how I understand it.  Don't we have to sign Tiberius Howard and a few others? Dealing's tough these days. Gary made it so. But we don't care, Kenny.  Life's tough for us all. Lots of people have hard jobs and less than 1 percent of them make as much money as you do while they do those hard jobs. Every day.  So, I don't want to hear the excuses. I'm sorry but I don't. And that includes you Holland protectors.

Kenny Holland let this team slip. It's up to him to fix it or bring in someone who can.  Someone with a steely gaze, a gimpy knee or two and a goal in mind that doesn't include squeeking in at the 8 seed.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3

Nathan's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/22/13 at 02:07 PM ET

When you pick, at best, in the middle of the pack each year, you can’t go drafting on need when better talent at another position is available. That’s why the Wings have ended up with very good organizational forward depth and promise (Pulkkinen, Jurco, Nyquist, Tatar, Jarnkrok, Sheahan, Ferraro—to add to the opportunities they had to sign Leino and now Brunner as essentially free agent prospects). The best talent that has presented itself to the Wings in the draft in recent years has been forward. Now it is up to Ken Holland to address the defensive needs by spinning some of that forward surplus into some D.

Or, as much as it pains me to admit it, maybe the calculus is telling him that it is time to let it ride out. Let this team play out the short season. If they’re in contention, good, see what Howie can do, maybe steal some games. And if they aren’t, maybe that’s when guys like Filppula and White hit the trade block around the deadline. Maybe the math says, it’s time to do a “rebuild” instead of the typical Red Wing “reload.”

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/22/13 at 05:27 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Geezo this joint is in playoff form.  I never remember such a must win second game of the season in my life, or so it seemed.

Jaromir Jagr is with the Stars?

I won’t comment on those D pairings because I’m not smart enough.  I would think Smith would be a D that needs a partner to cover him because he likes to roam and free lance.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/22/13 at 05:28 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

The wings might be rusty, but the 19 are on their game.

If you aren’t careful, some of our redolent wit might get called up to play D. The back bench is full of over-ripe Fs and busted Ericssons.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/22/13 at 05:32 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

. .. I would think Smith would be a D that needs a partner who doesn’t suck yak balls because he likes to roam and free lance.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/22/13 at 04:28 PM ET

There, fixed that for you.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/22/13 at 05:32 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/22/13 at 04:27 PM ET

I don’t disagree and my basement is already too full of newspaper clippings and red string to figure out what in the timeline Holland should have done specifically differently to avoid this outcome. Mostly I’m just not happy with the way the Wings’ defense is built. Whatever they do going forward, I want it to be the very best thing they can do both for short-term competitiveness and long-term sustainability, and just because I don’t know what that course of action is doesn’t mean that I want it any less.

In short, I’m spoiled and I want to keep being spoiled.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/22/13 at 05:33 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

so who is available and affordable for the Wings that all you armchair GMs think Kenny should pursue?

does it figure into your complaints that thanks to the salary cap the Wings are no longer the team the top players come to by choice, not for the money?  gone are the days where the Wings are the team you go to to win a Cup before you retire.  I don’t like it, you don’t like it, but we have to live with it.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/22/13 at 05:34 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Does the organ-i-zation have a placement for yak ball cleaners? #27 might have a lateral placement more appropriate to his skill set.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/22/13 at 05:35 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Shhhh. Homer is speaking about his retirement.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/22/13 at 05:38 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

He’s definitely got a low hockey IQ, at least seems that way, has a hard time tracking the play and keeping and eye on opposing forwards

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/22/13 at 05:38 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Isnt Homer having a press conference at 4:30?  Hey that’s now.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/22/13 at 05:39 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

ROFL. Luck Luc told me to use a curved stick. I tried it once and almost got traded. That’s funny.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/22/13 at 05:42 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg said. “Homer, in his own way, tried to get the team fired up. In the same way, he made us loose, in his English-Swedish language. It was tough to understand him, both as North Americans and as Swedes.’‘

Asked what he’ll miss most about Holmstrom, goaltender Jimmy Howard said, “Just being around him every single day and not knowing what possibly could come out of his mouth, and then trying to understand it.”

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/22/13 at 05:45 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

There, fixed that for you.

Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 01/22/13 at 04:32 PM ET

There it is, thanks.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/22/13 at 06:07 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

We’ve been away from each other for almost nine months. It’s the Gore’s version of blue balls.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/22/13 at 06:30 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by

RorSchach

on 01/22/13 at 04:42 PM ET

epic

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/22/13 at 06:34 PM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

My only guess is they want Kronner, Smith and White to be the more offensive minded ones and Lashoff, Q and Husky to be the stay at home D-men

Uh-oh.

Posted by Colquhoun on 01/22/13 at 07:21 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

it hasn’t made the news yet, but due to all the defensive injuries the Wings have signed me.  I mean, it’s not like I could do any worse than Q.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/22/13 at 07:39 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Sure hope you like the nickname “Poontang”. cheese

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 08:19 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Fine opinion piece that is spot on.

Didn’t like the Q trade when it happened.  Holland didn’t get back the value for the 1st rounder, even a later one.  Q was not worth a 1st then and obviously is not worth one now.  It’s likely true that the pick would not have helped out the Wings now but Holland has shown that you can get great talent in the past from such a pick.  It may not be NHL ready talent but the chances certainly improve to get a better player.  Maybe Holland was giving Stevie a housewarming present from the DRW.

As far as defensive pairings go, I’d advocate one of two scenarios.  Lashoff/Smith based upon playing previously together in GR or Smith/Q just so all the shit goes down on 1 shift (which can be limited in playing time).  Kronwall/Ericsson-White/(Insert healthy player here).

Just b/c Holland has been brilliant for the past two decades does not give him free pass for the next decade.  Two years of blind trust sure.  Five years where the Wings can’t get past the same teams or the 2nd round….eh.  If the wings missed the playoffs this year fine.  Next year, not so much.  The cap does hurt, but with the scouting dept. the Wings have expectations are high and should continue to be.  IMO it’s fair to criticize him b/c the team has not really done much since 09’ (four years ago).  To be honest, the playoff streak doesn’t matter to me at this point.  1st and 2nd round spurts move the needle little.  As long as the team remains competitive (i.e. above .500 but not necessarily playoffs) and goes deep into the playoffs once every 4-5 years is a strong post-cap success measure.  Holland can keep his job, but that doesn’t mean I can’t complain.

In particular, Holland’s recent FA signings or re-signings have been head-scratchers.  The Sammy move has no logical underpinnings whatsoever.  He was streaky and brittle when he left, what in God’s name can he provide now?  Experience is invaluable but does that outweigh his downside?  Moreover, just b/c he has experience does not mean he provides the I want a Cup now intangible.  Sammy is no longer a top 6 forward, the wings already had a lot of bottom 6 forwards, and young guns needed ice time at the nhl level w/o being relied upon just yet.  There was no point to the signing.

As far as 2-2, I consider it a mulligan and not worth complaining.  I also like the Monster signing.  Bertuzzi has been the only one with the balls to protect teamates for the past few years and has given the wings wins individually through his shootout goodness.  Letting that go.

Now I wager that most competent wings fans were never happy with the E re-signing when it was announced.  Everyone has been waiting for him to develop since 2008 and it just plain out has not happened.  One can confidently assume it cannot happen.  The money he received is hard to stomach but what is giving us all kidney stones is the fact that Holland continues to count on him to play as a top 4 and replace a spot of the lost.

Concerning the Franzen saga, I have no idea what to think.  Franzen single-handily put the team on his back for two playoff seasons.  On his back.  People forget this in light of his current playoff absence, injury proneness and streak scoring.  IMHO he has one more year (of playoffs) to make a decision on the type of player he is and whether the $5M/yr was a mistake.  Two years of the best playoff player rivaling the greats and two plus years of soft silence.  In hindsight, letting Hossa free looks depressing but one more year.  He has been afraid to go to the middle lately (which is where he piled the goals) b/c of the injuries he has sustained as a result.  If he doesn’t in the playoffs, it’s a $5M mistake.  Further, the Semin and Franzen comparisons made earlier are not fair or accurate.  Two different types of players.  Franzen actually performed in the playoffs and did not shy away from physical contact in the past.  Semin is a perimeter player who relies on his shot, has never embraced the physical part of the game, and has yet to show anything in the playoffs.  A 1yr 8M flier on Semin still couldn’t have hurt he’s not a cancer, just probably a bum.

End.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 01/22/13 at 08:29 PM ET

Really, Redden and Semin?  You dudes are cracking Holland for not getting them?!?

Four goals in three games.  Yeah, why WOULD they want Semin?

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 11:18 PM ET

Franzen single-handily put the team on his back for two playoff seasons.  On his back.  People forget this…

I don’t think anyone forgets this.  In fact it’s because of his past performances that people are so frustrated with him.  As in, where the hell did that Franzen go?

I think you’re missing the point of the comparison.  It’s not about their style of play.  Both are natural goal scorers who, if they showed any consistent heart, would be perrenial 35-40 goal scorers but since they both regularly take games off they’re very frustrating.

Posted by Garth on 01/23/13 at 10:12 AM ET