Abel to Yzerman

GDT - Game 5:  Red Wings (2-2) at Blackhawks (5-0)  7:00

Coach says the "D" is getting better:  “Drastic, night and day.  I thought the last game (5-3 win over Minnesota Friday) was the best. I thought Huskins was better, I thought Lash was good, I thought Smitty (Brendan Smith) was strong. (Kyle) Quincey might have had his best game. Kronner (Niklas Kronwall), you don't even worry about him."  Playing today at CHI, you can only hope he is right.

With their 3-2 win last night at CBJ, the 'Hawks matched their franchise-best start to a season with 5 consecutive wins.  CHI are averaging 4.00 G/G (3) - the Wing's improving "D" is sure to be tested.  Maybe the 'Hawks will have tired legs?

A win today moves DET above .500 for the first time this year.  LGRW

SEASON RECORD:

DET:  4 GP,  2-2-0,  4 pts, (12 in Conf, 4 in Central), 10 GF, 14 GA, Last 10 2-2-0, WON 1

CHI:  5 GP,  5-0-0,  10 pts, (1 in Conf, 1 in Central),  20GF, 12 GA, Last 10 5-0-0,  WON 5

DET Road:  1-1

CHI Home:  1-0

TEAM STATISTICS:

DET:  0.500 point% (12), 2.25 G/G (22), 3.50 GA/G (26),  0.83 5-5 F/A (18), 10.00 PP% (26), 68.2 PK% (27), 30.8 S/G (12), 31.8 SA/G (22), 52.6 FO% (6).

CHI:  1.00 point% (1), 4.00 G/G (3), 2.40 GA/G (11), 1.40 5-5 F/A (10), 25.0 PP% (10), 94.1 PK% (3), 29.0 S/G (21), 26.6 SA/G (4), 51.5 FO% (9).

Goal Differential/Game:

CHI Goalies:
Player GPI W L OT GAA PCT

Corey Crawford 4,  4-0-0,  1.99,  0.923
Ray Emery 1,  1-0-0,  4.00,  0.862

THE HOCKEY NEWS - TOTT:

DET - HOT:

Pavel Datsyuk, Det (C/LW)
6 pts in last 3 GP
Henrik Zetterberg, Det (C/LW)
3 pts in last 2 GP
Valtteri Filppula, Det (LW/C)
3 pts in last 2 GP

Niklas Kronwall, Det (D)
4 pts in last 3 GP

DET - NOT HOT:

Dan Cleary, Det (LW/RW)
0 pts in last 4 GP
Defensemen
No Players
Kyle Quincey, Det (D)
0 pts in last 4 GP

CHI - HOT:

Patrick Kane, Chi (RW/C)
4 pts in last 2 GP
Patrick Sharp, Chi (LW/RW)
6 pts in last 4 GP
Marian Hossa, Chi (RW)
7 pts in last 5 GP

Nick Leddy, Chi (D)
4 pts in last 5 GP
Duncan Keith, Chi (D)
2 pts in last 3 GP
Corey Crawford, Chi (G)
3-0-0, 1.98, .928 in last 3 GPI

CHI - NOT HOT:

No cold players

Injury Report:

DET:

Carlo Colaiacovo (D):
  Shoulder injury, Injured reserve (IR)
Jonathan Ericsson (D):
  Shoulder injury, Day to day
Jonas Gustavsson (G):
  Groin, Day to day
Joey MacDonald (G):
  Bulging disc in lower back, Injured reserve (IR)
Jan Mursak (RW/LW):
  Collarbone, Injured reserve (IR)
Mikael Samuelsson (RW):
  Groin, Injured reserve (IR)
Ian White (D):
  Leg injury, Injured reserve (IR)

CHI:

Daniel Carcillo (LW/RW): Right knee injury
Steve Montador (D): Concussion
Rostislav Olesz (LW/RW): Knee surgery

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Wings (and fans) hope to have E-52 back in today - - who'd have thought.  No morning skate.  Saturday's practice lines:

Johan Franzen-Henrik Zetterberg-Damien Brunner

Patrick Eaves (for Filppula)-Pavel Datsyuk-Todd Bertuzzi

Daniel Cleary-Darren Helm-Justin Abdelkader

Drew Miller-Cory Emmerton-Jordin Tootoo

Niklas Kronwall-Brian Lashoff

Kyle Quincey-Brendan Smith

Kent Huskins-Jakub Kindl

Jonathan Ericsson

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Top ‘o the morning bitches. Time to see if the Minny game was a fluke….
Thanks Okie.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/27/13 at 09:35 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, Okie!

Time to play spoiler for those Hated Hawks.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/27/13 at 09:41 AM ET

...wassup with flip ??....hurt more than was hinted at ??.....like the insertion of eaves, though…..let’s find out if , like many of us have thought, he might be an acceptable top-sixer…..still would prefer flip, though…

Posted by dingus from the salty great lake on 01/27/13 at 09:45 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Nah, I was working the ZZ Top look pretty hard back then. I did have a fellow that looked like that “student-athlete” in the photo hit me in the mouth, because he didn’t like my looks.

Posted by dougie on 01/26/13 at 08:01 PM ET

hahahahaha.  Freakin Red Necks, man!  or Vice Principals.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/27/13 at 09:53 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

The public story with Eaves and Fil were just to get them off the ice because they’d had injuries, not that they had tweaked it again.  Let’s hope, we’ve had too much turmoil and absences already.

Those top 4 forwards and D with Chicago are pretty good, we’ll have to play on them the whole 60 minutes.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/27/13 at 09:57 AM ET

gowings's avatar

Ok, don’t want to be a pessimist here, but I feel that if our game VS St Louis was bad…I fear this one might be worse. Howie will have to play on his head…..On the other hand, if I am wrong (I really hope so) a win VS Chicago might just be the medicine needed to really inspire confidence in our players….but I personally won’t hold my breath ....

Posted by gowings from MTL on 01/27/13 at 10:45 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Looking only at the stats, it would appear the St. Louis game was a fluke.  We shall see.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/27/13 at 11:53 AM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

I’m confident in this team. Bert is back, he really buys time for his line-mates. Wings 4-3 in SO.

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 01/27/13 at 11:58 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Looking only at the stats

That’s the quote I always lead off with whenever I am trying to skirt around the cold,hard truth.

Posted by dougie on 01/27/13 at 11:59 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Red Wings Twitter says E-52 expected to play tonight.

I’d guess Yak will sit.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/27/13 at 12:02 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

thanks, Okie.

look’n for a solid game tonight, no excuses. period.
a few guys out, as is with any team; but ‘the core’ of the team is “healthy”.

time to spank ‘lil bro. no excuses. period.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/27/13 at 12:04 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Spector suggests today that PK Subban may be traded after weekend negotiations with Les Habs go nowhere.  According to Lyle, the Flyers and Wings are in the mix.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/27/13 at 12:04 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

” ... PK Subban may be traded ... and Wings are in the mix.”

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Looking for a “D” man on 01/27/13 at 12:04 PM ET

heard the rumors yesterday.

me likee grin

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/27/13 at 12:07 PM ET

dougie's avatar

According to Lyle, the Flyers and Wings are in the mix.

And the voice inside my head says “Odds are 10-1 he winds up a Flyer”.

Posted by dougie on 01/27/13 at 12:16 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I know of him but not too much detail, have seen him in a few games.  I was surprised to learn he is only 23.  Has much upside and can mature.  Who would the Wings have to give up in a trade for him?

Had 110 or so PIMs, a little high for a Red Wing but that’s not a bad thing.  Has considerable number of roughing penalties but only 3 fighting majors last year.

Montreal general manager Marc Bergevin has to decide whether the physically gifted Subban is a winning player who will become one of the franchise’s cornerstones or whether he is simply a flashy player unlikely to become consistent enough to depend on.

There’s evidence on both sides.

On the positive side, Subban is a solid skater who can carry the puck well out of his own end and transition from defense to offense.

He has a powerful right-handed shot and has shown the ability to come through in clutch situations.

He wants to be out on the ice when the game is on the line.

However, it’s not all positive for Subban.

He is a cheeky player who has been known to take cheap shots at his opponents and will get called for costly and unnecessary penalties. New York Rangers coach John Tortorella has accused him of making “dirty” plays (source: NHL.com).

He is a first-rate trash talker who agitates opponents. Former Flyer Mike Richards (now with the defending champion Los Angeles Kings) was annoyed by Subban when he played against him during his run in Philadelphia because he did not play the game with enough “respect” for his opponents (source: AOLnews.com).

He is not always dependable on the ice and makes mistakes, but despite his turnovers, talent scout Christopher Boucher called him the Canadiens’ best skater and best defenseman.

Subban is not a perfect player and his natural energy and enthusiasm are going to draw the attention of the media and fans.

He appears to be a player who is a distraction at times and a trade could bring the Canadiens quite a bit in return.

However, on balance, he has too much talent and potential to let go. At his age, the Canadiens have every reason to expect him to become a more mature player in the future and it seems likely he will be able to refine his game and possibly take it to All-Star level.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/27/13 at 12:26 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

And the voice inside my head says “Odds are 10-1 he winds up a Flyer”.

Posted by dougie on 01/27/13 at 12:16 PM ET

It always seems to go that way, doesn’t it?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/27/13 at 12:27 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by dougie on 01/26/13 at 08:01 PM ET

He considered you a pimple on the ass of humanity?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/27/13 at 12:31 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Looking only at the stats, I am tall, dark, and handsome.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/27/13 at 12:33 PM ET

monkey's avatar

And the voice inside my head says “Odds are 10-1 he winds up a Flyer”.

Or the Wings give up someone they shouldn’t to get him, he doesn’t pan out, then they give up even more to get that other guy back.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/27/13 at 12:34 PM ET

dougie's avatar

He considered you a pimple on the ass of humanity?

I think he just wanted to punch a hippy.

Posted by dougie on 01/27/13 at 12:39 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Thanks Okie!

Kindl can sit on the pine. I won’t be upset over that. And if they rotate, Qball can sit on the pine too!

Would I like to see PK in the Wings uni? Absolutely.

Will I think it will happen? Absolutely.. Not.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/27/13 at 12:40 PM ET

monkey's avatar

PK Subban

Among defensemen who appeared in at least 40 games last season, only 14 faced tougher competition during the regular season than Subban did. Only three of them (Nicklas Lidstrom, Shea Weber and Fedor Tyutin—surprisingly) moved the puck up the ice (Rel. Corsi) better than him. And his teammates are better when he is on the ice with them vs. when he isn’t.

Fascinating.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/27/13 at 12:47 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

PK may be ‘a diamond in the rough’.
I remember when the Habs brought him up for the playoffs 2 years ago - very impressed. Lots of energy, not afraid to get in the opponents face.
Dumb penalties? Maybe, but like RWBill said, he’s young; Babs could develop some discipline in him, guaranteed.
Agitator? Yep. Good team mate to “keep the flies off”.
6’ 0” / 206#

NHL.com highlights.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/27/13 at 12:53 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Blackhawks played on the road last night, Wings had the night off.  Isn’t that one of those games where the supposedly tired team comes out strong, the Wings start out flat, and even after their opponent starts to run out of steam the only thing Detroit can generate is low percentage perimeter shots?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/27/13 at 12:54 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Posted by monkey from All hands, abandon ship. This is not a drill. on 01/27/13 at 12:54 PM ET

Bingo.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/27/13 at 12:57 PM ET

calquake's avatar

There is/was a blog mentioning that Yandle is on the trade block.  I’ve always like his “game”.  Depending on what Detroit would have to give up to get Yandle or Subban I say “Let’s Make A Deal”.  Kenny?... get out your Monty Hall clothes and make it happen.

Posted by calquake on 01/27/13 at 12:58 PM ET

monkey's avatar

For some reason I find the idea of Ken Holland working out trade deals while totally nude to be hilarious.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/27/13 at 01:01 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Monkey, for the last few seasons; Wings starting out flat seems to be par for the course.  Please raise your hand if anyone recalls 60 minutes of play.

Crickets

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/27/13 at 01:07 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Please raise your hand if anyone recalls 60 minutes of play.

I do… oh wait… you meant from the Red Wings side of things?  Nevermind.

Posted by calquake on 01/27/13 at 01:13 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Please raise your hand if anyone recalls 60 minutes of play.

I do… oh wait… you meant from the Red Wings side of things?  Nevermind.

Posted by calquake on 01/27/13 at 01:13 PM ET

That is why I keep a bottle of baby powder handy.  60 minutes of play can cause quite a bit of chaffing and redness.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/27/13 at 01:17 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I must be the laziest, most procrastinating bastard alive.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/27/13 at 01:18 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I like PK soupcan’s game.  Seeing him play and how he is described above he reminds me of Chelios.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 01/27/13 at 01:22 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

My Nephew will be in attendance tonite. So far he is 100% in the Game Wrecker stats. That changes tonite.

Thanks OKie.

Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/27/13 at 01:45 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

All of the “defensive lapses” people remember with PK Subban just so happen to be against the other teams’ top lines. He was their leader in ice time last season and faced the toughest competition and still came out ahead.

The penalties thing is a big concern, considering we also have Quincey, who will take a bunch of calls.

I’d love to have him on the Wings.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/27/13 at 01:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Yes he’s been pulling 23:00 a game, got lots of experience already during crunch time.

We would have to give up some considerable talent or draft picks.  Few NHL draft picks ever make it to the NHL, so even though that can have an impact long term, that may have the least impact.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/27/13 at 02:09 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Take a gander at our blue line.  PK Subban would be a huge upgrade, even at his current level of play - which is only likely to improve.

I’d be damn happy to see him in the Winged Wheel, even if it meant having to trade some premium players.

The blue line needs some serious help.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/27/13 at 02:19 PM ET

calquake's avatar

IIRC Montreal wanted a young forward and a prospect.  Would you give up Filpula and Nyquil/Sauce(Tater) to get him?

Posted by calquake on 01/27/13 at 02:27 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Oops, Tatar.

Posted by calquake on 01/27/13 at 02:29 PM ET

monkey's avatar

No.  Draft picks.  He isn’t even signed to a contract- all they would be trading is his rights.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/27/13 at 02:30 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I do.  Oh, to be young and in lust.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/27/13 at 02:32 PM ET