Abel to Yzerman

Detroit’s ReverseRetro Jersey

What do you think?

Video and pictures below.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Remarks I have seen on Twitter basically states it looks like a practice jersey.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/16/20 at 10:34 AM ET

So, our regular away jerseys with gray instead of red. I didn’t even know this was a thing until today and I’m still disappointed.

Posted by Manthanasiou87 on 11/16/20 at 10:46 AM ET

AzWingsFan's avatar

That was my exact thought as well Paul, not very imaginative.

Posted by AzWingsFan on 11/16/20 at 10:48 AM ET

Not a fan at all.  Do they do any market research before designing these?  Or is it more for the team and not for the fans buying them?

Posted by ThatGuy on 11/16/20 at 11:38 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Yeah, give me a remix of the 09 winter classic.

better yet, just give me the 09 winter classic jerseys.

Posted by ilovehomers on 11/16/20 at 11:42 AM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Ours is the worst one and I don’t even think it’s close.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 11/16/20 at 11:59 AM ET

pretty lame.

Posted by akwingsfan on 11/16/20 at 12:07 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

I do like this better than the giant swoopy D in the red field, but only slightly.  It’s a clean look, I’ll give you that.  But I’d have preferred if they did something like the Blues or Coyotes had done.  Lean into the bold.  You only have Red, White, Grey/Silver, and Black to work with, but nobody was clamoring for a more subtle jersey (with the exception of the Stars’ retro-reverse jersey designer, I suppose).

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 11/16/20 at 12:41 PM ET

Ours is the worst one and I don’t even think it’s close

I completely agree. They could of gone in so many cool directions with this, as so many other teams did. Christ. Even if they just substituted red for the gray it wouldn’t be horrible.

Posted by godblender on 11/16/20 at 12:42 PM ET

Paul's avatar

All 31 jerseys released today, view them.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/16/20 at 12:43 PM ET

I expected better from Adidas.  Non-descript overall, but they kept the integrity of the logo and you have to permit that.  Granted that the Wings is probably the most difficult to “reverse-retro,” but if anything, they could have gone with the lace-up collar with red strings, and, what godblender and I agreed on yesterday, the C and A in a diamond patch on the shoulder.  Should have consulted the fans as well.

Could.Have.Been.Better.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 11/16/20 at 12:47 PM ET

All 31 jerseys released today, view them.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/16/20 at 12:43 PM ET

The New York Rangers reverse retro is badass.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 11/16/20 at 01:16 PM ET

They could have gone with a hoodless version of this one:

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 11/16/20 at 01:24 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Not good, at all

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 11/16/20 at 04:22 PM ET

Looks like a Buckeyes jersey.

So bad it’s making me log in to post…

Posted by petesrw on 11/16/20 at 06:23 PM ET

igrover's avatar

I really really like the Canadiens jersey in blue.  Might actually buy one.

Posted by igrover on 11/16/20 at 09:37 PM ET

Why even bother if that’s the result? Did they consult with the team? fans? any marketing people? I see Colorado, NY, LA, Carolina and a few others and then look at this lame-ass practice jersey with a different colored stripe and wonder what happened. I get that Detroit has a classically simple, iconic jersey and maybe they didn’t want to get too wild…but shit man…ANY of the Winter Classic jerseys of the last 20 years would have been better. I would rather the Wings just tell Adidas no thanks and just use their regular home and aways.

Posted by MZ2215 on 11/17/20 at 11:48 AM ET

aerodude's avatar

They left a lot on the table with this one. Could have thrown a western conference patch on it if you are just gonna call it a day with some stripes.  At least its bot fish sticks.

Posted by aerodude on 11/17/20 at 08:32 PM ET

aerodude's avatar

*Not the fish sticks guy.

Posted by aerodude on 11/17/20 at 08:34 PM ET