Abel to Yzerman

GDT - WCSF Game 4: Red Wings (2-1) host Hawks (1-2) 8:00

So I hear there is a big game at The Joe tonight.  The Wings can put a stranglehold on this series, and you just know that the 'Hawks will be under serious pressure for this game.

LGRW

REGULAR SEASON TEAM STATISTICS:

DET:  0.583 point% (14), 2.54 G/G (20), 2.29 GA/G (5), 1.10 5-5 F/A (7), 18.4 PP% (15), 81.7 PK% (12), 30.1 S/G (10), 27.5 SA/G (7), 50.8 FO% (10)

CHI:  0.802 point% (1), 3.10 G/G (2), 2.02 GA/G (1), 1.52 5-5 F/A (1), 16.7 PP% (19), 87.2 PK% (3) 31.1 S/G (5), 26.2 SA/G (4), 50.8 FO% (11)

Goal Differential/Game:

DET = +0.25

CHI =  +1.08

PLAYOFF TEAM STATISTICS:

DET:  0.600 point% (5), 2.60 G/G (8), 2.70 GA/G (10), 1.19 5-5 F/A (5), 16.2 PP% (9), 76.5 PK% (11), 29.9 S/G (13), 32.7 SA/G (9), 52.6 FO% (4)

CHI:  0.625 point% (4), 2.88 G/G (5), 1.88 GA/G (2), 1.13 5-5 F/A (7), 13.6 PP% (12), 100.0 PK% (1), 33.9 S/G (4), 27.5 SA/G (2), 48.3 FO% (11)

PLAYOFF PLAYER STATS:

DeKeyser, Danny  Broken thumb  remainder of the playoffs
Helm, Darren  Back injury  injured reserve

CHI:

No injuries.

-----------------------------------------------------

Khan reports that Uncle Mike is shaking up the PP units:

Babcock mixed up the power-play units in practice, splitting Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, who had been playing with Johan Franzen. Justin Abdelkader joined Datsyuk and Franzen on the one unit while Zetterberg joined Valtteri Filppula and Daniel Cleary on the other unit, bumping Gustav Nyquist off the power play.

So, they used their top two even-strength lines for the power play.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

This GDT is truly a pleasant surprise. First off. Thank you, Jeff. Hoping your family and entire State gets through this and the rest of the summer safely.

Now to the business that is Red Wings. Tonite is going to be a goon squad festival. We need to bring our best game and WIN. Upstart, upset.

Burn.This. Conference. Down.

Thanks OKie.

Forward, Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/23/13 at 09:23 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Pretty much what Kate said.
Let’s just play.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/23/13 at 09:29 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

There’s a game tonight?

wink

Okie, good to see you this morning.  As Kate said, hoping your state has seen all the horror it’s going to see for a very long time.

Oh, yeah.  There is a game tonight.  A pivotal game.  Win tonight and you got this, Wings.  So…

Just win tonight.

I’ll be watching - on MUTE (except when the Wings score).

Burn.This.Conference.Down.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/23/13 at 09:36 AM ET

peiz11's avatar

Every game day, I get into work start to get things done and then I see this amazing post and my production just drops. Now I’m in Wings game day mode, that’s not good. What is good is that this team is 14 hours away from possibly having the huge upper hand in this series. One game, one period, one shift at a time…just win.

(Oh, and let’s hope for more pissy Toews/Shaw/Bickell/etc. tonight)

Posted by peiz11 from Minneapolis on 05/23/13 at 09:44 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Tonite is going to be a goon squad festival.

I dont’ think the goonery will start unless and until the Wings are ahead, or the Hawks take penalties.  I think the Hawks will try to focus hard on getting an early goal.  The longer it takes, the more likelihood that they will morph into goons.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/23/13 at 09:46 AM ET

VooX's avatar

Thanks, Okie, and I am very happy you and your clan are okay.

To help those who were not so fortunate, donations can be sent to the Red Cross if you are able to afford it.  I won’t get into the politics of the efficiency of the Red Cross with the dollars it raises, just pass along a way to help out those in need.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 05/23/13 at 09:52 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Good to see your byline Okie.

So the PP lines are all that’s changed?  I hope?  Because yeah, changing the ES units would be really, really dumb right now.  That second PP unit is going to suck (sorry, Cleary has no business on a PP anymore ever, and FIl is, well… Fil).  Hope I’m wrong but…. pretty good body of work to judge Cleary and Fil by and basically none of it is good.  Putting them together on a PP unit doesn’t seem like a sensible way to improve the PP.

Posted by Primis on 05/23/13 at 10:21 AM ET

peiz11's avatar

I feel like at this point Babcock can make these lineup decisions without us questioning how dumb he is. He can do whatever he wants at this point since he has proven he knows more than us.

Having said that…WHY IS BRUNNER STILL AT THE POINT ON THE PP?! Hasn’t that experiment ended? How dumb is that?!  grin

Posted by peiz11 from Minneapolis on 05/23/13 at 10:25 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Thanks Jeff for all you do and stay safe.  No more LB’s for me unless we go to a Game 7.  I’m going to the cabin to write my manifesto wink  or drink until I pass out… too close to call really.
Score 3 or more goals… Wings win.  Allow 2 or less goals… Wings probably win.  I like that Chicago is mainly concentrating on it’s offense because it’s been their defense that has been suspect the last two games.  Play even keel, let the Hawks lose their minds and victory is within our grasp.

Posted by calquake on 05/23/13 at 10:39 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

maybe being on the PP is exactly what Cleary and Filpulla need.  individually they can’t seem to very often get past an opposing player with the puck.  but maybe if they share that responsibility and only each half to act like half a hockey player, it’ll work out.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/23/13 at 10:54 AM ET

If they’re going with the regular lines on the PP then I’d love (LOVE) to see Andersson/Nyquist/Brunner getting some time.

Posted by Garth on 05/23/13 at 11:17 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Morning bitches!  Will be missing probably most of the LB tonight as I’m traveling to NM today to watch my middle son graduate high school tomorrow…..does that mean I’m old?

LGRW!

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/23/13 at 11:26 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Posted by Garth on 05/23/13 at 11:17 AM ET

Agreed 110% Andy is big enough to be the net front presence/puc retrieval guy. The other 2 know what to do with the puck in the o-zone.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/23/13 at 11:35 AM ET

calquake's avatar

No, it just means you started young. grin

Posted by calquake on 05/23/13 at 11:54 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

thanks, okie.

intense, determined, consistent ...

60 minutes, minimum; then, if needed, as needed.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/23/13 at 11:58 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

So, they used their top two even-strength lines for the power play.

That’s exactly what I copied to post here too.

Good idea, at least for a change up.  Get a little more physical in front of the net and along the boards, throw stuff at the net and something will stick.  Worth a try.  Capitalizing on the PP could really go a long way to nailing down the series.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/23/13 at 12:09 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

And best of luck to you and your comrades in OK.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/23/13 at 12:10 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I have been all “zip-a-dee-doo-dah” aboot the playoffs so far this season. Low expectations, blah, blah,blah. Playing with house money. It’s all good, bra.

This morning, I woke up all scared to death aboot getting “curb stomped” 3 games straight.

Fuch the playoffs.

I need a drink.

Posted by dougie on 05/23/13 at 12:11 PM ET

jeweler's avatar

Fuch the playoffs.

I need a drink.

Posted by dougie on 05/23/13 at 12:11 PM ET

See, this guy gets it grin

Posted by jeweler from Grand Rapids, Michigan on 05/23/13 at 12:37 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Even if was to happen, can you really be disappointed how this season ended up?
I am not elevating my expectations for this team now, but I’m happy as all hell to see what we’ve got to work with moving forward from this year.
That all said, let’s kick the Cawks in the balls tonight.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/23/13 at 12:39 PM ET

G’morning, Jeff.  Hope you and yours are safe this morning in OK.  How’s Junior doing with SAR?

...you just know that the ‘Hawks will be under serious pressure for this game.

Brother, that’s the cold, hard truth.  Ain’t no truer words of warning for tonight’s game.

I don’t see any game notes yet as to who will be officiating tonight, but I do know we will not see Watson and Kowal after that Charlie Foxtrot last time around.

LGRW.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/23/13 at 12:45 PM ET

Oh, and this:

DET - NOT HOT:

Carlo Colaiacovo 0 pts in last 5 GP
Kyle Quincey 0 pts in last 6 GP

I’m cool with that so long as they keep piling on the hurt on the Cawks forwards trying to crash Dong’s net.  Bob Rouse and Aaron Ward had eggs for stats in ‘97, but them boys played their asses off.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/23/13 at 12:47 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Even if was to happen, can you really be disappointed how this season ended up?

Absolutely not. It’s been an incredible last month or so. But now I am starting to “believe” again, saying thing like “The freaking HURRICANES won a Stanley Cup, why can’t we?”
Or, “Look at the Kings last year, we could totally do that.” I actually told people that yesterday.

This morning, I woke up from a very bad dream, where I couldn’t stop vomiting(really), worrying aboot the curb stomp. I’m sticking by my original statement.

Fuch the playoffs.

I still need a drink

Posted by dougie on 05/23/13 at 12:52 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

There’ll be a pint or 2 had with lunch today Dougie… I’m with ya brother.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/23/13 at 12:54 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

There’ll be a pint or 2 had with lunch today Dougie… I’m with ya brother.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from

You know that last game had to do wonders for the Kids’ confidence.  That Nyquil goal was a thing of beauty.

And just THINK how the Cawks must be feeling right now after all the media fellating the last month…oh joy.

Was just looking at my itinerary..I’ll be at KDEN for the start of this one.  Yeah I’ll be sporting my Wings hat at whatever bar I can find in the airport.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/23/13 at 01:20 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Fuch the playoffs.

I need a drink.

Posted by dougie on 05/23/13 at 12:11 PM ET

Thanks for saying out loud what was brewing in a dark place in my head, my Inner Mandingo.

the BlackHawks as very human and beatable, but still very good, especially if we give them a break or a freebie.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/23/13 at 01:42 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Thanks Okie!!

Productivity has hit the usual game day level of .....zero.  Locking up at 1:00 PM.  Time to start the game prep…....who’s up for a couple of martini’s and a Cobb salad?

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 05/23/13 at 03:13 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I think this series’ seeds aren’t a very good estimation of each team’s actual play come playoff team.  Detroit is obviously better than a #7 seed, but their early season troubles held them back in the standings, and Chicago’s early season tear boosted their end result.

they’re beatable.  and if it’s gonna be anyone, oh sweet baby jesus lashoff let it be us.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/23/13 at 03:32 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

who’s up for a couple of martini’s and a Cobb salad?

Cheese steak sammich n 2 pints of good old American beer…
The midwest versus the left coast right there. Cheers Rummie.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/23/13 at 03:32 PM ET

Trish's avatar

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear

Rummie, I think we are related.  cool smile

LGRW

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 05/23/13 at 03:34 PM ET

There it is:

Referees:
Wes McCauley-4
Marc Joannette-25

Linesmen:
Steve Barton-59
Pierre Racicot-65

Buckle up, ladies and germs.  It’s gonna get all bumpy and shit.

LGRW.

Burn.This.Conference.Down.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/23/13 at 06:21 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

LGRW!

Jeff - so happy to read you today.  Sorry, I’m a bit late.  First day of vacation and my Mom arrived today.  I am excited/nervous for this game.  Not going to say anything else.  Just play a full sixty minutes and let’s see what happens.

Burn. This. Conference. DOWN!

I BELIEVE!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/23/13 at 06:46 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

ok turn on NBCsports at 7:17 and it has the Boston/NYR game 4 on in 1st period WTH??? Red Wings suppose to start in a little over half an hour???

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/23/13 at 07:18 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

SO HELP ME ,....... THEY BETTER BE SHOWING THE WINGS GAME AT 8:00

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/23/13 at 07:23 PM ET