Abel to Yzerman

GDT - Game 45: Red Wings (20-16-8) host Coyotes (19-17-8) 7:30

8  CBJ  46 GP,  22-17-7,  51 PTS,  17 ROW   7-3-0 in last 10.
9  DET  44 GP,  20-16-8,  48 PTS,  18 ROW   3-4-3 in last 10.

3 PTS behind, 2 fewer games played.  I'm no pharmacist, but if DET are to make it to 22, they must win, period.

LGRW.

SEASON RECORD:

DET:  44 GP,  20-16-8,  48 pts, (9 in Conf, 4 in Central), 109 GF, 112 GA, Last 10 3-4-3,  OTL 1

PHX:  44 GP,  20-16-8,  48 pts, (11 in Conf, 5 in Pacific), 109 GF, 112 GA,  Last 10 3-4-3, OTL 1

DET Home:  10-7-4 (21)

PHX Road:  6-9-7 (23)

TEAM STATISTICS:

DET:  0.545 point% (17), 2.43 G/G (24), 2.43 GA/G (9), 1.01 5-5 F/A (16), 17.3 PP% (17), 80.5 PK% (19), 29.8 S/G (12), 27.8 SA/G (8), 50.5 FO% (13)

PHX:  0.523point% (20), 2.50 G/G (19), 2.57 GA/G (14), 1.04 5-5 F/A (14), 14.4 PP% (27), 81.8 PK% (12), 30.6 S/G (9), 30.4 SA/G (20), 52.1 FO% (5)

Goal Differential/Game:

Helm, Darren  Back injury  injured reserve
Samuelsson, Mikael  Pectoral Injuries  sidelined indefinitely

PHX:
Korpikoski, Lauri Upper body injury day-to-day
Morris, Derek Lower body injury day-to-day

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wings spent Saturday in VAN, flew back Sunday.

Miller is out with a broken hand.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

MOWingsfan19's avatar

First home game after a road trip… I smell something stinky coming up. Hope I’m wrong but optimism is pretty scarce ‘round here of late.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/22/13 at 07:49 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

I smell a 2-1 OT or shootout loss.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/22/13 at 08:29 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Last game scored more than 3, March 22. Unacceptable.

I don’t like to see Doan oh fer 6 games coming into this one. Will need to make it 7 in order to win tonite.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/22/13 at 09:13 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’‘m certainly not hoping for, but am expecting one or two key players getting injured tonight. Phoenix can be a pretty dirty goon squad at times.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/22/13 at 09:23 AM ET

Primis's avatar

DET won’t score more than 2, so they’ll lose.  I’m not being negative or fatalistic, this team simply doesn’t and can’t score anymore.  The pathetic result in VAN only proved that, there was no reason they don’t score more in that game.

Come offseason, it’s time to maybe move out a couple of these “creative” or “possession” types of players for someone that actually puts the puck in the $%&# net.  Because I don’t see good things next season if they’re hoping for guys like Nyquist or a Tatar to step in and score 20 or more.  I like them a lot, but that’s expecting too much.  I think most of you by now know who I think needs to score more goals and is letting the team down…

To give credit though… it’s a bit odd that we talk not about forwards and scoring and we’ve let off on bashing the blueline.  They’ve played better.  They’re still not great, but getting healthy really did help some.  Who knew?

Posted by Primis on 04/22/13 at 09:25 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

It’s all up to the Wings. Don’t complain, don’t explain.

4 wins in a row.

I’m not just looking at the one period at a time bullshit. Or the, “We need to start on time”,(whatever the fuch that means)

It’s 4 fuching wins in a row or go home.

Thanks OKie.

Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/22/13 at 09:26 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

So what’s everyone’s late spring plans this year (since there won’t be any hockey)?

; )

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/22/13 at 09:34 AM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

It’s four or…. ‘FORE!!!”

Posted by SandysWingingit on 04/22/13 at 09:40 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

It’s 4 fuching wins in a row or go home.

Actually, Kate, all they need is to “just” go 3-0-1. That’d give them 55 points and neither Dallas or Columbus could catch them even if they win all of their remaining games (54 points is the max either of them can get). But if the Wings lose any of the four remaining games in regulation (or two in OT), they’ll need the Stars or the BJs both to lose (at least in overtime).

But it’s nice to see that the league gave the Wings such an easy schedule for the final week. Only four games in six days, including one on the road. You can always count on Lil’ Gary’s scheduling monkeys to help the Wings out whenever they can.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/22/13 at 09:47 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

; )
Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/22/13 at 10:34 AM ET

Watching the Griffins cool smile

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/22/13 at 09:50 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Oops. Forgot that the last game was against Dallas. But the scenario above holds if that’s the one game they lose in overtime.

On the other hand, this whole thing could be moot by Thursday if the Wings keep playing like they have.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/22/13 at 09:53 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Just win!  One game at a time.  Seriously, we have got to be able to start getting some goals.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/22/13 at 09:57 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Expecting this team to score more than 2 is like asking a baseball team to “manufacture” runs playing small ball without base runners.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/22/13 at 10:00 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Actually, Kate, all they need is to “just” go 3-0-1.

Yea, I know. The 4 fuching wins in a row is a pride thing. As long as the prevailing mentality is only having to go 3-0-1 their chances slip away.

Winning all 4 should be the goal.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/22/13 at 10:04 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Not to rain on anybodys parade, to the best of my recollection, DET has never had more than a 3 game win streak (two times as I recall).

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/22/13 at 11:00 AM ET

No kidding.

Going into the season, I was all worried about the “D”.  Go figure.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/22/13 at 10:08 AM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/22/13 at 11:00 AM ET

Or asking the Tigers to score at least one run out of multiple bases loaded situations yesterday (I saw three, there may have been more).

BTW, does anyone know when was the last time the Wings finished at or below .500? (I’m too apathetic right now to look it up.) They’re currently 20-16-8 (in reality 20-24). Winning out would bring them up to exactly .500.    :(

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 04/22/13 at 10:12 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Khan tweets from the morning skate:

Babcock said the only change tonight is Eaves in for Miller (broken hand). So Colaiacocvo, Lashoff, White out on D. Bertuzzi not ready. . .

Wings skating with these lines: 93-13-8,  51-40-11, 14-63-24, 17-25-22; on D: 55-52, 27-2, 63-4, 23-28. White not skating.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/22/13 at 10:30 AM ET

G’morning, Jeff.  Short and concise GDT.  Perfect.  Thanks.

PHX:  0.523point% (20), 2.50 G/G (19), 2.57 GA/G (14), 1.04 5-5 F/A (14), 14.4 PP% (27), 81.8 PK% (12), 30.6 S/G (9), 30.4 SA/G (20), 52.1 FO% (5)

Heh.  Never thought I’d say it, but that’s a pretty even matchup against the Jetotes.

I don’t see the game notes yet to post the refs calling tonight’s game.  As soon as it’s up, I’ll post it.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/22/13 at 10:38 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

We are finally at, literally, must win games.

Yes, Wings have the “advantage” of a game or two in hand, which means also they will be playing their 4th game in 6 nights going into Dallas on The Night of the Living Dead.

The Head to Head games remaining between the teams competing for the last two places.

MONDAY Phoenix at Detroit

THURSDAY Columbus at Dallas

NOTLD Detroit at Dallas

In that respect, Dallas has an advantage, and the games are at home.

Minnesota is in a prime spot to execute the biggest choke and has been playing poorly.

POS below,  including glide slopes to maximum points if teams win out.  Detroit cannot be kept out of the playoffs if they win out.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/22/13 at 10:43 AM ET

BC's avatar

Three decent periods of hockey Saturday night followed by what looked to me to be a half-assed attempt to gain an extra point in the skills competition.

It’s hard to figure what these guys want, with how the effort seemingly shifts from one extreme to the other, often within the same game.

If they don’t want “it”, we are certainly not going to make it happen by wishing.

Posted by BC on 04/22/13 at 10:46 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I am making the assumption that StL has been playing too well not to get 2 or 4 points in their last 3 games.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/22/13 at 10:50 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Spots 7-10 over the last ten games:

MIN 3-6-1
CBJ 7-3-0
DRW 3-4-3
DAL 6-3-1

Two slots for four teams. My heart is pulling for the Wings, but if I was forced to lay a chunk of change, I’d have to go with CBJ and DAL making the playoffs.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/22/13 at 10:57 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Three decent periods of hockey Saturday night
Posted by BC on 04/22/13 at 11:46 AM ET

You are right.  I read some comments about effort or not caring by some posters and I wonder what game or team they are watching.  Some seem to confuse a bad break or an error with not playing hard, which I chalk up to frustration or maybe their not being familiar with hockey.  Even the brain fart induced loss at Calgary wasn’t due to lack of effort.  They were all over Vancouver the last 30 minutes of the last game and pretty much the entire OT.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/22/13 at 10:58 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by BC on 04/22/13 at 11:46 AM ET

Nailed it man.  What do they want?  To put ona good enough show not to get ripped by the press the day after?  To play just good enough, or hard enough, for just long enough Babs doesn’t make you come in for extra video or self-help programs based on his book?

You sure don’t want to win.  Winning is something that may or may not happen depending on the will of the gods, evidently.  They’re about doing good things, maybe good things is making the other team feel better about themselves?  It would explain why they gave 9 of 10 points to C-bus this year and got rocked by Cal-gary.  Oh, and they shit the bed against the Jackets BEFORE they went and, somehow without selling their entire team, got Marion Gaborik.

What do the players want?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/22/13 at 10:58 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/22/13 at 11:57 AM ET

It’s certainly going to be difficult to win more than 2 / 4 games if they score a maximum of 2 goals per game.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/22/13 at 11:02 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

RWBill, they finsihed checks the first two minutes of the game.

A couple players had good games, as a team, they had a shit game.  I saw a couple people that were consistent and didn’t mean to seem like I’m painting broad strokes, but you win by committee.  YOu do that by orginizing.  Coaches and Captains orginize.  When I see as many floaters as I did, that were getting PRIME minutes…. Vancouver paid for nothing, not for scoring chances, puck retrievals, nothing.  We only took what they gave us, which on auto-pilot for them, STILL wasn’t a lot, hence the one goal.  No creativity except for the usual.  No speed except for Gus.

I KNOW they’re a better team than showed up against Van, but we still played like we didn’t think we belonged.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/22/13 at 11:03 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Oh, this is spiffy news;  DET are 1-3-2 at Joe Louis Arena since March 7.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/22/13 at 11:03 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Actually, Bill, to be completely honest, watching the Wings this year has been like watching the Jackets in past years.  They have a mindset of “you can’t help but be mediocre in this league” generally not believing you can be much better than anyone else.  Then you have the work ethic problem.  Not starting on time for 3 years is a work ethic problem.  Show up to work on time.  Come on man, at this point it’s fuching infuriating, 3 years???

Reminds me SOOO much of the Jackets.  Bringing in bargain players for their self-imposed salary cap.  Had a pretty good player they relied on nightly to win or lose.  Had some skill and size on the back-end with some smaller forwards with a few exceptions.

Really the ONLY thing that changed was in that locker-room.  They got a coach who they seem to gel with.  They got a new GM who showed he was willing to make smart moves to give the team any chance to win (pulling for Gaborik was ballsy, given where they were in the race).. but I think it came down to addition by subtraction.  They got rid of one predominate temperment in the locker-room and replaced it with another (Vinny Prospal)  They hitched their wagon to the right MENTALITY and started winning.  Prospal isn’t going to give you near what Nash does as far as stats.  He gives you truck loads more in the right mentality (not to be confused with positive mentality, spinning losses into positives only works when they aren’t every other night)

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/22/13 at 11:11 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Yotes’ pride as professionals and desire not to be mathematically eliminated v. Wings long lurid history of post-roadie tank jobs. Advantage: PHX

Kings desire for home ice in round one v. Wings desire to make the playoffs. Advantage: push

Preds desire to eliminate Wings from playoffs v. Wings desire to make the playoffs. Advantage: NAS

DAL v. DRW. Who cares? DAL will have clinched 8 spot before the game.

This is depressing. But at the same time, if they drop their last three in regulation, they could fall into the bottom 10 and have a decent shot at Seth Jones. I guess that makes me depressingly ambivalent.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/22/13 at 11:12 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

last four games. I’m mathematically challenged this morning.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/22/13 at 11:14 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

As others have pointed out , the defence has been pretty damn good over that 10 game record. As a d-man myself, it is very frustrating to watch an inept offence throwing eveything onto the d and goalie’s shoulders .It may work for a game or two but that is all.

Babbles needs to do what Dick Irvin did to the Habs years ago. He brought a net into the locker room and threw a puck into the net. Nothing else needed to be said.

Shoot, clog the crease, and score.

Now I will try to practice what I preach at the rink for a couple of hours. Se you all later.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/22/13 at 11:30 AM ET

dougie's avatar

And here I was all “I am changing my narrative to be enthusiastic about the last week of the regular season.”

Fuch it, 10 minutes here, and I feel like I might as well slit my wrists and shoot my dogs.

Gloom, despair, and agony on me.
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery.
If it weren’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all.
Gloom, despair, and agony on me.

I gotta be drunk to hang out here anymore.

Posted by dougie on 04/22/13 at 12:01 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/22/13 at 11:58 AM ET

I’m guessing the NYR still feel bad about the “de-pantsing” they gave the CBJ in the Rick Nash deal (even if it did work out for the best in Columbus).

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/22/13 at 12:01 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

i really like our team

grin

really.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/22/13 at 12:15 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by dougie on 04/22/13 at 01:01 PM ET

Sure does seem that way.

I mean, I get it. I understand that people are disappointed that the Wings are on the verge of not making the playoffs, and yeah it does suck.

But between here and HFBoards, you’d think the Wings were suddenly the Flames, and that there was a waiting list to leap from the Ambassador Bridge.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/22/13 at 12:21 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by dougie on 04/22/13 at 01:01 PM ET

Hold on there Dougie. I’m all in. Fuch the gloom, doom, and despair. This is one bitch that is still hanging in there. Whore-style.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/22/13 at 12:44 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from aboard the Crazy Train on 04/22/13 at 01:21 PM ET

I want to add my voice to this line of thought.  I’m not crazy about where the Wings are in life right now, but the constant focus on the negative around here is a drag.  I’m not saying that people don’t have the right to criticize or that they’re bad fans for being unsatisfied.  But the best thing about sports is that it gives us a way to invest our whole selves into something while keeping it light and fun.

Be it through the need to be right about every issue, twist everything into a negative, or the refusal to see anything positive; there is an element around here that has really sucked the fun out of being Wings fans.  That’s sad.

And before someone gets the idea, don’t feed me that crap line about how “I don’t have to come here if I don’t like it.”  Those of us who root for the Wings while leaving our pitchforks in the shed have a right to be here too, nor is the expectation of collegiality among users a great one…

I don’t like being a Peloton of Suck team, but I do recognize that it could be worse.  I also try not to lose sight of the idea that being a fan isn’t worth the effort if I won’t allow myself to enjoy it.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/22/13 at 12:51 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/22/13 at 01:51 PM ET

Well said; those are my sentiments exactly.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/22/13 at 12:54 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I really believe the lack of urgency came though the long seasons where it was expected to drop a few games here and there or to go on a skid. Now that the season is a shorter (and I think more appropriate) length, there’s the same acceptance of incompetence and loss. I can’t imagine Ted Lindsay on this team. The fiery hatred of losing seems to be lacking. The skate-to-the-throat ruthlessness is gone. This is a team playing without desperation and without ease.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/22/13 at 01:01 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Hi, my name is Calquake and I’m a Wingaholic.  I’ve tried to quit many times but I need the juice that is the Detroit Red Wings.  Come hell or high water I’m here for the duration.  No jumping the bandwagon for me.

Posted by calquake on 04/22/13 at 01:59 PM ET