Abel to Yzerman

Does the Fun Ever Start?

Once again it's time for some "Red Wings Hockey..."

... and I think that loosely translates to "Play for 20 minutes or so, let the opposition walk all over you, then lose in extra time," right? Are you having as much trouble not soiling your Pavel Datsyuk Underoos with excitement as I am? Is your Everclear-soaked brainpan ready for the sheer brilliance in store for us tonight? If my cynicism seems excessive, I'm still recovering from a less-than-stellar weekend, so you'll have to forgive me.

Or not, it's up to you. I really can't care.

So here's the deal: The Wings haven't won in what seems like a Howe's age; to make matters worse, the last, like, 37 losses (in a row?) have been in overtime or Gary's Gimmick. Of course, that somewhat lessens the agony of defeat with the much-maligned "loser points."

Notice I said, "somewhat."

I don't know about the rest of you degenerate reprobates, but I'm ready for a freaking win. Overtime, shootout, regulation -- hell, call the game after the first period because all the pucks get lost in the black hole that is the space between Barry Trotz' head and chest -- I don't really care at this point. Obviously I'm no neuropsychopharmacologist, and I don't have access to the A2Y interns (yet....), but someone has to do something -- ANYTHING -- to rid us of this horrid affliction. Put Smith at forward, put him in the other team's sweater, unretire TPH, give him Smith's number, and make Smitty "disappear" for a while -- whatever it takes.

Just. Fvcking. Win.

It's time to numb the pain with some narcotics, some hard liquor, and a Live Blog, Bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 4 5 6

Primis's avatar

Oh come on, man… how many times did you watch Barry Sanders juke and shake and absolutely embarrass people out of their jockstraps, all while Matt Millen ran the team into the ground?

Posted by RedMenace from Team Slovaskimo Fighting Snipers on 11/19/13 at 10:07 PM ET

Zero, because Matt Millen was hired in 2001, and Barry retired after 1998.  The two did not overlap in the least.

Holland has put the Wings in a situation that he simply can’t get them out of. That’s on him. So we’ll have to watch Cleary and Sammy make fools of themselves for another 60 games (maybe a few more if the Wings get lucky and make the playoffs). Then we’ll see what the next five years of the Wings will look like. Until then, this team is what it is.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/20/13 at 12:17 AM ET

Yup.

As I pointed out on TMR last night too, I looked at the prospective FA d-men this next offseason.  Ericsson would have actually been quite attractive to teams given his age.  The only notable is Dion Phaneuf.  Beyond that it’s a bunch of washed-up guys like Markov, Timonen, etc, and never-really-weres like Zidlicky.

Barring a stunner somewhere, there will be no d-men to sign as a FA because either Phaneuf wil re-sign in TOR or they’ll trade him to someone that’ll re-sign him.  He won’t hit open market.

There doesn’t look to be a first-pairing d-man that’ll be a FA, and with the cap crunch one would expect that even with a small cap bump teams will remain strapped for another year, so trading isn’t coming around then either.

Posted by Primis on 11/20/13 at 10:54 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Ericsson would have actually been quite attractive to teams given his age.

Ericsson is to good to give up. He is not part of the problem. Yeeesh.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/20/13 at 12:42 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Ericsson is to good to give up. He is not part of the problem. Yeeesh.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/20/13 at 12:42 PM ET

Who said he was?

I just noted that given his age, he might be one of the Top 4 or so defensive options on the market if he had made it free agency.  It’s a weak FA class for d-men.  There isn’t going to be much out there to help the Wings it looks like.  Phaneuf and Meszaros are likely to be the top two FA candidates.

Posted by Primis on 11/20/13 at 12:48 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I find the discussion about free agent defensemen interesting in light of the fact that Holland’s two “big” free agent forward signings over the summer, Weiss and Alfredsson, are currently out with groin injuries.  Seems to me the Wings’ biggest problem right now is the inability to score goals.  We got all excited when the Mule woke up for two games, but it seems he’s already gone back into hibernation.  And don’t even get me started on Cleary and Sammy - two guys I used to love but for the love of Helm, what are they doing on the roster?!?!?!?!?

Somebody commented that Andersson’s play has tailed off.  Well, how about putting Nike and Tartar Sauce back on his line.  They created all kinds of havoc in the playoffs last year.  So where the hell is that line this season?  I am beyond baffled with the roster and the line combinations right now.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 11/20/13 at 02:06 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Primis on 11/20/13 at 10:54 AM ET

So, did you purposefully ignore the very next comment I made, or just miss it entirely:

(that could be chronologically out of order, but then again *I* am out of order at this point)

Posted by RedMenace from Team Slovaskimo Fighting Snipers on 11/19/13 at 10:08 PM ET

Just asking.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 11/20/13 at 06:07 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 11/20/13 at 02:06 PM ET

It’s being discussed because even when the Wings are scoring 3 or 4 goals they’re still losing, because they’re still giving up more.  The Cup-winning teams were built from the defense out.

It’s also worth noting there were no FA d-men worth a crap this past offseason either.  The ONLY d-man that has been available since Suter signed with MIN was Bouwmeester from CGY last year via trade.  I can’t bang on Kenny for spending money on forwards this last offseason as a result I guess.

But ultimately, defense is what needs to get fixed.  We can talk about losing Lidstrom, Rafalski, and then Stuart’s unexpected departure all we want, but in the end the real problem is Smith and Kindl not exactly panning out and Kenny making a dumb trade for Quincey.

Just asking.

Posted by RedMenace from Team Slovaskimo Fighting Snipers on 11/20/13 at 06:07 PM ET

Missed it entirely, because it wasn’t even in the same comment.  Still didn’t see it until you noted it now and I looked back a page.

Posted by Primis on 11/20/13 at 11:27 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I totally get that.  But look at the Nashville game.  Only 2 goals against, a rookie goalie, and the Wings couldn’t buy a goal.  That’s what prompted my comment.  Even though the Wings manage to score two or three goals sometimes, even their best forwards are very streaky and the secondary scoring is nearly non-existent.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 11/21/13 at 07:52 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 11/21/13 at 07:52 AM ET

You have to keep in mind they’re missing 2 of their top 6 forwards though too.  Even though Weiss and Alfredsson haven’t really been scoring, they’ve been making things happen and creating.  You look at DET icing a 2nd line of Tatar-Helm-Franzen and that speaks to some of the problem.

You can’t score if you’re letting a team like NAS possess the puck though and unable to clear your own zone.  NAS is not a good team, and yet they had their way far too often.

I know we’re in a Chicken-Egg argument but… it’s hard to possess the puck and hold it in the offensive zone with inferior defensemen,  It just is.  You don’t just give u more GA’s, you also don’t score as much yourself.  They’re intertwined.

Posted by Primis on 11/21/13 at 01:18 PM ET