Abel to Yzerman

Heat Got You Down?  Read About Roy’s Self-Destruction

For more than 7 years we’ve had a few constants here at A2Y: unbiased, even-handed analysis of the greatest franchise in professional sport, a love for bright, clean, shiny fire trucks, the misuse of commas in a long-winded, descriptive phrase, puppies, hookers and the Czech midget pimps who love them, warm PBR, cheddar cheese and the unbridled, perverse joy we feel when fans of the teams we hate are sad.

Having said that, we give you this today with a thanks to WIIM for the pointer and the Backhand Shelf for the brilliance.

The record books will tell you that goal was scored by Brendan Shanahan, assisted by Steve Yzerman and Nick Lidstrom. Don’t believe it. That goal was scored by Patrick Roy’s Enormous Ego, unassisted.

After the game, Roy put on what has to be one of the greatest postgame performances of all time, by not only showing up to the media scrum but literally refusing to acknowledge the goal happened.

Read the rest and then read it again.  Then send it to a Dive fan, if you can find any.  And then read it again because it’s awesome.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

dougie's avatar

Linkee no workee

Posted by dougie on 07/17/12 at 10:58 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Roy was never the same after that goal.  Two days later on a hot May evening, we ushered him out of his last conference finals appearance scoring four goals on ten shots before the halfway point of the second.

I was honored to be in the stands to see him off the rink for the last time in a playoff game at the JLA.

The Wings essentially book-ended Roy’s Habs and Avs careers, the 11-1 win in Montreal was Roy’s last game in a Habs uniform:

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/17/12 at 11:33 AM ET

gowings's avatar

I was there when the Wings won 11-1 ...sitting behind Roy….After the cup, this moment is just too precious…I still have the tickets….I remember my dad sitting next to me and he said “stop cheering for the Wings, your dad will not make it out of the Forum alive..”

Good times:)

Posted by gowings from MTL on 07/17/12 at 11:42 AM ET

gowings's avatar

PS. Dad was a MTL fan…..some said I was not really his daughter for not encouraging the same team…

Posted by gowings from MTL on 07/17/12 at 11:44 AM ET

Bent's avatar

Chief, this article made my day.  I will now have that image in my head the rest of the day, and smile.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 07/17/12 at 11:44 AM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

Such a good story.  I love happy endings.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 07/17/12 at 11:45 AM ET

yzer19man's avatar

Remembering this brings me pure joy. Tears of joy. Oh, what a day. It shall never be forgotten. Thank you Patricia for being the extreme egomaniac that you are

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 07/17/12 at 11:52 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I was there when the Wings won 11-1

Me too, that was the first Wings game I saw in person.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/17/12 at 12:00 PM ET

gusoline's avatar

This and Lidstrom’s goal from the red line are two plays that I will never forget.  Makes me smile just thinking about it.

Posted by gusoline on 07/17/12 at 12:07 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Thanks for the link Chief.  Thats good mojo right there.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/17/12 at 12:07 PM ET

Aphaea's avatar

I was in Colorado helping to finish up the last minute details for my sister’s wedding that day. Leading up to the game everyone on the groom’s side (except for the groom, smart man) was giving me crap and telling me how the Avs would win game 6 and the Wings suck, etc. After the game they lost a lot of their bluster and whenever they tried to start something all I had to do was repeat Gary Thorne’s call: “The goal counts! The goal counts! The goal counts!” It was even sweeter a couple days later to see the Wings shell Roy and send the Dive packing. I’d like to say I was able to rise above it and didn’t taunt them after the series win, but on the morning of June 1st I pulled my best Nelson Muntz and laughed at all of them. The corpse of Emily Post may have clutched her pearls at that lack of decorum, but I don’t regret a second of it.

Posted by Aphaea on 07/17/12 at 12:24 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Hasek swoons to the ice like a Victorian matron on her fainting couch…

Has anyone ever written a better description of Hasek? It almost makes you want to see him make a comeback this year. Almost.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/17/12 at 12:40 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

That goal will stick with me forever too.  I was on the last night of a six month deployment to Qatar watching the game with a 2 hr delay on AFN.  I can still vividly recall me sitting there in our squadron break room shooing off the pervs who came in to change the channel to the Italian news channel we also got…the weather lady periodically would wear something very…very…very revealing.

Anyway…what was I saying?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 07/17/12 at 01:50 PM ET

the weather lady periodically would wear something very…very…very revealing.

Anyway…what was I saying?

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 07/17/12 at 11:50 AM ET

You were talking about some hottie with too many vowels in her last name on an Italian weather report channel.  Dude, that’s a posting foul, WTH…???  LOL

I watched that game live and I couldn’t believe that shit happened.  “Patrick Roy was caught hot-dogging it,” says the TV announcer and I could not stop laughing all the way through Game Seven.

The crybabies in the Ass Can was just as precious.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/17/12 at 02:03 PM ET

Hasek swoons to the ice like a Victorian matron on her fainting couch…

Agreed. And, agreed

Posted by wingsluver4ever from Hockeytown North on 07/17/12 at 02:04 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

That moment, and the rest of the series, everything was right in the world of hockey.

People who are assholes as big as Patrick Roy was deserve to have all of this shit come crashing down on them on a stage as large as the Western Conference Finals.

I don’t believe there’s some grandiose universal sin ledger waiting to give a proper comeuppance to everybody who deserves it, but I don’t care. Nothing is ever going to diminish the memory of Patrick Roy trying to show off and costing himself a game that, up to that point, every single one of us thought the Red Wings were going to dominate and lose.

And don’t any of you try to tell me you hadn’t been thinking that at the time. We’ll know you’re lying.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/17/12 at 02:09 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

The sad (hilarious) end of what could be the greatest rivalry in sports history…at least the history that matters.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/17/12 at 02:51 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I remember that game.  I was so tense (as I always am during Wings playoff games but this was a potential elimination game so even more)  thinking (as J.J. pointed out) that the Wings would dominate and lose and then…the goal.

I needed this today.  Thank you, Chief.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 07/17/12 at 02:56 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

The only thing that piece lacked was a link to a video of that goal.

Here is the best one I found:

What if Patrick Roy wasn’t a pretentious douchebag?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/17/12 at 03:54 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

That honestly might have been as stressed out as I’ve ever been going into a playoff game, and I think most of you have a damn good idea of just what a monumental statement that is.

But that goal—that awesome, so-perfect-in-so-many-ways goal—totally changed everything.  I laughed out loud and peed myself.  I felt righteous, giddy, redeemed and satisfied all at once.  And game seven that followed?  Many of us went from emitting low whimpering noises curled up in the fetal position leading up to game six to laughing our asses off for the majority of game seven.  We went from grimly standing at the gallows waiting for the hangman to string us up, to suddenly slipping the noose and finding ourselves out for a walk in the park on the most perfect sunny day ever.  Puppies and fire trucks indeed.  Throw in a coney dog, a stripper named Mandi (working her way through nursing school of course) and a frothy cold beer while you’re at it.  Has there ever been a more perfect and fulfilling two games of Red Wing hockey???

The proof lies in the fact that it never gets old.  It still makes us all feel like kids on Christmas morning to this day.  So thanks for bringing it up again.  Even on a warm July day the warm feeling hits me just right.  And yes, before you ask, I peed myself all over again.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/17/12 at 05:12 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Many of us…stopped wearing pants and started listening to nannerpuss…

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/17/12 at 03:12 PM ET

Fixed it for you…kinda…what you said is so much more pharmaceutical. Or maybe mine is.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/17/12 at 05:57 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Welcome to Thursdays at my house.

Posted by calquake on 07/17/12 at 06:02 PM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

Patty Waaah’s EPIC FAIL swansong.  Yes…...Yessssss…...YEEESSSSSS!

What a great way to get through the rest of my day.

I still hate that f*cking prick.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 07/17/12 at 06:30 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I still hate that f*cking prick.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City… on 07/17/12 at 04:30 PM ET

I sometimes wish there was a “Like” button on this blog.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/17/12 at 08:26 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

JFC Chief, I do my best work since “Power Play is not a factor in the playoffs” by posting the stunning, born-from-twin-eggs likenesses of Teemu Plulkinnen and that Creep from Cheers, and you instantly change threads.  Maybe that would be his best 19 nickname, “Woody”, or “Cheers”.  Anything but Teeemmu.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/17/12 at 08:29 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I received my own self-birthday-present in the mail today.  Nice T-Shirt.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/17/12 at 10:08 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Where do I get one of those Bill?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 07/18/12 at 09:57 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

The Tee shirts at Down With Detroit are somewhat thin but comfortable material and over priced, but hold up to wear and washing, and are the most uniquely Michigan-Centric apparel I’ve seen.  Their Facebook page frequently updates during Detroit teams’ games.

Fu-king Awesome Lakes

Another of my faves that I have.

I Still Call it Home.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/18/12 at 01:15 PM ET

....living in utah, the avs are our local hockey broadcast…...not a bad alternative, really…..i’m working in park city, and one of my buddies is a crazy avs fan…..i don’t hesitate to give him a raft of dreck regarding st. patty’s gaffe…..his confidence is, of course, not the least diminished (he’s an avfan, after all ).....

...so now the conversation turns to the seventh game…...his gambit is that the wings were lucky to sneak out a victory in denver, and i should expect a night of disappointment…..i looked at him and said…...wings…6-0…..a twelvepack of beer as the bet…..he insisted on upping it to a case…...

....the rest is a shared drunken appreciation of the super-studded-flying -snowtire-from hell…..

Posted by dingus from the salty great lake on 07/18/12 at 09:12 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Now long time A2Y favorite iCarly is the latest Neutrogena face wash girl.  Thank goodness she’s finally old enough for that.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/19/12 at 12:10 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Fu-king Awesome Lakes

Those are pretty good.  The Vagina one got the biggest laugh out of me.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/19/12 at 09:13 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Those are pretty good.  The Vagina one got the biggest laugh out of me.
Posted by monkey from pushing Jimmy Howard on 07/19/12 at 07:13 AM ET

I snotted at the “I’m with Stupid” with the arrow pointing at Ohio…

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 07/19/12 at 09:37 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by monkey from pushing Jimmy Howard on 07/19/12 at 07:13 AM ET
Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 07/19/12 at 07:37 AM ET

Yeah they’re very inventive and uniquely Michigan inspired.  I have one with the Detroit skyline with the Stanley Cup perched on top the Ren Cen.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/19/12 at 03:32 PM ET

One bookend…

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/20/12 at 02:23 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Yvonne Strahovski

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/22/12 at 08:47 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

From TSN———-

After months of speculation, the Columbus Blue Jackets have finally parted ways with Rick Nash, trading the winger to the New York Rangers. Pending a trade call to make it official, the deal will see centres Artem Anisimov and Brandon Dubinsky, defenceman Tim Erixon and a first-round pick going to Columbus.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! In ’13

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/23/12 at 05:28 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

That does not seem like much of a sacrifice for a big stud liked Nash.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/23/12 at 06:16 PM ET

monkey's avatar

If Weber goes to Philly, that’s a metric shit-ton of talent that has vacated the Central Division.

Off the top of my head:

Nicklas Lidstrom
Brad Stuart
Shea Weber*
Ryan Suter
Rick Nash

*yeah, yeah, yeah, not yet.  But that deal was designed to *#$%@& Nashville, no question.

Things are going to be a lot different next season.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/23/12 at 06:37 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Parise = No
Suter = No
Weber = No
Nash = No

Summer of Ken = not so sunny

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/23/12 at 07:11 PM ET

Things are going to be a lot different next season.

Posted by monkey from pushing Jimmy Howard on 07/23/12 at 04:37 PM ET

Except for Detroit, it’ll be like a revisit to when the Central was the doormat for points for a lot of teams.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/23/12 at 07:22 PM ET