Abel to Yzerman

Good Day, Mr I.  Now Keep It Going. We’ll Even Live Blog It For You.

Hey St. Louis, weren’t you in the running for Prince Fielder?  Gosh. Just not your best week.

It’s relevant because Mr. I’s a Wing, and he’s a Tiger.  Mike Ilitch had himself a day like he used to have back before Gary Bettman ruined the NHL with his idiocy, his Cap that doesn’t work, a lockout that accomplished nothing and the Streisand wardrobe he wears in private consultations with Brian Burke.

I can’t confirm that so, for the sake of the Empire, I take it back.  That last part.

Honestly, this day has tired me out.

It’s an Original 6 classic, one that should occur four times per year. That could have happened up until three weeks ago, when Gary killed the realignment. Oh yes he did.

Hockey’s best team, guided and molded by hockey’s greatest coach, led by the best defenseman in hockey history and backstopped by the best goalie on earth, plow into Montreal and in honor of the occasion…

...It’s a Live Blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 7 8 9

Primis's avatar

Zetterberg is second on the team in assists and fourth in points.  I want him to score more goals as well but I can’t see the guy as trade bait.

Posted by monkey from the morel high ground on 01/26/12 at 03:57 PM ET

It goes beyond sheer numbers though,  He’s not doing the little things, and quite frankly he seems to coast his way through entire games.  He seems downright lazy.

Posted by Primis on 01/27/12 at 01:54 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

wait until the playoffs.  seriously.

also, he may have a nagging injury that we don’t know about.  that seems to be a common factor in players who appear to be “coasting.”

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/27/12 at 02:09 PM ET

Norskirama's avatar

The hat trick clip was fantabulous!  Thanks SYF.

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 01/27/12 at 03:51 PM ET

[takes a bow]

Cheers, 19.  Guinness - it’s not just for breakfast anymore.

We had this conversation last summer right before the playoffs started:  is there a switch?  In ‘08, I didn’t think there was because almost every game was a full-tilt boogie but it wore out our guys in the next season.  Fatigue creeped in.

Last summer, Zata and Uncle Mike implicitly opposed each other in the press interviews.  Zata said there was a switch; Uncle Mike said there’s no such thing, IIRC.

This year, I think it’s even more pronounced and we’ve seen it in the brilliant games (i.e. the 3-1 winner over the B’Lose) and then the absolute stinkers (1-5 loss to the Isles - the friggin’ perpetually rebuilding Isles).  Those are two distinctly different Wings teams.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/27/12 at 05:30 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

The hat trick clip was fantabulous!  Thanks SYF.

Too bad it didn’t show the part with his kids waiting for him after the game. His oldest son had on his $25 jearesy and did a flying leap leap into Dad’s arms.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/27/12 at 06:11 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

#25 jersey that is.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/27/12 at 06:12 PM ET

Holy shit, I’m bored with homework.  Clicky for a good laugh.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/27/12 at 06:18 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

That’s flippin’ awesome, thanks for sharing SYF.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/27/12 at 07:35 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Good old fashioned hate right there on a Friday afternoon.

And St Lose and/or Chicago thinks they have a rivalry with Detroit.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 01/27/12 at 07:42 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Just a little something to somewhat take the sting off of a ridiculous game.

Posted by SYF from Dr. Ima Tearadikov’s “Office” on 01/26/12 at 05:26 PM ET

Just now had a chance to check it out.  Thanks for making me smile after a very rough day at work.

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/27/12 at 07:57 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Posted by SYF from Dr. Ima Tearadikov’s “Office” on 01/27/12 at 03:18 PM ET

Don’t stop ever man.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/27/12 at 10:03 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I was dredging the depths and found an article my John Buccigross where he mentioned Z.

Shooting less as he ages, 4.77 shots a game in ‘07-08, 3.16 this year. This is the fourth straight year his goals per game has gone down. He looks older than 31. Better goal scorer in the playoffs than the regular season. I like that. A former Conn Smythe winner. I’d rather win one of those than a Hart.

Emphasis mine.  I thought it was an interesting assessment.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/29/12 at 06:39 PM ET

monkey's avatar

If by flipping the switch he means almost accomplishing something against the Sharks, I’ll stay on Babs’ side.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/29/12 at 06:40 PM ET