Abel to Yzerman

Coming To Terms With A Couple Of Steel Firms

It's not submission.  We're not Blues fans, for god's sake.  It's short-term acceptance.   For a very brief period of time we've come to understand that this franchise's singular goal is to extend the playoff streak.  That's organizationally.  They're thinking of nothing else. They expect nothing other than just getting in.

It's why Pittsburgh landed two captains, both better than the one they already had.  Minnesota improved. Columbus did and so did Boston.  The Diggers hint that we kicked Jagr's tire but not hard enough.  We're also reminded that the Wings committed to a youth movement when injuries hit us in February?  Ok.

I call it giving up.  But that's just my isolated opinion, I'm sure.

But only for a short period of time, and only in the eyes of Holland and his team of equal-voiced advisors.  Here's why we have legitimate reason for hope:

There is no way Henrik Zetterberg views this as a gloss-over year.  There is no way that a competitive athlete can be this close to the playoffs, and therefore the Cup, and view this postseason as a nice-to-be-here deal.

But it's not Hank we worry about.  Or Datsyuk. It's not Kronwall or Howard or even the young defense.  It's not Nyquist or whoever else Uncle Mike puts in there on any given night.

Three things must happen if this team is going to go all UM on us and "shock the world", and it would be a horrific shock to those who despise us, wouldn't it?

Franzen must be the guy we used to know.  Actually, we never really knew him.  He is the guy we know now because the guy we want him to be has only been around for rare glimpses, but thankfully those glimpses were enough for Tick Tock to ensure the guy we do know will be around for a long, long time.  Who has the ability to get under his skin, like Yzerman got under Fedorov's? Like Bowman got under Shanahan's? Putting him at center, telling him to "choose a line" and then "dominate"?  That's not going to cut it.  The most frustrating Wing of our time, without question.

Filppula.  Does he realize that if he actually performs for the next two months he can write his own ticket?  If Wally plays even close to his potential he could be looking at an epic payday in June or July or whenever Gary decides to let teams other than us sign free agents this summer.  I'm tired of him and I'm anxious to see him go, but I wouldn't mind an explosion of talent that carries us where few outside of the 19 of us really want us to go.

Helm.  Poor, sweet, innocent Darren by god Helm.  I'm telling you right now that if we get Helm back healthy and if those two fuchtards I mentioned above can play the way baby jesus wants them to? We have a shot.  If we don't get two out of those three? Done like dinner after one just like Kenny and the rationalizers expect and accept.

The three paragraphs above, plus the one sentence that preceded comprise the most obvious thoughts a Wing fan has ever typed. I get that. But it doesn't make them any less critical.  Mule, Wally and God.  We roll with them, or go out whimpering awash in flagellation and excuses from Kenny and his posse.

It's a Live Blog, you bitches.   I once called the Blues the best team in the Western Conference. Now I just call them the 8 seed, if they're lucky...just like the not so distant good old days.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

dougie's avatar

Wow. Come to check out the GDT, and we already got the LB posted. Awesome.

Unlike me. I went to see this band for 3 hours last night, got my car keys kidnapped by a GOOD friend, $75 cab ride home (but the porch light was still on, so it’s all good).

Watch this video, and guess how bad my head hurts.

Now I gotta go mow grass for an hour. I will never drink again

Posted by dougie on 04/07/13 at 10:12 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

LGRW!  Just win baby!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/07/13 at 10:15 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Cliches

“The best is yet to come”

“These are the good old days”

We will be saying ” Remember 2013, awesome”

Don Cherry forgot that Pasha is a Russian and gave him high praise. That’s a touch of karma.

“The mighty Detroit Red Wings”

“The Red Wings got healthy at just the right time”

Adjectives created by this team;

Datsukian, Kronwallian, Lidstrom like,

Detroit had Mud Bruneteau

“Bruneteau is famous for ending the longest game in NHL playoff history. He had been called up to the Red Wings just two weeks earlier and was still trying adjust to the pace of the NHL when he was thrown into his first playoff series. On March 24, 1936 against the Montreal Maroons, Mud scored the winning goal at 16:30 of the sixth overtime (116:30 of total overtime) to win the game for Detroit 1–0. “

It’s going to happen, and the Wolverines winning it all will be outdone by the greatest franchise in sports.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/07/13 at 10:17 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Boy it sure would be nice to have Helm’s non-stop energy to stir things up. As for the Mule, I wonder if there isn’t some sort of underlying issue with him ( concussion ) ? I know he suffered a couple a few years back, and now it seems , at least to me, he doesn’t go into the tough areas. He still has good hands but seldom seems to get himself in position to do any damage.

Posted by Down River Dan on 04/07/13 at 10:25 AM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

Posted by joedaiceman on 04/07/13 at 10:35 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

thanks, Chief.

2 points ...

earn it today, boys.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/07/13 at 10:50 AM ET

gt500x's avatar

I’ve got the feeling that we’ll win this one.

Posted by gt500x on 04/07/13 at 10:55 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Any of you Cosmic Dusters remember the last time the Wing’s were fighting just to get into the playoffs?  It’s too early, and I haven’t had enough coffee to recall.

Yes.  The year was a lifetime ago, 2010.  Chief’s subject of the day, Johan the Ass-Mule, missed most of the season from early on. He rejoined the team, I believe just before the Olympics.  He finished with 27 games played, and 21 points.

When he came back the Wings were mired in 9th place in the inaugural Peloton of Suck.  The Wings immediately went on a win streak to leave the POS behind.  I have more Franzen- oriented POS at work, but this should do.  The Wings earned 17 points in 10 games, roughly corresponding with Ass-Mule’s return.

POS 2010

R48 032710

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/07/13 at 10:56 AM ET

dougie's avatar

I guess that’s the Navy standard.

Posted by joedaiceman on 04/07/13 at 10:35 AM ET

Feel free to disagree with Da Chief. Then think , for just a minute, about what it takes to guarantee you that freedom.

Then pour yourself a big, steaming cup of STFU.

Posted by dougie on 04/07/13 at 10:58 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Then pour yourself a big, steaming cup of STFU.

Posted by dougie on 04/07/13 at 10:58 AM ET

Word

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/07/13 at 11:04 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

And, NHL announces IT IS ON, AGAIN.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/07/13 at 11:06 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

joedaiceman

I’m certain that should be DUH not da.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/07/13 at 11:07 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

“You used to make me laugh my ass off. Now it’s bitch and whine. I guess that’s the Navy standard.”

Can’t block quote from my iPad, but I’ve got a response for you Joe.

I’ve seen two second and a first round exit, a lockout, the exodus of our top three defenseman…one the best ever…and a GM who has done literally nothing to make our team better since Hossa left.  I don’t care about trying, kicking, calling or convening advisors.  He hasn’t done jack shit and that’s just fact.  So, yeah, maybe my school girl mirth has turned a bit jaded and cynical.  I still find myself amusing, which is important to me. If you don’t, you have options.

I’ll ask you this though Joe.  If we were sitting in a bar, drinking a refreshing PBR and talking about the Wings, would we both be all giggly about the state they’re in?  Or would we be discussing them closer to the way I write about them lately?  If you want someone to stay all smiley and blindly true to the organization I think we both know where you can look.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/07/13 at 11:13 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Yes.  The year was a lifetime ago, 2010.

RWBill beat me to this.  Exactly what I was going to say.  A playoff spot was by no means certain that season.

Then pour yourself a big, steaming cup of STFU.

+19

Chief, thanks.  I think you’re exactly right.  I don’t see how god gets back though.  I really feel for that kid.  He was the spark plug of last season’s team until he got that nasty cut on his arm, and he hasn’t been able to get well since.  I think about him, and miss him in the lineup, every game.  Here’s hoping for a small miracle for him.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/13 at 11:14 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Yay, more Edzo, and Doc, and Pierre, and Milbury, and Roenick…

I still say the silver lining in this bipolar season the Wings have been having is the fact there will be less coverage on NBC next season.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/07/13 at 11:27 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

Good morning folks(yea I just got up LOL). I didnt get up to see the Wings lose today. Its a definite needed 2 points today no matter what, and they know it. No laying an egg on national tv this time. Fight like youve never fought before and take 1 of those games in hand away from the Booes. You can lay it all out there as youve got a nice mini break this week. Make it count!

Game On!

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/07/13 at 11:38 AM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

Getting Jagr would have been great. Her combines the good sides of Mule and Bert. Just another opportunity wasted by Kenny to improve the team he likes so much.
Hell what do I know, maybe getting Sammy, Bert and Helm back is the same as having one of the best hockey players ever on your team.

Wings 5-2, Pasha jr. with a multipoint game.

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 04/07/13 at 11:48 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Amen, preacherman . .  and it is even worse than that.

#13 may not play in the NHL after next season - - maybe the best two-way forward of his generation - - don’t forget to add that to Kenny’s genius.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/07/13 at 11:50 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

OK bitches a couple of things.

Gamewrecker status:  ACHIEVED

Secondly, I was right down on the ice next to the Wing bench, so therefore I got to see the Wings “attack” in the second period only.  Eff me.  That second period was so damn pile of shit bad, that I don’t even know what to say about it.  I am also really, really tired of seeing number 93 on the ice.  He makes me hate Babcock.  Like truly.  His ass needs to be scratched.  I know, he’s put up some point lately.  I don’t fuching care, he is without a doubt the laziest Wing I have ever seen.  At one point during the game Franzen skated… er glided, right past us and my coworker that I went to the game with(doesn’t follow hockey and didn’t even know Franzen’s name) leaned over and said “He seems like kind of a bum.”  I have to admit that I was a bit shocked that it is that obvious.  So why is it OK for Bruner to get scratched earlier in the year and then demoted for not putting up points, but when Johan goes in a slump he gets more ice time and usually bumped up to the top line, if he’s not already there, so that he can “get it going”.

I’m probably being a bit over the top, but after seeing him float out there live and in person, it’s just wickedly frustrating.  I don’t think I can be convinced that he cares much.

Other than that, the game was frigging awesome.  At least as many Wings fans there as Yotes fans.  To the point of humor really.  Really awesome experience.  The guy right behind me was from Muskegon, and had Abdelkader’s dad as a 5th grade teacher.  Frigging cool.  I really need to see a home game though.

Here Kitty Kitty.

Oh yeah, my goal is to take the gamewrecker status into the playoffs.  No one take that shit from me.  I earned it and you can’t have it.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/07/13 at 12:05 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

getting Jagr would have been nice for this year, but what about next year?  the dude is in his 40s.

he WAS one of the best hockey players, but he’s not now.  good?  yes.  great?  maybe some nights.  lucky for him it’s a short season or he’d be worn out by now.  I don’t see him playing more than maybe one more season, if that.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/07/13 at 12:10 PM ET

I call it giving up.  But that’s just my isolated opinion, I’m sure.

It’s not your isolated opinion, it’s your less-than-insightful opinion.

Giving up is trading Fil, White, and anyone else vaguely tradeable for picks and prospects.

I’m positive a lot of other Wings fans, and maybe a majority of them, are all hacked off because Holland didn’t trade all kinds of picks and prospects to get a bit better this year.

The lot of you are nuts.

Heck, the best thing for Detroit long term would have been for Holland to give up on the 2013 season.  Move the guys I mentioned, and more.  Stockpile some picks.  Shut down Z before he tears up is groin, cut back Datsyuk’s IT, shut down Sammy, Bert and Helm for the year and bring up some kids.

But he didn’t, more’s the pity.  He’s going to try to do twice what no other GM in the NHL has even done once, namely rebuild an NHL team on the fly while not missing the playoffs at all, much less miss the playoffs to the degree most if not all other rebuilding clubs have to do to actually rebuild.

And you have the jaw-enslackening cluelessness to whine about that.

So, yeah, maybe my school girl mirth has turned a bit jaded and cynical.

Mostly because you just don’t understand how the game of hockey has changed, and how those changes have directly impacted the ability of teams in general, not just Detroit but everybody, to do what you got accustomed to Detroit doing for the years before those changes really took hold.

So, wrapped in that warm cocoon of ignorance, you’re going to blame Holland for not doing enough to keep the Wings competitive.  That’s just… dumb.

I mean, really, really really dumb.  Self-destructively dumb, at least if your pique actually ever mattered.

The GM that drafted D, Z, Fil, Howard, Kronwall, Ericsson, Kindl, Smith, Nyqvist, Andersson, Helm and Abdelkader… who found Brunner, rehabbed Cleary, discovered Franzen… who signed Hasek who won the 2002 Cup for Detroit and then re-acquired Osgood who was huge in the 2008 Cup run and the 2009 Finals run… who made the huge Hossa signing… who went out and got Mike freaking Babcock to coach the team…

That guy has to go?  That guy gets all the blame for the team ‘struggling’ for all of three whole seasons (like, that’s totally forever, dude), and by struggling we mean 158-91-17-18 in the regular season and 13-15 in the playoffs.

That guy.

Just go ring the bell already, Chief.  You’ve been staring at it for months.  Ringy-dingy.  You’ll feel so much better once you do.

It’s pretty obvious you don’t have anywhere near what it takes to be able to cheer for a team that’s not a prohibitive favorite.  I suppose that makes sense considering the way you’ve built your whole shtick around being a strutting frontrunner… I mean, why would you want to stick around and eat all the crap you’ve dished out to other fan bases for the past few years?

That can’t be terribly appealing.

Still, the kind of clueless negativity you’ve given yourself over to is just foolish.  I hope most fans know better than to emulate it.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/07/13 at 12:18 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

msnbcsportsnetwork

some sorta jug band kids show now

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 04/07/13 at 12:26 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Is Gus starting today?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/13 at 12:31 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

The monster is in net…. oh fuch

Posted by gt500x on 04/07/13 at 12:31 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I saw Z out there, though.  That’s good.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/13 at 12:32 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

The monster is in net…. oh fuch

oh, we are so fuched

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/07/13 at 12:34 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

HockeyinDB:  I tried to read the whole thing.  I did.  It’s hard to keep up though.  Because you write so much and so good.  Some words stuck out though that kept distracting me:  nuts, piqué, dingy ding dingy dingy.  Every time I thought I was getting what you keep tossing, not unlike salad, I come back to your use of “piqué”. I’m going to emulate it often.  Enjoy your Sunday little Eddie.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 04/07/13 at 12:34 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/07/13 at 12:18 PM ET

I thought trolls were nocturnal

Posted by Hootinani on 04/07/13 at 12:35 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

pregame song being sung

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 04/07/13 at 12:36 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

ITD - - welcome back, gamewrecker

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/07/13 at 12:36 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Oh thank the hockey gods - it is Jimmah.  Guess Gus was just out there for the warm-ups.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/13 at 12:39 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

pregame song being sung

not by a fat lady I hope

Posted by Hootinani on 04/07/13 at 12:39 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

Oh wait, it’s Howard. Thank goodness.

Posted by gt500x on 04/07/13 at 12:40 PM ET

klank's avatar

Mornin Bishes

60 minutes, boys.  get the bloody 2 points.

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 04/07/13 at 12:40 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Ummm, what channel is this game on?  I can’t find it for nothing?  I thought it was NBC, but there is some racing on.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/07/13 at 12:41 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Hate these sunday matinee games.  Watching the LB from church so you bitches play nice.

oh wait…

nevermind

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/07/13 at 12:41 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Im on the radio till 1:00,

did Ken Kal just say Sheahan is in?

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/07/13 at 12:42 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/07/13 at 12:41 PM ET

its on NBC, not NBC sports if that helps

Posted by Hootinani on 04/07/13 at 12:42 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Im on the radio till 1:00,

did Ken Kal just say Sheahan is in?

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Looking for a “D” man on 04/07/13 at 12:42 PM ET

Yep, 4th line for now

Posted by Hootinani on 04/07/13 at 12:43 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Yes, Sheahan is in, Okie.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/13 at 12:43 PM ET