Abel to Yzerman

Diggers Say No, Search Engines Beg To Differ

Ken Holland does not want you thinking the Wings have much of a shot.  It's not his style.  In fact, it may be a little bit of self preservation after last summer's farce.  But Ken Holland is not going to come right out and say we're out of the running, because he has his lackies do that for him.

Helene St. James is one of those lackies, and I'm not positive I'm spelling lackies correctly.  She, and this goes for every single Digger since MacLeod left, provide the amp for the strings Holland strums

The Wings met over the weekend with Vincent Lecavalier, but given the immense interest in his services, Detroit is unlikely to be his landing place.

Lecavalier probably will end up in Dallas, where new general manager Jim Nill, formerly the assistant GM in Detroit, is molding the Stars into a playoff team.

Five years is too long and five million is too steep. His "pace" is all wrong and his "best years" are behind him.  Tick Tock winked when he told her that, and she wrote a smiley face down in her notebook.

"Probably will end up in Dallas..."? Based on what Helene? Shit. I get blasted for not naming sources in the Datsyuk ditty and she's comfortable spewing that kind of swill?

Oh, I know. I get all irritable when the Diggers keep it real. I get antsy when other bloggers tell us we need to keep a level head. I get it.

But you have to wonder, and set aside for a minute the on-again, off-again battles we've had with Wyshynski. You have to wonder how the Diggers can be so sure, Helene in particular, that Lecavalier is not Wing-worthy...when so many others feel so differently?

Detroit Red Wings (Odds: 3/1)

The Red Wings were Lecavalier’s favorite team growing up, and it’s a franchise for which he has a great respect. With Valtteri Filppula most likely gone via free agency, the Wings have over $8 million in cap space available and a need at center.

His contract might be too rich for what Detroit is looking to offer a second-line center, but his puck control skills and character would seem to fit a Mike Babcock team to perfection.

@wyshynski said this morning his prediction is based on "draft conversations" and "what they know". Not exactly rock solid, but what is St. James'  "probably to Dallas" assertion steeped in?  A whole lot of nothing, sprinkled with whatever Ken Holland told her to write in exchange for more riveting exclusives.

Needless to say, I want Lecavalier.  Kenny knows you want him and he's not into the raising expectations thing anymore. Never again will he do that after we were set up like idiots last summer only to see Laura and Mary climb aboard Albert's wagon and head off to Walnut Grove where it's quiet and eternally Cupless.

The Holland PR machine continues to hum, boy.  And Kenny? We dig it. We dig it when you lie to us because we know you know what's best for us and our families.  But, at least lie to us to our faces (you know, in quotes) instead of directing the Diggers to do it for you.  It's not embarrassing and I don't feel dirty. It just pisses me off.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Mandingo's avatar

If what has transpired so far regarding the Filppula situation is any indication, our local Red Wings beat writers are just slightly more in the loop than my 6-year-old niece.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 07/02/13 at 11:44 AM ET

SK77's avatar

“Probably will end up in Dallas…”? Based on what Helene? Shit. I get blasted for not naming sources in the Datsyuk ditty and she’s comfortable spewing that kind of swill?

Even though Helene sucks, there’s no doubt she’s talking to KH & players on a regular basis.

Compared to your unnamed source hat was so dialed in on “the Datsyuk ditty”, crazy Helene still seems to have better access to info to come up with the swill that she spews.

God. I just sided with Helene. What is this nightmare world.

Posted by SK77 on 07/02/13 at 11:44 AM ET

Konnichiwa, Chief.  Raising a mid-morning Guinness to you and the shooters.

The conversations are beginning to make me numb actually.  I’m really beyond the point of giving a crap whether or not Vinny lands in a Wings sweater.  I respect his saying that the Wings were a favorite team of his growing up, but July 5th can’t get here soon enough.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/02/13 at 11:46 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

After the Suter / Parise fiasco last year I’ve developed a new way to handle the stress (no one should stress about hockey in the summer) of these possible signings: I let myself believe the only player the Wings will sign over the summer is Harold Snepts. That way, any signing that isn’t Harold is a pleasant surprise.

Try it. Copious amounts of vodka and lying to yourself really works.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 07/02/13 at 11:50 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Also, the Wings aren’t getting Lecavlier. They’re re-signing Filppula.

I’d stake my reputation as someone who is almost always wrong about everything on it.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 07/02/13 at 11:51 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Josh Cooper tweet,

Poile said he talked with Lecavalier, but Lecavalier would prefer to be on the east coast

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/02/13 at 11:56 AM ET

I understand that the Wings may be out of the Lecavalier race, but I still think they aren’t “serious” about keeping Filppula.

Of course, I also think they should keep Colaicovo, and jettison Lashoff.

Posted by zombietroy on 07/02/13 at 11:59 AM ET

perfection's avatar

how was the Suter/Parise affair a fiasco? I don’t really get it. I get that we didn’t get them in the end… but I don’t understand how anyone could wish Holland handled it any differently. They spent three seasons preparing financially for the time Lids retired, including saving enough cap space to go all out for a top-2 UFA dman, which they did. Parise was simply a bonus and in fact, probably as much about trying to lure Suter as anything. It is not often you can snare a defenseman like Suter for nothing. They HAD to go for it. And they were really close to pulling it off. Yeah, it would have been nice if Suter made his decision before we were only left with the UFA bargain bin, but that doen’t make Holland’s decision to wait on him wrong. It seems like it came down to the Wild and the Wings in the end, so it wasn’t like he was holding out for a prayer. They definitely had a shot. But sometimes you don’t get what you want. Holland did his best to fill the gaps and we came a goal away from the conference finals despite all of the fan fretting and hand wringing.

So while it sucks we didn’t get the big fish last year, you sure can’t fault them for trying. It was definitely worth it. Lecavlier is a different situation as he isn’t nearly the franchise player Suter would have been. He could fill a gap nicely and would improve our team for sure, but it’s not like we will take a big step backwards without him the way we did losing Lids and not replacing him with Suter. If we get him cool, but hopefully he at least hints at a decision by the 5th so Holland has options. I’m not sure Vinny is worth waiting too long past the start of UFA the way Suter was.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/02/13 at 12:15 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Chief, your stuff never fails to make me smile and laugh. I know this is a hockey site,and it is now the off season, but could you please find the time to post stuff on a more frequent basis? How about a Bob Talbert or Larry King style random thoughts sorta blog? Doesn’t even have to be hockey related. I know I would read it. Good luck and stay safe on the seas.

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/02/13 at 12:17 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I said it in a GM post earlier today, but Holland isn’t going to tell the media everything or necessarily anything absolutely true about what he’s doing - if he did, there wouldn’t be blogs wink.  Some people expect KH to release his meeting minutes; that’d just plain outright take away the mystique of summer.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/02/13 at 12:19 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by zombietroy on 07/02/13 at 12:59 PM ET

Like I said last night, I hope to hell the Red Wings are serious about keeping Filppula.

If they aren’t…what does that say about their inaction from the trade deadline through the draft? Just sheer incompetence? I refuse to believe that.

They’re hammering out the details right now. Guarantee it.*

*  In as much as I can guarantee anything I won’t have to answer for when I turn out to be wrong.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 07/02/13 at 12:28 PM ET

From George’s TMR:

The Red Wings are out of the bidding for Vincent Lecavalier, who is seeking a five-year deal for $5 million per season, which is a longer term and more money than Detroit is willing to offer. Lecavalier’s agent told teams he has identified a club he wants to play for. It’s believed to be Dallas.

Start looking elsewhere, man.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/02/13 at 12:34 PM ET

Cut the crap guys, KH telegraphs every move to his PR machines, the local beat writers where they scribble his every word and never question is greatness.  Some of them know as much about hockey as a beauty queen knows about combustible engines.  They would not say Vinny is as good as gone if they were not led to that conclusion.  Holland will sit on his hands, chase his own free agents and lament the “prices” to acquire good free agents.  He does this every summer while having space to go shopping and the lap dog local press sits there with their tails wagging waiting for their table scraps from Holland, all the while genuflecting in his presence.  July 5th will come and go and we’ll see guys like Nill eat Holland’s lunch, just like he did in the draft, then we’ll get to see who the real brains was in the GM chair.

Posted by bababooey on 07/02/13 at 12:38 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

how was the Suter/Parise affair a fiasco?

I meant in a personal sense, in how I was checking the Internet and tweets all the time, for what seemed like an eternity, to see where they ended up, hoping beyond hope it was Detroit.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 07/02/13 at 12:42 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

If Lecavalier signs in Detroit, fine. If not, that’s fine too. He’d be a nice addition, but we aren’t dead in the water without him.
Make your offer/pitch and move on if you are Kenny. In my simple mind there are 2 kinds of players, those who want to be a Wing and those that don’t.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/02/13 at 12:46 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

who cares, not my team. I don’t own it or run it, evidently can’t have an opinion on it, unless it’s how great everyone and everything is.  Fuch it.

I should be like the rest of the Wings fans I know and just watch it and not follow it.  They don’t know what’s going on, sometimes they think we still have players on the team we haven’t had in years.  All in all, they’re better off.  And when they talk to other Wings fans they can’t get ripped for disagreeing with the GM like you just hacked on someone’s Mom.  I think I see what people mean when they say they can’t stand Wings fans.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/02/13 at 12:48 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I love tweets report he wants to play on the East coast and all of a sudden he’s going to Dallas.

This is for all of you who say “it’s a team, Holland isn’t repsonsible, everyone else makes the decisions.”  Well, our not more than a month departed Asst. GM just pulled the biggest FA out of the water to play in DALLAS right after we have a unsuspectingly glorious finish to the year and a HUGELY bright future in the org and prospects.  Again.  TO PLAY IN DALLAS.

How, with a tight ownership, shitty prospect pool, no big names on the team, no recent success, was Nill able to nab VL (allegedly) and KH, who runs the team VL specifically said he’d consider and that was his favorite outside of MTL, managed to not even get to 2nd base.  He bunted trying to hit a base hit when he should’ve put some ass behind it.

I’m sure all the Holland lovers will try to gang rape me in the showers for that.  Save your Shawshank for someone else, I’m done tryin’ to reason.  I hope you’re the one who has to eat the cracker at the end.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/02/13 at 12:53 PM ET

Yeah, he’s so cunning, the way he uses the media.

Posted by Garth on 07/02/13 at 12:53 PM ET

It wasn’t just the UFA pool, Nill also outfoxed Detroit at the draft.  If the Wings really believed that Nichushkin was the best player out of Russia since Ovechkin and you see him falling like that how they didn’t work the phones for a trade is beyond me.  There is no way that he was getting past Nill, who was your head scout along with asst GM just 1 month before.

Posted by bababooey on 07/02/13 at 12:58 PM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

Outfoxed?  It doesn’t require any outfoxing when your drafting spot is 8 spots higher.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 07/02/13 at 01:15 PM ET

They didn’t try to move up, that is my point.  Several teams were looking to trade back, obviously they didn’t have Nichushkin as high on their boards.  Detroit apparently thought he was the best prospect from Russia since Ovechkin, and you also have a logjam of players and a team like Calgary with 3 first round picks who was telling everyone they wanted to trade.

Posted by bababooey on 07/02/13 at 01:19 PM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

Posted by bababooey on 07/02/13 at 02:19 PM ET

With that logic, lets blast the Wings for not trading up for Seth Jones.

And on one point, you’re speculating, we have no idea if the Wings were trying to trade up or not.  On the second point, you’re talking as if it’s easy to jump up from the 18th pick to at least the 9th pick.  How in the world were they going to do that?  Calgary wasn’t going to drop from 6 to 18 just for a couple extra picks.  I’m sure some teams were willing trade back, but no team would would drop more then 2 or 3 spots when they’re in the top ten unless the return is huge.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 07/02/13 at 02:04 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

No malred, he said because the guy was falling in the draft detroit shoudlve made a play if they scouted him as the best player since Ovi whose a slam dunk NHLer.  So its not the same logic trading up for seth

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/02/13 at 03:02 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I’m just going to copy and paste myself, because I’m lazy and this is too funny, in an ironic “second verse, same as the first” kind of way.

“the Wings’ focus is shifting more to keeping two of their own guys than bringing in someone new.
If prices for this year’s scant crop of UFAs is as high as it appears, the Wings may well decide to go into the season with what they’ve got, and see what happens.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA   O M G   STAND BY FOR REVOLT !

screen-capture-22

upyoursgary

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/02/13 at 06:01 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/02/13 at 01:17 PM ET

I second that grin

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/05/13 at 11:01 PM ET