Abel to Yzerman

Expectation Management

I read a comment from our resident pharmacist this morning, HockeyinHD.  Naturally, HD found an opportunity to profess his genius through the use of powerpoint, above-the-fray logic and shoddy sentence structure.  His point? The Wings will get trounced, but we should be satisfied by the effort it took to even get this far.

While I think HD is a tiny man with serious esteem issues?

I happen to agree.

If the Wings had won Friday against Carolina this would be an entirely different conversation.   But they didn't and they're going to pay the price in the worst possible way.  This summer, our Uncle Mike will not look at the inevitable loss to Boston and grit his teeth, it will be game 81 against the pathetic Hurricanes that will haunt him.

Because we would have beaten Pittsburgh.

We will not beat Boston.

The odds are too high. They're too deep.  Asking James Tiberius Howard to steal 4 games against that team is just too much. They're too tough, a machine. Drago.

Right?  I mean, there is no chance, is there?  Certainly not.

We shouldn't give any weight to the thought that Mike Babcock, the most brilliant hockey mind (minus a steel plate) on earth, has five days to prepare, right?  No way a coach can make that much difference when you have two teams so widely separated in talent and grit like these two.  No way.  I mean, we've never seen an 8 seed change their style, or leverage their existing style, to defeat a heavy favorite..have we?  I've searched my memory banks all the way back to '07 and I just can't find an example of that.

Should I go a year further?  What?  Oh...2006.  Yes.

No one, not a single person on the planet, is predicting a Wing victory in this series.  Fewer people picked Edmonton in '06.

Dwayne Roloson beat us in '06. Craig MacTavish trapped us and beat us.  It was horrific.

But it can't happen again.  Boston's too good.

Right?

Unless the Wings win one of the first two.  I think I read that somewhere.  I'll have to check.  But I think I may have read it right here.

30 April 2013

We need at least one in ridiculous Anaheim.  Game 1 would be preferable, but we'll take 2 if it's offered.  Give us both and it will be on whore-style.

Interesting, isn't it? Wouldn't it be?  Wouldn't it be just downright intriguing if the Wings came back to the Joe next Tuesday with a split?  Of course, it can't happen. The odds are just too tall.  We don't have the guns. Datsyuk is healing.  Nyquist can't seem to score with 13 back in. Franzen has disappeared, of course. Zetterberg is out for the first round...wait. What?

“It’s good news he’s going to skate with the team (Tuesday), but the bigger news is how does he feel on Wednesday,” Holland continued. “Then, if feels good enough to skate on Wednesday then the next bigger news will be how does he feel to skate on Thursday.”

Well, that's just downright quirky.

Forget about it, though. I'm sure the Captain won't be back.  Just stow it away and forget it was mentioned. Certainly his return is just too much to consider. And I'm sure he'd be all rusty and slow and fragile. I'm also sure that if he came back the team wouldn't get any sort of emotional lift. Plus, it's not like he's ever done anything in the playoffs before.  He kind of withers in April, doesn't he?

Just be happy we got in.  Temper yourselves. Listen to our savant, HockeyinHD.  Listen to him. Bow down.

Oh...and the Kronwall thing over at the SBN cookie cutter, Boston style? Yes, I saw it.  Cute.  Sounds like some of our JV stuff about five years ago.  I don't like to brag, but we've done it better, for far longer.

Anyway. It's Monday. Gary's not letting us play until Friday.  I'm sure that's another reason we're doomed.  All that time off. Too much rest for, I don't know...Datsyuk and Alfredsson.

And Zetterberg.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

I expect them to win the Stanley Cup, anything less will be a disappointment.

Posted by wingsnut25 from Cheboygan, MI on 04/14/14 at 03:03 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

It’s so good to have you back, Chief.

tick…tick…tick…

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/14/14 at 03:03 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Wow. Encouraged

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/14/14 at 03:03 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I actually think we can beat Boston. Granted, Rask is more likely to steal games than Jimmy, but Boston is beatable. It’d probably take 7 and it would not be be pretty - and let’s face it, it’s sure not likely - but it’s possible.

And while it’s fun to express cockiness towards Pitt, and they are definitely no Bruins, they are still a pretty damn good team and would likely beat us too, or at least it would also probably go to 7 if we were to pull it off.

To me it’s not so much an issue of whether we CAN beat Boston (there’s parity now remember?), but rather at what cost. If we somehow get through Boston, we are going to be one hobbled group. If they even lose a game to us, let alone two or three, their mantra is going to be about getting more and more physical. That’s how they respond. If they get outplayed, they want blood. Winning will be a hell of a lot more painful than losing.

Fingers crossed Tampa pulls out their series, because even our kids looked slow and old against Montreal the last two times we played them. I can’t imagine how we’ll look against them after a Boston series.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/14/14 at 03:09 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Been lurking all day. It’s the Playoffs. Anything goes. wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/14/14 at 03:14 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

2006 does not exist, that is all.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/14/14 at 03:19 PM ET

Primis's avatar

It’s weird, Chief.

This is the second year in a row that mid-April’s come and I have no expectations myself.  I myself stated earlier in the season that the Wings wouldn’t make the playoffs with that atrocious back end.  But I guess I forgot Leafs Gonna’ Leaf… so here we are.

Last spring was interesting.  It was interesting to go brush aside Anaheim and RUIN their season completely while Frick and Frack threw temper tantrum meltdowns now immortalized in GIF form and Teemu got those early tee times he’s always been accustomed to.  It was interesting to size up a cocky Chicago squad and fanbase and watch them learn a lesson they won’t make again probably this year or next.  Hawks and their fans were licking their chops to get the Wings, then basically regretted it happening at all.  Hammer and nail indeed…

Last year it was about burning down the West on our way out.  We didn’t quite Sherman it I guess, we more Cleveland River On Fire’d it…. but we left our mark anyways.

This year there’s not really a mark to make, as I see.  Not sticking it to the West.  No points to make to the East because they in a way were already made by making the playoffs with half or more of an AHL squad.  Now it’s just…. let’s see how hungry these kids really are.  And let’s see what Boston is really made of,.. because the media has already awarded them the Cup.

Posted by Primis on 04/14/14 at 03:25 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Oh…and the Kronwall thing over at the SBN cookie cutter, Boston style? Yes, I saw it.  Cute.  Sounds like some of our JV stuff about five years ago.  I don’t like to brag, but we’ve done it better, for far longer.

Anyway. It’s Monday. Gary’s not letting us play until Friday.  I’m sure that’s another reason we’re doomed.  All that time off. Too much rest for, I don’t know…Datsyuk and Alfredsson.

I wish I as as good on Friday as you are on a Monday Chief.  I don’t think the Wings’ chances are as bad as everyone seem to think they are, no wonder what the KK-fart-smeller-in-chief says.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/14/14 at 03:33 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

The Pen(i)s worried me more than the Bs.  They have Gary’s mandated four extra teammates on the ice, after all.  Can’t have the evil Wings outdo Gary and Mario’s love child.

Wings in six.  Bitches.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/14/14 at 03:34 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I have playoff fever..

The way I see it, we weren’t supposed to make the playoffs so we have absolutely nothing to lose.  In some ways, I like our chances better against Boston than the Penguins.

I just hate having to wait until Friday.  It’s going to be a very long week.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/14/14 at 03:38 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I wish I as as good on Friday as you are on a Monday Chief.  I don’t think the Wings’ chances are as bad as everyone seem to think they are, no matter what the KK-fart-smeller-in-chief says.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/14/14 at 04:33 PM ET

Anyway, is Boston all that different than Anaheim if you get right down to it?  More talented maybe.  A lot of Wings fans seem to be hedging, and the rest of the hockey world seems less sure about Boston.  I sure feel better about the Bruins than I did about the Predators two years ago.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/14/14 at 03:42 PM ET

Chet's avatar

getting past boston could mean a long run.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/14/14 at 03:43 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Anyway, is Boston all that different than Anaheim if you get right down to it?

Tuukka Rask is one of the best goalies if not the best goalie in hockey this year. That in and of itself worries me. I would much rather face Fleury or any of the Duck goalies.

I think these Bruins are way better than Anaheim. I think they have a closer resemblance to the 2007 cup winning Ducks than last year’s Ducks. I mean, not saying we can’t win (I think WE are also way better than we were last year), but let’s not pretend the Bruins aren’t monsters.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/14/14 at 04:03 PM ET

A beating?  I see it as our kids earning their NHL playoff calluses.  Just play.  Wherever the flow.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/14/14 at 04:08 PM ET

If I see one “Boston Strong” reference during the series I’m going puke all over my television screen. Fu*k these chowder heads.

Posted by godblender on 04/14/14 at 04:11 PM ET

That sequence of sentences was fabulous, although being lectured on behavior and, of all things, humility by someone whose schtick revolved entirely around frontrunning dismissiveness, arrogance and a joyful embrace of all things Toddler (at least before he cut out ahead of a rough season), that was the truly delightful bit of comically absent self-awareness.

Unintentionally supplied hilarity aside, Detroit doesn’t/didn’t have a realistic chance to beat Pittsburgh either.  A better chance than Boston, certainly, but they’d be a prohibitive underdog in either series.  The only real chance here (or there) is the deal where Howard goes crazy hot and Fleury/Rask goes crazy cold, which is the same chance that exists in every playoff series.

We’ll see.  It’ll be a fairly relaxed playoff-watching season though, comparatively.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/14/14 at 04:13 PM ET

HeilThom's avatar

You make me want to fight bears.

Posted by HeilThom from Hockeytown, USA on 04/14/14 at 04:19 PM ET

Posted by pgoody on 04/14/14 at 05:17 PM ET

“This content is currently unavailable.”

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/14/14 at 04:21 PM ET

BTW, the awesome awood has posted a Detroit Red Wings: Best of 2013-2014 compilation vid.  All 23 minutes is worth it.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/14/14 at 04:23 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Thank you. I found it fabulous, as well. However, I wasn’t lecturing you on behavior. I was pointing out the fact that you’re a deliberately contrarian prick. I don’t dismiss anything and I am absolutely a front runner.  When you’re a Wing fan, you’re kind of forced to be one, because they’re the best organization in all of sports.

All things toddler? You bet.  I’ve never denied that.

Cut out? Not quite, but I do remember you predicting I would.  Employment is employment.  I’m sure that when the pharmacy gets busy it’s tough for you to grace us with your prose.

You’re a sideshow, HD. A time waster.  It’s fun having you around, especially when weeks like this pop up and we all get restless and bored.  Game times roll around and you’re forgotten like the others who have come and gone.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/14/14 at 04:26 PM ET

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/14/14 at 05:03 PM ET

Except when he’s played Detroit.  Even if you take out the game he gave up 6 (though I don’t know why you would) his 2.33 GAA is pretty good, but his .904 save percentage is poor.  Include the game Rask gave up 6 and you’re looking at a 3.25 GAA and a .871 save percentage, both of which are very poor.

I’m not saying I expect Rask to play poorly, I just don’t see him as the difference maker in this series.  To me it’s going to come down firstly to how Jimmy plays, and secondly how the D in front of him plays.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/14/14 at 04:27 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

All those years the Wings were the Favorites and then lost, or were pushed to 7 games in rounds 1 & 2 are now just a distant memory.

Were the lowly 8th seed…. We just squeaked in….I LOVE IT!!!!

When the Wings steal game 1 in “beantown”  I want a close up of the look on Chara’s giant face as he tries to figure out what the Hell just happened????
cheese

Posted by Down River Dan on 04/14/14 at 04:31 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/14/14 at 05:27 PM ET

Flip those, because Jimmy is, and has been, at the mercy f the D in front of him.

Posted by Primis on 04/14/14 at 04:51 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 04/14/14 at 05:51 PM ET

I agree the D has made Jimmy’s job more difficult, but if the D plays great they can’t help if Jimmy’s letting in softies.  Where as if Jimmy’s playing great he can make up for the D’s turnovers.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/14/14 at 04:58 PM ET

achinaz's avatar

Lies from Kenny about Ouellet and Sproul:

“They’re going to stay here the next three days so that they know our system so that they’re involved in all our preparations on Boston and the Boston series,” Holland said in a phone interview Monday. “Then, in all likelihood they’re probably going back. But if we have an injured defenseman and we need to call one up they know what we’re doing.”

Learn the system?  Preparations?  Injuries?  Hah.  Tryouts for bottom D pair started on Sunday in St. Louis.

Posted by achinaz from the counter at Lafayette Coney Island on 04/14/14 at 05:02 PM ET

NickLidstrom's avatar

I don’t necessarily agree, Primis. The Wings D isn’t great, but they’re not as awful as they’re made out to be. The Wings as a 5 man unit commit to defense first. They’re in the middle of the league in GAA and in the middle/better half of the league in shots against per game. Yet they’re team sv% is in the lower 3rd. They also had the 12th best PK in the league.

Howard has given up a lot of softies or hasn’t been able to make the right save at the right time. I think this is evidenced by the fact that Mrazek, and up until his last start, the Monster, had better peripherals than Howard this season. He is also awful at playing the puck at a basic level which sets his d-men up for failure. I’m not expecting him to be Marty Brodeur back there, but at least stop the puck behind the net on a basic dump-in. I think Babcock was very telling yesterday when he said that Mrazek was even better at controlling the puck than he was at stopping it.

Jimmy last year was a lot better than he was this year. He was very good in the playoffs. His play, “weak” defense aside, will make the biggest difference for the team.

Posted by NickLidstrom from a Higher Ground on 04/14/14 at 05:06 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

much, much better Chief   wink

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 04/14/14 at 05:16 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by SYF from the Swedish Ice Mafia on 04/14/14 at 05:23 PM ET

awesome   cheese

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 04/14/14 at 05:33 PM ET

perfection's avatar

speaking of Monster, good to see he’s gonna be ready to go. Not that I want to see him as that means things aren’t going well, but a backup who you aren’t afraid to use can be a definite weapon in the playoffs (see Ozzie 2008).

I think Jimmy will have to show up and have faith in him he will. But I think Rask is going to show up too. The one thing that we definitely have in our favor is that ALL of the pressure is square on them.

Stealing one of the first couple would be a great start and I think would double that pressure and make for a hell of a series… just like Chicago last year. But of course, just like Chicago last year… you know… we gotta finish.

I wonder how many times the Bruins video staff is cueing up Gus skating around the Pylon and roofing Rask? That’s definitely one way to lose.

I really can’t wait for these playoffs. There are so many entertaining first round match ups.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/14/14 at 05:47 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Anyway, is Boston all that different than Anaheim if you get right down to it

Anaheim was faster. Boston down the middle is the big difference to me. Must get on top of their second and third pair, and try to hold Bergeron line in check.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/14/14 at 05:52 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

haha love how on the NHL page the Fan poll for the playoffs Pens have the least amount of votes on which game we’ll be watching tongue laugh

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 04/14/14 at 05:53 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I don’t expect the Wings to win this series. I didn’t expect them to make the playoffs after the international break with how crippled the team was. But I do expect them to play their young or injured little hearts out and give the B’s one hell of a fight.

If the boys in red give it their all I wont be disappointed with the season or the series, regardless of the outcome. And despite my lack of expectations, I won’t be surprised if they do pull off a win either.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/14/14 at 06:02 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I’m with this 100%

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/14/14 at 07:46 PM ET

wedge56's avatar

I tend to think that Boston and not the Wings got the unlucky first round draw here.

Posted by wedge56 on 04/14/14 at 08:28 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

The only thing im sure of is that Gary and his band of circus clowns in stripes will try to fuch us out of our Gord given right.

But even taking that as a given, there is no reason that the Wings cant take Boston in a series.

Posted by Hootinani on 04/14/14 at 09:04 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by pgoody on 04/14/14 at 09:04 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Wings in six.  Bitches.

Agreed. Pittsburgh always get the calls in critical situations? Coincidence? Yea right. If the Red Wings stick to their system, they could give Boston fits.

Posted by bigfrog on 04/14/14 at 10:03 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I still have a picture in my head of Nyquist blowing by Chara, making him look like a big, slow, dumb oaf.  The Wings took 3 of 4 from Boston in the regular season.

Anything can happen in any given hockey game.

Just. Win.