Abel to Yzerman

Farewell To A Founder

I started this blog on some sort of Wordpress deal back in December, 2005.  Paul pushed me to do it, actually. I'd been a poster over at MLive and decided I needed a bigger room, because I'm so smart and my wisdom needed to spread and spread fast.

So we began there. For about a day, because I was in Tennessee, I got all creative and called the blog "Hockeytown South". Stupid and Paul told me so. Abel to Yzerman was born then and continues to this day, with few fewer posts and ashamedly a little less wit.

I'm positive, but I believe Hockeytown Todd was one of our first readers.

I'm absolutely positive he had more influence over me than anyone else.

"Injuries and officiating".  That was Todd Sorensen's refrain and he repeated it every time we made our bombastic claims that the Wings wouldn't lose a shift much less a single playoff game ever again in history.

Over and over again he reminded us that there were factors besides talent that would determine the Wings fate. I argued with him about that, but I always knew he was right.

He had a blog for a while and for the life of me I can't remember it.  I don't know.

We had just started a deployment in 20, shit, 11? Might have been '09. I don't remember. I just know that I was meeting my ship in Mayport and I posted something from the Navy Lodge there, from the lobby. I didn't have a laptop. Money was a little tight in the Iwo household and I wasn't gonna buy one.  Anyway, I posted that I'd be a little scarce and probably hinted, like a little bitch, that I was laptopless.

I don't know how he did it, how he got the address to the Navy Frigging Lodge in Mayport, FLA.  But two days later, one day before I was gonna fly out to the ship, a package arrived.  Todd had sent me a laptop.  Insane.

He was a gruff old guy, an original member of the 19. A goldmine of hockey knowledge. He was outspoken but I know he held back when he could have ripped me for being a biased fan instead of a "responsible" blogger. I never have been and he always stuck with me, and us. Well, he's gone.

He was at the first Herm 2 Hockeytown. I wasn't and it really gets me today that I could have met him and never did.

Great old guy. Great friend to us all.

No more 19. The idea will always be there. We all know what it stands for and who it represents. But it's no more.

It's the 18 now.  Rest easy Todd.  Give 'em Hell from up there and keep us in line down here. As you always did.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Puppies and Hookers's avatar

Farewell friend. You will be missed.

Posted by Puppies and Hookers from La la land on 07/30/13 at 02:47 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

That was Todd Sorensen’s

That’s insane, I had no idea, he and I share the same last name.  He’s even an “sEn” Sorensen.  Unreal, both Hockeytown-Sorensen’s on KK.  Wish’d I’d have known, if he’s from mid-Michigan, we probably shared family… sad day.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/30/13 at 02:49 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Great writeup Chief.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/30/13 at 02:58 PM ET

Cwix's avatar

19 to 18, a fitting honor, Master Chief. Sharon and I were lucky to attend H2H and had some great conversations with Todd during the festivities. He will be missed.

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Chicago, IL on 07/30/13 at 03:06 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

One of the originals, the sanest one, of course.

Grumpy and all, but all people who are right most of the time tend do be grumpy. The pirate leaves us, the eye patch image remains.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/30/13 at 03:10 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Great post, thank you for sharing the story about the laptop. HTT definitely was one of the good guys.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/30/13 at 03:17 PM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

It was hockeytowntodd.blogspot.com, I think. No longer there.

Great tribute, Bill—he was an old-timer in more ways than one. Big loss.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/30/13 at 03:17 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Rest in peace, Gramps.

His knowledge and love of the game was without peer. I was fortunate to meet and chat with him at H2H.

He graciously posed for a pic with me:

And here is a pic of him at the Joe with Baroque:

Great tribute, Master Chief.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/30/13 at 03:27 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Thanks CMO. A fitting tribute to one of the “good guys”.

Gramps, we miss you already. All 18 of us.

With a heavy heart,
Kate

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/30/13 at 03:33 PM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

That is a great post.  And it made me cry, because he was that guy.  Liked to stir it up with everyone, but a super great guy.  He couldn’t make H2H2 which bummed me out but he wasn’t gonna miss Herm.  It’s a sad day.

Posted by jennyquarx on 07/30/13 at 03:37 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Rest in peace, Gramps…you lit the path for curmudgeons everywhere.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 07/30/13 at 03:45 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

It was hockeytowntodd.blogspot.com, I think. No longer there.

You’re right,  Matt, thanks for the reminder. A portion of it is archived here:

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 07/30/13 at 03:50 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

HTT: “...and another thing, the move to the East allows the Wings to utilize players like ...”

St. Peter (eyes rolling): “Sir, we really do need to get a move on here”

get ‘em, Gramps! smile

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 07/30/13 at 03:53 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

You’re right,  Matt, thanks for the reminder. A portion of it is archived here:
Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 07/30/13 at 04:50 PM ET

Thanks for finding that, Gabe.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/30/13 at 03:55 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Well done.

RiP HTT

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 07/30/13 at 04:01 PM ET

yreland's avatar

So long HTT.  Today shows what a fantastic and supportive community that Paul has brought to the world.

Posted by yreland from Hockey's black hole South Carolina on 07/30/13 at 04:08 PM ET

19 sticktaps.  Somewhere in the great wide open, HTT is giving the good Lord an earful.  We wouldn’t want it any other way.

R.I.P., Mr. Sorensen.  I’ve only wished I’ve met you sooner.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/30/13 at 04:18 PM ET

Paul's avatar

HTT’s last comment…

GDT - WCQF Game 6: Red Wings (2-3) host Ducks (3-2) 8:00

No excuse to have a Game 7 on at 10PM on a Sunday night when one of the teams is in the Eastern time zone.  Absolutely none.
Posted by John W.

Unless it has been predetermined there will be no game 7.

Brad Watson-23
Marc Joannette-25
#$%^ me.
Posted by MOWingsfan19

Injuries and officiating, fellas….
Injuries and OFFICIATING

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/30/13 at 04:39 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Thank you for the write up, Chief.  I am sad to read this news.  I always enjoyed what HTT had to say.  Gramps really knew the game.  I will miss his wise and pointed commentary.

May he rest in peace.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 07/30/13 at 04:50 PM ET

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/30/13 at 05:39 PM ET

Heh.  In retrospect, maybe I started posting the officials calling the game for Jeff’s GDTs because Gramps was growling in my ear and barking his mantra, “Injuries and OFFICIATING.  Get that in there.”

And I do recall a TSN powwow where Bob McKenzie and Darren Pang were discussing about how the Yotes’ staff adjusted for referees calling their games.  It proved Gramps’ “Injuries and OFFICIATING” point that it wasn’t just about referees making bad calls, but in HOW they call the game.

The man’s observant powers are forever etched in this blog.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/30/13 at 05:10 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Aw shit. RIP Gramps.

Wow…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/30/13 at 05:43 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

//stick taps//

... you will be missed. HTT.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/30/13 at 05:53 PM ET

justin13's avatar

Sad news. Appreciate the post, Chief.

Posted by justin13 from Boulder on 07/30/13 at 05:53 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Thank you indeed for sharing the laptop story. Although I am new here, I can certainly read btw the lines and see how a great person he was. A shame that I was not part of this blog way sooner.

Posted by gowings from MTL on 07/30/13 at 05:54 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

He was a tremendous person and will be truly missed. RIP, Todd.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/30/13 at 05:57 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Rest in peace, Gramps. It was good to know you and read your things.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/30/13 at 06:16 PM ET

calquake's avatar

The true measure of a man is the legacy he leaves behind.  Gramps was a ‘character’ in the most positive sense of the word.  I always enjoyed our back and forth.  I am forever grateful I got to meet him at H2H.  He was a fine man.  We, the 18,

Posted by calquake on 07/30/13 at 06:23 PM ET

calquake's avatar

will miss him dearly.

Posted by calquake on 07/30/13 at 06:24 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Hey, I have a very funny joke with an attached photo Todd emailed me several years ago. If one of you cool kids with the know how wants to post it up, I will email it to you. Drop me a line at

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by dougie on 07/30/13 at 06:42 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

“Go Rest High on that Mountain…..” sending special thoughts and prayers to Todd & His family and the A2Y family.  HHT will be missed!
Hugs!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 07/30/13 at 07:07 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

some pics I had from H2H:

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/30/13 at 07:15 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by dougie on 07/30/13 at 07:42 PM ET

from HTT via dougie:

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

I think I figured it out… it took me a little while… I was distracted!

Find the Canadian

A favorite pastime in Florida - play Find the Canadian!

This week’s challenge is especially difficult.

View the attached candid photograph and use logic to locate the clues that will let you find the Canadian!

Do you have the skill?

Do you have the ability?

Do you know enough about your Northern Cousins?

Can You FIND THE CANADIAN?

Taking notes is permissible but try to limit your time

to no more than 5 min utes!? Good luck!

o

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/30/13 at 07:33 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Uh 3rd from left… what is going on up there…

Posted by pgoody on 07/30/13 at 07:42 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Injuries and officiating, fellas.  Injuries and officiating.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/30/13 at 08:07 PM ET

monkey's avatar

No more 19. The idea will always be there. We all know what it stands for and who it represents. But it’s no more.

It’s the 18 now.  Rest easy Todd.  Give ‘em Hell from up there and keep us in line down here. As you always did

I don’t get this.  He doesn’t stop being a member of the 19.  He didn’t give up his decoder ring or throw away his underoos.  19 is.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/30/13 at 08:23 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Rest your soul Todd.  There will always be an open seat on the Hasek for you.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/30/13 at 08:45 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Thanks for sharing the anecdote, Chief, Todd was an amazing person and fan.  And thanks stonehands-78 for sharing the picture of Todd giving me an earful of his wisdom and wit, it was my absolute pleasure to talk with Gramps.

The 19 and myself were honoured at H2H to finally put a face to the eyepatch, he was a wealth of knowledge and a truly informed perspective on all matters.  Whether you agreed with him or not, one always respected the way in which he tried to share his perspective.  For a cranky and opinionated man he never came across as arrogant, something we all can learn from.

A2Y has lost a vital member but I agree that the 19 must live on in order to acknowledge that while he is no longer with us, his wisdom and heart remains within all of us.

RIP Todd, I will miss reading your thoughts and opinions.  May your eyepatch hang behind the bar aboard the Stress Train forever, mounted on a plaque reading “Injuries and Officiating”.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 07/30/13 at 08:46 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Sad news today with Gramps’s passing. He was one of the best at   telling it like it was comments. No sugar coating or flowery prose in his musings. We need to have a Gramps banner raising ceremony here when the next season starts.

He is the legend here at A to Y and needs to be recognized.

RIP HTT

Glad to hear the tributes from the 19. The best fake family ever.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 07/30/13 at 08:48 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I do not recall how i first happened upon HTT.  I am thinking it was many years ago when I first started posting on the KK members pages (before the Chief enlisted me to write on his page).  Anyhow, Todd was a wealth of hockey knowledge, and he always was available to answer my novice questions.  I too had the great pleasure to meet him at the inaugural A2Y H2H.

Many of the 19 have come and gone over the years, for a variety of reasons.  But, as I recall, Todd is the first of us to be truly gone; and that just sucks.  He has forgotten more about hockey than I could ever hope to know, and he was kind enough to share that with all of us, for that he should be honored as we can.

18.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/30/13 at 09:16 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

The best fake family ever.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 07/30/13 at 09:48 PM ET

This.