Abel to Yzerman

GDT - Game 22: Red Wings (9-8-3) at Sharks (9-6-3) 10:30

I did not see the game last night, only glanced at the box score - a face-off violation?  Wings remain 0-fer on the road PP; and give up the 5-3 against.

The loss drops DET to 10th in the West.  Capt. Obvious says they have to start winning some of the road games, tonight would be a good time to begin.

SEASON RECORD:

DET:  19 GP,  9-8-3,  21 pts, (10 in Conf, 4 in Central), 58 GF, 56 GA, Last 10 4-4-2  LOST 1

SJS:  18 GP,  9-6-3,  21 pts, (8 in Conf, 4 in Pacific),  44 GF, 41 GA, Last 2-6-1  WON 1

DET ROAD:  2-4-2 (24)

SJS HOME:  6-1-2  (5)

TEAM STATISTICS:

DET:  0.525 point% (18), 2.85 G/G (9), 2.80 GA/G (17), 1.27 5-5 F/A (6), 15.9 PP% (20), 77.1 PK% (23), 29.2 S/G (14), 28.6 SA/G (15), 53.2 FO% (3)

SJS:  0.583 point% (11), 2.28 G/G (25), 2.17 GA/G (5), 1.04 5-5 F/A (13), 16.7 PP% (18), 86.1 PK% (5), 30.3 S/G (7), 29.1 SA/G (18), 52.6 FO% (6)

Goal Differential/Game:

Wally - Time out

SJS:

Burns, Brent Lower body injury injured reserve
Clowe, Ryane Suspended by NHL
Wingels, Tommy Undisclosed day-to-day

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I think Uncle Mike should have our 5 on 3 PK unit on the ice as our starters.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 02/28/13 at 09:08 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

To be far, the refs really screwed us late game, last night… 1 shoulder to the head of Cleary, 1 tripping on Franzen, and 1 blind side hit to the head (shoulders/back?) that Smith did quite embelish, trying to get something out of the refs… All of it on the 3rd period, and yet, none of it was called

But I dont think we can really complain, we have been getting a few horrible calls favoring us, lately, and we did deserve both 5x3s we got

Posted by Zqto on 02/28/13 at 10:03 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

A hit that smith embellished?  I hate this kinda comment.  He embellished an illegal, blindside hit to the head 30’ from the puck?  It’s like saying Franzen imbelished the hit to the head from Gary Roberts.  I don’t think it counts as imbelishing when we are talking about dirty, illegal, indefensible hits that should not happen.  Furthermore, Smith left the ice immediately and (presumably) was sent to the quiet room.  He was legitimately shaken up.  I don’t think, given that, it was imbelished at all.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 02/28/13 at 10:13 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Last night was last night, toss it in the crapper and look to tonight.
2 points please.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 02/28/13 at 10:18 AM ET

Penner on Smith was definitely a penalty, but to call the hit on Cleary dirty is BS.  At full speed it looked bad but in the replays it clearly wasn’t dirty at all.  Unlees shoulder-to-shoulder hits are now illegal.

Hopefully tonight Datsyuk will see fit not to cause any 5-on-3 PKs, or at least maybe limit it to one.

Posted by Garth on 02/28/13 at 10:19 AM ET

dougie's avatar

I hardly ever complain about the refs, because I think that, generally, it is just a loser excuse.

That said, I saw the third period last night, and watched several questionable, and likely illegal hits by the Ducks that were just plain ignored by officials. The effort was there from our boys.

The winning goal was scored because E52 fell down while battling for a puck along the side board. That left Kopitar wide ass open in front of Jimmah, with a puck on his stick. Game over. Sh*t happens.

Next.

Posted by dougie on 02/28/13 at 10:22 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Next.

Posted by dougie on 02/28/13 at 09:22 AM ET

Kopitar was so wide open because he hit one Wing from behind into another. You are right Dougie . With Kopitar’s puck handling skills, that was more or less a slam dunk for him with no fault of Jimmah"s there.

This team can either have a pitty party , or get over it very quickly and get to the next game tonite with some will and determination.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 02/28/13 at 10:39 AM ET

Bent's avatar

Posted by Zqto on 02/28/13 at 09:03 AM ET

I agree with you about the 5 on 3’s except that the new face off rule is the stupidest rule in several years.  Seems strange that this was the biggest issue the NHL seemed they needed to change.  Regardless, it has been consistently called this year, but I always think it is fuching stupid.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 02/28/13 at 10:51 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Didn’t watch the game last night, heard the recap on the radio this morning. They guy who gives the sports is a real Eyore, always negative on Detroit’s sports teams. That being said, he was angry this morning. He said the Wings were royally screwed by the officiating. From reading the comments here and on last night’s LB, it seems he was spot on

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/28/13 at 11:04 AM ET

Kopitar was so wide open because he hit one Wing from behind into another.

Yeah, sure.

Posted by Garth on 02/28/13 at 11:04 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Way Garth . Way

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 02/28/13 at 11:08 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I didn’t see the game—cable was out: Was Mule any good?

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/28/13 at 11:10 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I didn’t see the game—cable was out: Was Mule any good?

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/28/13 at 10:10 AM ET

Nope.  Can tell he hasn’t played in a while.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 02/28/13 at 11:22 AM ET

Way Garth . Way

Good one.

There are a lot of things you can complain about in regards to the refs last night, but not penalizing Kopitar for gently nudging Emmerton is not one of them.

Posted by Garth on 02/28/13 at 11:29 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I actually thought Datsyuk moved the puck back with the shaft of his stick along the ice, not the glove. Regardless, we still lost. Yesterday’s gone.  Today is a new day. To win.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/28/13 at 11:32 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

thanks, Okie.

um, waiter? ...

... 2, please.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 02/28/13 at 11:38 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Thanks OKie.

Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/28/13 at 11:42 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

Just gotta suck it up and get mean again tonight. For most part of the game, puck support was pretty damned good. If it werent for the fluke goal of ours, we never scored last night…..just something to think about. The PK was very good and if they can keep that kind of effort up things might turn around. Still in the hunt, but needing a solid 2 points tonight. Then time to piss on Sheecago’s parade.

GAME ON!

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 02/28/13 at 11:42 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, Okie - and everyone else.  I didn’t see the game last night and have been distracted by some “real life” issues for a few days, so I appreciate all your comments.

Hope the Wings recover tonight.  I probably won’t be up for the LB.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/28/13 at 12:00 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

I know it was a “nudge” Garth, but ususally when players do those things and it becomes a bonified scoring opportunity , refs usually interpet that and will call for a penalty. I know we are beating a dead horse over this and need to concentrate on the Sharts. Unafortunatly, will probably have douchebag west announcers again. How about same refs? It has happened before.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 02/28/13 at 12:21 PM ET

Yeah, right.  There was barely any contact at all.  A stiff wind would’ve knocked Emmerton over harder.

Posted by Garth on 02/28/13 at 12:45 PM ET

Thanks, Jeff.  Raising a mug of Java to your GDT.

Took a six bottles of Guinness to get over last night’s joke of a game.  Doesn’t matter now.  The Chum are minus Ryan Clowe (right?), but that doesn’t make them any less dangerous.

Referees:
20 - Tim Peel
26 - Rob Martell

Linesmen:
89 - Steve Miller
94 - Bryan Pancich

Damn.  It’s Peel.  If there’s any ref with an unhealthy hard-on for the Sharks, it’s him.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/28/13 at 12:50 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I was sitting in row 13 behind the right face off circle where Dats was called for the penalty. It was as absurd as the call on the Preds Paul Gaustad a couple weeks ago.

Here is the revised rule:

Both players facing-off are prohibited from batting the puck with their hand in an attempt to win the face-off. Any attempt by either center to win the face-off by batting the puck with their hand shall result in a minor penalty. This penalty shall be announced as a “Minor Penalty for Delay of Game - Face-off Violation.” Once the face-off is deemed complete (and winner of the face-off is clear), hand passes shall be enforced as per Rule 79.

I think the intent of the rule is good. As I understood it, the league wanted to ban the tactic of centers assuming a rugby scrum-like position and making a hand pass to a team mate. That makes perfect sense to me.

That is not what happened last night. Pav’s hands never left his stick. It looked to me like he was trying to sweep it back with the shaft of his stick.

It should not be a penalty if the player is holding on to his stick when contact with his glove occurs.

From my vantage point, the no call on Cleary getting boarded was no different from the boarding call they made on Abby. Abby and the King player both got their elbows up and smashed a head into the glass. One was called, one was not. It’s that kind of inconsistency that drive players and fans crazy.

There was another no-call between center ice and the LA blue line in the third by a King that was absolutely a check from behind on a Wing (Smith?) that did not have the puck. The no call on that one shocked me because it was so blatant (puck was no where near him and from behind, WTF?).

That said, Bernier stood on his head. It was the Wings failure to capitalize on their chances that cost them the game. Still waaaayyyyyy to many occurences where the Wings got too fancy or tried to make the extra pass; I’m looking at you Tots, Mule and Z.

I feel bad in saying this but Buckets is washed up. I love the guy’s work ethic and hockey smarts, but he hasn’t just lost a step, he couldn’t catch a turtle.

The forecheck was impressive last night. Even the Kings’ fans sitting around me noticed it. I know I’m going to choke as I write this, but E52 played a solid game..

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/28/13 at 01:47 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 02/28/13 at 12:47 PM ET -

You need to stop going to the games - wrecker.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/28/13 at 02:42 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

You need to stop going to the games - wrecker.

He even called himself out on it too.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 02/28/13 at 02:54 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

For once, I don’t have much to say today.

Just. *#$%@&. Win.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 02/28/13 at 03:06 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Thanks Okie!

I know I’m going to choke as I write this, but E52 played a solid game..

BLASPHEMY!  You will burn in hell…or Cleveland, never sure on that one.

No one saw the game last night. Move along. Nothing to discuss.

Oh and, Bonjour.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 02/28/13 at 03:15 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Well, that game needs to be behind us.  Overall, I was pleased with the Wings effort - we got jobbed by the refs in the third period.  Just hope we play strong tonight and take it to the Sharks.

What time should I plan my late afternoon latte for - I have parent/teacher conferences to go to so am grateful for the later start.

LGRW!!!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 02/28/13 at 03:17 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Khan Tweets:

Very limited morning skate at HP Pavilion. Jonas Gustavsson, who’ll make his first start as a Wing, is on the ice along with 3, 18, 28

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/28/13 at 03:39 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

So Gustavsoregroin is starting? We’ll see.

Oh, and bonjour!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/28/13 at 03:49 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

You need to stop going to the games - wrecker.
He even called himself out on it too.
Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 02/28/13 at 01:54 PM ET

I’m pretty sure that is my last game for quite a while if the realigment goes through and the Wings only make one west coast roadie every other season.

But yeah, I’m a game wrecker.

Last night I saw the fewest Red Wing jerseys at a Kings game in the 23 years I’ve lived in SoCal. But then LA is notorious for being a frontrunner kind of town. Only the Lakers are able to draw well when they are losing

P.S. So that I am also not considered a hypocrite, the tickets were free courtesy of my insurance agent. So I still have not dropped a dime into the coffers of NHL, Inc. this season.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/28/13 at 04:00 PM ET