Abel to Yzerman

Hey Kenny: Here’s a Quick Recap

Just to review.  The five BIG MOVES Tick Tock Kenny Holland has made since the last time Gary let us have a trade deadline?

Gustavsson: out with a groin (replaced by Thomas McCullom, who will never start a game for the Detroit Red Wings. Ever.)

Samuelsson: out with a groin (replaced by Gustav Nyquist...thank god.  Would have been ridiculous to have him up here at the start, eh Uncle Mike?  We need him "seasoned"...jesus.)

Fredo: out with a ________ insert whatever injury you want there. They'll all apply at one point or another.  We didn't know he was brittle. Right? Replaced today by Kent Huskins.  My personal saviour.

Stirs Shit With Big Wooden Spoon: Lost to Drago by decision, but we like him. No complaints. Yet.

Kyle the Dive: Absolute garbage. We can't even type his name. That's how bad he is.  I'm positive I'll now be angry every time he leaves the bench press box.

I'm in one of those moods, Kenny.  Injuries or not? This team, the state of it, is on your shoulders.  You get the feeling that the goal this year is to just make the playoffs, to keep that streak alive.  Is that the best we can do, Kenny?  Didn't our goals used to be higher?

Money won't be so plentiful this summer Kenny, from how I understand it.  Don't we have to sign Tiberius Howard and a few others? Dealing's tough these days. Gary made it so. But we don't care, Kenny.  Life's tough for us all. Lots of people have hard jobs and less than 1 percent of them make as much money as you do while they do those hard jobs. Every day.  So, I don't want to hear the excuses. I'm sorry but I don't. And that includes you Holland protectors.

Kenny Holland let this team slip. It's up to him to fix it or bring in someone who can.  Someone with a steely gaze, a gimpy knee or two and a goal in mind that doesn't include squeeking in at the 8 seed.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »

Heaton's avatar

Regarding the whole Semin thing - sure he probably would’ve helped (more than Samuelsson anyway) but people fuming over Semin?  Aren’t we still the same Wings fans who mocked Franzen all last season?  Now we want the Russian right handed version of him?

**Disclaimer, I’m a loyal Franzen apologist.

Posted by Heaton on 01/22/13 at 02:50 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

The butthurt is strong in this thread…

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 01/22/13 at 02:51 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Heaton on 01/22/13 at 02:50 PM ET

Oh Heaton, you lose me, then reel me right back in.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 01/22/13 at 02:52 PM ET

Posted by Heaton on 01/22/13 at 02:50 PM ET

If he’s scoring 30 goals a year then I’d happily be frustrated with Semin the way I’ happy to be frustrated by Franzen as long as he’s knocking on the door of 30 goals a year.

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 03:10 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/22/13 at 03:26 PM ET

Except it took getting stiff-armed by Dubinsky to wake him up…

... maybe the guys can take turns pissing him off before the game so he comes out like that every night.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 01/22/13 at 03:28 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Except it took getting stiff-armed by Dubinsky to wake him up…

Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 01/22/13 at 03:28 PM ET

Check that, it was Johansen who did the third-person facepalm, but that whole sequence with Franzen and Dubinsky was funny.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 01/22/13 at 03:32 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

They can’t close.
Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 01/22/13 at 01:47 PM ET

At least the Tigers look like they’re willing to give their best minor league prospect a shot,

by choice

, instead of the Wings who do it only as a last resort.

( Help me Rondo, help help me Rondo - apologies to the Beach Boys )

The Wings used to have 3 or 4 lines of high level talent so it was hard to get an opportunity - Helm nailed his chance.  I like all of the following gents, but how many of them should we actually have on one team?  Miller Emmerton Mursak Eaves Abdelkader, even Cleary is more like one of these guys now instead of a top 6’er, and only when he feels strong.  OF those Justin is the Wings preferred keeper, and I agree.  I will put Helm and Tootoo in a separate category because each offers something unique, in my eyes, but there’s two more similar bottom 6 guys.

I was a big defender of Bertuzzi for two years,  repeatedly saying he contributed a lot more than some people here would grant, seemingly only ever comment if he made a turnover, but I was stunned they offered him two more years.  Good luck big fella, we need something special from you when you come back.

And then we add Sammy.  Not the 2007 Sammy.  The 6 year older Sammy.

I forgot what I was gonna say.

Oh yeah, we’re too reluctant to mix in prospects, that model doesn’t work when the ones you’re protecting have not really established themselves as anything special.

We hopefully have cleared The 19 of one guy whose response was always first to insult and name call anyone who had a different opinion than his, I don’t like the idea of even more taking his place, especially when the discussion itself is worthy.

Posted by RWBill from the Babcock school of cheese grabbing. on 01/22/13 at 03:33 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

This is Huskins wife, so we got something out of the deal after all

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 01/22/13 at 03:35 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

As long as you don’t start calling me names and/or belittling me for not sharing the same brainwave

obviously you are not drinking enough of the blue liquid.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 01/22/13 at 03:41 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Of course if it was easy everyone would have scorers on their third line working at $800,000 salaries.

Posted by RWBill from the Babcock school of cheese grabbing. on 01/22/13 at 03:41 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 01/22/13 at 03:35 PM ET

NFW!  Stop making a fool of me, man!  And I was going to wait to get home from work to masturbate.

Posted by RWBill from the Babcock school of cheese grabbing. on 01/22/13 at 03:44 PM ET

The unfortunate thing is that this is probably the perfect season to do it, too.  Hindsight is of course 20/20 but if they knew it was going to be a shortened season maybe they would’ve made sure there was room for the likes of Nyquist and maybe Tatar or Andersson.

Of course, if the injuries continue like they have over the course of two games, those guys might plenty of opportunity…

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 03:45 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

And I was going to wait to get home from work to masturbate.

Bullllllllshiiiiiiiiitttttt

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/22/13 at 03:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Did anyone else notice that she has her hand wrapped around a tube of a certain circumference?  She’s just teasing me now.

Posted by RWBill from the Babcock school of cheese grabbing. on 01/22/13 at 03:46 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

So, I step away for the afternoon, and actually do my job, only to come back to see A2Y in a civil war!

Nice!!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 01/22/13 at 03:49 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/22/13 at 03:46 PM ET

Nope, can’t say I did. I can’t get beyond the left picture, where there is cleavage and the word “bar”. Two of my favorite things, you know.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 01/22/13 at 03:51 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Nice!!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/22/13 at 03:49 PM ET

Sez you. cheese

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 01/22/13 at 03:52 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Color me stupid, but why is this:

D pairs tonight:

Kronwall - Lashoff
Q-Smith
White-Huskins

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/22/13 at 03:55 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Color me stupid, but why is this:

D pairs tonight:

Kronwall - Lashoff
Q-Smith
White-Huskins

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Looking for a “D” man on 01/22/13 at 03:55 PM ET

My only guess is they want Kronner, Smith and White to be the more offensive minded ones and Lashoff, Q and Husky to be the stay at home D-men?

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 01/22/13 at 03:58 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

That’s the only problem I have with how Holland has handled the past couple years; we’ve got such a backlog of bottom-6 forwards that the young guys are getting held back. I don’t think Emmerton is terrible, but he’s redundant; Mursak, well, it’s likely he won’t get his chance here; Eaves is the best of the bunch, but his future with concussions is uncertain; we know what we’ve got with Abdelkader, and he’s nothing special; Miller is a great PKer/model bottom-6 forward, and out of all of those guys would be the one I kept; Cleary is getting older, and his knee is suspect—however, I’d also keep him around.

Helm and Tootoo along with Cleary would be an ideal 3rd line for me, assuming Cleary gets back to some semblance of where he was a couple of years ago.

As was I, and as was I; I understand that this is probably Bert’s retirement contract, but two years isn’t insurmountable, and he’ll likely provide something for the remainder. Potential buyout candidate, in my opinion.

And then we add Sammy.  Not the 2007 Sammy.  The 6 year older Sammy.

That was a total head-scratcher, and I think a depth panic move by Holland. Another potential buyout candidate.

People have been saying this for years, but I think NOW is the time for Holland to prove he’s not slipping. Yes, I still support him, and yes I still have faith in his abilities as a GM, but if Nyquist and Tatar aren’t up full-time next season, I may have to start re-thinking my stance.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/22/13 at 03:33 PM ET

Good luck with that one, Bill.

The sad thing is, he makes some very good and valid points; it’s the delivery that leaves a lot to be desired.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 01/22/13 at 04:00 PM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

I like the idea of having a top 5 pick sit in Grand Rapids for 3 years.

Posted by SolidTG7 on 01/22/13 at 04:01 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

obviously you are not drinking enough of the blue liquid.

Look man, I drank it all and I’m not feeling a thing.

Color me stupid, but why is this:

D pairs tonight:

Kronwall - Lashoff
Q-Smith
White-Huskins

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Looking for a “D” man on 01/22/13 at 03:55 PM ET

What color is that, exactly?

I’m sure if the Man with no name/Smith pairing gets abused once or twice, we’ll see a quick swap.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 01/22/13 at 04:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Bullllllllshiiiiiiiiitttttt

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/22/13 at 03:46 PM ET

Sorry, it takes me a little longer to tap a reply with one hand.

Posted by RWBill from the Babcock school of cheese grabbing. on 01/22/13 at 04:05 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Sorry, it takes me a little longer to tap a reply with one hand.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/22/13 at 04:05 PM ET

I read that as “fap a reply,” and became serious impressed for a minute.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 01/22/13 at 04:06 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/22/13 at 03:46 PM ET

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/22/13 at 03:51 PM ET

I didn’t notice at first either, only after 5 or 6 minutes did my eyes move to the other picture.

Posted by RWBill from the Babcock school of cheese grabbing. on 01/22/13 at 04:08 PM ET

calquake's avatar

If Q is gonna be a stay at home guy then he needs to quit inviting the other team over for goals.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/22/13 at 04:01 PM ET

In my mind that’s the only way he stays on this team, being a stay-at-home defenseman.  And I’m not convinced he’s up to the task.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 01/22/13 at 04:10 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Sorry, it takes me a little longer to tap a reply with one hand.
Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/22/13 at 04:05 PM ET

I read that as “fap a reply,” and became serious impressed for a minute.
Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 01/22/13 at 04:06 PM ET

HAHAHAHA oh those were the days.  Not even sure a blue pill would get me there now.  Hey, back to “mrs huskins”.

Hmm that’s working!

Posted by RWBill from the Babcock school of cheese grabbing. on 01/22/13 at 04:15 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

This is Huskins wife, so we got something out of the deal after all
Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 01/22/13 at 03:35 PM ET

Leave it to 42Jeff to photoshop her drapes a reddish color and repost tonight in the first intermission.

Of course he’s a pilot and loves landing strips too.

Posted by RWBill from the Babcock school of cheese grabbing. on 01/22/13 at 04:18 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Staying at home entails being in the right position…. I’ve not seen that from this one. Even against the worst team in the league last year, he was out of his league last night.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/22/13 at 04:23 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/22/13 at 02:07 PM ET

When you pick, at best, in the middle of the pack each year, you can’t go drafting on need when better talent at another position is available. That’s why the Wings have ended up with very good organizational forward depth and promise (Pulkkinen, Jurco, Nyquist, Tatar, Jarnkrok, Sheahan, Ferraro—to add to the opportunities they had to sign Leino and now Brunner as essentially free agent prospects). The best talent that has presented itself to the Wings in the draft in recent years has been forward. Now it is up to Ken Holland to address the defensive needs by spinning some of that forward surplus into some D.

Or, as much as it pains me to admit it, maybe the calculus is telling him that it is time to let it ride out. Let this team play out the short season. If they’re in contention, good, see what Howie can do, maybe steal some games. And if they aren’t, maybe that’s when guys like Filppula and White hit the trade block around the deadline. Maybe the math says, it’s time to do a “rebuild” instead of the typical Red Wing “reload.”

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/22/13 at 04:27 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Geezo this joint is in playoff form.  I never remember such a must win second game of the season in my life, or so it seemed.

Jaromir Jagr is with the Stars?

I won’t comment on those D pairings because I’m not smart enough.  I would think Smith would be a D that needs a partner to cover him because he likes to roam and free lance.

Posted by RWBill from the Babcock school of cheese grabbing. on 01/22/13 at 04:28 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

The wings might be rusty, but the 19 are on their game.

If you aren’t careful, some of our redolent wit might get called up to play D. The back bench is full of over-ripe Fs and busted Ericssons.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/22/13 at 04:32 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

. .. I would think Smith would be a D that needs a partner who doesn’t suck yak balls because he likes to roam and free lance.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/22/13 at 04:28 PM ET

There, fixed that for you.

Posted by RedMenace from The Steve Ott Fan Club on 01/22/13 at 04:32 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/22/13 at 04:27 PM ET

I don’t disagree and my basement is already too full of newspaper clippings and red string to figure out what in the timeline Holland should have done specifically differently to avoid this outcome. Mostly I’m just not happy with the way the Wings’ defense is built. Whatever they do going forward, I want it to be the very best thing they can do both for short-term competitiveness and long-term sustainability, and just because I don’t know what that course of action is doesn’t mean that I want it any less.

In short, I’m spoiled and I want to keep being spoiled.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/22/13 at 04:33 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

so who is available and affordable for the Wings that all you armchair GMs think Kenny should pursue?

does it figure into your complaints that thanks to the salary cap the Wings are no longer the team the top players come to by choice, not for the money?  gone are the days where the Wings are the team you go to to win a Cup before you retire.  I don’t like it, you don’t like it, but we have to live with it.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/22/13 at 04:34 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Does the organ-i-zation have a placement for yak ball cleaners? #27 might have a lateral placement more appropriate to his skill set.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/22/13 at 04:35 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Shhhh. Homer is speaking about his retirement.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/22/13 at 04:38 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Isnt Homer having a press conference at 4:30?  Hey that’s now.

Posted by RWBill from the Babcock school of cheese grabbing. on 01/22/13 at 04:39 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

ROFL. Luck Luc told me to use a curved stick. I tried it once and almost got traded. That’s funny.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/22/13 at 04:42 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg said. “Homer, in his own way, tried to get the team fired up. In the same way, he made us loose, in his English-Swedish language. It was tough to understand him, both as North Americans and as Swedes.’‘

Asked what he’ll miss most about Holmstrom, goaltender Jimmy Howard said, “Just being around him every single day and not knowing what possibly could come out of his mouth, and then trying to understand it.”

Posted by RWBill from the Babcock school of cheese grabbing. on 01/22/13 at 04:45 PM ET

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »