Abel to Yzerman

Game Day? If You Say So Then We’ll Live Blog It

Well. Yesterday (for me) I posted an “off day digging” ditty even though it turned out to be game day for you which is practically obscene.  Now, we have a game starting at 9pm Thursday night EST, I think. That means it’s 6am Friday and I’m pretty sure I’ll be awake which is nice.

Top spot in the West is the Wings’ to grab tonite and very few things in our lives are more important than securing it, holding it, nurturing it.  That top spot must be cupped and fondled and there is no place anywhere on earth better suited for that than in the palm of one James F. Tiberius Howard.  Craig Custance, the best hockey writer in Detroit, told us so this morning and it’s a personal decree of mine to believe everything Custance writes.

“Howard is growing into one of the league’s elite goalies and the fans in Detroit are starting to realize it. During the final 90 seconds of Monday’s shutout win over the Sabres, they filled the rafters of Joe Louis Arena with chants of his name. It was almost as if 20,000 people realized at the same moment that their goalie has matured into one of the game’s best.”

You, Mr. Custance, are gloriously correct.  And this is a Live Blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

stonehands-78's avatar

Thanks, Master Chief.

One word (as I stated in the GDT): Win.

period.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/19/12 at 10:09 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

True stuff, Chief.  Howard gives us one thing going into the springtime that we haven’t always had—absolute trust in the guy between the pipes.

Rock on Sailor!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/12 at 10:11 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

It’s all good their Chief, gotta keep the boots on the ground safe, more important than keeping track of game days.  Looks like they’re keeping you guys busy.

I’m seriously thinking the Wings are shopping Emmertona nd Kindl.. and that makes me excited we’ll get a significant roster piece by the deadline.  I like Kindl, have since he was in the AHL, but where does he fit when Smith comes up?  I’d rather keep Commie and have a bottom 4 D man who’s a Righty.  Also seems to make Ericsson look a lot better.

Hope the Wings come out swinging tonight and take advantage of a tired Yotes team, we’ll see.  Wont be surprised if they mail it in either.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/19/12 at 10:13 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

I’m going to take the liberty of re-posting my rant from the previous thread….

I step away for a day and come back to a whole boat-load of juicy trade talk and other fun stuff about awesome banners in rafters (i’ve given SJ Sharts fans no end of shit about this over the years), but the one thing i’d really like to join in on here is the perceived lack of production from one Henrik Zetterberg.

I’ve been critical of a great many things about a few things this season such as the maddeningly inept penalty killing, the less-than-consistent power play, the continued foibles of E52, the need for a gritty, skilled forward to solidify the team’s chances at #12 as well as the bad habit of laying an occasional egg at the worst possible time.  But among the gross negatives one could call into account here, the play of Henrik Zetterberg is rather low on my list of concerns.

Malik and some of the other more keenly insightful among us theorized he may have been battling through some injury problems early on, but his game has been much better over the past twenty games or so, and my overall my take is this—the guy plays hard, plays smart, plays responsible and makes his linemates better.  I really like Filppula a lot too (and think that any criticism sent his way is probably equally unfounded), but does anybody imagine his game hasn’t benefitted greatly from playing alongside Hank?  Do I even need to mention how much more productive Hudler seems to be playing on that line?

We may have some legitimate concerns about what this team will or won’t need in order to truly compete come springtime, but in my book, #40 really isn’t one of them.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/12 at 07:02 PM ET

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/12 at 10:13 PM ET

dftns19's avatar

Been a reader here for years and years (long enough to know that A2Y is the height of objective NHL blogging professionalism) and finally made an account. I haven’t decided whether I’m that fuching lazy or I’m intimidated by the 19. Either way, thanks for the years of entertainment, stress-relief reading, and a feeling of a community with other like-minded Wings fans.

Go Wings. Beat the Bettmans.

Posted by dftns19 from Columbus, OH on 01/19/12 at 10:16 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Jimmy F. Howard.  Time to step up that road game, and toight would be as good as any to start.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/19/12 at 10:28 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Evenin’ bitches. Lloyd Carr says hello from the auto show.

Now I guess I’ll go take a nap till game time.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/19/12 at 10:36 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

he played with him last year too.. give credit where it’s due.. Flip is on a aroll this season and he’s got confidence in the ozone now.  I imagine a good vet settles the line down but I don’t think it’s the superior play of Z making him better.

Bottom line is you have to produce, 18 games without a goal when you make 6m on a highly salary structured team is unacceptable.  He needs to find his stride like Pav did.  However, as long as others ARE producing and he’s helping keep the puck out of the net I’m good to go.

We do still need another element to the team and I believe that’s a puck retrieval specialist and those coincidentally tend to be gritty players.  Some, like ours, are highly skilled players but cycling down low against big bodies like Clowe and Joe, you want some tenacity and bite.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/19/12 at 10:43 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Posted by dftns19 from Columbus, OH on 01/19/12 at 07:16 PM ET

Welcome sir/maam.  Hope things are good in the land of the BJs.

Err, yeah, that’s what I meant.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 01/19/12 at 10:51 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Hope things are good in the land of the BJs.

They signed Lebda.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 01/19/12 at 11:00 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Hey-Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!  What’s Up, Bitches?

Clicky

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/19/12 at 11:04 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Hey - ohhh to you too Bill

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/19/12 at 11:11 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Been a reader here for years and years -
A2Y is the height of objective NHL blogging professionalism -
made an account-
I haven’t decided -
I’m that fuching lazy -
years of entertainment -
stress -
relief -
a feeling of a community with other like-minded Wings fans -
Beat the Bettmans -

Posted by dftns19 from Columbus, OH on 01/19/12 at 07:16 PM ET

Sweet Baby Jesus you sound like an OG 19, don’t be a stranger!

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/19/12 at 11:18 PM ET

ChowYunCat's avatar

Do you think Mursak helps fill this role?

Posted by ChowYunCat on 01/19/12 at 11:24 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

West Wing, worth the reposting.

Zetterberg is a leader of the Wings resurgence in team defense by playing against the other teams’ top lines, dropping the GAA by a stunning 0.60 goals per game.

Thankfully, Babcock is not a box score analyst, as are most sports writers and fans.  With an emphasis on defense Z still is second in assists.  In the words of the consumate got-my-teammate’s-back team player Todd Ber-Tuzzi, “who cares who gets credit for the goal?”

Z does more on the ice for the team than writers can see by looking at the box score the next morning.  Z will get his points for the team.  If they are assists rather than goals only the statisticians and fantasy league die-hards will care.

Z will be a mainstay and core to the Wings quest for 12 in 12. There will be more nuances to it than looking at the box score to form an analysis.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/19/12 at 11:36 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Evening 19+.  Wings = West Top Spot! Sounds like a Great Plan-Thanks Master Chief!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 01/19/12 at 11:41 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

On the pregame show they are discussing this being the end of hockey in phoenix. I feel badly for the hockey fans there, but as a selfish wings fan, it’s one less stop on these west coast road trips.

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/19/12 at 11:44 PM ET

monkey's avatar

starting to realize it.

Bitch, please.  That shit is tattooed on our hearts.

Good evening, bitches.  Welcome aboard, dftns19.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/19/12 at 11:44 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

And this is a Live Blog, bitches.

Evenin’ Bitches. . Keepin’ my best thoughts for you and your shipmates, Master Chief.

Let’s Roll.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/19/12 at 11:47 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Greets 19.  Tonight I’m gonna try to join in here on my Kindle Fire.  We’ll see how it goes… LGRW!

Posted by Primis on 01/19/12 at 11:47 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Hey-Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!  What’s Up, Bitches?

Clicky

Posted by RWBill from Jerry Sandusky’s defense team. on 01/19/12 at 08:04 PM ET

Hooked on It’s Always Sunny right quick RWBill. Have you watched “Frank Reynolds Little Beauties” yet?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/19/12 at 11:53 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by dftns19 from Columbus, OH on 01/19/12 at 07:16 PM ET

Welcome aboard.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/19/12 at 11:55 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“as a selfish wings fan, it’s one less stop on these west coast road trips.”

This.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 01/19/12 at 11:56 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

so, everyone here the “news”?

the desert dogs’ “owner” (i.e. Gary.Ass) is still looking for a buyer ... or else.

bwahahahahahaha

too bad the Jets are already, um, re-established.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/19/12 at 11:58 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

so, everyone here the “news”?

bwahahahahahaha

too bad the Jets are already, um, re-established.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/19/12 at 11:59 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

No expectation tonight.  Wings just do not perform consistently on the road.

Leaning ugly.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/19/12 at 11:59 PM ET

monkey's avatar

No expectation tonight.  Wings just do not perform consistently on the road.

Leaning ugly.

Ahh, but tonight is the first night of the rest of the season.  No time like the present to work shit out.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/20/12 at 12:01 AM ET

RorSchach's avatar

The 19 intimidate me. But I still come here and hope not to make an ass out of myself.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/20/12 at 12:02 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

hmmmm,  double post?

strange things in the desert ... or halfway around the world, eh, Master Chief?

(he’ll see this comment tomorrow) sooooo,

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/20/12 at 12:03 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Alrighty, late enough. Lets get this thing started already.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/20/12 at 12:03 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Oddly enough, I come here dreaming of new ways to make an ass of myself.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/20/12 at 12:04 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

merffs waisted ...

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/20/12 at 12:04 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

What the fuchs up bitches?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/20/12 at 12:04 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Hey, I thought it was the Red Wings that were old. Whoda thought?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/20/12 at 12:04 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Did I hear Trevor say that Happy had a “reach-around” in Dallas?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/20/12 at 12:05 AM ET

SoDakWIngNut's avatar

Way to start tonight’s broadcast…with a Happy Hooker reach-around.

LFGRW!

Posted by SoDakWIngNut from Rapid City, SD on 01/20/12 at 12:05 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

“old” is relative

... ask Einstein

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/20/12 at 12:06 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Did I hear Trevor say that Happy had a “reach-around” in Dallas?

Yes, yes you did. Would you expect anything less from a back licker?

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/20/12 at 12:06 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Anyone got a feed?  My regular source is not coming through right now.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/20/12 at 12:07 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/19/12 at 07:28 PM ET

Along with the rest of the roster.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!