Abel to Yzerman

Detroit’s Top Prospects

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

As the Detroit Red Wings begin their rebuild in earnest after missing the playoffs for the second consecutive season, they’re hoping to have anywhere between two and five young players on their season-opening roster who weren’t in the NHL at the start of 2017-18.

One will be Tyler Bertuzzi. A handful of others will be competing for jobs in training camp and the preseason.

Here is a look at 10 of the Red Wings’ top prospects, how they fared this past season and how far away they might be from the NHL.

Michael Rasmussen

Position: Center

Height/Weight: 6-6/221

Shoots: Left

Drafted: First round in 2017 (No. 9)

2017-18 season: He tallied 31 goals and 59 points in 47 games with the WHL Tri-City Americans in a season interrupted by wrist surgery. He was even more dominant in the playoffs, with 16 goals and 33 points in 14 games.

Timeline to NHL: The Red Wings are counting on Rasmussen to make the team in training camp. They plan to ease his transition to the NHL by starting him on wing, like they did with Dylan Larkin as a rookie in 2015-16. If Rasmussen isn’t ready for the NHL he will return to Tri-City for his final junior season. He is not eligible to play in the AHL in 2018-19.

continued

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

The Meal's avatar

A question posed from ignorance here, but why is Rasmussen not eligible for the AHL this upcoming year?

Posted by The Meal from Longmont, CO on 06/11/18 at 09:26 AM ET

Short answer: he plays in the CHL and won’t be 20 when the season starts.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/11/18 at 09:36 AM ET

Posted by The Meal from Longmont, CO on 06/11/18 at 09:26 AM ET

Long answer: In order to maintain a competitive league if a player is drafted from the CHL, is under 20 years old, and does not make the NHL team, he must be reassigned to his CHL club.

Posted by Manthanasiou87 on 06/11/18 at 10:23 AM ET

I may be ignorant too but I thought the finns played on a similar rink to n. America.  They aren’t standard international size.

Interesting to hear Sulak will need a year to adjust to rink size.

Posted by ThatGuy on 06/11/18 at 11:07 AM ET

Colin's avatar

So, 2-5 young players… Bertuzzi is in. So really 1-4 new faces. That means 1-4 roster spots you would consider as “at risk” or that may be opened in a trade.

As interesting the list of rookies looking to jump are (which is Svech, Hicketts, Hronek, and Rasmussen), I’m at least equally interested at the list of players that would potentially be on the move if they’re beat by young players.

I think Ouellet is a sure thing, Frk and Jensen are in the possible-probable category, and then you’re looking at a Glendening beyond that.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 06/11/18 at 11:34 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Why would Ouellet be a sure thing?  General consensus is he’s not good enough and they’ll be quitting on him, and the reporters all report his time is likely up.  He’s done.  He’ll be playing in Europe next year.

Frk…who knows.  I think he gets a shot on the team again but he’s going to have to be better if he’s going to keep a spot on the roster without being traded or sent down through waivers.  Jensen probably has the best potential to stick around the whole season.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/11/18 at 11:56 AM ET

I think you misread Colin’s comment.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/11/18 at 12:52 PM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 06/11/18 at 11:56 AM ET

I think you missed the point of my comment. I was outlining the roster players who would likely be moved when jumped by a young player, not roster players I was expecting to stay.

So Ouellet is for sure on the move, as you mentioned, which is why I said he was a sure thing as in sure to be gone. That will likely be Hicketts’ spot.

We’ll likely see Jensen move if the value is right and we feel Hronek is ready, but that won’t happen until after training camp at the earliest. Frk is probably in a similar situation, as he’ll have to beat Rasmussen AND Svechnikov if he is going to stay. This would again be a post-training camp move. That’s why I said they were possible-probable.

I list Glendening because he had some value at the deadline and teams looking for depth would be interested in a retained salary deal, and it wouldn’t hurt too much. I would actually put Athanasiou here in this possible-not likely category as well. Both of these players could be on the move as early as the draft, and I think if we are going to trade them this is when we would do it.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 06/11/18 at 12:57 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Ahhh got it.  Apologies - I’ve seen a few people talking about Oullette still having a shot and I don’t get it.

Glenny - super good guy, not necessary on this team.  Given the year he had last year on a very bad team, he might fetch a good return.  He could definitely help contenders out - just not sure if anyone would trade for him over the summer vs. at the trade deadline.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/11/18 at 01:02 PM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 06/11/18 at 01:02 PM ET

No worries.

Re: Glendening, since he has term on his contract I don’t think he will have any more or less value at the deadline vs. draft independent of his performance throughout this season. I think the real dealmaker here would be our willingness to retain a portion of his salary to ease the long-term risk of their acquiring his contract. I think we should definitely consider it, as at $1.8M/yr we could retain a small portion of his salary on our end and make his deal palatable for the team acquiring him.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 06/11/18 at 01:09 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Glendenning is the kind of guy you want in a locker room filled with young players that have never had to work to be better than their competition but now do.

If offensive minded players like Rasmussen and Svechnikov make the opening roster look for NyQueen and AA to be traded, not a defense first PK guy.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 06/11/18 at 03:38 PM ET

Colin's avatar

I disagree. For one, there is no way you’re trading Nyquist at any time but the deadline. Second, I think we try to make it work with AA, although I would put a trade of him as possible. Third, our 4th line (which Glendening spent much of his time on) was a black hole in terms of possession and a sieve in terms of goal differential. Among the worst in the league. The 4th line isn’t working, and we have a surplus of players than can or have played on the PK. Larkin, AA, Abdelkader, Helm, Nielsen all fit that bill. Rasmussen may even get looks. Beyond that, you still have good locker room guys over the next few years in Nielsen, Helm, Abdelkader, etc. and in that time you have to expect Larkin to take on that mantle as well. Glendening is a good but totally expendable player on this team.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 06/11/18 at 04:03 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland’s new yacht, “Incompetence” on 06/11/18 at 04:03 PM ET

We disagree.  I don’t think this roster as it is composed today, can add two more offense only situation guys by replacing a defense only situation guy. I would agree with you if say Nosek was the guy coming up, but these two are rookies and will take time before they are adjusted to defend in the NHL against any level of real talent.

I also don’t think trading Nyquist in the off season is out of the question, he might have more value at a deadline, but he may also get himself into a goal slump or hurt.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 06/12/18 at 09:47 AM ET

Colin's avatar

I think part of the problem is that this team has a line literally designed to play on its heels. If defense isn’t our strong point, which it isn’t, then we should be trying to play a fast possession game and keep the puck away. Vegas found success through rolling 4 lines that could play fast, with or without the puck. Let the damn kids play.

The only reason I would say that a preseason Nyquist trade is a non-starter is Zetterberg. Not to get all Swedish Mafia, but I have a very strong feeling that between Kronwall and Nyquist on their last season and with his salary dropping to $1m a year after this season, we are looking at the last of Zetterberg in Detroit. I also think part of why he doesn’t already go back is he has one last hurrah with his buds. Holland will let him have it because loyalty, and when we flounder again come deadline, one or both of them will get traded for picks.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 06/12/18 at 02:28 PM ET