Abel to Yzerman

Eastern Conference? Meet Ken Holland, The Real Ken Holland

Ottawa's a division rival.  Hi. Ken Holland stole your captain.

Florida's a division rival. Hello. Ken Holland stole your co-captain.

Boston's a divsion favorite. Greetings.  Ken Holland nabbed Daniel Alfredsson from under your noses.

And he might not be done yet.

I can't figure out the combinations yet but I do know the Wings have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Weiss, Alfredsson and Nyquist, plus third and fourth lines (no matter the combinations) that rival anyone's.

And rumblings of Brendan Morrow are out there too...accompanied by a lot of head shaking.  I wanted him at the deadline, or whenever it was that Pittsburgh got him last year, and I'd take him now.  Holland likes him. Uncle Mike likes him and, consequently, so do I.

It's been a huge day already. Huge. TSN "experts" are calling the Wings the Eastern Conference favorites. That's a bit much, but it does say this: "rebuilding" is not an option. Ever.  Retooling, on the fly and without a thought to taking a step back, is the only acceptable mode for this franchise.

Five years we've been waiting for this Kenny. Five frigging years.  Nice job so far.

Hello Eastern Conference. Meet the Wings.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

Down River Dan's avatar

Well , I guess from the above comments Kenny gets to keep his job for a least another season eh?

I’m sure he’ll sleep easier tonight.

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/05/13 at 04:53 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Believe he’s talking about the prospects camp next week that Helm will be attending to test out his back, not the September camp.
Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/05/13 at 04:46 PM ET

Helm is not healthy right now as prospect camp starts. I think Kenny meant training camp. I think Helene had a Freudian slip. I Love Helm. I have a 43 jersey, but I am not optimistic he will play again.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/05/13 at 04:56 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Brunner-Andersson-Nyquist was the second line. And Brunner lead the team in playoff goals with 9. Sure seemed like second line material to me at a time when it really counted, in the NHL playoffs.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/05/13 at 04:46 PM ET

Filppula, Franzen, and Cleary, all logged as much ice time as the Flying Circus line throughout the playoffs.

For Game 7, Brunner was on the ice for 10:44 and Andersson only saw 11:17 despite the second line center being knocked out of the game.

Cool? Cool.

Posted by SK77 on 07/05/13 at 05:00 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Here Dennis, Helm is playing in the summer camp, says George M.

Update #2: ONE MORE THING: Darren Helm told Piet Van Zant that he’s feeling good going into the summer development camp, and Holland felt that having Datsyuk/Zetterberg, Weiss, Helm and Andersson would be huge up the middle.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/05/13 at 05:06 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Detroit Red Wings     ✔ @DetroitRedWings

Holland on Brunner: “We made a 2 & 3 year offer prior to noon today. He made the decision to test the market.”

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/05/13 at 05:10 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Jeebus Weiss had a shitty year last year…

Posted by pgoody on 07/05/13 at 06:13 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Wrist surgery will do that to a man.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/05/13 at 06:15 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Great day for the Wings.  Good moves all around.

Hah! Not with the 19….I give him till mid August, then the “off with his head” calls will begin…...

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 07/05/13 at 06:28 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Wrist surgery will do that to a man.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/05/13 at 06:15 PM ET

Ya the points were gonna be down, but did you see his +/-  yikes… in just 17 games… -13

Posted by pgoody on 07/05/13 at 06:36 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Ottawa fans are understandably upset, but some of the things they are saying on their blogs are pretty crazy.  They think the “old” wings are division bottom feeders next year, and are pretty pissed he would pick Detroit to win a cup with.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 07/05/13 at 07:57 PM ET

dougie's avatar

.I give him till mid August, then the “off with his head” calls will begin…...
Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, sipping rum, tanning, chillaxing on 07/05/13 at 06:28 PM ET

Rummy, you are ever the optimist.

It will start back as soon as someone realizes that another team stole the missing piece to 3 consecutive Cups, George Parros, while Kenny wasn’t looking.

Or some equally ridiculous shit. I mean signing Alfredsson is gonna TOTALLY mess up the pressbox /fourth line dynamic. What the hell was Kenny thinking?

Sorry, I wasn’t gonna stir the pot, but 4 pints of IPA, and I gotta take a shot or two. I wish I was a better human being, but apparently I have a burning desire to tell people who need to STFU to STFU.

I’m done now.

wink

Posted by dougie on 07/05/13 at 08:48 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Hola bitches. So its Alfredsson and Weiss added and Flip and Swissie gone. I wanted Alfie 2 years ago at the deadline but the Sens decided to get hot and make the playoffs. Thanks parity.

We shall see what Weiss will bring with what basically is a trade for Wally.

Please let Cleary go and let the youngins fight it out for his slot. Much more work to do to clear the log jam.

Kenny biggest move so far….. Extending Pavs. Just sayin. Anyone agree?

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 07/05/13 at 09:00 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

awesome Chief simply awesome   LOL

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/05/13 at 09:04 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/05/13 at 04:46 PM ET

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/05/13 at 04:56 PM ET

sorry you are wrong about that
(( Wings general manager Ken Holland said during the conference call to introduce forwards Daniel Alfredsson and Stephen Weiss that he fully expects Darren Helm healthy and ready for training camp in Traverse City.

“Darren Helm is feeling very good,” Holland said. “Darren Helm is a real key piece to our team and hopefully in Traverse City next week we get good news that he’s on the ice and can push and feels good and we can expect to see a healthy Darren Helm in training camp.”

Helm is going to take part in the Wings’ annual prospects development camp July 10-15 in Traverse City to test out his back.))

quote from Maliks blog ...

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/05/13 at 09:16 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

from the Ottawa sens web site opening page ....  Classy Sens ... very classy

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/05/13 at 09:59 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

The thing I’m most excited about with the Wings moving to the east.. People getting Kronwalled cause they aren’t expecting it cause we didn’t play a whole lot of eastern teams. Now.. a new chapter is upon him with new targets.

I also dig the Swede Five Idea that I saw somewhere. Alfie, Z, Loafer.. Kronner and Big Rig.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/05/13 at 10:05 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Bonjour Bitches. Just dropped by to say I really like our Team. Don’t care that we missed out on Brunner. He may bloom into a bonafide NHLer. He may not. He has never played more than a 50 game season in the softer Euro leagues. It’s not gonna be easy to handle the grueling 80+games regular season along with a (hopefully) long playoff run.  I like him well enough, but….....let the games begin.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/05/13 at 10:24 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Bonjour, Kate. Good to see ya and the rest of the 19. Can we drop the puck already?

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/05/13 at 10:26 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Kenny biggest move so far….. Extending Pavs. Just sayin. Anyone agree?

Oh hell yes!

Best. Player. Ever.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/05/13 at 10:32 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/05/13 at 10:26 PM ET

Aye, Ror. Thanks wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/05/13 at 10:34 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

You’re welcome, Kate. smile

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/05/13 at 10:37 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Bonjour!
Yeah, no doubt about it, Detroit is no longer a preferred destination !  YaK !

“I always dreamed of playing for the Red Wings someday,” Weiss said.  It was a pretty easy decision to come and play for the Red Wings organization. It’s been a culture of winning over the years. Their goal every year is to win a Stanley Cup and to come to a team and be a part of that is really exciting. I’m thrilled to be given this opportunity to come to this team.”

“Everyone knows Detroit’s goals are always to be at the top of the game and to win championships,’’ Alfredsson said. “I’m really excited to get this opportunity at this stage of my career to go for a Stanley Cup and fulfill a longtime dream.’‘

“I just really liked the way Detroit plays hockey,” Alfredsson said. “It’s a puck possession game and I just think that with the personnel they have throughout their lineup I could come in and be of help in different areas and be part of something really good.”

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/05/13 at 10:38 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Bill - I think with the Wings going to the East now.. players are all on board with coming to Hockeytown. That travel crap sucked donkey balls.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/05/13 at 10:48 PM ET

SK77's avatar

That travel crap sucked donkey balls.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/05/13 at 10:48 PM ET

No doubt, talk about a huge negative when considering signing with a team. Glad those days are over.

Posted by SK77 on 07/05/13 at 10:50 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Posted by some kid on 07/05/13 at 10:50 PM ET

If I were some bad ass hockey dude, I wouldn’t wanna sign either considering all that time they spent on the west coast. I’d rather sign out in the west coast.. or with an Eastern team.. like the Free Agents did. But now.. Different story.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/05/13 at 10:53 PM ET

Primis's avatar

So…. huh.

1.) I’m quite impressed Holland did stuff.  I’ll be even more impressed if he can swing a trade, any trade, that does not involve only the words “conditional draft pick” coming back.  But he did stuff.  Alfie to an extent fell in his lap again I guess but…. Weiss not so much.  Lot of teams were after Weiss, including the Blosers.

2.) I don’t know overall.  *shrug*  On paper, in the NHL 14 kind of way, this team now looks immeasurably better with two experienced forwards.  The questions though… can Alfie still skate (pace!) and does he have anything left?...  Is Weiss “broken” or just been unlucky, and can he player better around better players?...  I don’t know if it’s real world improvement or not I guess.

And part of me sighs and goes “Alfredsson and Weiss, there’s our youth movement I guess”.  While a skilled bottom six is nice and valuable, at some point those kids have to get top six icetime, no?

Overall I’m not pessimistic.  I’m not optimistic.  I don’t know what I am yet…

3.) The trade that seems inevitable to everyone for a d-man is… complicated.  Philly would be the most-obvious partner, but already has too many signed players.  They’re going to look to offload some, not get a couple back.  So DET’s going to have to look elsewhere to make it happen.

I’m nervous about carrying this many guys though.  I know Holland has stated they’d carry too many into camp but…. screw that.  Be working the phones NOW while they have some value.

And even if you take the Red Wings part of it all out…. what a weird, weird hockey day.  Today was, if nothing else, the reality of our new division rivals came to focus I guess.  Still very hard to think of the Wings as an Eastern team and the Sens, Leafs, Habs, and Bruins as “rivals”, let alone Sabres, Lightning, and Panthers..

What a weird new hockey world we’ve stepped into, folks.  We’re going to be the focus of derision from fishbowls like Montreal and Toronto now.  And the people running those two teams are OUT OF THEIR MINDS given what happened today.

Posted by Primis on 07/05/13 at 11:43 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by Primis on 07/05/13 at 11:43 PM ET

How true ... gonna be an intgeresting season coming up ... but after Datsyuk re-signing and then today I am really looking forward to it. I certainly did not think we would end up with the 2 we got. I can’t wait for the season to start !!!

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/05/13 at 11:59 PM ET

Yzersyuk's avatar

Ya know, my biggest disappointment is the apparent lack of concern about signing Brunner. He showed some inconsistency throughout the year but also showed some amazing upside and potential. He should be inked to a decent long term contract. Why not, hes a rookie who seems to only be getting better.

That said the signing’s of Alfredsson and Weiss seem pretty acceptable. The acquisition of a nearly point per player game who is a RIGHT HANDED SHOT and is cup hungry (holy bogonguz i like that attitude) makes me happy as shit.

To be honest when Gabrovski was bought out I thought he should have been our number one must have. But Weiss was ready to sign and a close second. He put up great numbers throughout most of his career with an understaffed and underachieving Florida panthers team. He also is already emotionally attached to the red wings organization, my only concern: how is that wrist?

I still think holland has a lot left to do here if I must be honest. Our team is overripe with great prospects, trade-able assets and , hopefully, a desire for greatness. One trade, two could get it done for this team. I think one big player upfront could get it done, a la the recently recruited Bobby Ryan(Ricky Bobby?). I think one real upgrade in a skilled puck-handling D-man could also make real strides in solidify the potential humongous combo of -Kronner, EricSONudoingreat, Dekeyser, Kindl, Lashoff-, and yes Quincey (who’s maturity on the Avs((I kno. . .)) was at least a bit impressive, and who’s size is a-o-k with me).

Will it happen, not sure, back to lurking. . .

also if that’s my D so far

Forwards: Z-Dats-Alfie, Nyquist(will despair if not signed)-Weiss-Franzen(fuchin Moose), Tatar-Helm(prays)-Miller(where be thou BROOner), Eaves-Emmerton(or Andersson)-A Prospect seeing ice time or an expendable assent Example:Bertuzzi.

Ok I’m actually done now.

Posted by Yzersyuk on 07/06/13 at 03:42 AM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/05/13 at 10:48 PM ET

I was wondering about this, myself. Would Alfie have considered coming to the Wings if they were still in the WC?

Posted by SandysWingingit on 07/06/13 at 08:52 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

HOLY hell.  A guy spends a few days away from the intranets and the Wings go nuts buying up everything like a sailor on shore leave in the Phillipines….only with a little less penicillin.

Weiss AND Alfredson…I have to say, I don’t know what to say.  I"ve always dug watching Alfredson play but I admit I don’t know alot about Weiss except that they used to call him Wieserman because…oh who am I kidding…I can’t even finish that thought because it’d find me getting struck by lightning.

Hope ya’ll had a good 4th.  Happy birthday ‘Merica!

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 07/06/13 at 09:00 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

One wonders about Alfredsson’s age, but heck, 40 is the new 38.  He was first or second among forwards in Ottawa last year for TOI, PP TOI, and PK TOI, still a lot of first rate tools.  I bet he’s a better skater than Franzen.  I don’t know, we’ll see.

Picking up Weiss is not abandoning the youth movement, dude is only 1 year older than Filppula and entering what is the prime of his career, with 10 years of knowledge and tricks on how to play efficiently and save energy, where to be on the ice, along with an aggressive attitude and good skills.

Brunner had spurts of showing a goal scorer’s touch, something Detroit certainly has been losing over the past couple of, well, past 10 years.  But, it was Brunner’s decision to go elsewhere and capitalize on this NHL opportunity that Detroit took all the risk to make happen for him.

I think we’re probably going to be better offensively and as a team with Albertsson and Weiss then we were with Filppula and Brunner.

The $3M Samuelsson albatross still concerns me, now stuck with that after not being able to buy him out.  I’m not even sure they wanted to buy him out, that would have had to have been filed long before they knew they were picking up these two.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/06/13 at 09:52 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I am not concerned about Brunner because after basically only half a season, he’s overvaluing himself.  DET doesn’t need that kind of sh*t.  Not when a guy like Tatar (who has more upside, and more fire) has waited, and waited, and waited…

Posted by Primis on 07/06/13 at 10:08 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Primis on 07/06/13 at 10:08 AM ET

Agree. Plus Tartar has been developed within the Wings system. Brunner is looking for the big payday, and, that’s fine. He may even make the grade someday. That’s my opinion. Some here will argue he already has. That is their opinion.

I tend to like players that are looking towards winning The Cup.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/06/13 at 11:51 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I asked for several days on various blogs WHO or WHAT was the determining authority regarding the injury status for purposes of compliance buyout ineligibility, never got an answer.

Should have asked me, Bill.

It’s right in the SPC. I’ll paraphrase for brevity.

1. Team Doctor says healthy or not
2. Player has option to have his own physician give a second opinion
3. If those opinions don’t match, a third doctor is agreed upon to give his determination as to whether the player is healthy enough to play.

This whole process can take about a week to settle, perhaps longer (but it is supposed to be expedited and if one side drags their heels, they could find themselves settling a grievance before they even get to the injury grievance.

Put simply, if the Wings don’t have the sign-off of a majority of doctors (of no more than 3), then they simply can’t buy the player out. To try to do so would be a violation of the CBA and would open them up to punishment at the commissioner’s discretion.

The third doctor’s opinion is considered binding, so the only opportunity they’d have to grieve that is if they had any evidence the guy made a biased call. It’d be crazy-difficult to prove that.

- - -

The consideration on top of all this is that this process doesn’t necessarily have to be shared. It’s completely possible that the Wings declared him healthy and he had his doctor disagree and it died there. It’s also possible that they went to a third doc and it was decided.

Among the other possibilities, we have to consider that the Wings simply didn’t want to go to a third source because they don’t trust that it would be kept secret and it’s a potential PR nightmare (especially with potential free agents) to be the team who fought this hard for the ability to buy a guy out. While it’s pragmatically acceptable to do this, players don’t always make their decisions so unemotionally. Fighting with a guy who says he’s hurt just so you can dump him on the free agent market looks like a dick move.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/06/13 at 12:25 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Shit, I’m going to have to change my avatar.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/06/13 at 12:29 PM ET

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 07/06/13 at 09:00 AM ET

And a lot more fried chicken cooked in two-cycle motor oil.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/06/13 at 12:58 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

hello?  is there anybody in here?  just nod if you can hear me.  is there anyone at home?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 09/09/13 at 01:27 PM ET