Abel to Yzerman

Do The New York Islanders Have Interest In Jimmy Howard?

via Larry Brooks of the New York Post,

It wouldn’t surprise me if the Islanders go after Detroit goaltender Jimmy Howard, who has one year at just under $5.92 million remaining on his contract, rather than yield a No. 1 to get Washington backup Philipp Grubauer.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

SwedeLundin83's avatar

This would be awesome. Then go out and sign a couple of UFA goalies to budget contracts and let the rebuild continue.

Posted by SwedeLundin83 on 06/09/18 at 04:27 PM ET

What would they even offer us?

Posted by Iamhaljordan on 06/09/18 at 06:39 PM ET

What would they even offer us?

Posted by Iamhaljordan

Garth Snow even up?

Posted by maltby18 on 06/09/18 at 07:08 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

PLEASE.

I like Howie, not that he is more than average now, but can we just do this rebuild correctly?

Posted by ilovehomers on 06/09/18 at 07:11 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

What would they even offer us?

Not sure?....but whatever it is…I would take it and run!!

Posted by Down River Dan on 06/09/18 at 07:38 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

What would they even offer us?

Not sure?....but whatever it is…I would take it and run!!

Posted by Down River Dan on 06/09/18 at 07:38 PM ET

Yep.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 06/09/18 at 08:03 PM ET

SwedeLundin83's avatar

They’d offer us a pick or two, perhaps… There are free agent goalies galore. We can sign 2 free agents for the cost of one Jimmy… it just makes sense in a rebuild. We need competent goaltending and I’m sure if we could get Lehtonen for 3 million for 2 years, it would not be far off of what we get from Howard.

Posted by SwedeLundin83 on 06/09/18 at 09:22 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

it just makes sense in a rebuild.

It won’t make sense to Kenny though. It will be “We don’t want to start a loosing tradition… and the guys all want to win…  and we still need to field a competitive team because that’s what the fans expect.”  Almost forgot…  “We just want to make the playoffs and once you get in you never know.”

If this does happen it would finally make me believe a corner has been turned for the better as far as the team philosophy is concerned.

And before someone says this is Kenny hate it really isn’t its just what I expect to happen based on observation over the years.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 06/10/18 at 01:14 AM ET

RGEP
He does EXPRESS the sentiment that he has embraced the rebuild. But I think your comments sound much more like reality than just hate mongering.

The problem is, there is something to the idea you don’t want to sell off all your veterans and gut your coaching, training and scouting staff. I think that’s when you end up with a situation like the Oilers where they’re terrible for years despite the constant high picks. I believe Holland when he says you need some continuity to bring the youngsters along so you don’t ruin them. I agree it would probably be beneficial to the team to sell Jimmy off if an offer is there, but I think Holland may well bring out some of your truisms and add a veneer of needing continuity on top.

Posted by teldar on 06/10/18 at 11:33 AM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Posted by teldar on 06/10/18 at 11:33 AM ET

I agree. The trick will be to balance the need to move out vets during the rebuild without loosing the RedWing
pride and way of striving to be the best. Its going to be also portant to have great staff to help fill the gaps that might arise from a less experienced roster.

I just read in the article Paul just posted that Kenny is counting on 2 new faces on the roster. That might not be enough.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 06/10/18 at 07:59 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

What would they even offer us?

“Not sure?....but whatever it is…I would take it and run!!” —-Posted by Down River Dan on 06/09/18 at 07:38 PM ET

I can’t say I agree. Thats not the way you get a 1st, 2nd, & 3rd for Tatar. It’s not the way you get 3rd-round pick for Mrazek. We need a goalie, everyone needs a goalie, & until someone offers us more than Howard-is-worth-to-the-DRW I’m not too interested in seeing him leave. Holland has gotten great returns since we became a seller, I see no reason to worry quite honestly.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 06/11/18 at 12:58 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

What would they even offer us?

Posted by alwaysaurie on 06/11/18 at 12:58 PM ET

Thats not the way you get a 1st, 2nd, & 3rd for Tatar.

Right. You get a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Tatar by being there when Vegas couldn’t make a deal for Karlsson but wanted to make a splash at the deadline anyhow.

I guess that demands the question: what is a highly-paid, 24-year-old pending UFA goalie worth to the Wings?

To me, I don’t see that he has any real worth to the Wings except as a trade chip, and that trade chip is only worth anything this off-season because no contending team is going to be trading for Jimmy Howard as their backup going into the playoffs.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/11/18 at 01:21 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Don’t just blow him out to blow him out, you only trade Howard if you get good long term value for him, does no good to jettison cap space for no reason. The wings could eat a portion of his cap, and maybe get a nice return in his place.  Not having Howard would certainly accelerate the rebuild because we would suck terribly. If Howard carried the load, hope he plays at a top caliber level and wait for a timely injury to a contenders net minder.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 06/11/18 at 03:42 PM ET

I don’t see Holland doing this for reasons others have mentioned.

I would make the trade and retain some salary for a decent return.

Pickings are slim on the UFA front and if Lou really likes Howard
and sees him as a better bet than anyone else affordable in trade,
I could see them doing it to solidify the position.

Was also wondering if Lou would try to pry Schneider out of NJ since his value is a bit lower after a couple subpar seasons.

Agree that trading or not trading Howard is not an issue to roast Holland over.
I’d like to see us make the move to accelerate the rebuild and grab another pick or two.
But it’s debatable. A solid, reliable veteran goalie can be good for development because
everyone in front of him, including green prospects, can play their position and even take a risk or two.

Posted by Lefty30 on 06/12/18 at 12:06 AM ET

Alan's avatar

I’m on the fence about all this.

On the one hand, Jimmy’s contract is a bit of an albatross. Even if it’s for only one more season, that’s a lot of money that we could put towards a couple new faces, as well as re-sign some of the kids whose contracts are set to expire on 1 July. Those kids are Larkin, Lil Bert, AA, Frk, and Mantha. Booth and Green also have contracts that expire. That extra almost six million bucks can go towards players we want to keep.

On the other hand, Jimmy is the best goalie we’ve got (scary thought, eh?), and I think no matter what, KH won’t wantr to part ways with him unless he’s given a deal he can’t refuse.

So the question is, what would the Isles be willing to send our way for Jimmy’s services? What would KH be willing to accept in order to sign off on a deal?

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 06/12/18 at 04:43 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

I was hoping this deal would have happened at the last Trade Deadline.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 06/12/18 at 03:31 PM ET