Abel to Yzerman

GDT - WC Quarterfinals, Game 2: Red Wings (0-1) at Predators (1-0)  (7:30)

Round 2 of the main event is tonight in NSH.  In the immortal words of Michael Buffer,Let’s Get Ready to Rumble.  Welcome to the league that ass-clown, Gary built; quite literally a three-ring circus.  17 penalties called in game 1.  You’d have been whistled for skating the wrong direction, you see the NHL is cracking down for the playoffs.  But try to drive a guys head through the glass, break his lid; no problem there.  In this league then, it is okay to target the opponents head, just so long as you don’t succeed in “apparently injuring” the opponent (note however, it is okay to break their helmet in more than one place).  I’m going to try this line of so-called reasoning next time I’m in Court defending an A & B case; your Honor my client did try to put the victim’s head through the wall, twice - - but the victim wasn’t hurt.

Onto to the under-card.  Helm is done. Nyquist in and to the 3rd line. Miller down to the 4 line.  Since I’m no pharmacist, I’d appreciate insight as to why the disappearing Moose trick remains on the 2 line.

Who the fuch knows what to expect next?  The Wings get marks for effort (Stu had a bad night, but he shouldn’t be a -3, he did score one).

LGRW - screw the NHL.

END REGULAR SEASON RECORD:

DET:  82 GP,  48-28-6,  102 pts, (5 in Conf, 3 in Central), 248 GF, 203 GA, Last 10 4-4-2, OT 1

NSH:  82 GP,  48-26-8,  104 pts, (4 in Conf, 2 in Central), 237 GF, 210 GA, Last 10 6-4-0,  WON 3

DET road:  17-21-3 (20)
NSH home:  26-10-5 (6)

END REGULAR SEASON STATS (rank):

DET:  .622 point% (9), 2.92 G/G (7), 2.44 GA/G (6),  1.44 5-5 F/A (1), 16.1 PP% (22), 81.8 PK% (18), 32.2 S/G (5), 27.0 SA/G (3), 51.6 FO% (6).

NSH:  .634 point% (5), 2.83 G/G (8), 2.50 GA/G (10), 1.05 5-5 F/A (10), 21.6 PP% (1), 83.6 PK% (10), 27.6 S/G (25), 30.8 SA/G (20), 49.0 FO% (22).

Goal Differential/Game:
DET = +0.48
NSH = +0.33

PLAYOFF STATS(rank):

DET:  0.00 point% (8), 2.00 G/G (8), 3.00 GA/G (10),  0.00 5-5 F/A (12), 25.0 PP% (4), 100.0 PK% (1), 37.0 S/G (4), 26.0 SA/G (4), 51.6 FO% (5).

NSH:  1.00 point% (12), 3.00 G/G (4), 2.00 GA/G (5), 0.50 5-5 F/A (8), 0.00 PP% (6), 66.7 PK% (14), 26.0 S/G (11), 37.0 SA/G (13), 48.4 FO% (9).

PLAYER STATS - PLAYOFFS:

NSH: Hot:
No hot players

NSH: Not Hot:
No cold players

Injury Report:
DET:
Joey MacDonald (G) Back spasms (Sidelined indefinitely)
Patrick Eaves (RW) Jaw injury (Injured reserve)
Jakub Kindl (D) Undisclosed (Day to day)
Darren Helm (C) Mangled tendons (Sidelined indefinitely)

NSH:
Brian McGrattan (RW) Upper body injury (Day to day)
Hal Gill (D) Lower body injury (Day to day)
————————————————————————————————————
Head to Head:
DATE VIS/HOME FINAL
Mar 30, 2012 NSH @ DET NSH, 4 - 1
Mar 10, 2012 DET @ NSH NSH, 3 - 2
Feb 17, 2012 NSH @ DET DET, 2 - 1
Dec 26, 2011 DET @ NSH DET, 4 - 1
Dec 15, 2011 DET @ NSH NSH, 4 - 3
Nov 26, 2011 NSH @ DET DET, 4 - 1

————————————————————————————————————
Nike in to the 3 line, Miller down to the 4 line.  Moose inexplicably still on the 2 line.

The Wings Thursday practice lines:

Valterri Filppula-Henrik Zetterberg-Jiri Hudler
Johan Franzen-Pavel Datsyuk-Todd Bertuzzi
Nyquist-Justin Abdelkader-Danny Cleary
Miller-Cory Emmerton-Tomas Holmstrom

Nicklas Lidstrom-Jonathan Ericsson
Niklas Kronwall-Brad Stuart
Kyle Quincey-Ian White

Jimmy Howard

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Joe Z.'s avatar

Dear Red Wings,

chasing Rinne and giving Weber a -5 would be a huge satisfaction for me.
...aaaaand please continue this 100% PK, it simply rocks.

LGRW!

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 04/13/12 at 09:50 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

LGRW - screw the NHL.

Exackery!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/13/12 at 09:57 AM ET

Fuch U, NHL

Posted by Red Winger from work on 04/13/12 at 09:58 AM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

Anything less than 17 penalties called would be an improvement, but you watch they will call absolutely nothing instead which will probably benefit Nashville since they seem to want to goon it up some.

Posted by SolidTG7 on 04/13/12 at 10:11 AM ET

Friday 13th…..Pavel 13th…. lucky or not??

Posted by Nat from MTL on 04/13/12 at 10:15 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

I can’t imagine the reasoning behind not suspending someone because they ended up not being hurt in spite of what was attempted.  You intentionally smash someone’s head into the glass so hard that their fugging helmet breaks in multiple places, in a league that is “cracking down on head shots”  it’s absolutely laughable, and they ought to be ashamed of themselves.  Seriously.  I knew he wasn’t going to get suspended, but it still burns.

Honestly, the thing that upsets me the most, is what I now think of Brendan Shanahan.  He was my favorite Wing for several years.  A true leader out there.  Now, he’s a motherfuching nothing.  That’s right, a nothing.

I know the Wings aren’t going to run around out there head hunting, and I truly fail to see what good would come from anyone fighting him.  Unless it was Cleary, or Emmerton.  Everyone else is too valuable.  What I would like to see though, is curly fries for Zata.  And I would love to see him skate over to Weber and point at him after every goal.  That would be epic.  (Won’t happen, but it would be awesome.)

A head smashed into the glass so hard that the helmet breaks… and no suspension.  It won’t happen today, but some day I will get too sick of this shit, and will just stop watching.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/13/12 at 10:21 AM ET

MarkK's avatar

From the nhl.com preview:

Stat Pack: Detroit and Nashville combined for 17 penalties in Game 1 - seven by the Red Wings and 12 by the Predators - after finishing the season as the League’s two least penalized teams.

For the NHL, 7+12=17.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 04/13/12 at 10:27 AM ET

Can’t you hear Bettman whispering to the zebras? “He’s good for the league, so we let him free… but pay attention to the penalties, okay”.

Wings will have plenty of powerplays tonite, and will need the PP to be the enforcer. Make them pay on the ice.

Posted by Herm from the office on 04/13/12 at 10:29 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/13/12 at 08:21 AM ET

Deuce, I said it yesterday - I am ashamed for being a fan of this garbage.  I stopped being an NHL fan quite some time ago.  I’m just a Wings fan - and even that is getting difficult after the Weber farce.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/13/12 at 10:30 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

So, I’m curious.  What would have happened if one player took a swing at someones head and missed if there would be a suspension.  Like a bc 2 hander that just happens to miss?  Suspension?  Or let go because no one is injured?

OK, I’m don’t bringing it up now.  I’m just so totally pissed after finding out that Z helmet was broke.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/13/12 at 10:34 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

How’s about a little perspective:

$2,500 fine - $7,500,000 salary?

Lets drop a couple zeros. $25 fine - $75,000 salary.

That’s about right.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/13/12 at 10:53 AM ET

As long as Brad Meier and Chris Rooney aren’t the officials again I can be mildly hopeful things won’t get ridiculous.  Unless….anyone know if the garden gnome is going to be in attendance again?

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/13/12 at 10:53 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I tried watching the B’s/Caps and the Blues/Sharts last night.  Normally I’m really into playoff hockey no matter who is playIng.  I just couldn’t get into the games with the farce that happened with the non suspension.  In the back of my mind I kept wondering who would be the next player to get hacked.  A real distraction.

Good job NHL.  Way to turn off a 30+ year fan of the game.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/13/12 at 11:06 AM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

So Weber has been given a Mulligan, of sorts… a second chance to actually succeed at cracking someone’s skull. Way to go Shanny… mad

Posted by SandysWingingit on 04/13/12 at 11:45 AM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

NHL office is a joke and has been a joke for some time…

LGRW!

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 04/13/12 at 11:46 AM ET

Since71's avatar

And then they joke about it at practice the following day.  I’m actually happy this happened because I know it will light the *#$%@& fire under the Red Wings collective asses and we’ll see a spirited game 2.  At least I hope all of these things…

Posted by Since71 from Bucharest, Romania on 04/13/12 at 11:54 AM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

We all ready for more of this?

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/13/12 at 12:37 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

There’s no explaining nor logic to the mind set of “no suspension unless the target is injured enough to miss games”, so I’m trying to move on.

Plenty of reasons for Gloom, Despair, and Agony on me.  The Wings played a very good 2d and 3rd period, especially on the road, dominating Nashville for long periods, outshooting the home team 32-13.  Nashville’s margin of victory came on fluke bounces.  Detroit shutout the league’s best PP 6 times, and scored on 25% of its own.  Radulov was held to one shot on goal.

And we still lost.  Down 0-1, Detroit could hardly play better, especially on the road, will probably play worse, and Nashville will most assuredly be better.

Odds and facts put Nashville in a better position to win Game 2 than Game 1.

Hit me with a double, bartender.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/13/12 at 12:44 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

Lets drop a couple zeros. $25 fine - $75,000 salary.

So, lets cut that into a third to match a graduate student stipend.  Following this logic, it would cost me $8.33 and no further consequences to bash a colleagues head into a window. Or perhaps a visiting colleague, to make the analogy more proper.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 04/13/12 at 12:46 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/13/12 at 10:44 AM ET

Truth…

Posted by pgoody on 04/13/12 at 12:52 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/13/12 at 08:21 AM ET

Shanahan was one of my all time favorites too.  Loved the guy as a player.  In my room downstairs I have a Red Wing wall of fame.  Last night when I got home, Shanahan’s pic was removed and destroyed.

Good job NHL.  Way to turn off a 30+ year fan of the game.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Lidstrom’s head telling him 1 more year on 04/13/12 at 09:06 AM ET

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/13/12 at 08:30 AM ET

As for that “some day” when we give up NHL hockey completely that has probably crossed all of our minds by now, that day may have arrived for me.  I usually love playoff time.  But last night?  I watched nothing.  As of this moment, I have no desire to watch another game this fuching lame ass joke of a league is involved in—ever.

I’ve been a fan for 40+ years but this really feels like a last straw.  In all honesty at this point I feel about 50/50 as to whether I’ll even watch tonight’s Detroit game.  And for anyone who knows me and understands my love for this sport and this team, the fact that I feel this way mere hours before game two of an opening round playoff series speaks volumes.  But right now it’s going to be a “game time decision” for me as to whether I subject myself to more of this amateur hour horseshit masquerading as a professional sports league or whether I free myself from it once and for all.

I hate the NHL with a white hot passion and that just might finally be enough to call it quits.  In any case, fuch the NHL and fuch you brendan shanahan (aka gary’s little bitch).

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/13/12 at 01:00 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

We got some whiny bitches on board the Hasek today. That’s ok…it’ll make the win tonight all the sweeter. Z with 3 points. I don’t care how he gets them, but he’ll have 3 points.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/13/12 at 01:08 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Happy Friday the 13th!  By the by, I have held a grudge toward the player formerly known as Shanny since he left the Wings. Apparently he has proven me right.

Any way, enough of this sh!t cause what’s done is done. The best way back, is to fill up the Nashville net with cold as ice pucks. Revenge is a dish, best served cold.

All that matters right now is the WIN. Whatever it takes.

Thanks OAkie.

Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/13/12 at 01:10 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Any way, enough of this sh!t cause what’s done is done.

Atta girl Kate. Deep down, we all expected the outcome, no point in dwelling.
Rally the troops and onward into battle, bitches.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/13/12 at 01:22 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Khan tweets the lines:

Wings will start game with these lines and D pairs:
51-40-26
93-13-44
14-8-11
20-48-96

5-52
55-23
27-18

Why Moose continues to merit #2 line time still baffles me.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/13/12 at 02:01 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

enough of this sh!t cause what’s done is done.

If only we could say with confidence that it’s not going to happen again and again and again and again…

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/13/12 at 02:10 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

As a fan you want to have a voice and feel you have a voice.

NHL, Inc., is run in such a way that that is impossible.  The intentional disconnect with its traditional fan base in favor of preferential treatment for the Commissioner’s pet project teams makes it a cold, antagonistic, and unlikeable authority figure.  Continuing to be a fan makes you resent yourself and requires a shower to thoroughly hose off the smarm.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/13/12 at 02:14 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Anyone suggest a gathering place for Wings fans in the Daytona Beach area - like Buffalo Wild Wings or other?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/13/12 at 02:23 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

We got some whiny bitches on board the Hasek today.
Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/13/12 at 11:08 AM ET

Any way, enough of this sh!t cause what’s done is done.
All that matters right now is the WIN. Whatever it takes.
Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!
Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/13/12 at 11:10 AM ET

You’re both right; time to move on. But never forget.

In 10 years, when Mr. I puts on some spectacular to honor the 25th anniversary of the ‘97 win that broke the long slump, I hope the crowd at (Fill in the blank) Corp Arena showers Brendan with repeated chants of FUCH YOU SHANNY! (If Mr. I invites him at all.)

Retribution will wait until next year during the regular season (if there is one). No one in the locker will forget and every man in that room knows the playoffs are not the time for retribution. Maybe by then we will have a Grimson or McCarty type in the line up. Bert can’t do what needs to be done because he’d be suspended for the rest of his life. Abby has the heart to do it but not the size or the skill.

LET’S GO RED WINGS!!!

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/13/12 at 02:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/13/12 at 12:10 PM ET

Damn you to Hell with your realities when I’m trying to let myself care.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/13/12 at 02:26 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

But never forget.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/13/12 at 12:25 PM ET

Being a Woman, well, that just goes without saying.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/13/12 at 12:10 PM ET

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I totally agree with what both of you are saying. I am not forgiving when wronged.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/13/12 at 02:33 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I was suggesting something like that last night but in the harsh light of day I will chalk it up to the late hour and Drambuie haze.

The Wings will just STFU and play on, an organization trying to play by the rules, which are always circumstantial in order to serve special interests.  There is no honest broker to protect the interests of the fans or the game itself ( see Shanarat ).

NHL, Inc., is Sheriff and also runs the Saloon and Brothel.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/13/12 at 02:36 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

So disappointed by #14 (Shannahan, not Nyquist). Wouldn’t it be beautiful if Nyquist becomes the hero of the series? Maybe to the point where wings fans completely forget the turd in the punchbowl that used to wear #14.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/13/12 at 02:44 PM ET

socalwingnut's avatar

Sure, I’m as upset as anyone that Weber did not get suspended, but I’m watching every game I can. I love the sport in spite of what Bettman is trying to turn the NHL into. I’ve been playing and/or coaching this game for over 45 years and it will take a hell of a lot more than this Commissioner to make me abandon it. I’ll be damned if I’m going to let some little dude who I dislike affect whether or not I watch hockey.

As for Shanny, I am too thankful for all he gave to this organ-i-zation to cast him aside so soon. Without Shanny, I don’t think we get over the hump to win those first two Cups. He played his butt off for us and I won’t ever forget that.

We are fans of the best run organization in sports which has delivered four Stanley Cups in the recent past and we’re bitching because Holland didn’t acquire (overpay for) a dude whose only true value that I can see is winning face-offs and maybe slashing the (arguably) best player in the league. He can’t skate worth a crap, doesn’t score and certainly doesn’t play like someone who is 6’ 5” 225. He just stood there when Milan Lucic ran his goalie earlier this year, finally reacting by getting his ass kicked in the next game against the B’s.

Screw this cloud we’re under. We’re coming for Bubba tonight. We’ll show everyone what a motivated Detroit Red wings team looks like.

The Playoffs start now.

Posted by socalwingnut on 04/13/12 at 03:23 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by socalwingnut on 04/13/12 at 01:23 PM ET

Sure, be all grown up and take the high road. See if I care.

tongue wink

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/13/12 at 03:38 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

I wanna watch every game just to see faces getting slammed into the glass. WWE is not on enough, I want to see the NHL adopt more WWE rules. Barbed wire goals, glass/tacks on the ice, and maybe some Mean Jean, he’s better than the crews NBC has put together. “I Am A Real American” jamming at the Joe. etc.etc.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/13/12 at 03:41 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

If you haven’t moved on yet and are still feeling sorry for yourself, read this.

Posted by socalwingnut on 04/13/12 at 01:23 PM ET

Especially on the mark are remarks that dismiss the coveting of the player who has scored one goal in 7 weeks since joining Nashville, and was not even looking at the net when he scored, it was so accidental.  The Predators value of him is so guarded that they only put him on the ice for 11:00 minutes. He won 2 big faceoffs late but was 12/20 for the game on home ice where he has an advantage, not an exceptional rate on home ice.

We Red Wings fans would consider this a colossal waste of a pick up.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/13/12 at 03:44 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/13/12 at 01:44 PM ET

Well put.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/13/12 at 04:00 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

We Red Wings fans would consider this a colossal waste of a pick up.

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/13/12 at 01:44 PM ET

Well…some of us…  smile

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/13/12 at 04:18 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

one of today’s officials is on long term ‘friend’ Brad Watson. Expect ‘intent to blow’ and stuff.

Posted by detroitredwings on 04/13/12 at 04:24 PM ET