Abel to Yzerman

From Datsyuk to Abdelkader To Datsyuk To Russia And Back To Babcock: It’s a Live Blog

Listening to 97.1 today has been interesting.  Our post yesterday has been cited much of the day on this station and in a few other places and it's brought on a lot of side discussions focusing on two things:

Should the Wings trade Pavel Datsyuk while they can get something for him and while it's clear this team is not going to win this year?

Is Mike Babcock in danger of being fired, and would that be the right move?

My takes: I obviously believe Datsyuk is gone after next year.  I also have seen nothing from Ken Holland that tells me any moves will be made to make a final run to get 13 one more ring. Holland didn't do it for Lidstrom and he won't do it for Datsyuk. In fact, he's done nothing since Hossa left.  Nothing.  If the status quo remains because he "likes our team"?  He might as well get something for Datsyuk.  Callous? Yes. Realistic? Yes.  We love Datsyuk. He's the most popular Wing since The Captain, the first one.  But Holland has to know he's on his way out and not considering this option would be negligent.

If the right deal comes along: a young, can't-miss superstar along with multiple 1st and 2nd round picks...it has to be considered.

Mike Babcock has been in that seat for 8 seasons.  That's a long time.  We've been here for the whole thing. We're tired of his act just like we're tired of Holland's, especially now when the team has stagnated.  That's us.  And, frankly, it carries no water. We're fans and our opinion of his work has no bearing.  We're tired of him, largely, but that doesn't matter.

But the players?  I have no idea if they're tuning him (Babcock) out.  But this Datsyuk thing...it's so glaring.  He's had this science project going for a month and it's been a failure.  He's kept Justin Abdelkader on Datsyuk's line and that should have been a four game failed experiment.

It's a tough time. It's difficult because we see the problems and we hear the same old crap.  Hell, I even heard a quote from Babcock just a few days ago..and he used the "sun came up" thing again.  Seriously.

It may be time to clean house altogether. From Holland down.  Mike Ilitch will not do that. He won't fire Kenny Holland.

Unless...if word filters up that Steve Yzerman's available?  All bets are off.

All of that is the future.  This is a Live Blog (bitches) and that is most definitely the present, and the present is sucking hard.  The playoffs are still...a consideration.  They are.  And if you make it, well shit.  You never know.  And man this would be something if they made a run after this clusterfuch of a season.

Once again, as we've said so many times...It has to start tonite.  It must.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

Hootinani's avatar

I dont know which to feel more greatful for

The fact that Im finally over the food poisoning I got earlier this week

Or the fact that said poisoning kept me from watching Wednesday’s debacle

Lets hope this one is a little less questionable.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/15/13 at 07:33 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

thanks, Chief

2 points tonite, K? And,  um, ...

I really like our team.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/15/13 at 07:37 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

that should have been a four game failed experiment.

A 4 shift experiment, max.

And Holland will never be fired.  After watching Illitch’s speech at Lids retirement, I’m not sure someone isnt doing a Weekend at Bernies with his body, and his kids are too busy getting the real estate deals done to care whats happening with the team.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/15/13 at 07:38 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

The playoffs are still…a consideration.  They are.  And if you make it, well shit. You never know.  And man this would be something if they made a run after this clusterfuch of a season.

Did you let Holland ghost write that sentence?

Fellas it’s too rough to feed ya.  Lucky alcoholic beverage come in concave containers.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/15/13 at 07:40 PM ET

Chet's avatar

my theory remains that they moved abdelkader up and kept playing him there to pad his stats so he could be traded. of course, when he doesn’t score at all, it’s a stupid move that may also cost them the playoffs.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 03/15/13 at 07:40 PM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

Holy Jesus - I have my problems with Babs and Kenny but a rough stretch means blow the whole thing to kingdom come which is started by trading Datsyuk? I guess loyalty is a one way street for the 19. Datsyuk can be loyal to a fault, but damn him if he doesn’t score in eight games.

It will be a lynch mob should we not make the playoffs.

Posted by joedaiceman on 03/15/13 at 07:41 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Once again, as we’ve said so many times…It has to start tonite.  It must.

Top-o-the evenin’ to you, Bitches. Tonite, Master Chief. Tonite.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/15/13 at 07:43 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

It will be a lynch mob should we not make the playoffs.

Posted by joedaiceman on 03/15/13 at 08:41 PM ET

How you got that anyone is frustrated with Datsyuk out of what Chief said is beyond me.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/15/13 at 07:46 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Thanks Chief,
I don’t get into all the politics. After being on teams for many years, and being in management in various situations, good and bad,

I will say,

I don’t know it all or even pretend to understand the reasons why management - Ken Holland does what he does or Mike Babcock is changing lines as fast as the wind blows, or not sticking with what does work, sending players back and calling other players up….I understand when a player is injuried, he needs to be replaced, until said player is able to play again,.....see this is why I don’t get into the politics of the game.

I would expect from the coach that he would know his players and put them in the best possible positions and times and MOTIVATE, not have hidden agendas.

I just would like the Wings to play the game they love and that we’d get 2 points tonight.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 03/15/13 at 07:49 PM ET

bigdee89's avatar

Lol gotta love the doom and gloom we bring.

Why Datsyuk? Why not Fil or Donkey?  Sure Pav gets us more but do you really want Donkey and Fil teaching the kids?  I’d rather have Pav cooking up some dangle soup for the youngsters

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 03/15/13 at 07:50 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

The sinking ship shouldn’t mean Pavel ever plays for anyone than Detroit.
It’s not his fault the roster is what it is. Him playing anywhere else is a travesty.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 07:52 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

It will be a lynch mob should we not make the playoffs.

Posted by joedaiceman on 03/15/13 at 08:41 PM ET

I am most definitely NOT on the trade Datsyuk bandwagon. But, that topic is set aside for now.

Tonite’s topic, FUCHING WIN!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/15/13 at 07:59 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Drink up bitches. One way or another ya will be glad ya did.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 08:04 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Him playing anywhere else is a travesty.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 08:52 PM ET

I’m sure Calgary feels the same way about Iginla.  Its worked out real well for them.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/15/13 at 08:05 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

I didnt believe the Pav talk yesterday, and I dont believe it today. Loyalty in this organization and its players has a track record. And it speaks for itself. Only way Pav would be traded is if he was asked(even if he does not have a NTC), thats the respect hes earned. And just like the Chief said, no significant deals have been made since Hossa bolted for the Cawks. So why should I be made to believe it now? If he retires from the NHL next year so be it. I love the guy, and leaving on his own terms is the way it should be.

If Pav were to move to a contender, then you bet your ass we get a huge return. His cap hit vs. what young stars are gonna command(8 or 9mil) is cheap, and oh boy you are gonna pay.

Anyways, enough of this crap bringing me down, lets get 2 tonight and push on!

Game On!

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/15/13 at 08:05 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Hey there, Bitches.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 03/15/13 at 08:08 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Yes, tonite.

LET’S GO RED WINGS!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/15/13 at 08:08 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Comparing the Wings to Calgary? Um sure. Time for a beer.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 08:17 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I’ve got one Hopslam on board, another primed and ready, and I just finished watching the Wolverines beat Western in the CCHA QF, and I had to pause and think. The Wolverines, if you’ve paid attention this year, absolutely stunk on ice three weeks ago. But just all do a sudden, they haven’t lost a game in three weeks and they are playing like they want to win the Last CCHA tournament ever and look like they could. I have to concede that it IS possible for Phoenix moments in sport. I crack a new Hopslam hoping the same inspiration can infiltrate the Wings.

... and I won’t be sober by the outcome for sure.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/15/13 at 08:18 PM ET

klank's avatar

60 minutes, boys.  LGRW.

totally agree with Nivo.

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 03/15/13 at 08:19 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Go Blue!

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/15/13 at 08:19 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Of course, the caveat is the Wolverines have Berenson, who always has had the rare ability to instruct his players correctly how to conquer the challenge ahead of them. Babcock only seems capable of reminding players that suffering is worthless.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/15/13 at 08:22 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

This team has been trending down the last couple years, and the wheels have totally fallen off this year.  Holland has done jack shit since Hossa.  The coaches have been inept this year, special teams are a freaking disaster.

I do not believe there is a chance in hell this team even makes the playoffs this season, there is nothing in their record to suggest they will.  Even if they do squeak in, they will not have home ice, so good luck with that.

The times, they are a changin.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/15/13 at 08:23 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Comparing the Wings to Calgary? Um sure. Time for a beer.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 09:17 PM ET

both teams trying to fight off a true rebuild, both teams needing an infusion of talent at all positions, both teams with an aging star they could make bank on.  Just because Calgary’s been in denial longer, doesn’t make it a poor comparison.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/15/13 at 08:24 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

They’re not trading Datsyuk because it’s impossible to make any equitable trade. A young stud plus three prime picks?  No way.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/15/13 at 08:30 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

some how I hope we don’t overlook man-games lost to injuries ...

we haven’t had a healthy roster all season.

never give up.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/15/13 at 08:30 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I want to concentrate on one thing and one thing only… oh look, a shiny new quarter!  Anyways what was I saying?  Win this Wings… 19 Bitches demand it.

Posted by calquake on 03/15/13 at 08:32 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Mickey made the trip out to Edmonton?  Sweet.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/15/13 at 08:32 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Ken and Mick. Yay!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/15/13 at 08:33 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Thanks the vegans and their gluton free menus

Posted by Hootinani on 03/15/13 at 08:33 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Kate, I wonder if Mick was told not to do the wink anymore of did he just get tired of it?

Posted by calquake on 03/15/13 at 08:34 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

And in HD.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/15/13 at 08:34 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

So I assume the standard 8-13-93 tonight with Nyquist wishing?

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/15/13 at 08:35 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Thanks the vegans and their gluton free menus

No fat-asses allowed.

Posted by calquake on 03/15/13 at 08:35 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

So I assume the standard 8-13-93 tonight with Nyquist wishing?

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/15/13 at 09:35 PM ET

Not sure, but Mick just said that Abby is playing on Pavs wing because Pav wants him there, so I’m assuming thats staying the same

Posted by Hootinani on 03/15/13 at 08:36 PM ET

Thunderpriest's avatar

The dissent amongst fans about Abby playing with Pavs is so palpable and widespread that Mickey just addressed it….but I can’t for the life of me understand why both he and Ken Daniels have been carrying Abby’s water. Perhaps the Wings have #8 up with Pavel to try to polish the turd for trade bait. Other than that…I have no clue….

Posted by Thunderpriest on 03/15/13 at 08:36 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Maybe it’s Nyquist they need to trade since the don’t seem remotely interested in determining if he’s ready to fill the role they keep defining for him.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/15/13 at 08:36 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

LETS GO RED WINGS!!!!!

LETS GO RED WINGS!!!!!

LETS GO RED WINGS!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 03/15/13 at 08:37 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by calquake on 03/15/13 at 09:34 PM ET

I have wondered aboot that all season. There is a different format to start the broadcast this season. Ken and Mick have been separated in the beginning segment. Who knows? Maybe he thought it was a jink.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/15/13 at 08:38 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/15/13 at 09:36 PM ET

To be fair, Babs sees everyone as a grinder, so Gus is right where he belongs

Posted by Hootinani on 03/15/13 at 08:38 PM ET