Abel to Yzerman

Coming To Terms With A Couple Of Steel Firms

It's not submission.  We're not Blues fans, for god's sake.  It's short-term acceptance.   For a very brief period of time we've come to understand that this franchise's singular goal is to extend the playoff streak.  That's organizationally.  They're thinking of nothing else. They expect nothing other than just getting in.

It's why Pittsburgh landed two captains, both better than the one they already had.  Minnesota improved. Columbus did and so did Boston.  The Diggers hint that we kicked Jagr's tire but not hard enough.  We're also reminded that the Wings committed to a youth movement when injuries hit us in February?  Ok.

I call it giving up.  But that's just my isolated opinion, I'm sure.

But only for a short period of time, and only in the eyes of Holland and his team of equal-voiced advisors.  Here's why we have legitimate reason for hope:

There is no way Henrik Zetterberg views this as a gloss-over year.  There is no way that a competitive athlete can be this close to the playoffs, and therefore the Cup, and view this postseason as a nice-to-be-here deal.

But it's not Hank we worry about.  Or Datsyuk. It's not Kronwall or Howard or even the young defense.  It's not Nyquist or whoever else Uncle Mike puts in there on any given night.

Three things must happen if this team is going to go all UM on us and "shock the world", and it would be a horrific shock to those who despise us, wouldn't it?

Franzen must be the guy we used to know.  Actually, we never really knew him.  He is the guy we know now because the guy we want him to be has only been around for rare glimpses, but thankfully those glimpses were enough for Tick Tock to ensure the guy we do know will be around for a long, long time.  Who has the ability to get under his skin, like Yzerman got under Fedorov's? Like Bowman got under Shanahan's? Putting him at center, telling him to "choose a line" and then "dominate"?  That's not going to cut it.  The most frustrating Wing of our time, without question.

Filppula.  Does he realize that if he actually performs for the next two months he can write his own ticket?  If Wally plays even close to his potential he could be looking at an epic payday in June or July or whenever Gary decides to let teams other than us sign free agents this summer.  I'm tired of him and I'm anxious to see him go, but I wouldn't mind an explosion of talent that carries us where few outside of the 19 of us really want us to go.

Helm.  Poor, sweet, innocent Darren by god Helm.  I'm telling you right now that if we get Helm back healthy and if those two fuchtards I mentioned above can play the way baby jesus wants them to? We have a shot.  If we don't get two out of those three? Done like dinner after one just like Kenny and the rationalizers expect and accept.

The three paragraphs above, plus the one sentence that preceded comprise the most obvious thoughts a Wing fan has ever typed. I get that. But it doesn't make them any less critical.  Mule, Wally and God.  We roll with them, or go out whimpering awash in flagellation and excuses from Kenny and his posse.

It's a Live Blog, you bitches.   I once called the Blues the best team in the Western Conference. Now I just call them the 8 seed, if they're lucky...just like the not so distant good old days.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›      Next »

RWBill's avatar

The randomness of interference calls is maddening.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/07/13 at 01:10 PM ET

I have seen well over 1000 games n the last dozen or so years, and I could honestly not tell you what constitutes an interference call.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/07/13 at 01:12 PM ET

Based on what they started calling after the 2005 lockout that was sure interference, however hundreds of other “worse” examples have gone uncalled.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/07/13 at 12:19 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

When I took Rambo to H2H, we went to Greektown - - nothing like I remember.

Though American Coney Island hadn’t changed one iota smile

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/07/13 at 12:22 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

It’s funny to see that major tv networks in any country have their useless “experts” stating the obvious every chance they get.

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 04/07/13 at 12:23 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Tigers and Verlander are on TBS - - good intermission watching

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/07/13 at 12:27 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Busy day.

Tigers also playing now vs Damn Yankees, AND, Call of Duty World Team Championships in final rounds today streaming live from Los Angeles.  Winning 4-man team receives $400,000, second place team $200,000, total prize money $1,000,000.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/07/13 at 12:27 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Not too long ago I was downtown when I realized I was at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull and didn’t even realize it. I knew the stadium was gone, but it was sad and surreal at the same time.

Posted by Down River Dan on 04/07/13 at 01:14 PM ET

Last time I was back home was 2009. Right before the demolition was complete. My grandparents got a couple of folding chairs from Tiger Stadium after one of the remodelings. Family heilooms now.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/07/13 at 12:27 PM ET

Hola, Amigo.  Checking in at the start of the second and I see a scoreless game.  So I guess that’s okay???

Right?

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/07/13 at 12:29 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 04/07/13 at 01:23 PM ET

It is painful, even in basketball.  Mute and internet streaming help save the day.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/07/13 at 12:29 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Tigers and Verlander are on TBS - - good intermission watching

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Looking for a “D” man on 04/07/13 at 01:27 PM ET

Thanks, Okie!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/13 at 12:30 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

that’s okay???

Right?

STL with the better chances SYF,  Jimmah witha couple big saves.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/07/13 at 12:30 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Might as well mute the sound.  They’re not talking about the game anyway.

raspberry

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/13 at 12:33 PM ET

OK bitches a couple of things.

Gamewrecker status:  ACHIEVED

Secondly, I was right down on the ice next to the Wing bench, so therefore I got to see the Wings “attack” in the second period only.  Eff me.  That second period was so damn pile of shit bad, that I don’t even know what to say about it.  I am also really, really tired of seeing number 93 on the ice.  He makes me hate Babcock.  Like truly.  His ass needs to be scratched.  I know, he’s put up some point lately.  I don’t fuching care, he is without a doubt the laziest Wing I have ever seen.  At one point during the game Franzen skated… er glided, right past us and my coworker that I went to the game with(doesn’t follow hockey and didn’t even know Franzen’s name) leaned over and said “He seems like kind of a bum.”  I have to admit that I was a bit shocked that it is that obvious.  So why is it OK for Bruner to get scratched earlier in the year and then demoted for not putting up points, but when Johan goes in a slump he gets more ice time and usually bumped up to the top line, if he’s not already there, so that he can “get it going”.

I’m probably being a bit over the top, but after seeing him float out there live and in person, it’s just wickedly frustrating.  I don’t think I can be convinced that he cares much.

Other than that, the game was frigging awesome.  At least as many Wings fans there as Yotes fans.  To the point of humor really.  Really awesome experience.  The guy right behind me was from Muskegon, and had Abdelkader’s dad as a 5th grade teacher.  Frigging cool.  I really need to see a home game though.

Here Kitty Kitty.

Oh yeah, my goal is to take the gamewrecker status into the playoffs.  No one take that shit from me.  I earned it and you can’t have it.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/07/13 at 12:05 PM ET

And the sad thing is, Deuce, we can see the same from the ‘Net.  Thanks for the look-see.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/07/13 at 12:33 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

The Golden Fleece. Friendliest cockroaches ever. My favorite restaurant in Greektown.

Let’s Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/07/13 at 12:36 PM ET

Nice line change by the B’lose there.  Guy 10 feet from the bench and his replacement was already in the zone.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/07/13 at 12:36 PM ET

STL with the better chances SYF,  Jimmah witha couple big saves.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Looking for a “D” man on 04/07/13 at 01:30 PM ET

Thank you, Sir.

Seeing the B’Lose with that third or fourth line forechecking in Dong’s crease.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/07/13 at 12:36 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

#65 will be even more formibdible when he puts on another 20 lbs

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/07/13 at 12:36 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

And Edzo IcePatch has to bring up the Hawks.

raspberry

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/13 at 12:36 PM ET

Who the fuch cares about Patrice Bergeron, Eddie icepatch???

Game on mute.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/07/13 at 12:37 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

They are askin Dats to do too much, someone else on that line has to take responsibility for the puck instead of just dumping it to him all the time

Posted by Hootinani on 04/07/13 at 12:38 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Nyquist is dogged on the puck carrier - - #13/lite

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/07/13 at 12:38 PM ET

Don’t be glorifying that shit, NBC.  Wings were shooting 30-40 feet out with clear lanes..  ANY friggin goaltender can make those saves.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/07/13 at 12:38 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

The old adage is true… you can never go back.  I make a trip back every fall for our “Manly Man’s Weekend” and nearly break down in tears going through the old neighborhoods on the east side.

Man, ain’t it the truth.  The place is a heartbreaking mess.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/07/13 at 12:39 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Let’s Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/07/13 at 01:36 PM ET

Had octopus there once, not half bad

Posted by Hootinani on 04/07/13 at 12:39 PM ET

Is that brick road still there at The Corner?

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/07/13 at 12:40 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Excellent play by #65, again

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/07/13 at 12:40 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by SYF from the bottom of a pint of Guinness on 04/07/13 at 01:38 PM ET

Yeah but they have their mandatory anti-Wings falating that they had to oblige so beggers can’t be chosers

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/07/13 at 12:40 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

DeKeyser is making Tarasenko his Bitch today.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/07/13 at 12:41 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Yak has a very good point shot

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/07/13 at 12:41 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Octopus!  ON THE ICE!  Whoo-hoo!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/13 at 12:44 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Slippery little suckers

Posted by Hootinani on 04/07/13 at 12:44 PM ET

The octopus!

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/07/13 at 12:44 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Al Sobotka will probably be fined for that.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/07/13 at 12:44 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Go Al!  Octopi!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/07/13 at 12:45 PM ET

calquake's avatar

My favorite place in Greektown was always Hellas Greektown Cafe.  Loved the Ouzo, the Roditas red wine and the “Ooopa” flaming cheese with bread.

Posted by calquake on 04/07/13 at 12:45 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Excellent, Al.

now fire up, boys;

lets grind out a goal.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/07/13 at 12:45 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Dare I say Flip looks like he cares today…kinda’?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/07/13 at 12:45 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

You know…for all the NBC games the Wings have been on this year they haven’t ONCE had a Wing as the “Name that squirt”

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/07/13 at 12:45 PM ET

E52 just crushed some B’Lose soul.  I happee.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/07/13 at 12:45 PM ET

Do the B’lose all take a class called “How to be the third man in on a scrum”?

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/07/13 at 12:45 PM ET