Abel to Yzerman

GDT - Game 26: Red Wings (12-9-4) host Blue Jackets (9-12-4) 5:00

Yesterdays tilt with the BJ's was a gawd-awful mess.  Really, how does a man get abused by BJ's?  Uncle Mike obviously doesn't know either, as this is the second occurance of the sky falling:   “I thought we were bad,'' Babcock said. “Why was that? Was that mental prep? Was that the coach never got any messages across? Lack of preparation? Did we practice too long yesterday? I don't know any of the answers to those things. But, the bottom line is we weren't mentally prepared to play hard enough and long enough to have success.''

Yea Mike, I thought your team was bad too, embarassingly so (I blame Jacskon Browne). And let's beat a dead horse some more; 0-36 road PP (and 0-13 overall in past 6 tilts).  Hell's bells, you can pot at least one by accident.

For whatever reason, the Wings are a totally different team playing on the Mean Streets of DET.   The BJ's own the worst road-record in the league.  Time for a little pay-back, eh?

SEASON RECORD:

DET:  25 GP,  12-9-4,  28 pts, (6 in Conf, 3 in Central), 66 GF, 63 GA, Last 10 5-3-2,  LOST 1

CBJ:  25 GP,  9-12-4,  20 pts, (14 in Conf, 5 in Central), 58 GF, 70 GA, Last 10 5-3-2,  WON 4

DET HOME:  9-4-2 (10)

CBJ ROAD:  2-8-1  (30)

TEAM STATISTICS:

DET:  0.560 point% (15), 2.56 G/G (18), 2.48 GA/G (9), 1.29 5-5 F/A (5), 14.3 PP% (26), 77.9 PK% (24), 29.7 S/G (12), 28.6 SA/G (15), 52.2 FO% (6)

CBJ:  0.440 point% (26), 2.24 G/G (26), 2.76 GA/G (14), 0.78 5-5 F/A (27), 13.9 PP% (28), 85.9 PK% (5), 26.7 S/G (29), 29.4 SA/G (19), 50.8 FO% (12)

Goal Differential/Game:

Dorsett, Derek  Fractured clavicle  injured reserve
Dubinsky, Brandon  Knee injury  injured reserve
Moore, John  Shoulder injury  injured reserve
Wisniewski, James  Broken foot  injured reserve

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

dougie's avatar

The sky is not falling. But the earth beneath our feet is crumbling. I know this because I discovered a 5 foot wide sinkhole beside my well pump this morning. Seriously.

On one side of it, you can’t see to the bottom.

Sorta like this season for the Red Wings.

Posted by dougie on 03/10/13 at 10:21 AM ET

gowings's avatar

I’m losing faith here. I admit that although I have been a “support” of the coach compared to others, I still DESPISE the second line. And although a lot can be blame on the coach in “getting his team prepared” some accountability must also go to the players. I won’t talk about Franzen because I admit…I just cannot stand him…but leadership also comes from the captain. The best players always find a way to make it work (or elevate their game). Unlike Pavel, he has more decent line mates (well, at least Brunner) and it is also his responsibility to motivate his troops. Not saying he’s doing nothing, but the whole team looked…pathetic. If we lose but gave it 100%  I can take it (even against the BJ) but this in my book is unacceptable. The coach might speak in the third person “Was that the coach never got any messages across?” but then the captain and the players should also be asking if they are trying their best?We know they can, so we cannot blame it solely on bad players, but some should really look themselves in the mirror. And if some are sick and tired of Babs repeating the same things (yes me included) well I am also tired of hearing players say “give credit to Columbus they played hard” (or just stop giving credit to the other team and put more emphasis on you).

Ok, I am just frustrated here…and I am blaming EVERYONE on the team, not just the coaching staff. Maybe after one or two..three coffee I will see clearer. I sure hope so, because this “story” is not going to end well

Posted by gowings from MTL on 03/10/13 at 10:25 AM ET

gowings's avatar

Posted by dougie on 03/10/13 at 10:21 AM ET

Don’t know if this will make you feel better or at the very least make you laugh…but here in Quebec…all of our roads look like sinkholes….

Hope you have insurance….that really sucks

Posted by gowings from MTL on 03/10/13 at 10:27 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Babcock said. “Why was that? Was that mental prep? Was that the coach never got any messages across? Lack of preparation? Did we practice too long yesterday? I don’t know any of the answers to those things…

Isn’t he getting paid to know “the answers to those things”?????

Jeebus.

Sorry Dougie, about your sinkhole.  That really does suck.  Better have your house checked out.

Thanks Okie, as always.

Don’t know if I’ll be in the LB today.  I’m tending to a little squirrel that was hit by a car just in front of my house this morning. He seems to have a head injury. I’ve left messages with the local wildlife rehabilitators, but nobody is calling me back.

In any event, the Wings better get two points today because then it’s an ugly stretch of road games.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/10/13 at 10:38 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Hope you have insurance….that really sucks

It’s 75 feet from my house, so no big deal. I have already contacted my associate, Mr.
Hernandez, who will show up tomorrow with a couple of hardworking men, a Bobcat and a dump truck load of fill dirt.

Just thinking, with a hole this big, you could bury a Mule in it.

Posted by dougie on 03/10/13 at 10:44 AM ET

gowings's avatar

“Just thinking, with a hole this big, you could bury a Mule in it.”

Quote of the day…love it!

Posted by gowings from MTL on 03/10/13 at 10:49 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Better be careful….these days you’ll get cited for tending to wildlife without a permit.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/10/13 at 10:54 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

I didn’t get to see any of the game as I was stuck at the base for the last day of our inspection.  From reading through the LB here and over at WIM though I see I didn’t miss anything other than the lackadaisical Red Wings team we’ve all grown to loathe over the past couple years.

Forgive my reach here…but I don’t think it’s just this year’s team.  I’ve seen it happen in the military too, where a culture of “I don’t give a shit right now” tends to perpetuate itself and before long you’re sending nukes across the country on accident.  Yeah I was intimately involved in that…but my unit was the only one to come out of it “administratively” unscathed.

I’ve seen it in the Wings for the past several years where some days they’re the amazing puck posession monster we’ve all known and loved…and then the next night they’re getting shut out by the BJ’s 3 to zip and looking like a squirt team could have taken them out behind the woodshed.

I do believe Babcock has a large part to do with this.  He needs to quit with treating the vets like divas and call them out if they need it.  I love that he’s sat White but wish he would have been a little more open about why.  Maybe it’s time for Mule to get a view of a game from the pressbox.  As for the Wing’s management, maybe it’s time for something to leak into the press about Bab’s maybe being on the heatseat for a change to knock him off his self-constructed pedestal.

Sure the wings may want to call this a “rebuilding” year or whatever the hell the phrase of the day is..but when you get PAID to a freaking JOB you should PERFORM like maybe your job DEPENDS on it.

Okay I’m done ranting….now where the hell did I leave my coffee…

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/10/13 at 11:02 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

thanks, Okie.

“For whatever reason, the Wings are a totally different team playing on the Mean Streets of DET.  The BJ’s own the worst road-record in the league.  Time for a little pay-back, eh?”

indeed.

L.G.R.W.

Just thinking, with a hole this big, you could bury a Mule in it.

Posted by dougie on 03/10/13 at 10:44 AM ET

a mule in a hole?
i was thinking the same thing.
then it would be an ...

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/10/13 at 11:13 AM ET

gowings's avatar

You and dougie are on fire today! Might be depressing to read about the Wings right now, but reading you guys makes it all better….well…almost….a big win for the Wings would help but I’m a realist….smile

Posted by gowings from MTL on 03/10/13 at 11:22 AM ET

dougie's avatar

I’m good with *#$%@&, instead of Mule.

Posted by dougie on 03/10/13 at 11:37 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Glad the Emperors filters caught that, because what I said could be taken entirely out of context, and not in a good way.

Posted by dougie on 03/10/13 at 11:38 AM ET

calquake's avatar

It’s a great day for a hockey game… let’s hope the Wings show up to play one.

Posted by calquake on 03/10/13 at 11:38 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Tonight’s game: Miracle or Groundhog Day?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/10/13 at 12:08 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 03/10/13 at 12:08 PM ET

Thank you for the thank you.  And no I’m not going to the Ducks games.  Circumstances beyond my control are preventing me from doing so.  Glad you’re enjoying the Seger.

Posted by calquake on 03/10/13 at 12:17 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I was at Nationwide yesterday….. nuff said.

The Jackets fans don’t know the difference between their team playing a good game and the Wings playing a bad game (which is what usually happens when they come to Columbus).  It’s bad enough going to a game and watching your team sandbag it without having to watch it with 20,000 people who get sexual pleasure from beating your team.  The Jackets have been around for ten years but from the looks of their fans you’d think they’d been watching Pro Beach Hockey for two or three weeks.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/10/13 at 12:44 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

OK, on a side note ...

being born, raised and having lived in northern Michigan (Fairview, 45 miles east of Grayling) for over 35 years prior to moving approx. due west to Wisconsin (Mosinee, 10 miles south of Wausau) about 15 years ago, I’m use to long winters and lots of snow.

I’ve shared these pics here within the last few weeks; we’ve had 50-plus inches of snow so far;

exhibit A - 02/16/13:

exhibit B - 02/23/13:

Now, THIS for tonight???

from the National Weather Service for Mosinee, WI:

Tonight - Snow, possibly mixed with rain and sleet, becoming all snow after 7pm. Low around 26. Northeast wind 13 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow and sleet accumulation of around 7 inches.

Monday - Snow, mainly before 1pm. High near 30. North wind 14 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of around 2 inches.

... and from the Green Bay NWS link, *Winter Storm Expected Tonight and Monday*

//sigh//

” ... Miracle or Groundhog Day? “
Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal,

indeed.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/10/13 at 12:59 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 03/10/13 at 10:54 AM ET

Well, geez, I wasn’t going to just leave the poor thing in the street to get run over or attacked by vultures!  I just put it in a box and wrapped a towel around it and called all the wildlife rehabilitators I could find in our area.  Finally found one who lives about 20 minutes from me. I took the little squirrel over to her and I’m going to call her later to see how she/he is doing.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/10/13 at 01:24 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Don’t know what to say to you except you have my sincere sympathy.  I didn’t move to Florida to get away from winter, but it is one of the benefits of living here.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/10/13 at 01:25 PM ET

Thanks, Jeff.  Raising a Bailey’s and coffee to the GDT this morning.  Good to see it.

Yea Mike, I thought your team was bad too, embarassingly so (I blame Jacskon Browne). And let’s beat a dead horse some more; 0-36 road PP (and 0-13 overall in past 6 tilts).  Hell’s bells, you can pot at least one by accident.

Outstanding.  Really needed that.

Referees:
Dan O’Rourke-9
Kevin Pollock-33

Linesmen:
Vaughan Rody-73
David Brisebois-96

FFS, O’Rourke and Pollock.  Double the trouble=double the Bailey’s.  Damn…

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 03/10/13 at 01:26 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Sorry to hear of your COLD and SNOWY CONDITIONS, it’s a beautiful Sunny 55 here mid way to Florida, so I can relate a bit with Ms. RedWinger

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/10/13 at 01:25 PM ET

and next weekend it is predicted we will be in high 70’s.

Opps sorry, I don’t mean to rub it in, just stating the facts.

Hoping the Wings have a better game today, yesterday was just depressing.

Lets Go Red WINGS!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 03/10/13 at 02:02 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

I discovered a 5 foot wide sinkhole

Posted by dougie on 03/10/13 at 10:21 AM ET

Step away from the Sinkhole, it’s ok, Wings will do better today.  That’s it, relax in your easy chair, beverage in hand.  It’s going to be a good day!

L.G.R.W.

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 03/10/13 at 02:10 PM ET

calquake's avatar
Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFanon 03/10/13 at 12:59 PM ET

Ah, northern Michigan winters… good times.  And the worst part of those pictures was when the snow plow came by and pushed another two feet worth in your driveway… just after you finished 2 hours of shoveling.

Posted by calquake on 03/10/13 at 02:34 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Okay, I drank way too much Double IPA, Kona Brown, IPA and Black Lager at Perrin Brewing due to having to witness this terrible excuse for an effort yesterday. Me thinks this is the only reason God invented good beer. Oh, and FECK the Mule! Give me ten minutes with the punk and I’ll straighten his arse out cool smile

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/10/13 at 03:13 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/10/13 at 12:44 PM ET

I’d nominate you for game-wrecker status - - but there’s no way you could have overcome the suckage from DET yesterday.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/10/13 at 03:31 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Dirty White Boy in for Lashoff today.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/10/13 at 03:32 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I’ll be watching Babcock today. He needs to get it going. That is what he is paid to do. Hell, he has authored a motavational tome, Leave No Doubt. Maybe he needs to practice what he preaches. Take a couple pages from his own book. Change the fuching plan cause Wasteful and Stupid have all but ruined my Happiness.

Thanks OKie.

Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/10/13 at 03:39 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

dont want a tie, dont want ot, dont want shootout. lets get 2 in regulation. No excuses. These home games mean the most, so lets get the most out of them. The road beckons…...

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/10/13 at 03:42 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Posted by Vladimir16 on 03/10/13 at 03:13 PM ET

I’ll bring the betamax video recorder vladdy. smile

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/10/13 at 03:44 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Not that this has anything to do with today’s upcoming debacle, but hats off to behind the net in G.R. for showing my wife and I around Van Andel Arena on Friday, and letting us partake in some VIP treatment.  Thanks again for the hospitality, it was much appreciated.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/10/13 at 03:48 PM ET

marcotte's avatar

Could always be worse… you could be me and live a few hundred miles north, Houghton MI. I’d love to have “little” banks like yours. =) Lake effect snow, it’s a mother fucher.

Posted by marcotte from Hancock, MI on 03/10/13 at 03:49 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Looking for a “D” man on 03/10/13 at 03:31 PM ET

I left at the end of the second and went across the street.  The Red Wings social media guy was doing Wing’s trivia and I killed it.  It was a much better way to spend that shit show of a game.

That said, I left… the Wings had their chance in the third lol.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/10/13 at 03:54 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

Posted by Hootinani from Just outside Delta College Admissions Office on 03/10/13 at 03:48 PM ET

It was nice meeting you and your trophy wife. We enjoyed the night as well. Anybody else who might be coming to G.R. just let me know and we can take care of you to. Griffins won 2-1 also.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 03/10/13 at 04:05 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Are we going to see the Sunday world beaters ? Or the we play to our opponents abilities? Maybe it’s something in the water at home vs the road. I don’t know but someone who gets paid alot more than me better figure it the hell out. Quickly.

No more BJ games for you Bez. .

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 03/10/13 at 04:17 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

No more BJ games for you Bez. .

Don’t worry….

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/10/13 at 04:29 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

The boat is slowly sinking and passengers are starting to look for life rafts. Of course there won’t be enough for everybody….to jump on one while you can or sink? Hmmm….

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/10/13 at 08:58 PM ET