Abel to Yzerman

GDT - Game 14: Red Wings (7-4-2) host Ducks (9-2-1) 7:30

On Wednesday DET saw their season-high three game winning streak slapped down by the cold reality that their special teams play is, both a momentum killer and a game-wrecker.  DET were -2 on special teams, the short-hander and a PP goal against - obviously, DET had no PP goals.

No matter how good DET play at even strength, and they are very good at 1.47 5-5F/A (4), DET's special teams suck the life right out of the game.  STL were being crushed Wednesday until the short-hander.  SOG in the 1st were 11-3, DET; afterwards the shots were 22-7 for STL (yes, 7 SOG for DET in the final 40+ minutes).

The Wings cannot kill a penalty (73.3% (26)), and their PP seldom looks dangerous, let alone pots a goal for the Wings (13.8% (25)).  Momentum killers and game wreckers.

ANA excell at even-strength, 1.71 5-5F/A (2), and their PK is inept as well 69.6% (29).  But their PP actually produces goals for, 23.1% (7).

LGRW

SEASON RECORD:

DET:  13 GP,  7-4-2,  15 pts, (6 in Conf, 3 in Central), 36 GF, 36 GA, Last 10 6-2-2  OT 1

ANA:  12 GP,  9-2-1,  19 pts, (2 in Conf, 1 in Pacific),  42 GF, 33 GA, Last 10 7-2-1  WON 2

DET HOME:  5-2-1

ANA ROAD:  5-1-1

TEAM STATISTICS:

DET:  0.625 point% (11), 2.69 G/G (16), 2.77 GA/G (18), 1.47 5-5 F/A (4), 13.8 PP% (25), 73.3 PK% (26), 29.2 S/G (15), 29.2 SA/G (18), 53.8 FO% (2)

ANA:  0.792 point% (3), 3.25 G/G (3), 2.67 GA/G (17), 1.71 5-5 F/A (2), 23.1 PP% (7), 69.6 PK% (29), 26.2 S/G (28), 27.8 SA/G (9), 48.7 FO% (24)

Goal Differential/Game:

Valtteri Filppula-Pavel Datsyuk-Daniel Cleary

Tomas Tatar-Joakim Andersson-Patrick Eaves

Drew Miller-Cory Emmerton-Jordin Tootoo

Niklas Kronwall-Brian Lashoff

Jonathan Ericsson-Ian White

Kyle Quincey-Jakub Kindl

Jimmy Howard (starting Friday)

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

redxblack's avatar

Small victories. This one won’t be on NBC. No patches, dc or doc. Even if the game’s awful, it will be bearable.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/15/13 at 08:50 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, Okie - you summed it up perfectly!

As it’s NHL Network tonight, and it’s a home game, dare I hope for Ken and Mick?

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/15/13 at 09:34 AM ET

Norskirama's avatar

Dare, Ms Red Winger. Dare!

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 02/15/13 at 10:19 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

dare I hope for Ken and Mick?

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/15/13 at 08:34 AM ET

Yes, MsRedWinger, you should. I am right there with ya.

Thanks OKie.

Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/15/13 at 10:27 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Morning bitches.  A little extra Kaluha in the coffee this morning with the GDT..makes it slightly more bearable.

Not that I’m implying the GDT needs to be better mind you…it’s like writing about a train wreck I suppose.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/15/13 at 10:46 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Wow.  Big E’s sporting a +5 and Kronner’s has a -6.

He’s really struggling trying to do too much I think.  You see him knock himself off his own skates all the time changing direction hustling chasing the play or losing the puck in his skates at the blueline.  I NEVER would’ve guessed Big E would end up shouldering the larger share of Lidstrom’s departure.

Hopefully Lashoff starts taking command of the real-estate in his own zone, well, keeps doing it and with more authority.  I think that’ll help Kronners sit back and play his game, unclutter his plate a bit.  Lashoff had some good battles but needs to start laying some hits as well.  He’s still holding back I think.

Here’s hoping the Wings brought their lunch pales to the Joe tonight.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/15/13 at 10:49 AM ET

dougie's avatar

I feel really good aboot our chances tonight.

But then, I have some muscle relaxers and Jameson.

Posted by dougie on 02/15/13 at 11:21 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

but needs to start laying some hits as well.  He’s still holding back I think.

Was thinking about that through the last couple games, Kronner is really playing a reserved game this year and it’s a little disappointing.  I can’t help but feel if Babs told him to just go out and cream somebody if maybe it wouldn’t help him get the monkey off his back a little and get him to relax.

It might inspire Lashoff as well.  Hell even Andersson you get the feeling could.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/15/13 at 11:23 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Agree, HTO. Franzen is trying to do way too much. Of all Wings, it is he who needs to simplify his game the most. He is feeling the absence of Lids the most.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/15/13 at 11:29 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Ummmm…didn’t mean to say Franzen, I meant Kronner.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/15/13 at 11:32 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Franzen is trying to do way too much

I never imagined reading those words strung together here.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 02/15/13 at 11:48 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Agree about Kronner.  He was probably hearing, way too much, before the season started, how the D was going to suck.  He’s also wearing that “A” this season.
Lashoff is doing fine.  Kronner just needs to be Kronner.

LGRW!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/15/13 at 11:52 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Damn. Another NHL Network game that I can’t watch through the NHL’s subscription service. Hopefully a feed will pop up in the live blog.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/15/13 at 12:06 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Malik just tweeted that NHL Network is NOT going to show the game tonight.  Knew I shouldn’t hope…

downer

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/15/13 at 12:34 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Ummmm…didn’t mean to say Franzen, I meant Kronner.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/15/13 at 10:32 AM ET

Thanks for the clarification, because if you had been serious, I would have considered blocking your future posts;-)

Posted by dougie on 02/15/13 at 12:35 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

On muscle relaxers and Jameson’s at 10 a.m.  Cool.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/15/13 at 12:43 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

It is on Center Ice with the Home and Away broadcssts. Me likey. Me lucky. Me get Micky and Ken.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/15/13 at 12:47 PM ET

dougie's avatar

On muscle relaxers and Jameson’s at 10 a.m.  Cool.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/15/13 at 11:43 AM ET

I “hit a patch of ice”.

Posted by dougie on 02/15/13 at 01:04 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Me get Micky and Ken.

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/15/13 at 11:47 AM ET

Me jealous. But I still can’t bring myself to give any money to the NHL. *sigh*

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/15/13 at 01:19 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Me wants some Jameson too.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/15/13 at 01:20 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’m hoping Jameson and muscle relaxers aren’t in the water bottles at the Red Wings bench this evening.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/15/13 at 02:06 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Me jealous. But I still can’t bring myself to give any money to the NHL. *sigh*

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/15/13 at 12:19 PM ET

It was a tough decision but my better half and I are very active at sitting around, and, hanging out at home. We have the Grandson most of the time(our choice and it helps his dad). Also, one of my boys paid for it. I still would have shelled out the money, though.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/15/13 at 02:07 PM ET

Ever had a piping hot cup of Java with this…:

...while reading Jeff’s remarkable GDT?  You bitches surely are missing out.

Tom Renney was brought in to shore up and get our anemic PP to play better than last year.  I think, and it’s just my opinion, it is doing better - just no finish because Homer’s not in the familiar office.  It’s a bit of an adjustment and yes, it’s taking too long to compensate for it.

And excuses are like armpits.

Referees:
Stephen Walkom-24   <—————-
Francois St. Laurent-38

Linesmen:
Greg Devorski-54
Matt MacPherson-83

And there goes my lunch.  Walkdum officiating tonight’s match.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/15/13 at 02:08 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

And there goes my lunch.  Walkdum officiating tonight’s match.

Posted by SYF from yet another half-ass season by Proskauer Rose LLP on 02/15/13 at 01:08 PM ET

You mean Wadofcum?

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/15/13 at 04:11 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Hey bitches,

Nyquist recalled, for a player to be named later.  No shit.

General manager Ken Holland said a player, whom he wouldn’t identify, is hurting. The club won’t know until later this afternoon if that player is available.

FYI - no GDT for the Sunday tilt with MIN, I’m out of town this weekend with the Mrs.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/15/13 at 04:18 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/15/13 at 11:06 AM ET

Count on it.  I’ll have one.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/15/13 at 04:24 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/15/13 at 01:07 PM ET

Kate, I totally get where you are coming from and I have almost caved in a number of times.  But I’m stubborn, so I’m going to try and hold out this season.  Next season will probably be an entirely different story.

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/15/13 at 04:26 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I was pretty sure I would sign up when the season schedule was announced, and I did.  Attendance league wide seems to be high with no drop off.  I meant to look at the numbers again this week but haven’t.

On TV the Joe always looks half empty because of only seeing those bottom 8 rows, which in fact may be half empty.  But when there in person that part of the arena is tiny when taking it all in.  Are they corporate seats or other long time season tix holders who don’t mind missing some games?  I dunno.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/15/13 at 05:44 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Here’s a link…inactive at the moment…but they normally wake up about 5 minutes to puck drop

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/15/13 at 06:50 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

RWBIll…the people in the high dollar seats that are empty might be in the Olympia Club.  ever been there?  it’s grand.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 02/15/13 at 06:54 PM ET