Abel to Yzerman

Come To Poppa

The Detroit Red Wings have been in the Western Conference for like, I don't know, 30 years. Something like that.  The specifics escape me and most of you know the weight I give facts, anyway.

Well, there are a few--facts, that is--that I like to fall back on. They help me sleep.  They make me feel warm, almost like the Speed Racer footy pajamas I wore my freshman (and only) year at Northern Michigan.

One of those facts is this: the West has belonged to the Wings.  It is ours.  We own it.  I can say "we" because "we" have filled the western arenas. Every game. Every time Detroit's in town.  You've raised prices.  You've whined. You've written letters. And we still...kept...coming.

And the Wings, themselves, have dominated this conference.  Ruled it.  We are, literally, the "arch rival" of every team in the conference. They despise you, the 19.  And they fear them, the Wings.

The Western Conference has been Detroit's bitch from the jump.

And, if it's all the same to you, I'd be pleased as piss-laced punch if we leave on the same arrogant note.

Oh, it's going to be hard.  The Detroit Red Wings have not faced a playoff opponent so heavily favored since the Oilers in the 80's and Philly in '97.

And that will make it so much sweeter.  The Western Conference has belonged to the Detroit Red Wings because Baby Jesus decreed it.  He's not changing his stance now.

Bet against us.  Do it.  I like this team.  I like our chances.  And I like watching Joel Quenneville defecate himself.  I intend to see that 4 times in the next two weeks.

This is a Live Blog, bitches.

LGRW.  You just got in.  You just beat Anaheim.  Now take what's yours.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›      Next »

Norskirama's avatar

I NOW declare Sapphire n tonic to be rather tasty.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/15/13 at 07:54 PM ET

Why my dear friend would you ruin Bombay Sapphire with bubbly tonic sugar water?  Try it on the rocks or keep the bottle in the freezer…please.  Use Fleishman’s for gin and tonic.

Oh and LGRW!!!!!

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 05/15/13 at 07:59 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

No freaking passengers - - you know who I’m talking about, Walter.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/15/13 at 07:59 PM ET

Norskirama's avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/15/13 at 07:47 PM ET

LOVE THIS!!!

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 05/15/13 at 08:00 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

“tradition and passion meet once again”

and they’re both in the same locker room.

*#$%@& CHICAGO

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/15/13 at 08:00 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Nice touch with the Gordie flashback there in the intro.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/15/13 at 08:00 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/15/13 at 07:59 PM ET

Excellent

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/15/13 at 08:01 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

remember, ladies and gentlemen.  and whores.  in the past few years the Wings high flying talent and puck possession team has been beaten by younger, grittier, want-it-more teams.

guess which one we are this time?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/15/13 at 08:01 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Emerick and Olczyk.  Of course.  Barf.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/15/13 at 08:02 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Chicago is not playing a third-string goalie this series.

and their own goalie didn’t get tested.

this is really the first round for Chicago, and they’re complacent.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/15/13 at 08:02 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Who’s balls will Patrick Sharp spear in this series???

Posted by pgoody on 05/15/13 at 08:03 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

thanks to the ONE person who actually clicked my link and watched my video grin

here it is again grin

yes I made it.  years ago.

and it’s still relatable today [/seinfeld]

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/15/13 at 08:04 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Boy, sure am glad we didn’t trade that Zetterman guy for a productive forward mid-season.

Posted by dougie on 05/15/13 at 08:04 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Who’s balls will Patrick Sharp spear in this series???

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/15/13 at 08:04 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Like I said before the playoffs Chief in that long sleep-deprived maniefesto in the liveblog, it’s not about the streak this year.  It’s about torching every bit of the Western Conference we can on the way out, and about putting a lump in the throats of the East.

Step 1, honestly, has been completed.  After taking out ANA, people had to admit “Man, you don’t f*** with the Wings.  Still.”.  And man, whather we all realize it or not, that’s something we wanted.

Now Step 2 is to just completely destroy the memories of CHI and one of LA/SJ…  Leave with one last parting shot, and have that parting shot simply be “Nope”.

This whole entire season can and should be a giant middle finger to the rest of the NHL.

Posted by Primis on 05/15/13 at 08:04 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I’m seriously considering watching this game with the sound muted.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/15/13 at 08:05 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

holy shit

do a Google image search for Pierre McGuire

there are some beauties in there

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/15/13 at 08:05 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Checking in. I’ll take Speed Racer for the win.

I NOW declare myself a 19

19 for everyone!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 05/15/13 at 08:05 PM ET

peiz11's avatar

Well, I have nothing much to say. Chief is right on as usual. Lets “surprise” the experts once again. Lets freaking blow everyone’s minds. Let go red wings!!!!

Posted by peiz11 from Minneapolis on 05/15/13 at 08:05 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

On CBC P.J. Stock said Detroit is in “deep, deep trouble” and better pray for some kind of help in this series.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/15/13 at 08:06 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/15/13 at 08:05 PM ET

Priceless.  ROFL.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/15/13 at 08:06 PM ET

dougie's avatar

P.J. Stock can shampoo my crotch.

Posted by dougie on 05/15/13 at 08:07 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/15/13 at 08:06 PM ET

That’s the same thing Stock thinks when faced with words of more than 2 syllables.

Posted by Primis on 05/15/13 at 08:07 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I somehow thought CBC would have been better than NBCSucks. Apparently not.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/15/13 at 08:08 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

So for the viewer it’s a choice between Mike Milbury and PJ Stock.

Is suicide an option?

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 05/15/13 at 08:08 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Fire up your webcams, sketchy princess is in the house.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/15/13 at 08:08 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Bitches, we got a chance tonight.

But that Corey Crawford has been a freaking wall 1.32 GAA,  0.950 Save%

Got to get some screens in front of him.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/15/13 at 08:09 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/15/13 at 08:04 PM ET

I didnt know he was a member of Devo!

learn something new every day

Posted by Hootinani on 05/15/13 at 08:09 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

LETS GO RED WINGS!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/15/13 at 08:09 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

What a question.
Why do you think you will lose to the Red Wings tonight Mr. Toes?

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 05/15/13 at 08:09 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

this:

Thanks Chief! Howdy 19+
I’m in, I believe, Wings gotta keep showing everyone what their made of!
Plus it’s a special day today, so they gotta Win!
Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!
Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer’s chair on 05/15/13 at 07:43 PM ET

and for those that missed it in the GDT:

Thanks okie!
We’re in, yes! I believe, they gotta Win, today’s a special day!
Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!
Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer’s chair on 05/15/13 at 11:31 AM ET

” ... today’s a special day!”  ===> Happy Birthday!, Little Redhead!!!
L.G.R.W.
Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/15/13 at 11:46 AM ET

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/15/13 at 08:10 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

this is the one and only thing I’ll say in praise of Chicago…their anthem singer is phenomenal.

opera singers do it best.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/15/13 at 08:10 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/15/13 at 08:10 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

looks like someone punched Mule in the face in the pregame skate.

perfect.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/15/13 at 08:10 PM ET

klank's avatar

one shift, one shot, one goal, one period & one game at a time.  LGRW!!

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/15/13 at 08:11 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

that military chick looks like she’s about to shit herself

or she’s having a stroke

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/15/13 at 08:11 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Not bad…....he ain’t no Karen Newman.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 05/15/13 at 08:11 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

opera singers do it best.

The “old school” pipe organ isn’t bad either

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/15/13 at 08:11 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Get started on time boys.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/15/13 at 08:11 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Just remember everyone:

Chicago is way, way, WAY more obsessed with Detroit than Detroit is with them.

For Chicago, DET coming to town is the greatest day in the world.  For the Wings…?  It’s freaking Wednesday.

Posted by Primis on 05/15/13 at 08:12 PM ET

Norskirama's avatar

opera singers do it best.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/15/13 at 08:10 PM ET

Karen is pretty great, but I agree with you , Paul.

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 05/15/13 at 08:12 PM ET