Abel to Yzerman

Could Joel Quenneville End Up With The Wings?

Jared Clinton of The Hockey News with 7 possible destinations for Joel Quenneville,

Who better to replace Blashill with than Quenneville, too? There are no standout coaching prospects in Detroit’s system and Quenneville could help pump some life into a team that has looked lost at times over the past few seasons.

And while we don’t want to get too far ahead of ourselves, wouldn’t it be somewhat enticing for Quenneville to head to Detroit if, say, Steve Yzerman also hopped aboard with the Red Wings at some point next summer? It’s been speculated that Yzerman, who stepped down from his post in Tampa Bay, could be a candidate to fill a role in Detroit next season. And Red Wings fans would no doubt be excited about a pairing of ‘Stevie Y’ and ‘Coach Q.’

a bit more on Detroit and the other teams...

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

FYI, Coach Q has a contract with Chicago for $6M this season and next season too.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/06/18 at 05:29 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Its sooooo funny, Coach Q was nothing but a sub par coach with a quality mustache until he walked into a team with 4 stars in their prime and all of a sudden, Q was a top coach, and Bowman was the GM of all envy, well my my have the mighty fallen.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 11/06/18 at 05:31 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Had a guy at work tell me about the Q firing, all excited because he said you know damn well Chris Illitch will get both Q and Stevie Y to take over the rebuild. I told him he has to first convince me Chris Illitch cares enough about the Red Wings to do such a thing.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 11/06/18 at 05:32 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I just don’t have a whole lot of interest in Q in Detroit.  If the team was a powerhouse and had some good talent, I could see it.  But I don’t perceive Q as being the kind of guy who’s going to be incredibly beneficial to a bunch of young kids.

Posted by TreKronor on 11/06/18 at 05:33 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I can’t tell, is this about Q or Babcock?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 11/06/18 at 05:34 PM ET

Michael Scott no

Posted by aaron in phoenix from Section 102 on 11/06/18 at 05:55 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 11/06/18 at 05:33 PM ET

Agreed.  Coaching might get DET what, 3 or 4 extra points this season in the standings?  In the end, the youngsters need to develop.  That’s all that matters, and all that is going to truly fix things.

Posted by Primis on 11/06/18 at 05:56 PM ET

I’ll try again
Michael Scott no

Posted by aaron in phoenix from Section 102 on 11/06/18 at 05:59 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I’ll take a pass on Quenville ...thank you very much. I don’t think Scotty Bowman & Babcock combined would make much difference with this group of players. Maybe in 2 years I would feel different, but not now.

Posted by Down River Dan on 11/06/18 at 06:05 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

He is from Windsor, Canada.

I doubt he comes here.

Not sure Chicago and Bowman get all the credit for his success in this league. He took St. Louis to the Conference finals against a stud Colorado team and held their own, even though they lost.

STL 1996–97 40 18 15 7 — (83) 4th in Central 2 4 .333 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals (DET)
STL 1997–98 82 45 29 8 — 98 3rd in Central 6 4 .600 Lost in Conference Semifinals (DET)
STL 1998–99 82 37 32 13 — 87 2nd in Central 6 7 .462 Lost in Conference Semifinals (DAL)
STL 1999–2000 82 51 19 11 1 114 1st in Central 3 4 .429 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals (SJ)
STL 2000–01 82 43 22 12 5 103 2nd in Central 9 6 .600 Lost in Conference Finals (COL)
STL 2001–02 82 43 27 8 4 98 2nd in Central 5 5 .500 Lost in Conference Semifinals (DET)
STL 2002–03 82 41 24 11 6 99 2nd in Central 3 4 .429 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals (VAN)

Not sure how people get their take on things without looking at some stats. I guess it’s more fun to post something bombastic to up your bravado then to use real information. IDK

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 11/06/18 at 06:09 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I’ll pass on Quenneville.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 11/06/18 at 06:12 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

My response on the stats and his time with the Blues: today’s league is much different than 15 years ago.

Posted by TreKronor on 11/06/18 at 06:20 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

For once I agree completely.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 11/06/18 at 06:27 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I’ll pass on Quenneville.

I agree with the other posters. Never impressed with Q. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 11/06/18 at 06:59 PM ET