Abel to Yzerman

Did You Wake Last Night To The Sound of Thunder, Blues Fans? Don’t Fret. Our Serial Killer’s Out

This made me weepy.

I tried, people, I really tried to be a REAL hockey fan. Briefly. If it ain’t the Wings, I just dont give a shit.

Posted by dougie on 01/19/13 at 03:12 PM ET

That pretty much sums it up.  Hockey's been on all day, allegedly. They raised their 8th seeded banner in LA before the heavily-favored-to-repeat Kings got smoked by the third-best team in the Central.  They renewed hostilities in Pennsylvania and I'll bet Rosby's been touched exactly once...by Gary Bettman, most likely.

And I tried to watch. Honestly. I wanted to be a good citizen.  But in the end?

I couldn't because--like Dougie--I just don't give a shit about the NHL, about hockey, about the purity of our sport and our precious league.

Nope. All I really care about is Detroyet is playing hockey again.  The Blues will raise their Central Division yellow sticky in some corporately sponsored arena tonite and the Wings will watch and chortle.  They've been through these before...many, many times.  Division winners.  That's...nice.

The Wings are back, and they're back tonite.  Other hockey happens, I guess. And that's ok.  But it's all static.  It's all boring.  To us, and to millions.  You either love our Wings because baby Jesus decreed it, or you hate them because Detroit's owned your team for decades and months and days.

St. Louis is a favorite, boy. And the Wings? Oh woe is us.  Like Jenny said earlier, everyone's all sad-face when they talk about us.  "This is the year, sigh..."  Ok.  Bookmark that shit.  Bookmark the naysayers.

Say it again. St. Louis is a favorite.  That is awesome.  The little kids who could, who tried, who found so much regular season glory last year only to see a standard end to a normal Blues season, Cup-free again.

So raise that banner tonite, little Bitter ones. Raise the division crown high, high, high.  Bellow at it and shake your fists, Blues fans.  What an achievement.

Bullet Bob says not to worry because nothing's more fun to slap around than the Awkward Teenage Blues.  Take them out past the cornfield where the woods got heavy and give them the back of your hand.  Because division titles don't mean jack shit, Sally.

Big brother's in town. Again.  It's a Live Blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 12 13 14 15 >       Next »

TheRealYooper's avatar

it’s over….

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 01/19/13 at 11:44 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Skate em Mike.

Skate em till they puke.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/19/13 at 11:44 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

8-6 Griffs

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/19/13 at 11:45 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

There are tickets availabe for this Fridays Griffins game plus it is $1 beer and $1 hot dog Friday.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 01/19/13 at 11:45 PM ET

dougie's avatar

This may be the worst game I have ever seen the Wings play. I have seen them get outscored worse, but that looked really pathetic.

See yez Monday.

Posted by dougie on 01/19/13 at 11:45 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Skate em Mike.

Skate em till they puke.

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 01/19/13 at 10:44 PM ET

I wish they’d skate Babcock… Enough is enough.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/19/13 at 11:45 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Night all!
It’s been nice catching up with you all!
Be safe and keep warm!
Catch you all Monday night!

LGRW!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 01/19/13 at 11:45 PM ET

Bent's avatar

I hope that they are embarassed, and that they are pissed that they got embarassed.  Unacceptable, even most of our worst predictions wouldn’t have had that game in them.  See you guys next time.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 01/19/13 at 11:46 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

see ya monday

g’nite

...

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/19/13 at 11:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well, now to melt a lot of cheese and watch a bad movie, like 2 fast 2 furious from DVR.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/19/13 at 11:46 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Ok…hands up for who all thinks this will get the Wings’ attention and they’ll come out firing on all cylinders for the next game….

:crickets:

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 01/19/13 at 10:38 PM ET

they ALL have mono. thats what im stickin with.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 01/19/13 at 11:46 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/19/13 at 10:46 PM ET

I think we’re about to watch either The Last Starfighter or Invention of Lieing

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/19/13 at 11:48 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Well that was forgettable.

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 01/19/13 at 10:44 PM ET

Yeah, thanks to the blue liquid.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/13 at 11:48 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Prediction of Babs postgame presser

“We couldn’t match their energy”

“I think they’re a real, real good hockey team”

“I thought we saw some positives tonight”

“We didn’t help Jimmy enough”

“We like where we’re headed”

and nothing will be done to address the opening night shellacking

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/19/13 at 11:48 PM ET

I’ve been watching since 87, so I’m sure I’ve seen worse.  But at least back then you could count on Sean Burr hitting anything that moved.  No such luck tonight.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/19/13 at 11:48 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well that was forgettable.

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 01/19/13 at 10:44 PM ET

Well let’s hope the players don’t.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/19/13 at 11:48 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

9-6 Griffins a shorty

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 01/19/13 at 11:49 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Well, the uniforms fit nicely….they have that going for them.

Nightall

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 01/19/13 at 11:49 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I wish they’d skate Babcock… Enough is enough.

Something’s gotta give. Same Coach, same , same, same.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/19/13 at 11:49 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

AND SO BEGINS THE ZETTERBERG ERA.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/19/13 at 11:49 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

10-6 Griffins

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 01/19/13 at 11:50 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

and nothing will be done to address the opening night shellacking

The voice at the top says it all—“We really like our team”

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/13 at 11:50 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

this just in: Kocur skating at the Joe. Hopes to be ready Tuesday night.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 01/19/13 at 11:51 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Invention of Lieing

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 01/19/13 at 10:48 PM ET

I need to watch that.  And ZERO DARK THIRTY.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/19/13 at 11:51 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Who ever said that Jimmy Howard would feel more rubber than a Detriot Hooker on pay day this year was right on.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 01/19/13 at 10:15 PM ET

That’d be. me.  Actually, it was more rubber than the ladies down on Woodward on payday.

But close enough.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/19/13 at 11:52 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Probie woulda killed a Blue tonight.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/13 at 11:52 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I better not hear 6 days of training camp. I better not hear one single excuse, because, there isn’t one. This is one of the absolute worst games I have been witness to in over 40 fuching years of watching hockey.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/19/13 at 11:55 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

Jeff OKWingnut Just giving credit where credit is due.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 01/19/13 at 11:56 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/19/13 at 10:55 PM ET

Agreed.  Excuses are for losers.  So if we hear any, they will have branded themselves.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/13 at 11:58 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

-5 tonight…just had the neighbor come ask if I could jump his car for him.

haha…handed him my keys and told him I was in no condition to drive.

“Even ten feet to jump my car”  THen he saw the wings post game going on and he smiled…oh yeah…watched htat…

So now my keys hang proudly on my keyrack and he’s out trying to start his car.

Was I wrong?

nahhhh..didn’t think so

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/19/13 at 11:59 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Jeff OKWingnut Just giving credit where credit is due.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 01/19/13 at 10:56 PM ET

I know.  I just wanted to get the line right.  I spent too much time down on Woodward, gotta give the ladies their due.

The fault in all this rests on Holland.

He knew TPH was going to be hanging them up - knew it for a couple of seasons, and did nothing to prepare for it.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/20/13 at 12:00 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Invention of Lieing

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 01/19/13 at 10:48 PM ET

I need to watch that.  And ZERO DARK THIRTY.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/19/13 at 10:51 PM ET

I htink we’re going that route..  Ricky Gervais is a hoot and I’ve seen Starfighter like a bajillion times.

Although..this is the SPECIAL edition….

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/20/13 at 12:00 AM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 01/19/13 at 11:00 PM ET     I never though i would say this but after tonight maybe a full season lost would be better than what I watch tonight.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 01/20/13 at 12:06 AM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

Griffins 11-6 with 2min left. Callahan with the hat trick.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 01/20/13 at 12:08 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

The fault in all this rests on Holland.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/19/13 at 11:00 PM ET

On behalf of those of us who have seen this coming since 2010, bravo!  What we saw tonight is exactly what happens when you stand pat in a league where everyone else is busting their ass to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get better.

When guys like Modano, Leino, Brunnstrom, Samuelsson, Toot Toot, Quincey, Coliacawhatchamafuck and Brunner are your big acquisitions, it’s kinda like pissing in a wind storm.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/20/13 at 12:14 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

How many years now have we seen the Wings just kinda sitting idle while everybody else in the league said “Well shit.what do we have to do to get better than the Wings” and then go out and do it?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/20/13 at 12:40 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

well, i see the sun did come up today

... imagine that.

never, never, never give up

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/20/13 at 02:04 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

We haven’t been shut-out in a season opener since 1958. Habs vs Wings.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/20/13 at 02:45 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Jonas Gustavsson became the latest Detroit Red Wings player to fall to a groin injury, while Jonathan Ericsson stepped on a puck in practice and fell and hurt his shoulder,

Keystone Cops on ice.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/20/13 at 06:09 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Sometimes teams have to get bad before they can become good again.  It’s not like the old days where we could outbid everyone else for any free agent we wanted.  The Red Wings may become terrible and thus be able to re-stock via the draft.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/20/13 at 06:14 PM ET