Abel to Yzerman

GDT - Game 28: Red Wings (12-10-5) at Oilers (10-11-5) 9:30

The Wings take their horrendous 3-6-2 road record to EDM tonight trying to snap their current 0-2-1 skid; which has seen them fall out of playoff position.  DET find themselves 9th in the WC, only 3 pts from 4th position, and only 5 pts from 15th.

It has been quite some time since the Wings were fighting just to try to get into the playoffs.  There is much angst among the 19; lots of finger pointing at the front office, the coach(es), and the players.  Something isn't working, and opinion ranges from coaching scheme, line combos, to the talent pool.  But it all points to the one thing everyone agrees on, DET just aren't very good right now.  The Wings are terrible on the road, scoring goals is a challenge, special teams are still a disaster, and mistakes regularly end up in DET's net.

Winning would help, alot; especially against the teams you should beat (I think).  LGRW

SEASON RECORD:

DET:  27 GP,  12-10-5,  29 pts, (9 in Conf, 3 in Central), 70 GF, 71 GA, Last 10 5-3-2,  LOST 1

EDM:  246GP,  10-11-5,  25 pts, (13 in Conf, 2 in Northwest), 64 GF, 76 GA, Last 10 4-4-2,  WON 2

DET ROAD:  3-6-2 (24)

EDM HOME:  4-4-2 (26)

TEAM STATISTICS:

DET:  0.537 point% (18), 2.52 G/G (20), 2.56 GA/G (10), 1.15 5-5 F/A (9), 15.1 PP% (25), 78.4 PK% (25), 29.8 S/G (13), 28.1 SA/G (11), 51.9 FO% (6)

EDM:  0.481 point% (22), 2.38 G/G (24), 2.85 GA/G (21), 0.67 5-5 F/A (29), 23.1 PP% (7), 83.8 PK% (7), 28.0 S/G (20), 33.9 SA/G (30), 45.5 FO% (30)

Goal Differential/Game:

Belanger, Eric Groin injured reserve
Fistric, Mark Elbow injury injured reserve
Sutton, Andy Knee surgery injured reserve

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Khan, from yesterday practice:

Jimmy starting.

Babcock said there might be some lineup changes. He'll decide Friday. Options include putting Jordin Tootoo back in at forward – he was a healthy scratch for the first time this season on Wednesday – and putting White back in on defense.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, Okie, as always!

Every game is a new chance to turn things around, right?  (Trying to be optimistic again.)

I honestly don’t know why Uncle Mike sat Tootoo last game.  That and sending Tatar Sauce down really had me scratching my head.  It seemed like the 3rd and 4th lines were the ones that were pretty consistently creating havoc around the opponent’s net, so why mess with success?

But I’m not making the big bucks to know about these things.  And I keep remembering Uncle Mike saying, a few games ago:  “I don’t have the answers to these things.”  So… guess the team is just Winging It.

tongue wink

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/15/13 at 08:04 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Geez, where is everybody today?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/15/13 at 09:25 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

If the front office and the coach doesn’t seem to care (at least publicly), why should we?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/15/13 at 10:09 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Geez, where is everybody today?
Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/15/13 at 10:25 AM ET

I’m here. Waiting patiently for the Filppula, Franzen, White trade that’s gonna come down.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/15/13 at 10:24 AM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

DET - NOT HOT:

Dan Cleary 0 pts in last 8 GP

Hello?  Hello?

Posted by Colquhoun on 03/15/13 at 10:41 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by Vladimir16 on 03/15/13 at 11:24 AM ET

HAHAHAHA.  Yeah, right.

wink

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/15/13 at 10:47 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

DET - HOT:
Jimmy Howard 2-0-2, 0.96, .965 in last 4 GPI

wHAT aBOUT oUR aWESOME rOAD pp? iT wAS sUPER bEST aWESOME aT fIFTY pERCENT iN tHE lAST gAME aGAINST cALGARY.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/15/13 at 11:06 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 03/15/13 at 11:09 AM

Because we are Wingaholics. We have no control, it’s a disease.

Posted by Vladimir16 on 03/15/13 at 11:24 AM ET
[/quote

Nothing changes until a Coaching change is made.

Dave Lewis got 2 Years then he was let go. So where was the loyalty regarding him? I don’t get why Babbles is still here. He has failed for the last 4.

Thanks OKie.

Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/15/13 at 11:09 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

That is true, Kate.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/15/13 at 11:17 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Lewis never shoulda been hired as a head coach.
Barry Smith shoulda replaced Scotty, ask Scotty.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 11:22 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Lewis never shoulda been hired as a head coach.
Barry Smith shoulda replaced Scotty, ask Scotty.
Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 12:22 PM ET

True dat. I think the fact that the Wings rejected Scotty’s recommendation sped up his departure from the organization.

He coached in the KHL for a while and is now the Hawks director of player development. I wonder if they could lure him away for a head coaching gig?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/15/13 at 11:31 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Lewis never shoulda been hired as a head coach.
Barry Smith shoulda replaced Scotty, ask Scotty.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 12:22 PM ET [/quote

Well duh. I was just trying to make a point.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/15/13 at 11:33 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

You know there is another way that winning helps this team.  You gotta win to get points. Winning gets you separation. Separation gets you help. Help in the form of trades and acquisitions. No team, while in the playoff race is gonna trade assets. You beat teams near you, they drop out of contention. Only by the trade deadline will these teams possibly consider movement(s).

I know its a bit of a captain obvious moment in my statement above. But you cant expect to get any help(in the form of trades) if you dont first help the cause by winning points from those around you, and sink them in the standings.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/15/13 at 11:34 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/15/13 at 12:34 PM ET

A trade or two is going to turn this team from cusp-of-the-playoffs mediocrity to a contender?

This team is way beyond reloading; it is rebuilding time.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/15/13 at 11:40 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Lewis never shoulda been hired as a head coach.
Barry Smith shoulda replaced Scotty, ask Scotty.
Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 12:22 PM ET

Yep. The Brass wanted a feckin player coddler and that’s what Lewis was because he’s a really nice guy. Smith was a hard ass and I think would have been a great head coach for the Wings

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/15/13 at 11:40 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

no, never said anything about being a contender. Actually for exaple, i was referring to a team such as Faunix. They wouldnt deal Yandle while in the race themselves. And getting him would be for a rebuild and consideration of future play, not just for now.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/15/13 at 11:43 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/15/13 at 12:43 PM ET

I wasn’t sure, so I posed it as a question. The other problem with trades is KH’s penchant for trading picks away, but now we might actually have a decent draft position so hopefully he’ll hold on to them this year.

Will the Wings be a seller if they are not in a playoffspot on April 3d? Pavs is pretty much the only decent trade bait. Flip is a FA at the end of the season, so his value ain’t much unless his new team thinks they could sign him. Maybe an AHL team would trade a bag of pucks and some skate guards for 11?

Trading Pavs was a big topic yesterday. Where could he go?

The Caps look like a possibility.  If I’m reading capgeek correctly they have room this season and next season. They are also out of the playoffs at this point, so their first round pick could be decent. But they are not that far out of the playoffs, they play much better at home than on the road, and after the trade deadline thye have 8 home games to only 4 road games.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/15/13 at 12:12 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Could the Wings be a seller at the trade deadline?
Why not?

Posted by w2j2 on 03/15/13 at 12:29 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

thanks, Okie.

2 points tonite, K? And,  um, ...

I really like our team.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/15/13 at 12:35 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

My two cents….because that and another $4.82 will get you a Decaf Venti Vanilla Jamocha Latte at Starbucks.

Deadline, smeadline….any “rebuilding” the Wings do will be to face east coast teams next year.

This year will be what it will be. Embrace the decline,  enjoy the decline!

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 03/15/13 at 12:36 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

We trade Pavel and I’ll stop following the Red Wings. Yeah, he’d surely bring in a nice return and all… but EFF THAT.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 12:38 PM ET

Thanks, Jeff.  Good to see the GDT this morning.  Slainte.

Honestly, I have nothing.  I don’t have a crumble in the Wings war room.  I just want the two points and a confidence that the team we got going into the playoffs (heh, riiiiight) will take us far into it.

Whatever.  Just get the g-ddamn two points, Wings.

Referees:
#4 Wes McCauley
#22 - Ghislain Hebert

Linesmen:
#76 - Michel Cormier
#57 - Jay Sharrers

Hebert for the second game in a row.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 03/15/13 at 12:46 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

We trade Pavel and I’ll stop following the Red Wings

Most definitely. He is my favorite player of all time. That would be it for me.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/15/13 at 12:53 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Looks like I will be traveling east during both the M basketball game and the Wings game, so my TV screen will be safe from flying objects, for now.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/15/13 at 01:19 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I wouldn’t quit being a Wings fan, but I would shit diamond bricks.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/15/13 at 01:20 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

No one player is great than the team.I love Pavs. The guy is witch with the puck He does incredible shit that no one else can do. I would hate to see Pavs in any other uniform. I would hate it more if he walked at the end of his contract and the Wings got nothing for their most valuable player.

I’m not a Pav fan. I’m not a Helm fan. I’m not even a Yzerman fan. I am a Red Wings Fan. And I Am A Red Wings Fan Forever.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/15/13 at 01:38 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

We trade Pavel and I’ll stop following the Red Wings.

This.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/15/13 at 02:24 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Captain, with all due respect, you’re clearly a Red Wings fan but I don’t know how you divorce the team from the men who play on the team.  Yes, sports is a business, but if that’s all it is they should save a sh!tload of money and just have it be a computer animation.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/15/13 at 02:31 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

I’m not a Pav fan. I’m not a Helm fan. I’m not even a Yzerman fan.I am a Red Wings Fan. And I Am A Red Wings Fan Forever.
Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 03/15/13 at 02:38 PM ET

+19

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/15/13 at 02:47 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/15/13 at 03:31 PM ET

Of course you get attached to the individual players, but the business nature of the sport means the players you love may or may not be part of the team tomorrow. For example, I’m a huge Hudler fan—yeah, I know, shocker right?—but now I’ll just watch more Calgary games now and wish him well…

... except when he plays the Wings, of course. wink

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/15/13 at 02:50 PM ET

So can we expect you to never offer an opinion in a discussion about Abdelkader or Howard or any other individual player?

Posted by Garth on 03/15/13 at 03:07 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/15/13 at 03:31 PM ET

I’m not sure that it can be explained, but perhaps by example.

I was upset when the Wings signed Bertuzzi. I thought he should have received a lifetime ban for what he did to Moore. But I love the team so I’m still a fan. There will always be players you love and hate. There will always be coaches and front office people you love and hate. I hate Babcock. I live in SoCal and thought he was over rated and overly stubborn when he was with the Ducks. I was shocked when the Wings hired him. But I’m still a fan of the Wings. I became a fan as a kid when Norris still owned the team and didn’t give a damn about it . He ran the team into the ground.

I think maybe it comes from when a person comes to the sport. As a boy, my folks took me to Lions, Tigers and Red Games and I have a love of those teams that endures to this day no matter when the men who own, operate and play for those teams do to those teams.

I have a friend who loves the NFL. But she is a fan of players,  not teams. She was a huge Peyton Manning fan, but when the Colts cut him, she jumped ship to RG3. I don’t understand how she can do that.  I guess being a fan of a player is just different from being a fan of a team.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/15/13 at 03:16 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by Garth on 03/15/13 at 04:07 PM ET

Being a fan of the team means I can’t have an opinion about who owns it, runs it and plays for it? C’mon Garth, you have a brain (I think). Don’t you know a mind is a terrible thing to waste?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/15/13 at 03:19 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

that endures to this day no matter when the men

no matter what the men

Oops

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/15/13 at 03:23 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 03/15/13 at 04:16 PM ET

Me too.  I’m a fan of the team, going back to the Dead Wings era.  Now don’t get me wrong, I have favorite players (#19 was my hero), but it is the team first.  The logo on the front is volumes more important than the name on the back.

I’d hate to see DET trade Datsyuk.  But if they thought he was going to back to Russia after next year, and they had little chance of being Cup competitive next season, it’d be criminal to lose him for nothing.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/15/13 at 03:35 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Garth on 03/15/13 at 04:07 PM ET

That actually made negative sense.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/15/13 at 03:40 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Wings playing their equivalent of what, 10 pm?  They’re losing this one.  I hope it’s OT though and we can at least snag a point.

I’ll be watching 2, 22, 25 and 52 tonight.

Whatever happened to Brunner?  Started off so hot…  maybe we have another Franzen lol, wouldn’t that be our luck.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/15/13 at 03:46 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Players get traded, its a fact of sports and the business that is the game we love.
Certain players come and go and nobody really cares…. but other guys are heart ‘n’ soul team guys. They don’t belong on another team in the same league.
Pavel ain’t Stevie, but neither one should ever pull on a jersey with any logo on the front of their jersey other than the winged wheel at the NHL level.
So since we had no shot at the Cup last year, we should have traded Lids off to a contender???? Really? We let him ride off into the sunset on his terms, I see no reason to treat Pavel any differently.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 03:50 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/15/13 at 04:46 PM ET

Silver lining: At least he can’t sign a 12-year contract…

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/15/13 at 03:51 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

He just might be hitting the proverbial wall, he’s played more hockey this year between Zug & on the Wings than he’s ever played in a season.
He’s got the tools to play a full season like he started here, but there’s a big adjustment to a lot of things he’s going to have to work through if he wants to stay at the top of his game.
If he’s still sleep walking on the ice like Franzen in a couple years, then I’d make that comparison.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 03:53 PM ET