Abel to Yzerman

Detroit Players On Waivers Today

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

OlderThanChelios's avatar

... and Svechnikov

Well, that’s interesting.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/11/21 at 12:18 PM ET

I’d be surprised if he clears. I’ve been pulling for the guy, he can’t seem to catch a break with the injuries.

Posted by ChillDistiller from Michigan on 01/11/21 at 12:42 PM ET

I would have to think that with Svetch’s injury history, plus this current injury….. that nobody will take him.
He will clear.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 01/11/21 at 12:50 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Unless the Canes want a brother duo.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/11/21 at 12:51 PM ET

...
Unless the Canes want a brother duo.

This.

I hope he clears though…

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 01/11/21 at 12:54 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

Like Gretchen, the Wings are no longer trying to make “Svech” happen.

Posted by Ajax19 on 01/11/21 at 01:58 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’d still like to see Svech get a chance, and seeing Bobby Ryan on this team and Svech not is…well, kind of really annoying to me.

This is probably their best chance to get him to clear waivers this year though, since he’s out with an undisclosed injury that no one knows the extent of.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/11/21 at 02:04 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

IF Neilsen was waived (big if) and cleared and ended up playing in GR how much money would that save the Wings?  Now i understand the Wings are not up against the cap but gaining roster space seems a premium right now. Nielsen may be better served as a role model in the AHL than on the big team. Unless a minor miracle transpires and his game dramatily improves.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/11/21 at 02:07 PM ET

AzWingsFan's avatar

I believe it is just over 1 million that is saved by demoting a contract the rest still counts toward total cap

Posted by AzWingsFan on 01/11/21 at 02:10 PM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 01/11/21 at 02:04 PM ET

It was reported that he is now healthy and was even on the ice today.

I still don’t think any team takes a chance on him.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 01/11/21 at 02:23 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 01/11/21 at 02:04 PM ET

I don’t mind Ryan so much, because I think he has the potential to return a real positive deadline bounty, what really bothers me is the Gagner and moreso Erne combo meal of nothingness, this just reeks of Ken Holland, but he’s Yzerolland 2.0 so broom lift rug, disappears.

That said, his knee could be damaged and/or there’s a component of his game that will always keep him from being a regular NHLer, Will be interesting to see where he goes, and if he turns into something

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/11/21 at 03:52 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

You know, as soon as I hit Submit I also thought about Gagner.  So between Ryan, Gagner, and Erne, I’m really not happy to see Svech not getting a chance.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/11/21 at 04:02 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Can I assume that some of the waiver players will be on the taxi squad and are going through waivers now with everyone else so they won’t have to again in Feb when the AHL starts?

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 01/11/21 at 05:22 PM ET

I’m afraid he’ll be claimed if for no other reasons than
he’s a fairly big, reasonably skilled guy who is not known as
lazy or an attitude problem. Our org may think he has sustained too much damage to have much upside. Other orgs may or may not agree. But looking at at least a few dozen names on waivers, Svechnikov jumps out to me as a fairly recent mid-first round pick. That pedigree and maybe even his name might intrigue more teams. Especially since it’s not like he’s wildly underachieved. He just hasn’t been healthy enough for anyone to really know who or what he could be with a real chance.

As someone with a wealth of zero hockey management, coaching or scouting experience under my belt I’d claim him. Not so much because of the former first round pick bias, but because he could still surprise with a legit chance to play a full (56 game) season. Hate to say it, but maybe he’s had so much bad luck in Detroit he would benefit psychologically from a fresh start. Carolina could use a bit more size with a little grit and skill at forward, too. I’ll cheer for him whatever happens.

Posted by lefty.30 on 01/11/21 at 05:55 PM ET