Abel to Yzerman

Here We Go, Kenny

I fully anticipate a Red Wing victory tonight to "open" Little Caesars Arena.  Why? Because they're good?

No. Oh no, Kenny. This team that you (de) constructed is not good. You've made sure of that.

But, the adrenaline and the novelty and the crowd and the fact that the Wings are playing Ingalls sisters, minus Laura, and everyone's healthy (minus Kronwall, of course and Glendening, I think)...yeah, I think you can count on a win tonight.

And then? Just 39 more and you get your streak back, Kenny.  Because, we all know that since around 2010? That's all you've really cared about...hence our position as the *#$%@& team in hockey.

40 wins got Toronto in last year.  It's a reasonable goal, if your goal is the playoffs, this year.

What a shit show of a summer.  What a shit show of a year. What an absolute dumpster fire of a GM.

Ah well, at least Athanasiou's signed. I mean, that's what Ken Holland's always done, right? String them along, convince them to take a little less for the good of the team? The Red Wing Way.

Shittttttt, what way we talking about again?

Look. No. I'm not completely pessimistic. Not completely. I mean, yes, Ken Holland is so far out of his element right now that's it's honestly laughable. I'm not even angry anymore. He's just a hapless guy holding on because no one has the hubris to hoist his ass overboard. He's a cartoon.

But the team...there are possibilities. There is, in fact, youth and speed and talent up front.  And, umm, if Larkin and if Nyquist and if Abdelkader and about five others have even good years...

There is, actually, quality goaltending.

There is absolutely no defense. At all.

But, it's a new season. It's the spring time of our fading years.  Because October is our spring. If Ernie Harwell used to was poetic about the voices of turtles, we can discard the disdain we have for the most inept GM in all of hockey for a few weeks and allow ourselves to dream...

...of what? An 8 seed?

Yeah. There's your legacy, Kenny.  On October the frigging 5th, the best we can muster is a fleeting hope for a (nother) first round exit.

But...it is spring. It is the commencement of yet another season that could shock us.

40 games, Kenny.  That's all we ask in order to reach your ultimate goal, the 8 seed. Not out of the realm of possibility.  And, I know, most people would say, "40 games, Blash. That's all we ask..."   But Blash is you Kenny. Blash is Holland. We are alllllll Holland.

God help us all and Let's Go Red Wings.

It's a Live Blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

RWBill's avatar

No one around, anyone at the game tonight?

Me: 119-3-3.

Posted by RWBill on 10/05/17 at 03:30 PM ET

Yes, we’re alive!

Hóla Master Chief!

What’s up, Bitches!?

Leavington Novi Farmington Hills -275 right now for downtown, hoping to find a loose brass tap and loose women.

Posted by RWBill on 10/05/17 at 02:34 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Same roster, same coach, what could go wrong?

Posted by RWBill on 10/05/17 at 02:34 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Welcome to the season bitches. Hola Master Chief and RW.
I will be in the Mitten on Monday for a week myself but probably not make a game. Will try to check out the new digs and see if I have any of a city of Detroit pension left. LGRW

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 10/05/17 at 03:05 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Taking tomorrow off work and getting a fifth of crown tonight, because, well, that’s what this season needs.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 10/05/17 at 03:06 PM ET

dougie's avatar

The Chief is back! I never doubted that would be the case, except when I did.

I already put a quart of Va. ‘shine on the nightstand. I hope to be drinking it in celebration a bit later, but I can drink when I am pissed off ,too.

Posted by dougie on 10/05/17 at 03:08 PM ET

This team that you (de) constructed is not good.

I wish he’d deconstructed the team.

There might actually be some hope if he had deconstructed the team instead of keeping it essentially the same, just signing an OK veteran defenseman and a tall guy with a beard who makes every single forward and every single defenseman on the roster look better by comparison.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 10/05/17 at 03:12 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I will be at the the game tonight. Should be fun. grin

Posted by bigfrog on 10/05/17 at 03:12 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Yeah, we didn’t make any improvements. We do have roughly the same roster as last year. However, I wouldn’t call us the worst team in hockey. There’s about a half dozen teams that sucked as much as, or worse than us last season. Of those teams, only one (Dallas) made any sort of headway towards making it back into the postseason.

With that said, I do feel like KH could have done a much better job this offseason. It was clear after last season that we needed to make some significant changes.

I’m someone who tries to look at every situation with a positive attitude, no matter how insurmountable the odds may seem. This year? Listen, I love my team, but I’m not blind to all the problems we have. When the season comes to its inevitable end, I hope at least KH is sent to the unemployment line.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 10/05/17 at 03:13 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Signs of things to come?

Dan Cleary and Manny Legace walking the red carpet.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/05/17 at 03:14 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I wish he’d deconstructed the team.

Good point, that would mean he actually did something.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 10/05/17 at 03:15 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

I really like our team.

... just win

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/05/17 at 03:16 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 10/05/17 at 03:39 PM ET

Primis's avatar

This feels good.

It won’t feel good around game time, but right now…. it’s good to have you back Chief.

I wish I would be at the game tonight, or a game later this season… but I’ve been priced out of that possibility now it appears.

56 until 12, folks.

Posted by Primis on 10/05/17 at 03:45 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Sucks this game is on Gary’s basic cable network and not Ken & Mick with the call.

Even with “bounce back” years from multiple players I’m projecting 35-36 wins tops…and 82-84 points overall.

Lottery pick here we come!!!

Posted by Down River Dan on 10/05/17 at 04:05 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Ahoy hoy, Master Chief. Evenin” bitches.

Having A2Y back is the best thing that has happened so far this season.  wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 10/05/17 at 04:08 PM ET

No mention of Hudler making fox news for asking a flight attendant for cocaine, doing coke in the bathroom, threatening to have a flight attendant killed and trying to pee 9n a beverage cart?

Really?

Posted by ThatGuy on 10/05/17 at 04:11 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Wow just looked up the article. Czechoslovakian article. I translate with Chrome to English.

The article is not safe for work   NSFW - has a few pics with almost nudity.

The article is not safe for work   NSFW

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 10/05/17 at 04:40 PM ET

Welcome back Chief. Coming out of nowhere, like a Mitch Albom article.

Posted by aaron in phoenix from Section 102 on 10/05/17 at 04:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I would try to post an a photo of hit me Mick walking the red carpet but the phone is not good for detailed web work.

Posted by RWBill on 10/05/17 at 05:10 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Holy moly, Master Chief, that’s the most incoherent thing you’ve posted since the summer of: “We can sign both Franzen and Hossa. I know we can.”

But, hey, I get it. My abject hatred for Holland makes me babble like a skid-row drunk even when I’m sober. And Blashasshat? Well, there simply are no words to describe how I feel about the way that Babcock-wannabe has turned a mediocre team into a certified loser.

So, you ramble on incoherently, my friend. Most of us are right there with you. And it’s only going to get worse as the season moves along.

As for tonight? I’m hoping for a loss so epic that even Illitich Jr. will stop counting licensing fees long enough to ask, “What the hell was that?”

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/05/17 at 05:37 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Howie taking rubber in warm ups

Posted by RWBill on 10/05/17 at 06:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I don’t know how good his hands are, but hands-down the best 70s hair is Booth.

Posted by RWBill on 10/05/17 at 06:07 PM ET

Glad I’m not the only one that noticed Booth’ s snitching hair.

Posted by sapper78e on 10/05/17 at 06:20 PM ET

Bitchin dammit, bitchin.

Posted by sapper78e on 10/05/17 at 06:22 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Hockey’s back and I’m cheering for my Wings.  LGRW!!!

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 10/05/17 at 06:23 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

lgrw a 40 win season? wow more wins than i would guess.  35 wins at most.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 10/05/17 at 06:23 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Hello, y’all! Lets get this party started. smile I hope everyone has had a great summer. Hopefully the Wings don’t deliver a huge shit burger for us to have. Looking forward to seeing what a little more speed could mean for the team.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 10/05/17 at 06:30 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Hejsan allesammans !!!
Finally Hockey season…Let’s Go Red Wings   clap clap clap

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 10/05/17 at 06:33 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Hola, bitches!  Let’s see if Mantha, Frk, Jensen, Oulette& Daley can contribute.

Posted by w2j2 on 10/05/17 at 06:34 PM ET

Let’s Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's Chair on 10/05/17 at 06:46 PM ET

164 point season here we come

LGRW!!!

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 10/05/17 at 06:47 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Look at those Octopi! F you, PETA!

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/05/17 at 06:48 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

1st octopus thrown. LGRW

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 10/05/17 at 06:48 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

hey, gang

great job, Karen
looks like a packed house
time for an octopi or two

let’s drop the puck and

... just win

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/05/17 at 06:48 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

pregame song

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 10/05/17 at 06:48 PM ET

game on