Abel to Yzerman

Did You Wake Last Night To The Sound of Thunder, Blues Fans? Don’t Fret. Our Serial Killer’s Out

This made me weepy.

I tried, people, I really tried to be a REAL hockey fan. Briefly. If it ain’t the Wings, I just dont give a shit.

Posted by dougie on 01/19/13 at 03:12 PM ET

That pretty much sums it up.  Hockey's been on all day, allegedly. They raised their 8th seeded banner in LA before the heavily-favored-to-repeat Kings got smoked by the third-best team in the Central.  They renewed hostilities in Pennsylvania and I'll bet Rosby's been touched exactly once...by Gary Bettman, most likely.

And I tried to watch. Honestly. I wanted to be a good citizen.  But in the end?

I couldn't because--like Dougie--I just don't give a shit about the NHL, about hockey, about the purity of our sport and our precious league.

Nope. All I really care about is Detroyet is playing hockey again.  The Blues will raise their Central Division yellow sticky in some corporately sponsored arena tonite and the Wings will watch and chortle.  They've been through these before...many, many times.  Division winners.  That's...nice.

The Wings are back, and they're back tonite.  Other hockey happens, I guess. And that's ok.  But it's all static.  It's all boring.  To us, and to millions.  You either love our Wings because baby Jesus decreed it, or you hate them because Detroit's owned your team for decades and months and days.

St. Louis is a favorite, boy. And the Wings? Oh woe is us.  Like Jenny said earlier, everyone's all sad-face when they talk about us.  "This is the year, sigh..."  Ok.  Bookmark that shit.  Bookmark the naysayers.

Say it again. St. Louis is a favorite.  That is awesome.  The little kids who could, who tried, who found so much regular season glory last year only to see a standard end to a normal Blues season, Cup-free again.

So raise that banner tonite, little Bitter ones. Raise the division crown high, high, high.  Bellow at it and shake your fists, Blues fans.  What an achievement.

Bullet Bob says not to worry because nothing's more fun to slap around than the Awkward Teenage Blues.  Take them out past the cornfield where the woods got heavy and give them the back of your hand.  Because division titles don't mean jack shit, Sally.

Big brother's in town. Again.  It's a Live Blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 12 >  Last ›      Next »

Mandingo's avatar

You know what?  The LB is in better shape than the Wings.

Posted by calquake on 01/19/13 at 09:52 PM ET

We really like our LB!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/13 at 09:54 PM ET

A lot of opportunities to earn minutes in the LB! I’m excited to find out who is going to go out and grab them!

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 01/19/13 at 09:57 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Over/Under—10 wins?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/13 at 09:58 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

Look on the bright side. It is the middle of Feb, and half the season is over and if the Wings lose tonight they will be only 2 points out of first place. Wait….What?

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 01/19/13 at 09:58 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I would hate to be the guy interviewing Babcock betwee periods, Hell they shoudn’t even do it.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/19/13 at 09:58 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

My son got me hooked over Christmas break.  I looooove playing artillery

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/19/13 at 09:58 PM ET

calquake's avatar

You know what?  The LB is in better shape than the Wings.

Posted by calquake on 01/19/13 at 09:52 PM ET

We really like our LB!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/13 at 09:54 PM ET

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 01/19/13 at 09:57 PM ET

Watch out for the rookie NIVO… he’s been posting in the Swiss League for the last five years.

Posted by calquake on 01/19/13 at 09:59 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/13 at 09:58 PM ET

Over.  I got DET for 12 wins.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/19/13 at 10:00 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

My son got me hooked over Christmas break.

I’ll take “Things a white trash dad on meth says”  for five-hundred Alex

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/13 at 10:00 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

So how many shots the Wings got now?  Has the scorekeeper had to change hands with his pencil yet?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/19/13 at 10:00 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

7 Jeff.  and only given up 27.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/19/13 at 10:01 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 01/19/13 at 10:00 PM ET

He’s worn it to a nub… so to speak.

Posted by calquake on 01/19/13 at 10:01 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 01/19/13 at 09:57 PM ET

That’s it kid, grab your laptop and your smartphone, you’ve been re-assigned to Grand Rapids.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/13 at 10:01 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

My son got me hooked over Christmas break.

I’ll take “Things a white trash dad on meth says”  for five-hundred Alex

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/13 at 10:00 PM ET

haha….you don’t know how crack-like that game is

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/19/13 at 10:02 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I hope Tootoo fights a Red Wing.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/19/13 at 10:02 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Over.  I got DET for 12 wins

12-1-35?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/19/13 at 10:02 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

7 Jeff.  and only given up 27.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/19/13 at 10:01 PM ET

Wow.so they’re…uh…just lulling Halak to sleep to then come out and put a whooping on him right?

Right?

RIGHT?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/19/13 at 10:03 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

I’ll take “Things a white trash dad on meth says”  for five-hundred Alex

Posted by WestWing from Portland

i don’t care what anybody says, that’s funny right there.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 01/19/13 at 10:03 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

I hope Tootoo fights a Red Wing.

Heh, thanks for the chuckle.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 01/19/13 at 10:03 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I hope Tootoo fights a Red Wing

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/19/13 at 10:04 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Uh dominating faceoffs!

Posted by pgoody on 01/19/13 at 10:04 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Worst DRW performance since 1989 in Hartford.  Wow.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/13 at 10:04 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

I hope Tootoo fights a Red Wing

Posted by monkey from All hands, abandon ship. This is not a drill. on 01/19/13 at 10:04 PM ET

My money’s on Quincey

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/19/13 at 10:04 PM ET

monkey's avatar

“Special teams are an issue too.”

You don’t *#$%@& say.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/19/13 at 10:05 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

The NHL won’t have to worry about Fleetwood Mac’s concert when setting up the playoff schedule.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 01/19/13 at 10:05 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

So Musak is hurt KH calls up Mike Knuble yea that will work.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 01/19/13 at 10:05 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

FSD.com says that they will be airing at least 41 home games and one pre-season game… Please tell me this is the pre-season game…

Posted by tkfergy on 01/19/13 at 10:06 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

And to think, I’ve been waiting months to see DET play hockey.  I’m still waiting, may be waiting for quite a while.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/19/13 at 10:06 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

I hope Tootoo fights a Red Wing

My money’s on Quincey

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 01/19/13 at 10:04 PM ET

Damn, talk about a way for Toot Toot to finally win us over once and for all.  Bonus points if he puts him out of the lineup for the season.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/13 at 10:07 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Worst DRW performance since 1989 in Hartford.  Wow.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/19/13 at 10:04 PM ET

You my friend have a great memory… or you’ve been consulting Sylvia Browne.  “You were a princess in Mesopotamia and died a horrible death.”

Posted by calquake on 01/19/13 at 10:07 PM ET

SoDakWIngNut's avatar

Right?

RIGHT?

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 01/19/13 at 10:03 PM ET

Knowing our luck tonight, he’d pass out in the crease like a huge steaming pile thereby blocking the goal mouth for the rest of the game.

Posted by SoDakWIngNut from Rapid City, SD on 01/19/13 at 10:07 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

And to make matters even better, the commercial just said, “THE STRIKE IS OVER.”

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/19/13 at 10:08 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Who’s the Red Wing player of the game? The plunger?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/19/13 at 10:08 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Kinda fun to think about the headlines for this game.

It’ll be interesting to see what bullshit excuses get paraded about.

I haven’s seen this much rust as is on a freighter steaming the lakes in November.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/19/13 at 10:08 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

So Musak is hurt KH calls up Mike Knuble yea that will work.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 01/19/13 at 10:05 PM ET

May as well give the kid a shot. A little new blood and some youth injected into the lineup. He’s loaded for bear and hungry for stink.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 01/19/13 at 10:09 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Who’s the Red Wing player of the game? The plunger?

Posted by monkey from All hands, abandon ship. This is not a drill. on 01/19/13 at 10:08 PM ET

No, it’s probably your football.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/19/13 at 10:09 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Goalpost just made a fantastic save.  Oops.

Posted by calquake on 01/19/13 at 10:09 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

wow

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/19/13 at 10:09 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

That “D” is really something, isn’t it.

Just Horrid

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/19/13 at 10:09 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Pull him. Thank god. Poor bastard.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/19/13 at 10:10 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

So how many of these do we hang on Jimmy…the two breakaways…maybe?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/19/13 at 10:10 PM ET

« Previous       ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 12 >  Last ›      Next »