Abel to Yzerman

Go Sharks Go!

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

The San Jose Sharks have advanced to round two of the playoffs, which is good for the Detroit Red Wings.

One former coach, however, is done after another short playoff run. Again.

When the Sharks rallied from a 3-0 deficit in a memorable Game 7 on Tuesday, it propelled them one step closer to the Stanley Cup final.

Why should Wings fans care about that? Because if the Sharks make it to the last round, the conditional 2020 third-round pick they received from the Sharks in the Gustav Nyquist trade would become a second-round pick. It can also be triggered by Nyquist re-signing with the Sharks.

continued

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

MurrayChadwick's avatar

That 5 minute penalty was a travesty to that series, LV Knights were clearly in control and deserved to win that game.  Sometimes a bad call can swing a goal, but 4 goals is utter BS in my book.  I didn’t even see either orange stripe have their arm up, and had Stastny not skated through, would not have been called at all, no harm no foul.

But I guess its good for the Wings.

Nyquist has deserved a bit more ice time, might be a factor of matchups or having the fresh legs, but he’s done well with the limited role he’s been place in I thought.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/24/19 at 12:00 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Nope, still not rooting for the fishies.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 04/24/19 at 12:31 PM ET

Nyquist has been ok.

3 assists.

He’s not unnoticeable.

But he still struggles to win battles and get inside opponents to the net.

He looks like more of a transporter who gets the puck to a teammate and never
sees it again while he sort of floats out on the periphery. When I’ve seen him behind the net
with the puck he’s not been able to maintain possession or drive into position to take a shot or center the puck.
It doesn’t look like his teammates are looking to him as a shooter or key playmaker in the offensive zone.

With Pavelski and Donskoi perhaps still out they’re going to need a little more from him.

Posted by lefty.30 on 04/24/19 at 12:33 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Barclay Goodrow scored for the Sharks in OT last night.

Anyone remember this?

The Sharks drafted him the following year.

via the North Bay Battalion in Sept., 2013

NORTH BAY, Ont. – Barclay Goodrow decided professional hockey can wait a year.

Right winger Goodrow elected to play an overage season, his fifth in the Ontario Hockey League, with the North Bay Battalion rather than seek a position in the American Hockey League.

Goodrow attended the rookie camp of the National Hockey League’s Detroit Red Wings as a free agent and, after helping win a prospects tournament at Traverse City, Mich., advanced to the main camp. Goodrow then was invited to camp with the Grand Rapids Griffins, Detroit’s American Hockey League affiliate, but chose to rejoin the Troops.

“I was given the option to go the Grand Rapids camp and maybe sign an AHL contract,” Battalion captain Goodrow said via telephone Tuesday. “But I figured for my development it would be better to come back to the OHL for one last season and get lots of ice time playing in all situations. Grand Rapids looks like it will be a very good team, and my ice time could have been limited.

“There are some unbelievable players in that organization. We won the Traverse City tournament, and they have a lot of good prospects and they’re very deep in that area. I talked about it with my agent and discussed each scenario. Detroit is a good organization to be a part of, but for now playing one more season of junior is my best scenario.”

“When you see how the Red Wings operate, you can understand why they produce the kinds of players they do. It was a great opportunity to skate with guys like Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall and to shoot on Jimmy Howard. It helped me out a lot, and I have a lot of things I can bring back to North Bay.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/24/19 at 12:38 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Still not enough for me to ever root for the Sharks.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/24/19 at 01:56 PM ET

Maybe two people cheered the OT win here in Vegas.

Vegas choked twice:  3-1 series lead and a 3-0 game seven lead.

Posted by SYF from a deja vu of the 85-86 season on 04/24/19 at 01:56 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

Between Kane trying to be the hero EVERY TIME HE HAD THE PUCK and Jumbo being three steps behind the play ALL the time, I can’t believe Sharkie pulled this one off.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 04/24/19 at 04:09 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

Also, hey, in a wacky first round, I did get two series totally right! Dallas in 6 and Sharkie in 7!

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 04/24/19 at 04:11 PM ET

Chet's avatar

It was an unlucky and unfortunate play that was not a 5-min major. Once it became that, Vegas should’ve probably allowed far fewer than 4 goals. Amazing turn of events.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/24/19 at 08:11 PM ET

I think the whole rule is wrong. A team should be allowed a maximum of 2 goals in 5 minutes PP.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/24/19 at 09:34 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Why 2?  Why not 1?  Why not 4?  I think every penalty should be a major penalty, whether 2 minutes or 5 minutes, with no option for the player to return before the entire time has elapses.  Time to stop punishing the 1980s Edmonton Oilers for being good.

Posted by RWBill on 04/25/19 at 09:45 AM ET

I disagree. PP already plays a bigger role in hockey than it should imo. Considering penalty calls are so subjective in many cases and not consistent.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/25/19 at 11:37 AM ET