Abel to Yzerman

GDT - Game #71:  Red Wings at Ducks (10:00)

Another dismal 5-2 road loss to the, second most offensively challenged team in the league, LAK last night. Right now, the Red Wings, and most especially their (not-so) special teams are a walking clusterfuch of a hockey team.  In the immortal words of Gunny Highway, they are paid to improvise, overcome, adapt, and they are failing spectacularly at it.  Said Babcock, of last night’s loss:  “In the end, you can talk about the power play and penalty kill, but we didn’t play hard enough. You’re not going to win with the approach we had tonight. The other team can’t win all the battles and all the races.”

NSH are coming strong, and the Wings don’t have much time to find their game.  In yesterdays GDT, I had hoped for a win, by any means - obviously I set the bar too high; I’d be happy with a competitive game.

Central Division Standings:

GP W L OTL PTS ROW
1 STL 71 45 18 8 98 41
2 DET 70 44 23 3 91 37
3 NSH 69 41 21 7 89 37
4 CHI 71   38 25 8 84 33
5 CBJ 69 22 40 7 51 19

Team Records:

DET:  70 GP,  44-23-3, 91 pts, (4 in Conf, 2 in Central), 219 GF, 167 GA, Last 10 3-6-1, LOST 2

ANA:  70 GP,  29-30-11, 69 pts, (12 in Conf, 5 in Pacific), 173 GF, 196 GA, Last 10 4-5-1, OT 1

The Ducks are 9 points out of 8th, their goose is cooked.

Home/Away Record:

DET AWAY:  16-19-1 (18th)
ANA HOME:  18-14-2 (24th)

Stats (rank):

DET:  .650 point% (5), 3.03 G/G (4), 2.36 GA/G (4), 1.57 5-5 F/A (1), 15.9 PP% (22), 81.3 PK% (19), 32.3 S/G (5), 26.8 SA/G (3),  51.3 FO% (7).

ANA:  .493 point% (23), 2.43 G/G (24), 2.71 GA/G (18), 0.94 5-5 F/A (19), 16.5 PP% (18), 81.7 PK% (17), 28.0 S/G (23), 28.9 SA/G (9), 47.3 FO% (28).

Goal Differential/Game:

Henrik Zetterberg (C/LW) 13 pts in last 8 GP
Valtteri Filppula (LW/C) 12 pts in last 8 GP
Dan Cleary (RW/LW) 2 pts in last 2 GP
Johan Franzen (LW/RW) 6 pts in last 7 GP
Darren Helm (C) 7 pts in last 9 GP

DET: Not Hot:
Ian White (D) 0 pts in last 5 GP - - wonder if Ian, for that matter the rest of the team, are missing TPH much.  A horrific preview?
Tomas Holmstrom (RW/LW) 0 pts in last 6 GP
Joey MacDonald (G) 1-1-0, 3.03, .864 in last 2 GPI

ANA Hot:
Bobby Ryan (LW/C) 6 pts in last 6 GP
Jonas Hiller (G) 0-1-1, 1.97, .927 in last 2 GPI

ANA: Not Hot:
Lubomir Visnovsky (D) 0 pts in last 15 GP
Toni Lydman (D) 0 pts in last 4 GP
Saku Koivu (C) 0 pts in last 10 GP
Jason Blake (LW) 0 pts in last 3 GP
Niklas Hagman (LW/RW) 0 pts in last 3 GP

Injury Report:

DET:
Todd Bertuzzi (RW/LW) Groin (Day to day)
Nicklas Lidstrom (D) Ankle injury (Day to day)
Pavel Datsyuk (C/LW) Arthroscopic knee surgery (Sidelined indefinitely)
Jonathan Ericsson (D) Broken left wrist (Sidelined indefinitely)
Patrick Eaves (RW) Jaw injury (Injured reserve)
Jimmy Howard (G) Groin (Day to day)
Jakub Kindl (D) Upper body injury (Day to day)

ANA:
Dan Ellis (G) Groin (Injured reserve)
Corey Perry (RW) Right shoulder injury (Day to day)  Wing Killer
Nick Bonino (C) Leg injury (Day to day)
Luca Sbisa (D) Upper body injury (Day to day)

Jeff Sagarin NHL Ratings, USAToday

TUESDAY March 13

HOME ADVANTAGE=  0.55 RATING   W   L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 16

2 Detroit Red Wings     =  4.70   44 26   4.02(  9)  15   7 |  27 16
25 Anaheim Ducks       =  3.64   29 41   4.03(  7)  6 17 |  16 30
———————————————————————————————————-
Bert may play tonight.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Lowering expecations may help you out Oakie…. but that ain’t gonna put 2 points on the board.
The record is skipping & we’ve heard the same canned crap all year about lack of effort, being out hustled, out worked. Detroit Red Wings… trying to out do the Boston Red Socks implosion from last season?

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/14/12 at 11:28 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Amen, Okie, to everything you said.

I can’t stay up and watch tonight because I have an early morning tomorrow.  I’m thinking maybe that’s a good thing, if things go the way they went last night.

Still, as my Dad always reminded me, “It aint over ‘til it’s over, ” so I’m gonna keep the faith for now.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/14/12 at 11:58 AM ET

MSREDWINGER: I wish I had your faith!

Posted by Nat from Mtl on 03/14/12 at 12:22 PM ET

dougie's avatar

The playoffs will start soon. The Red Wings will find another gear. I truly believe that. All games are meaningless, until they aren’t.

Playoffs, bitches. I don’t care who we play.

Posted by dougie on 03/14/12 at 12:29 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Playoffs, bitches. I don’t care who we play.

Posted by dougie on 03/14/12 at 11:29 AM ET

Looks like Trashville.  Looks like Trashville will have home ice,  Looks like you’re not the only one who doesn’t care.  Twenty guys in red and white don’t seem to give a rat’s ass either.  Complacency.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/14/12 at 12:34 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

I think we can all agree that the effort last night was a big steaming pile of horseshit on ice.  But a quick look at the scoresheet tells you that the difference in just about every recent loss has been the ongoing implosion of the Wings’ special teams.  Over the past month the power play is actually a minus—they’ve giving up more goals than they score.  That isn’t merely bad, that’s mind-bendingly bad.

Blame injuries if you want, but let’s keep in mind that the special teams have sucked horrifically even with Datsyuk and Lidstrom in the lineup.  While it hasn’t gotten any better in their absence, it’s not as though this is a recent development.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/14/12 at 12:49 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Even with all the talent in the world…this (for the third year in a row) points squarely back to the coaching staff.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/14/12 at 12:56 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Blame injuries if you want

. . .

Excuses are tools of the incompetent.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/14/12 at 01:06 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I’ve been going to Red Wings games at the Forum and Staples for over 20 years. There are always lots of red jerseys in the crowd and those red jerseys always seem to get a L.G.R.W. chant going that takes quite a bit of effort by Kings fans to drown out. Not last night. From the opening face-off, it was apparent the boys were mailing it in.

I was sitting 13 rows behind Jimmah, to his right for periods 1&3. Throughout the opening ten minutes, I had to continually count the number of Kings on the ice because it always looked like the Wings were short handed. They were even lazy on the line changes; there were at least three instances where I would have called them for too many men.

I wasn’t the only Eeyore last night. Most Wings fans I spoke to on the way in to the game were worried.

When the injury bug hits, our remaining stars do not step up their game.

There are 12 games left in the regular season. At the rate they’re going, the first round opponent is not going to be Bubba, it’s going to be Dallas or Vancouver. Hell, they might not even make the playoffs. This team is playing like they did in the Fall when they lost 6 in a row.

You got to give the Wings some credit though, it’s hard to make the Kings look like the 1985 Oilers, but somehow they managed.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/14/12 at 01:21 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I know this will be hard to hear, especially the way the Wings are playing now, but all of us, me included will forgive and forget when the playoffs start as long as the Wings win.  They are frustratingly inconsistent.  Lately the Wings look like a mid-level team such as Los Angeles or Anaheim.  Remember, this is the same team that can play like world champions at times.  Hell, our nemesis San Jose may not make the playoffs.  Other teams like Chicago have struggled at times also.  I’m not convinced the BBBB’s are going to role over anybody in the playoffs.  The Wings, if healthy, have as good a chance as any other team in the Western Conference.  I know it appears bleak while standing in sh*t knee deep but I can’t help it, I’m a Wingaholic and I’ll be with this team until the end… whenever that may be.  That being said… if those motherfuchers don’t get up off their collective a**es and get to work… tee-time will be here shortly.

Posted by calquake on 03/14/12 at 01:47 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

While yes, the ‘07-‘08 team was very dominate for three quarters of that season…they also went through a shitty slump the end of Feb/beginning of March IIRC.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/14/12 at 01:57 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I’m a Wingaholic and I’ll be with this team until the end
Posted by calquake on 03/14/12 at 12:47 PM ET

Amen, brother.

You back in SoCal?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/14/12 at 02:03 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I’m trying not to be all doom and gloom after last night…it’s hard.  My laptop gave out in the middle of the third period so I wasn’t able to finish the LB last night.

Just frustrated.  As others have said, special teams have been an issue all year, this isn’t something new.  To be successful in the playoffs, other teams have to fear your special teams and I don’t see ours being any kind of a threat.  Sure, we can dominate at five on five but you need that extra edge….

Of course the playoffs are a different animal, I realize that.  I’m just stressing about a month early.  Ugh…

I repeat my urging of yesterday, win, just win.  I don’t care how.

Let’s go Red Wings!!!

Thank you for the post, Oakie!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 03/14/12 at 02:06 PM ET

calquake's avatar

You back in SoCal?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 03/14/12 at 01:03 PM ET

Nope… still here in the land of rain… perfect for how all us fans are feeling.

Posted by calquake on 03/14/12 at 02:22 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 03/14/12 at 11:56 AM ET

This.  The assistants have both even changed.

Posted by Primis on 03/14/12 at 02:28 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 03/14/12 at 11:56 AM ET

This.  The assistants have both even changed.
Posted by Primis on 03/14/12 at 01:28 PM ET

We have abused Bitchcock over the years the same way we used to abuse Chelios before he became a Wing. But I can only imagine how much more consistently the Wings would be playing under Bitchcock.

How many times have we heard Babcock throw his players under the bus this season complaining about their lack of effort. Has Babs even once accepted any responsibility after any of the turd-like games the team has played this season? Not that I can recall. Coaches get tuned out and it’s obvious the players have tuned out Babs.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/14/12 at 02:38 PM ET

calquake's avatar

This.  The assistants have both even changed.

Posted by Primis on 03/14/12 at 01:28 PM ET

Are you suggesting that Babcock be fired?  And replaced with who?  Or is it whom?  You don’t win the Cup regularly no matter what team you’re talking aboot.  I’ll take Babs over what is available.  These players are well paid to perform… and they are not.  Coaching can’t make up for lack of effort, that rests solely on the shoulders of the players.  However, that doesn’t mean Uncle Mike is immune from criticism.  Hardly… but calling for his scalp isn’t going to fix the Wings either.

Posted by calquake on 03/14/12 at 02:42 PM ET

G’morning, Jeff.  Nice waking up to the GDT on the screen first thing in the morning.  Thanks.Always.Thank you.

This is the last West Coast swing of the year.  After the chum on Saturday night, that’s it.  We’re only going as far west as STL for the rest of the year.  It has to benefit us.  It must.  Seven of the last eleven games of the season are at home.

Awesome.  I wish there was a Gunny Highway to kick this team in the ass.

Game Notes.
Referees:
Dave Jackson (8)          <======
Francois St. Laurent (38)  <======

Linesmen:
Darren Gibbs (66)
Jay Sharrers (57)

Dave mutherfuching Jackson.  gREAT sTART aLREADY.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 03/14/12 at 02:56 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Awesome.  I wish there was a Gunny Highway to kick this team in the ass.

There is. His name is Babcock. Unfortunately, his troops have tuned him out.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/14/12 at 02:59 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

When the injury bug hits, our remaining stars do not step up their game.

How on earth can you not say Z has stepped up his game?  Filppula, too.

Henrik Zetterberg (C/LW) 13 pts in last 8 GP.  That’s 1.625 ppg, compared to .74 ppg (61 gp, 45 points) before the last 8 games.
Valtteri Filppula (LW/C) 12 pts in last 8 GP.  That’s 1.5 ppg compared to .75 ppg prior to this run (61 gp, 46 pts).

Franzen, although he has had an uptick in scoring as well, clearly fails the eye test.  The effort seems not to be there, though to some degree he’s trying to do too much.

Z has been visibly better even before you look at the numbers.  The general malaise that has affected this team doesn’t really apply to his line, and Darren Helm, in my opinion.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/14/12 at 03:04 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Posted by calquake on 03/14/12 at 12:47 PM ET

Word. I actually stop following this site at times like these because I want to enjoy the games, win or lose, and not have to put up with any whinging. Are we terrible right now? Yep, our PP is being outscored by the opposing PK and even Scott Gomez could probably net a few if he skated shorthanded against us.

Does that mean I can’t enjoy watching a game? Of course not, because like the LA game at the Joe, when you win with a depleted lineup showing a lot of heart it feels that much better.

But to hold the team we’re icing now to the same expectations we held a team with 23 straight wins at home is fuching criminally insane. The team isn’t playing well, be a good fan and cheer for them or kindly shut the fuch up. Better yet, I’ll just do what I do and not put up with it until you turn those frowns upside down. But since that seems to be overwhelmingly impossible unless Jimmy, Z and Mule turn them upside down for you I’ll wait until we get a win.

I guess my point is that as a fan you don’t have to depend so heavily on the play of the team to be happy and enjoy it.

And, to echo the words of others, the playoffs haven’t yet begun. Those are different times for the team in Red and White. Game on tonight bitches, and like all of you, I’m looking for a better effort but not expecting team with a single scoring line to dominate the Duh-Ucks. Peace be with you all, lest I find you mired in your own filth when I open up the cargo bins of the Hasek in 4 weeks time.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 03/14/12 at 03:24 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Who look to be without Perry. I’m just hoping they make my trip over there (all of 30 minutes) worth it.

As for my criticism of the coaching staff, yeah, I’m pissed because the PK has been crap for 3 years. Is it the players? The system? I’m no pharmacist so I have no clue. What DOES kill me is Uncle Mike’s unwillingness to use his deathstare against some of his players. He’ll barely play kids and lean on players who never seem to get it done. YES Franzen has been more consistent even though if he’s not putting up almost 40 goals and 20-some assists a year we’re bitching….but when he went cold last month, Scotty would’ve benched his ass. Babbles left him on the same line for a week, then broke up the best line (at the time) to get him going. Bollocks…he should’ve rode pine.

Z and Fil (and Happy I suppose) have been amazing, consistant, and hell, Z got obviously frustrated last night on a weak call/dive and shoved Brown back down. About time someone shows SOMETHING other then Jimmy. Z’s been warming up, and it’s obvious he’s not 100% and I wouldn’t doubt if he sits out a few games after Pav is back in a week or so but…they have what, 12 games left? Another 3 or 4 are going to be shit…you already know it’s coming. I think this hard stretch, while it sucks and it knocks them out of 1st probably good, is better for them then coasting into the playoffs in the top seed.

We all know what has happened in the past when they have done that.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/14/12 at 03:57 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 03/14/12 at 02:24 PM ET

So you’ve seen my new apartment then. LOL  I get as pissed as anybody else at times but it’s not a constant drumbeat with me.  I like watching the Wings for the enjoyment of seeing a hockey game as much as anything else.  I think it’s the whole “forest for the fuching trees” thing with some fans.  We all are passionate but we’re not all suicidal because the Wings don’t win all the time.  Remember, the real season starts in aboot 3-4 weeks.  Then I’ll piss my pants, at home, aboard the Hasek.

Posted by calquake on 03/14/12 at 04:08 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Has Babs even once accepted any responsibility after any of the turd-like games the team has played this season? . . .
Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 03/14/12 at 01:38 PM ET

I seem to recall several occasions where he has pointed the finger at himself and his staff.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/14/12 at 04:28 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Khan tweets:

Bert is playing, JMac in net.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/14/12 at 04:29 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I never saw a serial killer with my own eyes before…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/14/12 at 04:39 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Posted by calquake on 03/14/12 at 03:08 PM ET

Oh I meant to be in support of your previous post. Didn’t mean to point fingers at you, rather to point at nearly everyone excluding you. But, like I say, I usually just leave when the going gets thick, steamy and smelly with chunks of corn in it.

But you always keep the faith and for that sir, I admire you. The tough parts of the season are usually nothing when you compare them to your times watching this team through the 70s and 80s.

So cheer up kids, you all need to be more like Calquake (but hopefully better looking and way less gropey) so we can avoid the shitfilled pantaloons come playoffs.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 03/14/12 at 05:37 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

So you’ve seen my new apartment then. LOL I get as pissed as anybody else at times but it’s not a constant drumbeat with me.  I like watching the Wings for the enjoyment of seeing a hockey game as much as anything else.  I think it’s the whole “forest for the fuching trees” thing with some fans.  We all are passionate but we’re not all suicidal because the Wings don’t win all the time.  Remember, the real season starts in aboot 3-4 weeks.  Then I’ll piss my pants, at home, aboard the Hasek.

Posted by calquake on 03/14/12 at 03:08 PM ET

Tell em Quake. I cannot and will not go into the throws of depression because the Wings are not the same team.
Injury, injury, injury. When the injured players get back, we see the real Wings. Until then just Grin.

Thanks OAkie.

Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/14/12 at 07:39 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Sushi in a hockey arena? Fauxing O.C..

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/14/12 at 09:29 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Sushi in a hockey arena? Fauxing O.C..

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 03/14/12 at 08:29 PM ET

You are the WIN charm for the Wings tonite.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/14/12 at 09:32 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by bob lobIaw on 03/14/12 at 08:33 PM ET

“bububububu you’re such a richard”.

Posted by calquake on 03/14/12 at 10:25 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

gOoD oNe Bob loblaw:

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 03/14/12 at 10:30 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Not sure which one is bob loblaw…but I’m pretty sure the other one is Dater

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/14/12 at 10:35 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

If anyone here has ever taken any of the opinions I let fly even a little bit too seriously, I gotta step in at this point and caution you against that.  We’re fans.  We’re passionate and insane.  We have opinions.  We share them.  Occasionally we’re drunk in addition to merely being insane. The common denominator is for a lot of us like an oath written in blood.  There’s no wrong way or right way.  Hell I remember the 70s and 80s myself.  Well the 80s maybe not so much.  In fact the 80s are pretty much a blur in my memory bank.  But I do remember the Detroit hockey team pretty much sucked balls back then, although the Tigers had a pretty damn good run of it, so it wasn’t all doom and gloom.

The occasional sour remarks and tirades, even though they probably come across as form cyber-Tourette’s syndrome, are actually way more sober and detached than they seem.  Well, maybe not sober exactly, but detached, and at least somewhat coherent.  Okay, coherent may be a bit of a reach.  Calling a turd a turd hardly qualifies as me as gifted mind, but it doesn’t make me any less passionate a fan, and seriously, I wouldn’t let it ruin my evening if I were you.

Time to win a hockey game.  LGRW.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/14/12 at 10:37 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by bob lobIaw on 03/14/12 at 08:33 PM ET

Look everyone, bob’s mom has the internet hooked up in her basement.

Trolling: Trailing a baited line along behind a weak mind.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/14/12 at 10:38 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/14/12 at 09:37 PM ET

I understood everything you said… and that scares the sh*t out of me. cheese

Posted by calquake on 03/14/12 at 10:50 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

I understood everything you said… and that scares the sh*t out of me.

Posted by calquake on 03/14/12 at 09:50 PM ET

Which in turn made me pee down my leg.  It’s a viscious cycle.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/14/12 at 10:57 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Which in turn made me pee down my leg.  It’s a viscious cycle.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/14/12 at 09:57 PM ET

Hutada kumada or Bada Bing or whatever.  It’s the circle (jerk) of life.

Posted by calquake on 03/14/12 at 10:59 PM ET