Abel to Yzerman

Filip Zadina Improving And Other Detroit Topics

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

“He’s gotten better game by game,” coach Jeff Blashill said earlier in the week. “He’s gotten more and more confident, making plays, finding ways to create space.

“It’s a real positive step in the right direction, and certainly good for our organization.”...

“I feel pretty good, I feel confident,” Zadina said. “It’s probably why I’m playing way better than I played my first game. (I) feel great with the puck, confident, and creating chances for my teammates.”

The Wings will not have forward Dylan Larkin (neck strain) Thursday, as Larkin misses his fifth consecutive game. The Wings aren’t planning on getting Larkin into the lineup until he has full-motion and is pain-free.

Already down one defenseman — Mike Green, who is out for the remainder of the season with a virus — the Wings will not have Jonathan Ericsson (lower body), either, against Tampa.

Ericsson appeared to twist, or sprain, his right knee Tuesday in Montreal in a collision along the boards.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

“He’s gotten more and more confident

Young, skilled player gains confidence while playing on a scoring line rather than being forced to prove his worth on the fourth line first.

What a concept!

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 03/13/19 at 03:48 PM ET

What a concept!
Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 03/13/19 at 03:48 PM ET

Don’t worry. There is still time for Zadina to learn how to play heavy. Maybe he can spend the summer watching film of Abby or Glendening to improve his heavy game. Stick to the process and we’ll turn you into a 200-foot winner.

Posted by rogerrab on 03/13/19 at 06:33 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Supposedly on the air a few minutes ago, NBCSN said the draft lottery will be April 9th at 8pm ET.

Nothing yet from the NHL.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/13/19 at 06:40 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from the Wings,

When 15-year-old Ryan Kuffner wasn’t selected in the OHL draft, he doubted if his dream of playing in the NHL would ever come true.

As it turns out, that disappointment was just the kick in the pants he needed to get serious about his hockey career.

“I had heard so many stories of guys who didn’t make it into the OHL and just shut down their hockey career and I didn’t want that to be me,” the Ottawa native explained. “As every 15-year-old hockey player does, I had dreams of playing in the NHL and winning Stanley Cups. So, I set short-term goals to help me improve and take the next step and then the next step and then the next and I just wanted to keep going until I made it to the NHL.”

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/13/19 at 06:43 PM ET

Posted by rogerrab on 03/13/19 at 06:33 PM ET

Jesus. the sarcasm is almost unbearable. I sure can’t wait for you to be commenting in the offseason when things aren’t going exactly your way.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 03/13/19 at 07:02 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 03/13/19 at 07:02 PM ET

I sure can’t wait for you to be Monday Morning QB commenting next season about the offseason after having hindsight knowledge in hand when things aren’t going exactly your way.

Fixed that for you.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 03/14/19 at 09:45 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Another one of these infamous HHHT over-exaggerated claims.  Who exactly have the wings asked to play heavy?  Aside from Jurco who had the body and size to be heavy and flamed out.

And what team in the NHL develops any players, particularly ones they want in top 6 roles that don’t want them to be 200ft players? That don’t push that from a young player of any ilk?  He can score so who cares if he has to defend, please enlighten me, what organization is developing their players that way? Forcing young players to learn defense was HOFer Scotty Bowmans MO, was he out of whack?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 03/14/19 at 09:53 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Blashill and his coaching staff have made it a point this entire season to make sure Rasmussen is using his size and strength to protect the puck and be a dominant force around the net.

“The next step is learning how to create offense out of being heavy on the puck,” Blashill said. “Not just to hold onto it (the puck) but how to find open guys the way the real good down-low players. That’s the next progression for him.”

“In the offensive zone, we have to do a better job of forecheck pressure, winning those puck battles, and then being heavy on the puck. We worked lots on that today.”

He’s made some plays in tight areas, he understands being heavy on the puck. You continue to work on slowing the game down for him and sorting situations.”

I can probably quote 20 more articles to “Being Heavy on the Puck” for many different players the last 4 seasons. It’s strange the selective memory some people have or choose to have.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/14/19 at 10:36 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Oh the wheel in the sky keeps on turning….

Posted by ilovehomers on 03/14/19 at 11:04 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/14/19 at 10:36 AM ET

You are correct, my apologies, I assumed there was a common sense factor in how a team would develop certain players, like our the 6’6 220lb 19 year old drafted to play net front, crash creases, and be strong on the puck vs. asking 6ft 190lb sniper to be heavy or Cholosky or ...

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 03/14/19 at 12:03 PM ET