Abel to Yzerman

GDT - Game 2:  Red Wings (0-1) at Blue Jackets (1-0)  7:30

There is bad, really bad, and awful, and then there is whole other description to describe the Wings game at St. Louis - - I just haven't come up with it yet; craptastic?  Said Babcock:  "I mean, we were no good.”

It is one thing to be out-talented, it is something else all together different to be so totally manhandled. "We just got outworked in every aspect of the game," said goalie Jimmy Howard.  Added Kronwall:  "A lot of things were really bad. It doesn't really matter what you do structurally if you're not there."

We've been watching the Wings here for many years, and that was one of the worst efforts I've seen since before that time.  It was so bad - it was nearly comical.  DET was thoroughly punked.

It probably isn't time to hit the panic button yet - not many had sky-high expectations for this season; and quite a few were downright Eeyorish (myself included).  But lord have mercy, at least freaking show-up and play.  Because that disaster at STL was shameful.  Red Wing fans specifically, and Detroit fans in general, are loyal, in large part because we've seen bad (and if your older like me, you've seen a whole lot of bad teams).  But no matter how bad the team, we've seen the effort.  We been knocked down plenty, but we get up, and keep getting up.

Tonight the Wings had better stand up.

REGULAR SEASON RECORD:

DET:  1 GP,  0-1-0,  0 pts, (14 in Conf, 5 in Central), 0 GF, 6 GA, Last 10 0-1-0, LOST 1

CBJ:  1 GP,  1-0-0,  2 pts, (6 in Conf, 3 in Central),  3 GF, 2 GA, Last 10 1-0-0,  WON 1

DET road:  0-1-0
CBJ home:  0-0-0

REGULAR SEASON STATS (rank):

DET:  .000 point% (19), 0.00 G/G (30), 6.00 GA/G (30),  0.00 5-5 F/A (30), 0.00 PP% (30), 20.0 PK% (29), 14.0 S/G (30), 36.0 SA/G (27), 53.6 FO% (10).

CBJ:  1.00 point% (tied-4), 2.00 G/G (15), 2.00 GA/G (9), 1.00 5-5 F/A (13), 50.0 PP% (5), 0.00 PK% (30), 28.0 S/G (16), 34.0 SA/G (22), 46.4 FO% (23).

Goal Differential/Game:

R Cam Atkinson 1 0 0 0 0  17:54
D John Moore 1 0 0 0 0 15:43
C Ryan Johansen 1 0 0 0 0 16:04

CBJ Goalies:
Player GPI W L OT GAA PCT

Sergei Bobrovsky 1,  0-0-1,  2.00,  0.941

TSN - HOT and NOT:  NOT AVAILABLE?

Injury Report:
DET:

Todd Bertuzzi RW day-to-day Mononucleosis Jan 19, 2013
Darren Helm C IR Strained back Jan 18, 2013
Joey MacDonald G IR Back Jan 18, 2013

CBJ:

No current injuries for the Columbus Blue Jackets

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Khan(!) from Sunday practice:

On Sunday, defenseman Jonathan Ericsson stepped on the puck, hit the boards hard and hurt his right shoulder during practice at Nationwide Arena. He said he is questionable for Monday's game in Columbus. . .

Right wing Jan Mursak will be out for several weeks due to a collar bone injury . .

Patrick Eaves will replace Mursak.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, Okie!

I’ve always bristled when people say the Red Wings are “too old.”  But maybe some of the Red Wings are just too “fat and happy” because of too many years of success.

Nobody deserves anything.  Gotta work for it.  Stop talking about what you are not doing and DO IT!

I, for one, would like to see more of our young (read: hungry) players, who are now stuck in GR, in the Red Wings lineup.  There are plenty of youngsters playing, and thriving, in the NHL.

But know what?  Even if the Red Wings continue to suck, they are our Red Wings and I will stick with them.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/21/13 at 10:04 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

It was horrible.  I’m still affected.  There will be a Clubber Lang reference in tonight’s LB.  Why was Eaves not playing? Why not Kabooble? Why? Why? Neither would have made a difference.  Nice trade deadline Kenny.  Kudos.

I’ll be on the golf course all day. I will not be sober for the BJ.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 01/21/13 at 10:20 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Thanks for the GDT!

Chief, have a few drinks for me, will ya?  I’m stuck in the office all day.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 01/21/13 at 10:51 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Thanks, Okie.

Anyone got a rabbit’s foot to rub?

Heres to a better showing tonight (it can’t get much worse ... ) *clink*

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/21/13 at 10:52 AM ET

gowings's avatar

it can’t get much worse ..

Please don’t say that. Murphy’s law “Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse” in this case we might get worse to catastrophic?

Detroit is more than lucky to have incredible fans like us. My dad and I went to the MTL game the other day, and it took only one period before the fans started booing (they lost 2-1). My dad was right…he looked at the board showing the hockey scores of other games…we were down 4-0…..he said “thank god your team is not home and don’t have these fans”. He’s right…I wonder how the wings would feel if they got booed every game (which was almost the case last year for the Canadians)....I saw the highlights when I came home (well, if you want to call this highlights). I also lived through the “dead wings era”. That being said, I do not know if others would agree with me, but even then we showed more effort. We sucked all right, but the “intensity” on the ice was nevertheless better. Maybe I am getting old and I don’t remember things as well, but if this continues, it will be worse than the “dead things”. There is a difference between being last and to “suck” at everything but you try….VS you don’t try.

It’s a collective failure. I hope it will be better tonight, but I do not have the stomach to watch…

Posted by gowings from MTL on 01/21/13 at 11:27 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

but even then we showed more effort.

Yes, yes we did. I started going to games at the Olympia back in 1969. That is when most of us from the Cosmic Dust generation got our licenses and first cars.
As bad as they sucked, they still showed more effort and pride than the garbage that I saw the other night. And, I have seen the Wings at their very worst. The other night set a new low.

This problem starts at the top(KH), and, has worked it’s way to behind the bench(Babcock). Although, I feel Babcock lost the players aboot three seasons ago, give or take.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/21/13 at 11:56 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

I said it at WIM and I’ll say it here:

Yeah that was a pretty grotesque effort and I’m SURE the team has learned from it so tonight they’ll come out full of piss and vinegar ready to kick some ass.

Right?

Please?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/21/13 at 12:10 PM ET

jimp19's avatar

Holland has sat on his hands for too long and it’s caught up to him. They should allow one of the Grand Rapids players to get ice time over worthless Tootoo…

Posted by jimp19 from Nashville on 01/21/13 at 12:12 PM ET

gowings's avatar

I was reading the comments by Babcock this morning. I know a lot of people want to get rid of him, but let’s remember that it is also up to each player and the captain to motivate his troops. He used the “teacher” example. Well, if all the class got 50% but did not study how can that be the fault of the prof! We all were students and there are times when we don’t pay attention. On top of that, they get well compensated ($$$) for playing the way they do. Babs plays with the cards he is dealt. He’s not perfect, but the man HAS a great work ethic and I believe it is the players that refuse to listen…which in that case makes them selfish individuals that only care about comfort and money…

Also, I see a lot of “all talk to action” from the coach. What the hell can he do? He can’t be super upset (a la torterella) after the first game…as much as I want him to put Quincy on the bench, that will hardly motivate the man (and if Holland says no…well there you go). You can also bring other kids up…but again, do you want to show signs of panic now (even if I am)?

I am not saying I will always defend the coach….the players have the right to despise him, but they should stomach it and play anyway. I do hate my boss at work…wish she would be gone….but I still give my 100% regardless (even if she is incompetent….and I do not think the coach is incompetent)

Posted by gowings from MTL on 01/21/13 at 12:22 PM ET

whateverman's avatar

So I was all… “Meh, big deal if the Wings suck it up and end up with a high draft pick.”

Then I remembered the Quincey trade.. 8\

Posted by whateverman on 01/21/13 at 12:40 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The Wings still have their 1st-round pick for the upcoming draft. We lost #19 overall to Tampa Bay last year with the Quincey trade.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/21/13 at 12:48 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Lines at the morning skate, via Bill Roose’s Twitter:

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Brunner
Franzen-Filppula-Samuelsson
Eaves-Gator-Cleary
Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo

Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-Smith
White-Fredo

McCollum backing up Jimmah

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/21/13 at 12:48 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 01/21/13 at 11:10 AM ET

That does not live up to ginger expectations I have.  Just as well, I am flacid after the fiasco in game 1.

I have a slightly different, more pessimistic slant.  We are physically and from a talent perspective unable to compete with teams like St Louis.  If you are 5-10 180 you can give all the effort you want but the guy 6-3 220 is going to knock you on your ass every time, if he is of equal skill.

Z, Dats, and BrunnerFabioLeinoStrum had a very good opening 45 seconds to the season, keeping the puck in the Blues zone the entire time.  The next 59:15 were brutal.

The Blues returned almost completely in tact, and with the taste of vinegar in their mouth from a disappointing early elimination.  The Wings were still introducing themselves to each other between the first and second periods.  The Blues picked right up where they left off with the cohesive Hitchcock team defense.

Even last year it was tough to connect passes against St Louis after Hitchcock got settled in, now this year our roster is in turmoil and players are dropping like flies left and right, even for tonight there will be at least 2 different players than started last game.

And on top of all that, they aren’t the talent level we are accustomed to.  You can make up for that by playing a cohesive team defense, but you have to play together for quite a while to get there.

And you have to pull your head out of your ass.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/21/13 at 12:55 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I will not be sober for the BJ.

That’s pretty much how my day-planner reads.

Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 12:58 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/21/13 at 11:48 AM ET

Holy Shizzle, Jeff, does anyone see a lot of goals from that line up?  Start with the second line on down, Franzen + Samuelsson?  JFC!

Eaves Gator Cleary ?  Serviceable role players, but are they going to generate goals, and that’s our third line?

I think I typed in the first LB, or meant to, can Datsyuk and Zetterberg play 28 minutes a game?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/21/13 at 12:59 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I will not be sober for the BJ.

Hey, that’s what my old girlfriend used to say. smile

Like many of you, I held out hope that the “new” Wings team would somehow (magically) be a quality team – in spite of the fact that too many of the players are not “quality” guys. So much for hope.

Looking at Sammy, Toots, Emmerton, Mursak, Cleary, Colio, Ericsson, Quincey, et al, this may be the worst Wings team in a decade. On Saturday, they looked like the worst team in a century.

Shame on Tick Tock for failing the team and the fans.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/21/13 at 01:11 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

with apolgies to Dr. Suess

“Stink, Stank, Stunk.”

Posted by Rdwings28 on 01/21/13 at 01:21 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

On Saturday, they looked like the worst team in a century.
Shame on Tick Tock for failing the team and the fans.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/21/13 at 12:11 PM ET

They’re certainly the worst Wings team this century.  I’m trying to convince myself to give it a couple of weeks, but even by 20 games in this shortened season if your head isn’t above water you’re not going to be able to swim up for air.

The Wings roster is in turmoil compared to the Blues, and talent level aside they didn’t look like they knew how to play together.  There is little time to learn this season.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/21/13 at 01:30 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

So I’ve been pretty quiet for the last several months.  Still bitter about this whole lockout bullshit. but whatever.  I didn’t watch the full game on Saturday, only about half, if that, and it was mostly broken up.  Much like the Wings effort and execution.  I realize that they are still getting used to some of the new guys and that the Blues had a mostly familiar team that is quite frankly (deep breath… this is gonna hurt) a lot better than the Wings right now.  (damn it that did hurt).  Taking all of that into account:  are you freaking kidding me?  The lack of “give a shit” was absolutely deflating.  I’m glad they got spanked, because they damn well deserved it.  I really think some serious things need to change around Detroit before they are considered even good again.  You don’t put up that type of effort against a divisional opponent on the opening night in a season that ends in any type of success.  You just don’t.  I see no way that they Wings make the playoffs this year.  Way too much malaise in the last couple of years.  And unfortunately, that shit is more contagious than Todd Bertuzzi’s mono.

Oh yeah, whatup bitches?

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 01/21/13 at 01:36 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Thanks Okie!

I will not be sober for the BJ.

Boy, if I had a nickel…..

Who knew that a grueling 6 day pre-season would create such chaos? Chalk it up to jet lag and suck it up Sally. Seriously, there is no where to go but up.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 01/21/13 at 01:50 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

As I posted on another board, I think this year* is a throw-away for the Wings. Barring a rash of injuries (or just a rash), leave Nyquist and Tatar down in Grand Rapids to tear up the AHL and take the Griffins deep into the playoffs; let the guys who have a few miles on their tires take the nails, screws, and potholes.

Next year is a whole new bag of dicks.

However, Babcock needs to get Dangles and Zetterman on different lines, ASAP; right now the Wings have a 1st line, and 3rd line, and two 4th lines.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/21/13 at 02:21 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Thanks OAkie. Sorry I missed that in my first comment.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/21/13 at 03:22 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

What channel do I find this game on?

It’s not listed on Center Ice.  One of the many NBC channels?

;$&&&@;%###%****¥€^%###€£££¥£%%###***#% !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/21/13 at 03:32 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/21/13 at 02:32 PM ET

Vs., NBCSports, OLN

Whatever it’s called now.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/21/13 at 03:33 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

” NBCSP ” has ” to be announced ” for that time period.  Maybe thats it.

Cheer up nerds, it’s possible that after tonight we can look back and say “that really was just one of those games.”  Hahaha i know.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/21/13 at 03:35 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Whatever it’s called now.

Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 01/21/13 at 02:33 PM ET

Thanks, I may have found it.  With any luck that’s not it!

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/21/13 at 03:37 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Coach Mike Babcock said defenseman Jonathan Ericsson (shoulder) will be a game-time decision. If Ericsson can’t play, Brian Lashoff will make his NHL debut.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/21/13 at 03:37 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I look at this year as being a decision between retooling or rebuilding for the future.  If the Wings suck people like Cleary, Bertuzzi, and Sammy should be jettisoned for the likes of Nyquil, Sauce (Tatar) and others.  I have been patient waiting for Emmerton or Mursak to show that they belong but I’m just not seeing it.  And if the Wings get to the playoffs and go beyond the first round we probably see less changes.

I’d also like to point out that any team that loses 3 of 4 top D-men (Lidstrom, Stuart and Rafalski) in a two year span will see a big dropoff.  This isn’t all that surprising to me.  Doesn’t mean I like it though.

Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 04:16 PM ET

My hope is that this season is used as a way for the org to decide who their two compliance buyouts are.  Those hopes of course will be dashed though, when Ken Holland makes the surprised announcement that “I like our team” and doesn’t buy anyone out while also re-signing Cleary to a three-year deal and then waives Nyquist and Andersson or Tatar because they weren’t able to crack the lineup.

Mursak’s only played 44 games over the course of two seasons and missed nearly half of last year because of a broken ankle.  I’d argue that anyone passing judgement on him at this point hasn’t been all that patient.

Posted by Garth on 01/21/13 at 04:48 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Hmmm, I don’t understand how “I’m just not seeing it” as passing judgement.  I didn’t say to dump him like I did Cleary et all, did I?  He has been injured and is again.  Let’s hope that he can stay healthy.  Also I assume you agree with me regarding Emmerton as you did not defend him.  Impatient?  Perhaps guilty as charged but also not “doom and gloom” as others on here are.

Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 04:59 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/21/13 at 03:48 PM ET

Injury Prone? Hell, he’s gonea half the half season now.

Paging the Red Wings.. Paging the Detroit Red Wings. Game in 3.5 hours. Please show up on time and ready to roll.

Q-Man.. God does he ever suck.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/21/13 at 05:02 PM ET

The problem is that I would think any team losing three of four top d-men would move mountains in order to bring in at least one top d-man to try to fill the void.

Hmmm, I don’t understand how “I’m just not seeing it” as passing judgement.

Well see, you implied that they haven’t shown that they “belong”.  I’d say that’s passing judgement.

Also I assume you agree with me regarding Emmerton as you did not defend him.

You’re absolutely right.  I was speaking specifically about Mursak.  I don’t think Emmerton does belong and I think that a full season (71 games) without any injuries is enough time to make that decision.  Having said that, he’s only in the lineup because Helm is out and I’m hoping we don’t see too much of him this year.  Now, having said that, with Bertuzzi out for a while I’d love to see the AHL’s reigning player of the week centring the fourth line rather than Emmerton.

Posted by Garth on 01/21/13 at 05:24 PM ET

calquake's avatar

If you say so.

You mean like offering up a $98 million dollar contract which, at some point, will bite the Wild in the a$$.  This ain’t fantasy hockey, it takes two willing partners to trade.  It takes an offer being accepted by an FA to bring him into the fold.  Not sure what you know that could have been done but wasn’t tried by the Red Wing braintrust.

Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 05:45 PM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

You mean like offering up a $98 million dollar contract which, at some point, will bIite the Wild in the a$$.

I totally agree with this POV and, living in MN question the credibility of the GM who whines about the club losing money and then turning around and signing two of these obscene contracts.

However, credibility does not necessarily win hockey games.

Go,Wings!  TOnight, okay?

Posted by Colquhoun on 01/21/13 at 06:01 PM ET

Blah, blah, blah.
Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 04:45 PM ET

What I do know is that they went from having an amazing top-four two years ago to having one legit top-four defenseman (and one who may or may not be, now that he’s not partnered with the best defenseman of the past 20 years) and I know that there are people who are making excuses for the GM’s complete inability to replace any of the top four defensemen that they lost.

it takes two willing partners to trade.
It takes an offer being accepted by an FA

So you’re saying that Detroit’s GM is facing the exact same constraints as every other GM in the league?  Funny because a lot of other GMs managed to make signings that were better than an injury-prone middle-of-the-road defenseman who only signed when they made him a a multi-year offer that was a raise over his previous offer even though he has the aforementioned tendency towards injury.

Posted by Garth on 01/21/13 at 06:10 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Blah, blah, blah.
Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 04:45 PM ET

Ha, ha, ha.  Struck a nerve did I?

No, actually worse.  No GM wants to strengthen the Wings unless they (the Wings) give up more than what their(opposing GM) player is worth.

Not saying you’re wrong but could you give specific examples so I know what GM’s and players you are referring to.

Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 06:20 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 04:45 PM ET

I’m not sure either.  But I do know that both Lidstrom and Stu’s departures were known about well in advance.

It’s hard to bang on Holland, because by any reasonable measure he has done a helluva job.

But it is his job to gather talent ; and by any reasonable measure, there just isn’t a whole lot of it on the blueline this year - -  and everyone and their dog saw that problem coming.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/21/13 at 06:20 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

just saw this on FB:

AWESOME NEWS: Todd Bertuzzi does NOT have mono! His original diagnosis was a false positive.

“He can play tomorrow if Mike Babcock wants him to, and he feels he’s able.” - Ken Holland

L.G.R.W,

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/21/13 at 06:39 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Question for The 19,  Should I start drinking now, and if so, should I go straight to the hard stuff and not fill up on beer?  I was thinking something distilled grain that might make me unconscious by 7:30.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/21/13 at 06:40 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/21/13 at 05:20 PM ET

Absolutely true but I don’t know what top 4 D-men were available that Holland didn’t pursue or inquire aboot.  It’s easy to armchair GM but I’m not a GM and don’t pretend to be able run a franchise. Even the greatest GM’s make miss-steps and mistakes.  I’ll still take Holland over anyone else because he has a proven track record.  I’m willing to wager he will someday be inducted into the NHL Hall of Fame.

Posted by calquake on 01/21/13 at 06:47 PM ET