Abel to Yzerman

Game Day? If You Say So Then We’ll Live Blog It

Well. Yesterday (for me) I posted an “off day digging” ditty even though it turned out to be game day for you which is practically obscene.  Now, we have a game starting at 9pm Thursday night EST, I think. That means it’s 6am Friday and I’m pretty sure I’ll be awake which is nice.

Top spot in the West is the Wings’ to grab tonite and very few things in our lives are more important than securing it, holding it, nurturing it.  That top spot must be cupped and fondled and there is no place anywhere on earth better suited for that than in the palm of one James F. Tiberius Howard.  Craig Custance, the best hockey writer in Detroit, told us so this morning and it’s a personal decree of mine to believe everything Custance writes.

“Howard is growing into one of the league’s elite goalies and the fans in Detroit are starting to realize it. During the final 90 seconds of Monday’s shutout win over the Sabres, they filled the rafters of Joe Louis Arena with chants of his name. It was almost as if 20,000 people realized at the same moment that their goalie has matured into one of the game’s best.”

You, Mr. Custance, are gloriously correct.  And this is a Live Blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 12 13 14

SoDakWIngNut's avatar

Anyone check out the ‘Yotes play-by-play for the SO when Smith stoned Dangle Dangle?

“Suck it.”

Serial Killer’s response with his SO spin-o-rama winner?

“Suck THIS!”

“Stay Classy” ‘Yotes announcers.

Posted by SoDakWIngNut from Rapid City, SD on 01/20/12 at 02:42 AM ET

SoDakWIngNut's avatar

Actually for the sake of editorial accuracy, the quote was “...uh, huh, oh, suck on that.”

Everything else was my Red Wings lovin’ opinion. Hehe.

LGRW!

Posted by SoDakWIngNut from Rapid City, SD on 01/20/12 at 02:48 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/20/12 at 02:51 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Everything else was my Red Wings lovin’ opinion. Hehe.

LGRW!

Posted by SoDakWIngNut from Rapid City, SD on 01/20/12 at 12:48 AM ET

I may need to look that up.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/20/12 at 02:54 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

For any college hockey fans, It’s Michigan vs Notre Dame tomorrow night, whatever network and channel this is, anymore.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/20/12 at 02:59 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Look at this shit - league standings by points:

GP W L OT PTS

1   DETROIT   47   31   15   1   63
2   CHICAGO   47   28   13   6   62
3   ST LOUIS   46   28   12   6   62

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/20/12 at 10:54 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

^^  Top three teams in the whole damn league, from the Central.  NSH is 8 overall.

Crazy man, just freaking crazy.

By the way, the BJ’s are dead last.  Having terrible thoughts that they will be the team to snap the streak.

I demand that you shoot me now.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/20/12 at 10:59 AM ET

Like Jimmy Howard, A2Y has reached new levels of awesomeness this season.

Posted by BlackIceWhitePuck on 01/20/12 at 12:33 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Based on games played it should be

Detroit
NYR
St Louis
Chicago

I don’t know why the stat page sorts them wromg, maybe alphabetically.  The Standings tab at nhl.com does it more accurately.

If San Jose wins it’s next 3 it would be on the same pace as DRW, they’ve only played 44 as opposed to Detroit’s 47.

It’s thin as dick skin.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/20/12 at 12:34 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I know many of you believe I’m a prude, and I’m sure I’ve given that impression, but I’m not really.

However I was somewhat surprised if not a little dismayed to hear one of the PHX broadcasters use the phrase “Suck on that” when their goalie stopped Datsyuk’s S/O attempt.

I don’t object to the phrase being used in a blog, a school bus, a locker room, or in a movie theater on a date ( with a female this time, Sullyosis ), but I still think that’s not an appropriate phrase to be used live over the air in a public sports broadcast, even hockey.

Of course it is Pheonix, but there have been enough young Michiganders migrate to the valley of the sun that they should be able to find at least 2 professional sports broadcasters.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/20/12 at 12:48 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 01/20/12 at 12:57 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

ully should be taking his pants off about now.
  Posted by calquake on 01/19/12 at 11:45 PM ET

Damn, I can never be in the right place at the right time.
Posted by RWBill from Jerry Sandusky’s defense team. on 01/19/12 at 11:56 PM ET

I’m not sure you meet specifications, Bill.  As a mining engineer, Sully is into a lot deeper holes than you likely are able to provide.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/20/12 at 12:01 AM ET

I fuggin’ love you bitches. Yes, the game was awesome. Met up with Jess of Bingo Bango fame and did a lot putting ‘Yotes fans in their places. If you want my complete thoughts, head over to NOHS for “My Night in Jail.”

Great night though, and a good win. Tuzzi-rama for the win, MF’ers! And RWBill, I’m sad to hear that sorry excuse of a broadcaster talk like that. I know you’re a bit of a prude sometimes, especially when you just “play” with the boys in the showers and don’t actually do anything to them beyond teach them proper hygiene, but yeah, beyond being inappropriate, “Suck on that” is just classless and unprofessinal. I’m guessing it was Tyson Nash. He’s a superdouche. And I wish him ill. I hope every piece of toast he ever makes comes up looking like mine, with the face of the Prince of Darkness on it.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 01/20/12 at 01:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Damn, yo, is that Spintoozi on that toast or a self portrait, Sullyosis?

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/20/12 at 01:24 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I consider myself doing a community service.  Many disadvantaged youth do not know proper hygiene or how to wash themselves, especially their anus.  It demands a good probing.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/20/12 at 01:33 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Haha that handsome devil is Toddzilla.

Last night at the game my girlfriend suggested, after I pointed out the first ever Red Wings #44 jersey I’ve ever seen with “BERTUZZI” on the back, that I could probably gain some fame with a #44 Red Wings jersey that says “BUNDY” on the back. I laughed, and said it’s worth looking in to.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 01/20/12 at 01:47 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Also Bill, before I’d heard about Sandusky, I was echoing the jokes of one comedy’s finest:
(NSFW, but come on, this is A2Y, everything’s NSFW)

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 01/20/12 at 01:51 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Maybe I haven’t been paying close enough attention, but my money was on “sexual deviant stalker with a bacon fetish.”

Posted by dougie on 01/20/12 at 01:55 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

my money was on “sexual deviant stalker with a bacon fetish.”

Posted by dougie on 01/20/12 at 11:55 AM ET

I am shocked.  I’m going to have to rethink my whole approach to life.  I had no idea.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/20/12 at 02:35 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I’m sure all you pharmacists know this already, but it is worth repeating:

Bertuzzi had eight goals and 12 assists in his past 25 games, then scored Thursday night against Phoenix and also tallied the only goal in Detroit’s shootout win.

He had just three points (goal, two assists) in his first 14 games.  Bertuzzi had a minus-1 rating through his first 11 games. He has been a plus-22 since joining Datsyuk and Franzen. Bertuzzi posted a career-best plus-21 rating in 2001-02 and 2003-4 with Vancouver.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/20/12 at 03:43 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

The DET PP is moonshine laden:

the power play in only producing just three goals in the past 41 chances stretched across the past 16 games.

“Nothing’s going on,” Babcock said, when asked to critique the power play. “We’re not getting quality chances, we’re not wearing anybody out … we break in nice, we get a chance, they shoot it down the ice and the same thing happens again. We’ll take a look at it, we’ll get it fixed.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/20/12 at 04:20 PM ET

dougie's avatar

my money was on “sexual deviant stalker with a bacon fetish.”

Posted by dougie on 01/20/12 at 11:55 AM ET

Posted by RWBill from Jerry Sandusky’s defense team. on 01/20/12 at 12:35 PM ET

Well, I hope you know I meant that as a compliment.

Posted by dougie on 01/20/12 at 04:58 PM ET