Abel to Yzerman

Detroit Prospects Raise The Matthew Wuest Memorial Cup

added 8:45pm, watch the post-game talk below.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

If G.Smith turns into a Dallas Drake, we’re gonna be crushing on him.  You just can’t miss him on the ice.

And Veleno.  Wow.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 09/10/19 at 07:31 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I gave up on the boys when they went down by two in the 3rd….shame on me… mad

Posted by Down River Dan on 09/10/19 at 07:53 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Remember to check out The Malik Report tonight.

George does a great job from T.C.

Me?  Waiting for camp to start

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/10/19 at 08:21 PM ET

PierreC's avatar

well we are the 2019 “Prospect camp cup” champion !! Winning this one by a 6-5 score. Veleno 2 more goals for a total of 7, Givani Smith 2 goals, eventually Smith will be a better Abby. In goal Romeo played very well, you think Fulcher would have had this start but nooo…So Romeo will be at the Wings big camp there is a good chance there is a contract waiting for him to play in Toledo.

Fun presentation at the end…The Prospect Camp cup was on the ice, just like the SC !

Now for the downer of this post…Zadina ! Zero goal…veleno had 7 ! Looking at him on the Bench…humm..doesn’t look good. He is the major disappointment of this tournament. I think Zadina COULD be better with a faster tempo. sometimes they fed him on his off wing but the puck took so long to reach him that the goalie had time to move across, in the Nhl it might be easier for him. I’m just trying to find some positive about Zadina. And please guys don’t mention the age…they are all prospect and Seider is 18 and burned this tournament from start to end. Seider will be at the Wings camp and he has a great chance to stay in Detroit.

Overall the future is bright in Motown everybody shine maybe not enough to eventually crack the Wings line-up but still some were impressive.

Now to the real thing friday…

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 09/10/19 at 08:31 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Post-game video added to the post and good comment Pierre.

Regarding Zadina, he has a long way to go.

What I saw from him these last few days is he needs to play the game the right way. and destined for Grand Rapids at this point.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/10/19 at 08:50 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Regarding Zadina, he has a long way to go.

Agreed. Unless Zadina lights it up during the Pre Season, it’s off to Grand Rapids. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 09/10/19 at 09:51 PM ET

I keep thinking Zadina is going to be Pulkinen all over again.

Posted by akwingsfan on 09/10/19 at 10:41 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Zadina is a puck-hog. He had a number of opportunities tonight to give the puck up to someone and then get it back with the goalie out of position. Instead he tried to do everything himself. He reminds me a lot of AA from about two or three years ago.

Veleno, on the other hand, reminds me a lot of Larkin. He has the same kind of “motor” – always going at 100%. He may not start the year in Detroit, but I bet he’ll finish the year there – and not just for a nine-game call-up.

Then there’s Seider. Geez, he’s calm out there. He holds the puck when he needs to, and he gets rid of it quickly when he has a guy open. And the whole time he never looks flustered. I’m sure that’ll change a bit if he starts the year in Detroit because the opposition is so much better. But, in general, he looks like he has the right demeanor to be a really great player in the long run.

I was impressed with Pearson, Lindstrom, Smith and Kuffner too. But I wish McIssac and Larsson could have played. I think they’ll both be a big part of the Wings future.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/11/19 at 12:06 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Veleno is funny because he was the mostly - forgotten “free” pick. Kind of like a bonus pick. All eyes have been on Zadina but all along Veleno has been the better overall hockey player.

When they were drafted, One of them could have been projected to be a 30 goal nhl player (Zadina). But at this point it seems more likely that Veleno will be a solid mid 20s goal scorer.

Posted by TreKronor on 09/11/19 at 12:23 AM ET

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 09/10/19 at 08:31 PM ET

Sheesh, if he becomes another Tricky Dicky Axelsson…

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 09/11/19 at 12:33 AM ET

And for that Buckeye in the net for the JV Wings, Sean Romeo showed me resiliency and he reminded me a lot - A LOT - of Mike Vernon.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 09/11/19 at 12:34 AM ET

Steeb's avatar

I’m gonna forever tie Zadina to Quinn Huges whom we could have had. Quinn is already a stud in Vancouver, and would get more press if it wasn’t for Petterson. NewZ has a middling season in the minors, and produces nothing in the short tournaments (World Juniors, wasn’t asked to play at the Worlds, Prospects).

I do hope he proves me wrong and fills enemy nets with pucks. But our D is a horror show, still.

Posted by Steeb on 09/11/19 at 01:21 AM ET

Chet's avatar

Larkin / Veleno and Seider 1-4 years from now, as the cap and aging ravage TBL/TOR/BOS among others, is a juicy proposition. They’re 1-2 pieces from a legit young core. This title is meaningless to me, but seeing these guys take steps like this is NOT.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 09/11/19 at 03:29 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Wow, it’s PROSPECT CAMP/TOURNEY, not even Big Camp, and you guys are sh*tting on Zadina already?

I think Zadina is #1 a slow starter (and it’s freaking September), and #2 I also think Zadina is one of those players that greatly benefits from being around other good players… meaning his development this year maybe needs to be at the NHL level regardless, because he’s just not going to get what he needs at the AHL level.  I get the feeling he needs to be playing at NHL pace and NHL caliber.

Posted by Primis on 09/11/19 at 07:55 AM ET

Disappointing PROSPECT TOURNAMENT for sure, but yeah, let’s pump the brakes on the bust talk. Veleno looked damn good…playing with and against kids. Lets see how they look at camp and in the pre-season. Maybe Veleno jumps Zadina, maybe Veleno runs out of gas and Zadina hits his stride and looks great. Enjoy reading the early takes, can’t wait to see how things shake out.

Posted by MZ2215 on 09/11/19 at 08:23 AM ET

I have to say I want sold on zadina when he was drafted, at least in relation to what was available. He could have had Hughes. Who the Wings needed more than another forward. So the next year, the Wings have to pass on the forward who was possibly better than Zadina to take the defensemen who might not be as good as Hughes. Thanks, Kenny.

Posted by teldar on 09/11/19 at 09:19 AM ET

This.

I wonder how many people complaining about Zadina were apoplectic when stupid Jim Devellano talked about how disappointing Anthony Mantha’s first injury-shortened season.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 09/11/19 at 10:19 AM ET

I’ve got to say I wasn’t. My complaints were all based on need and availability. Passed on a probable future #1 defensemen with elite IQ and phenomenal when the defense is a disaster to take a project forward who might become a pure scorer. If he hits his ceiling.

Posted by teldar on 09/11/19 at 10:24 AM ET

There was supposed to be a “skating” in there after the phenomenal.

Posted by teldar on 09/11/19 at 10:25 AM ET

a project forward

sure thing, bud

Posted by MZ2215 on 09/11/19 at 10:37 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’m not giving up on Zadina - I haven’t even watched him play all that much.  He was drafted to be a SCORER - not a two way center, a possession player, or shut down guy.  He did well with the Griffins last year but I do recall he was pretty streaky, which you’d expect from a scorer.

We’re just going to have to remember that he is a scorer first and foremost.  Hopefully in time he’ll find more creative ways to shoot the puck and doesn’t become a one-trick (one timer) pony.  A current-day Franzen…something we haven’t had on this team for quite a few years.  Everyone loves the scorer when they are…scoring.  When they aren’t scoring and aren’t contributing much, well…there’s a lot less excitement.

Posted by TreKronor on 09/11/19 at 10:45 AM ET

Paul's avatar

My impression of Zadina from the tourney…

He knows he is good, plays that way and then when things don’t go as expected, he gets down, starts forcing plays even more and the results are what we have seen.

Youth, expectations, drive to be great are all working against him at this point.

Needs to play within himself, that buggy whip type of shot has to go or only used when he is wide open if at all.

As others have said, he needs to distribute the puck more.

Still young, but has an uphill battle at this time.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/11/19 at 10:50 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Zadina showed nothing besides a willingness to shoot from anywhere and everywhere.  His inability to win puck battles along the boards was glaring.  Prospect tourney or not, it was a competition he should have dominated, but fell far short.

Give up on him? Not yet.  Be down on his chances of transitioning to the NHL? Absolutely.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 09/11/19 at 11:26 AM ET

The best players of that style (and no direct comparison) require a great complimentary set up man.  Look at Hull and Oates, or Ovie and Backstrom- a tournament like this just isn’t the same as seeing what he can do with the right talent on his other wing or up the middle.  The skill is there and he did just try to do too much in the games I watched but he wasn’t getting the feeds he needs either and this team never played together and honestly nobody can say it was close to NHL or AHL level quality passing.

Posted by SevensForTed on 09/11/19 at 12:53 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Man that was a good game.  I’m super excited by where Veleno, Kuffner, and Seider are going, and hope to see Smith displace a 4th liner on the big roster.  Seider already looks like he could hold his own in the big leagues, though he needs to fill out a little more.  I think you nailed it with Zadina, Paul, he’s gotta manage his own expectations a little better and settle down.  He also needs to come up with a few more spots to shoot from other than the right faceoff dot.  SevensForTed is also right - we need to get him his Adam Oates along with a big net front presence player to crash around and create shooting lanes.  Give the kid time to develop mentally as well as physically and he’ll find his stride.

It was cool to glimpse a little bit of the future of the Wings this weekend, glad they streamed it.  Also George Malik has a great write up on his blog.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 09/11/19 at 01:12 PM ET

Thanks, Dave.  I didn’t see any of his notes on that gigantic sumbitch Soderblom (sp?).  I didn’t find anything impressive about him other than his wingspan took up 2/3 of the ice.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 09/11/19 at 01:33 PM ET

MZ2215.
Zadina was considered a great scoring prospect. He was never considered a great guy in all aspects from the get-go and absolutely NHL ready. He was considered to need to do some work. He’s shown he still needs some work. I’m not saying he’s a bust. I’m saying the Wings could have picked up a guy they needed more who was generally thought to be NHL ready, to my memory, because of hockey IQ and skating.

Is any of that wrong?

Posted by teldar on 09/11/19 at 02:28 PM ET

Should have added, or you can just be snarky.

Posted by teldar on 09/11/19 at 02:29 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 09/11/19 at 01:12 PM ET

It was a fun game too watch! But all the Wings games were fun. I am glad they decided to stream all of them.

Veleno was amazing but I cannot say I am surprised by this. He look good last preseason and the tournament.
Just because Zadina did not score does not mean he did not have a good tournament. The first two games he was playing his one way game, but the other games he was backchecking some. Unless he does something pretty special in the preseason, he should go to the AHL, IMHO.

I was amazed how good these guy looked when they were clicking. Looking forward to the preseason.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 09/11/19 at 05:24 PM ET

Posted by teldar on 09/11/19 at 02:28 PM ET

Nah man, you nailed it. Prior to the draft everyone said Hughes was a guaranteed future top pairing guy while Zadina was regarded as an incomplete project player that could possibly make it to the league some day if he gets lucky

Posted by MZ2215 on 09/12/19 at 06:41 AM ET