Abel to Yzerman

GDT - Game 41: Red Wings (19-15-6) at ‘Hawks (30-5-4) 8:30

After last nights craptastic game in which the Wings managed a charity point, DET remain in 8th, 2 pts behind MIN, and 2 pts in front of PHX.

If DET are lucky enough to limp into the post-season,then tonights tilt against CHI is the proverbial playoff preview.  Looking at the'Hawks gaudy statistics, it could be ugly, really friggin ugly.

However, after witnessing last nights malaise; don't talk about playoffs, the Wings will be lucky to win a freaking game on this road-trip.

SEASON RECORD:

DET:  40 GP,  19-15-6,  44 pts, (8 in Conf, 3 in Central), 101 GF, 104 GA, Last 10 5-4-1,  OT 1

CHI:  39 GP,  30-5-4,  67 pts, (1 in Conf, 1 in Pacific), 129 GF, 83 GA,  Last 10 6-3-1,  WON 3

DET ROAD:  9-8-2 (? decent)

CHI HOME:  14-3-2 (? otherworldly)

TEAM STATISTICS:

DET:  0.550 point% (16), 2.48 G/G (22), 2.52 GA/G (14), 0.98 5-5 F/A (17), 18.3 PP% (14), 79.9 PK% (21), 29.5 S/G (14), 28.6 SA/G (14), 50.8 FO% (11)

CHI:  0.821 point% (1), 3.18 G/G (2), 2.03 GA/G (1), 1.58 5-5 F/A (1), 16.7 PP% (20), 85.7 PK% (5), 31.5 S/G (4), 26.0 SA/G (4), 50.6 FO% (13)

Goal Differential/Game:

Bertuzzi, Todd  Back injury  injured reserve
Helm, Darren  Back injury  injured reserve
Samuelsson, Mikael  Pectoral Injuries  sidelined indefinitely

CHI:

Bolland, Dave  Foot injury  day-to-day

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll post word on the lineups for tonight when I find it.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, Okie.

I’m usually in the “never, never, never give up” crowd when it comes to our beloved Wings, but right now I just can no longer fight off my sense of doom.

When SJ tied the game last night, I just knew the Wings weren’t going to win.  I just felt it.  (Sorry Kate and stonehands…)

Tonight?  I feel like I’d be a masochist to even watch.  Honestly?  If the Hawks were to be the Wings’ first round opponent, I would rather have the Wings not even make the playoffs.  Why bother?  Why risk more injuries for nothing?

And the thought of the NBC broadcast team salivating over the Wings demise would simply be too much for this old Cosmic Dust era Red Wings fan to endure.

I say let Pittsburgh and Chicago have at it.  Any Cup win this “season” will have a huge asterisk next to it anyway.  And maybe, just maybe, the Wings would get a really juicy draft pick for a change…

Sorry to start off all “gloom and doom” today, but that’s what I’m feeling.  Or maybe it’s the fact that we had our first 90 degree day down here yesterday and my AC quit working this morning.

tongue wink

In any event, while I have zero expectations for tonight, I will continue to hope.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/12/13 at 08:49 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

I’m not going to try and sell anyone on the idea that the Wings played a great game last night.  But at least consider, they held their own against a team that has straight up had their number for about four years now.  I can’t be too bummed at the Wings… they forced a shootout against a team that is designed to beat them… and usually does.

Moreover, Detroit has a two point lead on Phoenix, and the two teams are tied in games played.  They aren’t far behind seventh and sixth place either.  The Wings can’t be the only team tripping their way into the playoffs.  I know all that doesn’t amount to much, but it ain’t nothin’ either.

Hopefully the Hawks are feeling complacent now that they’ve clinched.

*Knock on wood.*

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/12/13 at 09:06 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Dallas, Columbus, and Phoenix are facing a murderer’s row to end their seasons as well.  Detroit doesn’t have it easy by any stretch, but its worth considering that the Wings have the lead right now in this four horse race for eighth.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/12/13 at 09:12 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

four horse race

... to the apocalypse   ...  wink

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/12/13 at 09:38 AM ET

dougie's avatar

I have never considered there to be any upside to having to attend a wedding rehearsal.

It is looking like a blessing in disguise tonight. sADLY, i WILL MISS THE GAME.

Now I have to go look up the “Do’s and Don’ts” for lesbian nuptials. Seems I will be giving away the “husband”. Long story, but basically, it’s an employee. GREAT employee, came with her own power tools.

Posted by dougie on 04/12/13 at 09:50 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/12/13 at 09:06 AM ET

Bezukov, I wanna smoke some of what you are bogarting:

CHI:  0.821 point% (1), 3.18 G/G (2), 2.03 GA/G (1), 1.58 5-5 F/A (1)

SJS do have DET’s number lately, but they are also terrible on the road this season.

DET had to have that win last night, and boy howdy they sure came storming out of the gate like their season was on the line.  Good grief.  DET were damn lucky to get the charity point, way way too many passengers last night.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/12/13 at 09:55 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Courage, 19!

Then shall our names,
  Familiar in his mouth as household words-
  Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
  Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
  Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb’red.
  This story shall the good man teach his son;
  And Crispin Crispian shall ne’er go by,
  From this day to the ending of the world,
  But we in it shall be remembered-
  We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother;

Posted by w2j2 on 04/12/13 at 09:57 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

^^  Personally I’d rather not see the Wings limp into the playoffs just to be annihilated by CHI.  I’d much rather see them have a lottery ball for the draft.

That shit last night, against a terrible road team, was just the latest example of fairly poor, uninspired hockey.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/12/13 at 09:58 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/12/13 at 08:49 AM ET

To keep your sanity do not, I repeat do NOT listen to NBC broadcasters. Mute your tv or puter and listen to Ken Kal or Pandora or the dishwasher. I haven’t listened to those tools in a couple years and I also haven’t kicked a puppy in a couple years. Coincindence? I think not.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/12/13 at 10:02 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

thanks, Okie.

i gotta good feel’n aboot tonight ...

i really like our team.  grin

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/12/13 at 10:02 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

they need Tootoo in the game.  He provides emotion, at least.  Remember when Abby was supposed to be the next Downey.  He was learning to fight. Uncle Mike said we needed him to ‘keep the flies off’.  He used to provide emotion, too.  Now he’s hopelessly skating around trying to figure out how to be the skilled scorer he’ll never be.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/12/13 at 10:06 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Looking for a “D” man on 04/12/13 at 09:58 AM ET

I just don’t understand it. This team has had slow, uninspired starts for a couple seasons now. I would like to blame Uncle Mike for this but that’s too easy. Professional athletes shouldn’t need to be pumped up by their coach. This isn’t Hoosiers fer fecks sake. This teams desperately needs fire. Tootoo should be in every game just for the simple fact he has fire. We should have Dallas Drake scouting for us because he had fire. Holmstrom should find the fountain of youth and play again because he had fire. Our players that aren’t highly talented (everyone except Pasha and Zetterberg) should have FIRE!

I need a drink…

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/12/13 at 10:08 AM ET

dougie's avatar

I need a drink…

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/12/13 at 10:08 AM ET

OK, talked me into it. I was gonna hold off until noon, but what the hey.

Posted by dougie on 04/12/13 at 10:14 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by dougie on 04/12/13 at 10:14 AM ET

Slainte

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/12/13 at 10:26 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

The other thing I think about on this topic is that revered Lidstrom ‘even keel’-ness.  Always a source of relief when Nick was around, but there were others that were pretty fiery on that team who are now gone.  Maybe the even keel has left them too passive without realizing why?

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/12/13 at 10:26 AM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

Wings official meetup in chicago tonight at hi tops near depaul, i’ll be there drinking HEAVILY in the Larionov jersey smile

I don’t see how the wings show any fight to win at all in this game.

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/12/13 at 10:28 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

DET - NOT HOT:

Valtteri Filppula 0 pts in last 3 GP
Dan Cleary 0 pts in last 3 GP
Ian White 0 pts in last 5 GP

I like our team.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/12/13 at 10:30 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I think Mitchell Callahan needs to make the team next year.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/12/13 at 10:43 AM ET

This one could be brutal.

Posted by godblender on 04/12/13 at 10:43 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Last night and tonight are simply 2 more nails in the coffin.
Getting into the playoffs due to getting help from other teams is the same as missing them IMO. Reality is a bitch.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/12/13 at 10:50 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by w2j2 on 04/12/13 at 09:57 AM ET

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our 19 dead.
In peace there’s nothing so becomes a fan
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of McCarty;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with Lemieux induced rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o’erHELM it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O’erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill’d with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest 19.
Whose blood is fet from Cup Champs of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Yzermans and Lidstroms,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought
And hanged up their skates for lack of argument:
Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call’d Captains did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to Kronwall. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in Motown, show us here
The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the puck drop. The game’s afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry ‘God for Pavel, Motown, and Saint Gord!’

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/12/13 at 10:51 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I think Mitchell Callahan needs to make the team next year.
Posted by MoreShoot on 04/12/13 at 10:43 AM ET

This ^^^^

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/12/13 at 10:53 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

they held their own

did you WATCH the game?  they were outplayed in every aspect of the game from buzzer to buzzer.  it’s an absolute frigging miracle they were able to get a point out of that game.  it should have been 3-0 or 4-0 by the third period.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 11:08 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Valtteri Filppula 0 pts in last 3 GP
Dan Cleary 0 pts in last 3 GP
Ian White 0 pts in last 5 GP

I like our team.

$9.5 million dollars.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 11:10 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

the astounding thing is somehow the Wings managed to play the Blackhawks pretty close in a couple of the games.  but I think the Wings are actually WORSE now than they were then.

a first round series against Chicago will be extremely demoralizing for the Wings, especially the younger players.  it might be a very, very bad thing for their confidence.  is it better for them to have the anger and pain and sting of not making the playoffs at all, than the shame of getting absolutely destroyed?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 11:14 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/12/13 at 10:02 AM ET

You’re so right and most of the time, I do what you recommended (guess I need to change that to all of the time).

I was really sorry to see NBC take over the broadcasting of the entire playoffs last year.  Used to be, we got the first two rounds on CenterIce/Gamecenter.  That broadcast team is the worst - IMO - in sports.  My fear is that they will start showing more and more games every year.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/12/13 at 11:14 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/12/13 at 10:51 AM ET

So I should snuggle up with my McCarty jersey tonight?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/12/13 at 11:16 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

A couple years ago, Boston matched up with the Habs in the first round, and Milbury thought the series was so laughable he quipped that maybe they should just let the series be 3 wins to a win to spare the Habs more humiliation.  The rest is history.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/12/13 at 11:29 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

This is a chart style you’re accustomed to, 10 early games chopped off.  Working on another chart.
I lose resolution and quality transferring the chart from Excel to photo format for the blog. I do “sharpen” it again just before copying the link, but it still never looks quite the same.  I keep modifying some team colors and their line and shape formats a bit to make it easier to distinguish.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/12/13 at 11:32 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/12/13 at 11:29 AM ET

We are talking about Mike “The Genius” Milbury.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/12/13 at 11:32 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

A closer look at the lower playoff spots, with ROW tiebreaker affixed.

Astonishingly, or maybe not, the NHL Gamecenter App Standings do not include a ROW column, the second most important factor in standings after total team points.  You have to go to a credible web site, or nhl.com, to find it.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/12/13 at 12:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I gotta admit, even for obsessed fanatics a lot of these comments lately are laughable, and some totally baseless.

v00x, drink please!

( Has anyone heard from rumbear this morning? Feeling no pain last night, but we know that doesn’t last)

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/12/13 at 12:12 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 11:08 AM ET

Except it wasn’t 3-0 or 4-0.  It was 2-2 after 65 minutes.  I’m not saying the Wings looked like world beaters, but keep it in perspective man.  Detroit had their chances too.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/12/13 at 12:13 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

So I should snuggle up with my McCarty jersey tonight?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/12/13 at 11:16 AM ET

Always

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/12/13 at 12:17 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/12/13 at 12:04 PM ET

Here is another way to look at things:

28 MAR @ SJS 0-2 L
31 MAR @ CHI 0-7 L
1 APR v COL   3-2 W
4 APR @ PHX   2-4 L
5 APR @ COL   3-2 W
7 APR v STL   0-1 L
11 APR v SJS   2-3 OTL

14 pts, and DET have earned exactly 5 of those pts.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/12/13 at 12:20 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Detroit had their chances too.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/12/13 at 12:13 PM ET

Just imagine what they could have done if they stated the game in the 1st period rather than the 2nd?

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/12/13 at 12:21 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Except it wasn’t 3-0 or 4-0.  It was 2-2 after 65 minutes.

which is an aberration based on San Jose blowing a couple chances (breakaways) and hitting a couple posts.  that kind of luck doesn’t persist throughout a 7 game series.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 12:24 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Looking for a “D” man on 04/12/13 at 12:21 PM ET

“From your mouth to the Wings’ ears” my man.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 12:24 PM ET

Fair enough.  I would also point out that over a seven game series the Wings might improve their game.  The point is that anything can happen, and last night anything could have happened.  What happened in actuality was that the Wings competed with the Sharks right up to the end, posts or no posts.  What’s so bad about giving them that credit?

I’m not acting like it was a win, but there were positive aspects of last night’s game that are worth pointing out.  If you want to dwell solely on negatives, that’s all you man.

The constant negativity around here is getting to be a drag.  Everybody needs to relax.  The situation is what it is, and the Wings are still in the hunt.  I’d like things to be better, but on balance, it ain’t all bad either.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/12/13 at 12:39 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

please point them out, because I didn’t see any.

they were outskated, outhussled, outworked, didn’t win puck battles, shooting high and wide or into the other team’s skates, couldn’t clear their zone, making bad passes, turnovers, the list goes on.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/12/13 at 12:49 PM ET

peiz11's avatar

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/12/13 at 12:39 PM ET

Me and Paul went back and forth over on Malik the other day on this kind of topic and I’m with you bezukov. Paul is right that they were outplayed but that doesn’t mean anything necessarily in this sport. The Wings have constantly outplayed teams for 20 years and still get beat. How many games did they outshoot the opponent in year’s past 40-15 and still lose.

People seem to be so depressed around here, let’s enjoy an exciting playoff run. Change is tough but the mindset around here is to fire everyone and complain about how bad we are. Yes, this team isn’t a dominant force but they can win any game they play in and there’s something positive about not being the Flames or Avs these days.

I’m going to say this, I know I’m going to get flamed, but did anyone else like what they saw from Flip last night? Sure he still needs to get to the net and shoot 1000x more but he seemed to be one of the few trying to make plays happen for a change.

Posted by peiz11 from Minneapolis on 04/12/13 at 01:09 PM ET