Abel to Yzerman

Darren McCarty On Mike Babcock

from Nolan Bianchi of the Detroit News,

Four-time Stanley Cup champion Darren McCarty, who won three Cups under Hall-of-Fame coach Scotty Bowman, was the latest retired player to detail the experience with Babcock behind the bench. McCarty told hosts of the “Locked On Red Wings Podcast” that the two-time Cup winner “is one of those ‘belittling’ guys.”

“You always trusted Scotty (Bowman) because you respected him,” McCarty said. “I couldn’t say that about Babcock. … He’s the most egotistical person I’ve ever met, and I don’t understand that. Because like I said, I played with so many Hall-of-Famers, that when guys that are allowed to be that way, don’t act that way, and then you act that way, I don’t have respect for that.”

Still, the experience wasn’t all negative on McCarty’s end.

“I would say Mike Babcock is the greatest X’s and O’s, video preparation coach. Stats, I love stats, you’re all prepared like that,” McCarty said. “His practices are better than games. The way that he does the video, does the preparation, does all that stuff, I’m taking a page out of Mike Babcock’s book, not Scotty Bowman’s book.”

more from McCarty...

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Mike Babcock only won one Cup, not two like the writer suggests.

Posted by bababooey on 05/17/20 at 09:52 AM ET

Wow, Babcock must’ve been a real tyrant, making so many grown men cry.

Glad all these heroes are coming out of the woodwork years after instead of when it was actually happening.

Posted by BaromirBragr on 05/17/20 at 10:35 AM ET

Babcock won in 2003 with the ducks. Wings 2008. Thats 2.

Posted by Redbird1 from Pacific northwest on 05/17/20 at 01:44 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

In 2003 the Ducks lost to Jersey in Game 7. So that makes it 1 Cup and 2x Game 7 loss for Uncle Mike.

Posted by alukacs on 05/17/20 at 02:50 PM ET

Babcock won in 2003 with the ducks. Wings 2008. Thats 2.

Wow

Posted by godblender on 05/17/20 at 02:53 PM ET

Sorry.  My bad miss read . In finals.

Posted by Redbird1 from Pacific northwest on 05/17/20 at 03:11 PM ET

The story about DMac’s GWG in ‘97 was a real tearjerker.

Sorry…

That ‘97 SCF GWG still gets to me.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 05/17/20 at 03:33 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Its tiresome to hear McCarty badmouth people, and for reporters to still write about it.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/17/20 at 07:08 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

This is a heck of a compliment.  It doesn’t matter though, because people are going to skim over because they only want to read what they want to hear:

Posted by TreKronor on 05/18/20 at 10:52 AM ET