Abel to Yzerman

Could The Edmonton Oilers Be Targeting Andreas Athanasiou?

via Jim Matheson tweets,

Lots of names being tossed out for Oilers at trade deadline if in buying mood but I still think player Ken Holland would most like is AA (Andreas Athanasiou) because he knows he needs more speed with his forward group. Athanasiou having awful year (19 pts, -35) but he's top 6 F.

I'd like to log how many calls Holland and Yzerman have on a weekly basis, catching up, throwing out names. Colleagues and friends and that often equates to a good trading partner

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

If AA gets traded then he might as well trade everybody and build around the kids in GR.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 01/31/20 at 04:26 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I’d like to log how many calls Holland and Yzerman have on a weekly basis, catching up,

I’m guessing the calls sort of go like this:

” Hey Steve, it’s your ol buddy Kenny.”

“Hey Ken, I’m a little busy, how can I help you?”

“Interested in trading AA..?”

“Sure!!...as long as you agree to take Abby, Nielsen too”

“I’ll kick the tires on that Steve. Oh! gotta go. Sheehan’s agent is here to discuss his 5 year extension.”.

hmmm

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/31/20 at 04:45 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Matheson again,

If Holland is interested in Athanasiou (of course he is), presumably rights to Puljujarvi would be likely talking point, plus something else. Just throwing this against the wall, and maybe it’ll stick….

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/31/20 at 04:59 PM ET

Forget Puljujarvi, Yzerman should start the ask at Evan Bouchard and a first rounder.

Posted by BaromirBragr on 01/31/20 at 06:31 PM ET

My first thought as well BB.  If we move AA, it would be nice to get a blue chip D prospect back vs another reclaimation forward prospect/project.  Anything less would be giving him away.

Posted by ThatGuy on 01/31/20 at 06:34 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/31/20 at 04:59 PM ET

Magnus has underachieved and seems to want to get paid before doing anything (($3.4 M AAV) Will that stick to Stevie Ys Office Wall, I doubt KH will fool StevieY.

He is a pain in the A$$ and wants to play only in the NHL, now RFA across the pond

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 01/31/20 at 11:49 PM ET

I doubt they even consider moving Bouchard.

But it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Also Ethan Bear has done really well for them as a
top-four, puck moving D. Didn’t seem like he was really
considered as more than having an outside shot at the 6/7 spot.
Came to camp in great shape and was a revelation.

So I doubt they’d move Bear now either but more realistic might be
Caleb Jones or Dmitri Samorukov, plus a pick.

William Lagesson and Joel Persson are two other D who have
gotten into some games this season and are a little older.

This would obviously really be selling low on AA.
Jim Matheson flatly calling him a top-six forward says
something about his ability. And you can imagine how much they
would covet an extremely fast, still young, winger with great hands and moves
who can play at the pace of their top centers and finish outlet passes from
their improving puck-moving D corps. I think it’s pretty safe to expect AA is right back at around 30+ goals in a top-six role with centers like McDavid, Draisaitl, or Nugent-Hopkins, and a better defense to get him the puck.

Even better for Edmonton, AA can’t expect that much more money
next year, coming off this disastrous season.

I’m sure Holland would love to turn the Puljujarvi distraction into
AA. But it’s hard to know if the former is any closer to being a reliable
top-nine forward or if his upside is any better than 3rd line.
I would still want at least one of Jones or Samorukov along with him in any deal,
assuming Holland refuses to move Bear, Bouchard, or Broberg.

Posted by lefty.30 on 02/01/20 at 12:20 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Good stuff, Lefty!

Remember KH is still stuck with Pajarvii who might pull a Puljarvi (Swede) , he thinks he is great, RFA this year.  Stats from the get go show limp wrists.

AA should get more $$ than the Crying Swede.  I see what you mean, with AA performance.  Something must be brewing in his head??  Blashill is a good guess. When playing his hockey he gets fans out of their seats, linemates get open ice.  Fil could have the whole rink and still avoid the corners.
Bear sort of just popped on the scene.  Hard, honest worker, some talent…me , I would lean towards keeping him and give the Wings Picks.

I would still take picks AND take the best player available.  Old Jimmy D didn’t mention AA in his babble but he might have been seeing Cows.

If Wings get #1 pick they have to pick LaFrenierre. Being in Canada I see Oilers a lot and saw the next   LaFrenierre.  He is #1 the est fill in behind him.  Stevie will probably go off the board. Trade pick #1 for multiple picks(this yr and the future).

Still 5 yrs from something competitive, maybe less with the #1 pick

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 02/01/20 at 02:01 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Remember, Edmonton only fantasy players, media sucks there. I not only have listen to him but watch him.  Their whole media gruop TV, Print, is not great.  HSJ would get back into KH’s head and pockets.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 02/01/20 at 02:08 PM ET