Abel to Yzerman

Gary Bettman Reads, Ken Holland Reads Between The Lines

As summer drew to its conclusion many around the NHL were finishing up their summer readings at their cottages. Our imp commissioner, Li'l Gary Bettman, was reviewing the classic self-help book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" and wondering where it all went so wrong for him.  His boy-toy Sydney Rosby was dressing up as a vampire with sparkles and live action role-playing the "Twilight" trilogy.

Up at Lake Kalamalka in Vernon, British Columbia, Ken Holland was settling into a 540-page tome of his own.  Entitled "Collective Bargaining Agreement Between National Hockey League and National Hockey League Players' Association" it has become Holland's must-read of the year.  And that has Li'l Gary Bettman very worried.

No GM in the league turned Li'l Gary's last CBA inside-out quite like Holland did.  The long-term contracts with diminishing annual salaries to reduce the overall cap-hit became known as the "Red Wings Contract".  Crazy Lou in New Jersey even tried signing a Russian to a fifty-year deal until Bettman put down his size-5 shoes and said "Niet" to the contract.

This may be hard to admit today, with Nyquist stuck in Grand Rapids and Samuelsson remaining in the D, but Ken Holland is smarter than us and orders of magnitude smarter than Li'l Gary Bettman.  People around the NHL know it as well and are waiting for the next loophole the Wings will exploit to make Bettman's salary cap look like the farce it is.

Gary Bettman can read, Ken Holland can read between the lines.

If Tick-Tock had his way Samuelsson would be gone.  Yesterday.  As it stands today, Holland has to find a place in the marshes of the UP to hide a body.  I'm sure that if he had his way Cleary would be gone as well.  Neither of those players would be missed around here.  But Uncle Mike needed Charlie Buckets on the team for leadership and force of personality.  For years Tick-Tock has mostly ignored Babcock's wishlist but not this time.  Uncle Mike got his Charlie Buckets and Red Wings fans got indigestion at the thought of sending Nyquist to the minors again.

Criticism towards Holland is warranted.  He did very little to replace Lidstrom, Rafalski, and White despite advance warning, he has let decent prosects over-ripen in GR while struggling veterans were signed to contract renewals, he signed Mule instead of Hossa, he ignored Uncle Mike's requests for scoring forwards, etc., yet I believe that much of the criticism has been blown out of proportion.

That is certainly not going to be a popular opinion aboard the Hasek.

We don't really know how trade negotiations went.  I am convinced that all trading partners wanted to bend Holland over the proverbial barrel to make any trade and Tick-Tock refuses to be anybody's bitch.  While other GMs are throwing handfuls of money at middle-of-the-road free agents, Holland is playing the long game thinking about the future and setting the Wings up for continued success.

It may have taken a slew of Jobu-related injuries last season to give the kids a chance but they had it and proved themselves capable of NHL-calibre play.  I am much more confident about our blueline today than I was last season.  We are in the process of a rebuild and still made the playoffs and took the eventual Stanley Cup winners to Game 7 overtime.  No other teams even come close when rebuilding.

Let's not underestimate how much has been accomplished this offseason.  Weiss is an absolute steal.  The guy is head and shoulders better than Filppula especially in the offensive zone and faceoff circle.  While the MSM may question this fact, they are wrong.  Weiss was stuck on a horrible team and performed admirably.  He will flourish on the Wings.

If anyone saw the Wings' PP with Alfredsson on the ice last Friday and didn't get tight in the pants, you weren't paying attention.  His work and positioning, and that of his linemates, on his PP goal was the stuff that will make the opposition cry every game.  Alfie is a beast.  He provides us with a top-6 threat unmatched with the exception of a few teams.  He will fit into the Wings' system seamlessly and may even pull Mule out of his regular doldrums.

The Wings are heading into a conference and division where defence matters little.  Bringing their two-way oriented system to the East will allow the Wings to thrive while they continue their retooling.  Make no mistake about it, Nyquist will be back and Samuelsson will be punished.  Cleary will continue to frustrate us until the postseason where he will be an impact player so long as he can stay healthy throughout the regular season.

While Tick-Tock has earned his share of criticism over the past few years, this year he pulled his weight and then some.  If he could have gotten rid of Samuelsson, as he had hoped to do, his success this offseason would have been indisputable.  Let us not forget that Holland found the bargains among the free-agent fray that will set us up for continued success.  He provided Uncle Mike with two solid PP units and a young roster of hungry talent ready to prove their mettle.

Agree with me or not, that's up to you.  I think the Wings are looking better than they have for years.  Just wait until Holland starts reading between the lines of the new CBA and works his roster magic once again.

In Tick-Tock I trust.  Bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Chris from NOHS's avatar

Add Tootoo to that I wish I could have gotten rid of list, and yeah, can’t complain.

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 10/02/13 at 11:17 AM ET

perfection's avatar

great post man. I think you can add the Datsyuk extension to the offseason successes. $7.5 mil a year for a player I would argue is the best overall on the planet. You think any other team would have thrown him $9mil in a heartbeat?

But I think Cleary’s 10 pts in 13 playoff games probably made a one year signing pretty ok in Holland’s eyes. Despite the manufactured “controversy” of the signing, we’re talking about one of our top three playoff performers signing a one year deal for a hometown discount of under $2mil. Hell, Sammy makes a third more than he does. You think anybody wants Sammy at the deadline for a playoff run? The fact is, Cleary unquestionably makes the team better and a deal like that is just a no brainer. But I digress…

I agree that Kenny probably wishes he could have bought out Sammy, but as you point out, the dust will settle and in a few months, Sammy will either have surprised us all or played his way into the press box or IR. Gus AND Tats will be on a line game in and game out soon enough. Definitely sooner than later.

Also, if you look at how are team is set up for the future, things are really bright. And not just in terms of our prospects, but contractually as well. Sammy, Bert, Alfie, and Cleary are ALL free agents after this season. That’s basically all of our oldest players. Meanwhile, we still will have our one more buyout next season plus the cap is set to go up. We are in really great shape longterm. How anyone could call this “cap mismanagement” is beyond me.

And I am equally excited as you about watching Weiss and Alfie, though I’m a bit more concerned about their potential for injury. That is a pretty rickety second line. It’s not like Franzen isn’t prone to an injury here and there too.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 10/02/13 at 11:31 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Love the smell of optimism in the morning (or in this case, early in the season)!

I agree with you 100%, even if when it gets close to game time, I give in and start panicking

Posted by Zqto on 10/02/13 at 11:32 AM ET

MarkK's avatar

Agree with me or not, that’s up to you.

You say that, MC. But, Sweet 7lb 9oz Baby Helm knows I haven’t had the ability to decide for myself since ‘09.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 10/02/13 at 11:33 AM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

Beautiful stuff

Posted by joedaiceman on 10/02/13 at 11:41 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

yet I believe that much of the criticism has been blown out of proportion.

This is teh interwebs. Everything is blown out of proportion (cf. Miley Cyrus and Apple products).

That 540 page tome KH was reading wasn’t the CBA. He was brushing up on his botany. The Plant Kingdom

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 10/02/13 at 11:48 AM ET

dougie's avatar

may even pull Mule out of his regular doldrums.

And monkeys might fly out of my butt.

Posted by dougie on 10/02/13 at 11:51 AM ET

awould's avatar

My hope is Sammy gets 18 minutes of ice time that mostly coincides with the opponent’s checking line and he’s LTIR by game 15.

Posted by awould on 10/02/13 at 12:02 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

If Tick-Tock had his way Samuelsson would be gone.  Yesterday.

BS. He signed him to multi-year deal with a NTC. He should have know better. Even Brian Burke would know better.

Will someone please explain to me why Sammy could not be assigned to GR? He would have had to clear waivers, right? If some team claimed him, he would no longer be the Wings problem, right? If he went unclaimed, his salary would not count against the cap, right? I know there are lots of rules and CBA terms that I am unfamiliar with, because it could not be that easy to get rid of him, right?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 10/02/13 at 12:02 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

No, no, and no.  If Sammy stays healthy and middling, we’re stuck with him same later as now.

You made some good points, but there’s just no way Gus makes it back sooner than later (and yes I’d gladly be totally wrong about that).  When Helm gets healthy (in a month?) Gus will be even further away.

Posted by MoreShoot on 10/02/13 at 12:04 PM ET

perfection's avatar

the big new rule is that if Sammy was demoted, the majority of his salary would remain because of his veteran status. I think we’d only get something like $500k cap relief off of his 3mil dollar salary.

looking at our impending UFA’s, I really hope Kenny locks up Big Rig to an extension ASAP. I think he’s only going to play himself into making more money and he would get drastically more on the open market. He’s really shaped into a good top 4 dman and more importantly, it seems like he’s going to only get better.

Quincey though I would definitely wait on. He’s improved for sure, had a good playoff, and actually played pretty solidly in the preseason. But I think he needs to show over the course of this season he is worth the kind of money he will get on his next contract (or the money he makes on this contract for that matter)

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 10/02/13 at 12:09 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Big Rig ?  DeKeyser, too (or is that ‘Big Rig’?)

My feeling is, as goes Brendan Smith, so go the Wings.  You are only as good as your weakest link, and BS needs to get over his bad habits in a hurry.  His game could improve exponentially if he just stopped tying to make stupid plays up the middle on his side of neutral ice.

Posted by MoreShoot on 10/02/13 at 12:14 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 10/02/13 at 01:09 PM ET

Thanks, I knew there had to be some reason.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 10/02/13 at 12:16 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Gus is only two games away from no longer being exempt. Basically, the first time someone is injured, he will come up permanently.

But I think Kenny is just using LTIR and Gus’ status to delay the inevitable. The longer he can delay, the better. Because if god forbid someone goes down for the season or close to it in the first while, having someone like Patrick Eaves just be able to step in would be great.  think Kenny’s just hedging his bets for as long as he can.

But the other thing that could get Gus up nearly instantaneously would be any kind of losing streak or goalless drought. Don’t think for a second the team isn’t worried about losing Gus’ offensive production. I just think they believe they can still win with this lineup and know Gus will be up before playoffs regardless so they might as well just take advantage of his status while they can and keep an extra body around. But I have to think if we lose some games early, the first move will be to get Tats in immediately and the second move will be to get Gus in there asap. I honestly think we’d see that by game 4 if we lose the first 3.

But hey, I’d rather win every game, stay healthy, let Gus play top line minutes for a little bit in AHL and get him up when we need him, pissed and confident. Again, once he comes up it’s likely for good, so he knows this is the last time this will happen. That gives him a little bit of security

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 10/02/13 at 12:18 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

$950k maximum cap relief if buried in the minors. Oughta be called the Cristobal Huet rule.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 10/02/13 at 12:22 PM ET

I think you’re confusing fact with opinion.

Posted by Garth on 10/02/13 at 12:22 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 10/02/13 at 01:14 PM ET

Big Rig (Ericsson) is UFA

Dekeyser is RFA. he’s not going anywhere. I would actually wait to resign him though. He was so good out of the gate that his current value may be slightly inflated. I’d like to see him stay healthy and sustain that level for a full NHL season before we double his salary or something.

but I feel like Ericsson is only going to get better and more expensive as this year goes on. I’d like to see us lock him up for 4 years or so asap (as long as his agent isn’t being a prick)

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 10/02/13 at 12:23 PM ET

Or, the fact that he is only two games away from no longer being exempt means that he won’t be called up until the cap/roster crunches are definitively dealt with.

Posted by Garth on 10/02/13 at 12:24 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Here, here. I was completely on board with the first extension, and, am a big E52 fan. Always have been Always will be. He gets better shift by shift. And, as always, I will say that our dear Gramps was a E-52 fan too.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/02/13 at 12:25 PM ET

I think you’re absolutely right about that.  It would’ve been great if they could’ve re-signed him before the season starts.

Posted by Garth on 10/02/13 at 12:25 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Respectfully disagree. A team is not a chain, where all links are subject to the same pressure when pulled upon. Although a 5/6 D pairing can certainly affect the outcome of individual shifts and games, their ice time will be limited, therefore, blahblahblah

Posted by dougie on 10/02/13 at 12:28 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

If anyone saw the Wings’ PP with Alfredsson on the ice last Friday and didn’t get tight in the pants, you weren’t paying attention.  His work and positioning, as that of his linemates, on his PP goal was the stuff that will make the opposition cry every game.

Funny you say that. I was at last Friday’s game, and when people ask what impressed me most about it, besides my ability to spend $20 on two small shots of tequila I say it was the work of Alfredsson and how he positions himself on the PP. If last Friday was any indication, we are in for a treat.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/02/13 at 12:32 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 10/02/13 at 01:14 PM ET

And the funny (or depressing) thing about it is that players in Pee Wee AA figure this out…why can’t BS?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/02/13 at 12:39 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

VooX, thank you for this post!  I totally agree with you.  I really (-Sammy and +Nyquist) like our team.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 10/02/13 at 12:39 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

i like your thinking, VooX.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/02/13 at 12:41 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand

Posted by Garth on 10/02/13 at 01:24 PM ET

I disagree with a lot of things that Garth says (and the way he says them), but that right there is the gospel truth. I don’t know why it’s so darn hard for folks to grasp the reality of Nyquist’s situation.

Gus is in GR because there is no roster space for him. Once Eaves comes off LTIR, Emmerton will be heading to GR. After that, if someone else gets hurt badly enough to go on LTIR, they still can’t bring Gus up because they’ll be at 24 guys when the injured player comes off LTIR – and Gus will be out of waiver options.

And before someone says “Just waive Tootoo,” do the math. Because of the CBA rule mentioned in other comments, a million dollars of his salary will still count against the cap. And the Wings don’t have a million dollars of cap space available.

So, the two things that will get Gus back to Detroit are (1) a season-ending injury to one of the forwards or (2) a trade that frees up a roster spot. If someone knows of another scenario, I’d love to know what it is.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/02/13 at 01:05 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I agree with you, Voox. I’m pissed off about the Nyquist situation now that it has actually become an actual situation. But KH has been the best in the business, as has Babcock. Doesn’t make a lot of sense for us to sit here and be severely critical when the results have been pretty stellar since the two paired up.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/02/13 at 01:06 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/02/13 at 02:05 PM ET

so I hear you… and I don’t know the exact math or exactly who’ s salaries do what when waived (it is a sliding scale depending on age), nor I do have ANY idea if there are any real chances of trades these days, but my first thought is I’d think either Tootoo or Eaves would at least have a chance of being claimed no? I think both are considered solid enough NHL players that someone could use them. But I realize roster spots are scant league wide.

Also, why we don’t currently have a mil in cap space, Tootoo, Gustavsson AND his replacement are all currently taking up cap space since they are only on short term IR. So waiving Tootoo would give us an actual mil in cap relief from where we’re at now since his money is already accounted for. And once Gutavsson is back, we should get a bit more too.

And while obviously a team can’t depend on injuries, you sure can count on them and prepare. It’s likely at least one player will be on LTIR at any given point because that’s the way it is for most teams most years. So there may be a window there for a bit of cap relief.

I don’t know the answer of exactly how Gus will be accommodated, but I can tell you if we start losing especially due to a lack of secondary scoring, Kenny will find a way to make room for him. Everyone fully understands what he brings to the table.

And if we win, it’s moot. The time will come when we don’t have roster limitations and Gus will be like a deadline addition to a winning team. He’s only 24. I’m sure it sucks a bit for his ego, but he’s going to play a TON of minutes for however long he’s down there and he’s probably be going to be furious and hot when he does finally come up. And then he’ll be a red wing mainstay for the next decade and a half and this will all be history.

But I am definitely with you that I hope one way or another, he is up sooner than later. Gus is probably one of our best players to be honest.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 10/02/13 at 02:23 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

From the capgeek faq:

Players who sign multi-year contracts when they are age 35 or older (calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins) count toward the cap under all circumstances, regardless of where (or if) the player is playing. The only cap relief is $100,000 from the player’s cap hit if he is assigned to the minors after the first year of the contract or in the event of a buyout.

Posted by The Meal on 10/02/13 at 02:28 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Tootoo’s only 30 though. And Eaves is 29. I also think Sammy was 34 when he signed his deal. So we’d get more relief than that for any of them. Is it $900,000?

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 10/02/13 at 02:31 PM ET

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 10/02/13 at 03:31 PM ET

If you demote a player (such as Eaves or Tootoo) who has a one-way contract, you get (something like) $925K in cap relief.  This is a new rule to prevent “Wade Reddening” a player.

There’s a chance that Eaves gets claimed, but Tootoo has two years at nearly $2M left on his contract.  There are better (or at least equally as good, and cheaper) players that were waived this weekend who didn’t get claimed.  If those two were to go unclaimed and get demoted then Detroit would be paying them a combined $3M+ to play in the AHL and would still be on the hook for about a million and a half on their NHL cap.

Posted by Garth on 10/02/13 at 03:05 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The only cap relief that clubs get for players under 35 is an amount equal to the league minimum salary ($550,000) + $375,000, a total of $925,000. The rest of a player’s salary is counted against the cap. In Tootoo’s case that would be $1,075,000.

CapGeek.com has a good example of how this works this about half way down this page in the section titled “BURIED CONTRACTS (Wade Redden Rule).”

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/02/13 at 03:06 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Lovely read. I liked it.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 10/02/13 at 03:34 PM ET

perfection's avatar

right OlderThanChelios… so in terms of the math, which is what this was all about, if we end up putting Tootoo and Eaves on waivers (and no one claims either), we would get $925,000 a piece . Once Gustavsson is back, Coreau (or Mrazek at that point) gets sent back down and we get another $925,000. Plus we added Ouellet to the roster so we would reach the cap in order to use LTIR for relief. So here’s the math (if I did it right)...

ADD: Helm (2.1mi)l + Gus(950,000)  = $3,050,000

SEND TO GR: Tootoo ($925,000)  + Eaves($925,000) + Coreau(925,000)+Ouellet(894,167) +Emmerton($533,333) = $4,202,500

now seeing that of those being demoted, Eaves is not currently on our cap, we would basically have to add in the difference between his 1.2mil cap hit and 925,000. So that would be a $275,000 addition.

So after accommodating both Helm and Gus, we would still be left with $877,500 in cap space which would accommodate Mrazek’s $790,000 barring any injuries. Depending on how things go, it could even be enough to snag a prorated deadline acquisition of some sort.

I realize we’d be paying 3 mil for two guys to play in the AHL, but it’s Illitch we’re talking about. If it makes the team better I’m not sure if that would hinder these moves being made. This is all also assuming there is absolutely no trades to be made and neither Tootoo or Eaves gets claimed.

I don’t know. We’d be tight against the cap, but I think the math works out. Am I missing anything?

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 10/02/13 at 04:17 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Coreau and Ouelette are already in GR and off the cap. Gustavsson is on IR, not LTIR, so he’s currently on the cap.

CapGeek lists the Wings as having zero cap space. Not one dollar.

So, here’s the actual cap space available under your basic scenario:
• Waiving Eaves, Tootoo & Emmerton (if not claimed) adds $2,282,000
• Reinstating Helm subtracts $2,125,000
• Available remaining cap space = $157,000

There would be room on the roster for Gus, but not enough cap space to add his $950,000 salary once Helm returns.

It is true that once Eaves is off LTIR, they could easily waive the three guys you mentioned and add Gus. But if no one else is on LTIR, or no one has been traded, by the time Helm comes off of LTIR, then they’re screwed because Gus will be out of waivers. That’s a risky, risky crap shoot. And I doubt the Wings would take that chance.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/02/13 at 05:21 PM ET

Alfie is a beast.  He provides us with a top-6 threat unmatched with the exception of a few teams.  He will fit into the Wings’ system seamlessly and may even pull Mule out of his regular doldrums.

As much as I have tons of respect and admiration for Zata’s work as the Wings Captain, maybe a forceful personality like Alfie would be just the boost under Horse’s Ass’ skates.  Tired of it.

I’m not sure if Tick Tock and Uncle Mike are even on the same page.  If they are, one of them’s already on the next paragraph ahead of the other.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 10/02/13 at 06:20 PM ET

reads like a Malik Holland is God piece. older than is right. no way gus comes up until bert and or Sammy are on IR

Posted by jkm2011 on 10/02/13 at 07:55 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

no way gus comes up until bert and or Sammy are on IR.

Posted by jkm2011

Seriously? After everything that’s been laid out here about why that scenario is completely impossible, you go ahead and repeat it anyway.

As the old saying goes, “There are none so blind as those who will not see.”

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/02/13 at 10:31 PM ET