Abel to Yzerman

Blacked Out: COMPLETELY

So the Hawks/Wild started at 8 and the Wings/Ducks at 10:30.  Naturally there's no way, even in regulation, that game would have been over to see the start. I'm cool with that. Used to it. The NHL hasn't been able to crack that code...ever.  Not since the USA Network...PRE-BETTMAN.

I listen to the first on the radio, on my phone. Got it. I'm ok. I know I'll have the game on NBCSN when OT ends in Chicago.

Over. Wild lose.  I like that.

Wings/Ducks. First ten seconds of the second period then...poof.  "Blacked out in your area."  Fine. Switch to Fox Sports SW: "Blacked out in your area."  Fine. Switch to Game Center Live: "Blacked out in your area."

Is this what you envisioned, Commissioner? Really?

This league is a joke.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Heaton's avatar

http://stream.nbcsports.com/liveextra/ ?

Posted by Heaton on 05/01/13 at 12:02 AM ET

RHammer's avatar

sorry to hear that Chief… minute plus left in the 2nd… James Howard continuing to play well as we’re still tied at 1… have you found a working feed?

Posted by RHammer from Traverse City, MI on 05/01/13 at 12:06 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Got one hammer. Thanks. Thanks Heaton.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 05/01/13 at 12:08 AM ET

CatfishTea's avatar

http://www.stream2watch.me/hockey/detroit-red-wings-vs-anaheim-ducks-live-stream  I usually use this site.

Posted by CatfishTea on 05/01/13 at 12:09 AM ET

CatfishTea's avatar

Whoops, should of refreshed before posting.  Anyway, there you go.

Posted by CatfishTea on 05/01/13 at 12:11 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Wow…  This is horrible

Im getting 2 feeds on gamecenter Live, and believe it or not, 1 is from FS Ducks (WTF?), and the other is from NBC with some weird ass comentators, and I know its hard to believe, but they are so bad I kinda miss Olczyk and Emrick (MY GOD, I cant believe I just wrote that, but its true… Sad!)

If you wanna know the feeling of the game, it’s, so far, that kind of tight game, with almost no real plays made, and 2 teams just trying hard to move the puck ahead and stay in the offensive zone
Only scoring chances so far, besides from PP, were from a few turn-overs from the Wings, for the Ducks; and some sweet passing between the Wings on the Duck’s zone.
But thats pretty much it… 2 PP goals, 2 deflections…  Ugly game, but really tense!

Posted by Zqto on 05/01/13 at 12:11 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

And, yeah, it took about 10 minutes to write that…  Damn game was so intense I had to stop about 4 times!

Posted by Zqto on 05/01/13 at 12:13 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Never ever underestimate the NHL’s capacity for pure ass-clownery.  Incompetence, arrogance and sheer naked mutherfuching greed make some sorry-ass bed partners.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/01/13 at 12:14 AM ET

There’s ways around it but no friggin earthly reason you should have to.

I live in Atlanta, and both Carolina and Nashville claim us in the Blackout zone…. WHILE WE HAD THE FRIGGIN THRASHERS HERE.

Here’s a clue Gar. You’ve put GameCenter on every device possible. iPhone. iPad. Android phones & tablets. Xbox. PS3. Apple TV. Roku. Even Windows phone and the new Blackberry and no one friggin buys those! You’ve got hundreds of thousands of users willing to plunk down $180 a year to watch their teams on everything they want, when they want and they still use blackout rules?

Add $20 a year and make it blackout free. It’s called inelastic demand. Ask Paul Krugman to explain it to you. We stick around and pay just about any price.

Posted by CJBear71 on 05/01/13 at 12:20 AM ET

I have gamecenter and it still was working for me tonight.  But, more importantly, for those of you who have gamecenter, you have to get a subscription to unblock-us.com.  I have been using it all year and have avoided blackouts the whole year. It is amazing, I cannot recommend it enough.  I should be blacked out of Blackhawks and Blues games because I go to grad school in central Illinois, but I have used this all year, with my cable package I subscribe to not carrying either networks the teams play on, and have had 0 problems.

It may be too late for this year, depending on if gamecenter stops(which I was under the impression it was going to stop for the playoffs), but I have been able to stream all the CBC streams all year because this website will change your IP address automatically to whatever you need, and will simply give you a Canadian one for the cbc broadcasts.  You get a week free to try it, and its like $5 a month with no subscription.

Haha kind of sounds like I work for them, but I most definitely do not.  Just a very happy customer that wants to spread the love.  It even works for PS3 or other platforms for gamecenter.

Posted by Bro V Wade19 on 05/01/13 at 12:44 AM ET

Not even too late for those Wings fans tonight with gamcenter to sign up for your free trial, do the easy change, and restart the computer, and put the Wings game on if you act fast.

Posted by Bro V Wade19 on 05/01/13 at 12:46 AM ET

Look.

1) At this point if you’re not streaming games online from the sites who provide such a service I have no idea why you feel like you can complain about not being able to watch a game.  Seriously, do like five minutes of research and it’s a problem solved forever.  It rhymes with aye tee dee dot nyet, for bleeps sake.

2) Better goalie tonight, the guy making 5.3 next year or the guy making 4,5 next year, who by the way also isn’t the best goalie on his team?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 05/01/13 at 01:13 AM ET

HockeyinHD - the point is we shouldn’t have to research the net, come up with tricks to get around blackout zones, and do a ton of extra work to watch a nationally televised game.  I also shouldn’t have to go to weird pirate sites with a ton of malware on them.

The NHL has done a great job providing a quality, secure stream for almost every game in the regular season. Go the extra mile, work out some deals to share the revenue, and just charge a premium for blackout free games. Don’t go crazy - I won’t spend $50 bucks more. But round it up from $179 to an even $200 during a normal year for piece of mind and the ability to watch my team anywhere on any device? I’m down for that.

Of course I’d love for it to be included In the base price. But this is the real world and we know the networks & teams aren’t going to bend the blackout rules without more money.

Posted by CJBear71 on 05/01/13 at 01:40 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

All year long. All year long. The NHL “gave” me a GameCenter Live package to promote their stuff, and all I’ve been able to do this year is talk about blackouts with fellow fans and try to find streams because the NHL Network chooses to gobble up a game and suddenly people who’ve paid a ton of $ to watch the Wings on Center Ice or GCL can’t see shit. The blackouts are loosely applied and rarely adjusted—so the “partial blackout becomes a full-game blackout” concept is a pretty common complaint.

That ain’t right given the amount of money the NHL rakes in from packages it sells people for the sake of doing little more than frustrating them.

Also: Howard was the only reason the Wings were in the game. I’ll take $5.3.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/01/13 at 01:54 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Look.

Fuch off. Your act is old.  The point is we shouldn’t have to.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 05/01/13 at 02:05 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

HIHD, the NHL has a lot of fans who aren’t rocket surgeons like you, or even pharmacists like the rest of us.  I had figured you counted on this general incompetence from the hockey-viewing public since every single thing you post lays on the condescension so very masterfully.

Could you potentially concede that there are folks who can’t manage the feeds?  Perhaps there’s even fans who feel that paying for a service to watch the games means they should’ve be required to search for feeds online?  There could potentially be people who object to the feed sites because of the content of the pop up adds, the quality and it’s effect on their eyeballs, because their network service isn’t good enough or, heck, because the sky is blue.  The reason doesn’t really matter.

The NHL is losing all of those eyeballs on their product because of the problems you’re circumventing through your sheer and utter genius, which translates into adverting dollars lost and oppurtunity wasted.  No other league has this much trouble.  The freaking Crossfit Games were watchable on ESPN2 while the blackhawks and wild were in overtime.  The Red Wings, which is only the most popular team in the league, were not.  That’s stupid, no matter how stupid anyone who can’t find a feed must be.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/01/13 at 02:44 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Chief, I just got an email indicating that you were one of several million people in Southern California who did not have access to the game. MILLION. I’m about to fall over but I think this might be worth investigating if you have the spare energy.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/01/13 at 03:20 AM ET

VooX's avatar

HockeyinHD is right.  What the fuch is your problem, Chief?  How dare you spend your hard earned money for a service that promises home and away live broadcasts and actually expect to see the game you want to watch?  What kind of twisted fuch are you to demand this sort of service?

You should be on your knees thanking Gary Bettman for giving you hockey in the first place.  This was shaping up to be another great “offseason” for the players until he decided to ruin that plan and let those ungrateful and greedy bastards play hockey.

If you actually expect to watch hockey without being a VPN expert with a series of underground connections on the Gore for illegal access to one of the NHL tubes, while paying for your Gamecenter Live subscription, then you are a damn fool.  Didn’t you read the fine print, shit for brains?  It clearly says that Li’l Gary Bettman reserves the right to fuch you up the ass anytime he wants to.  Your subscription pays for that privilege.

So while the rest of us hack an NHL feed, keep on expecting your paid subscription to work, ass-hole.  Who the fuch do you think you are?

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 05/01/13 at 03:46 AM ET

monkey's avatar

This is the NHL as we know it.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/01/13 at 07:39 AM ET

monkey's avatar

The guy PAYS for NBC Sports Network, PAYS for Fox Sports SW, PAYS for GameCenter Live, and STILL can’t watch the game.  He has every right to complain.  That is bull.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/01/13 at 07:41 AM ET

monkey's avatar

There’s the rub- we would pay extra for a blackout proof subscription.  Instead we’re forced into pirated feeds.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/01/13 at 07:55 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Chief, that is total BS, even for the bush league known as the NHL.

On the bright side; i can say in total honesty, and absent sarcasm, you didnt miss much.

For a Wingaholic, that was an ugly ass game.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/01/13 at 07:55 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Any professional sports league that starts a franchise because of a stupid feckin Disney movie is a bush-ass-league. The NHL blows and if the Wings ever moved out of state, or out of the D for that matter, I’d. Be. Out!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/01/13 at 08:00 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 05/01/13 at 01:13 AM ET

Why do you even bother anymore?

Your crusade to educate us—the unwashed, ignorant masses—is obviously failing.

The trolling, baiting, and flaming is, as the Chief said, old. Why not take it somewhere else? I’m sure there are plenty of folks on MLive who could use a good “learning.”

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 05/01/13 at 09:16 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I’m so tired of trolls.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/01/13 at 09:34 AM ET

Thag's avatar

A friend of mine in Europe turned me on to this site a couple years ago - http://www6.hockeystreams.com/

No blackout restrictions ever.  They even show minor and junior games.

$99/yr - never had a problem with it.

Posted by Thag from DC on 05/01/13 at 09:49 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

the nhl’s game center blackouts have shown me how to save a bunch of money next year. about 20% of the games I wanted to see this year were blacked out. next year I won’t waste my time with the facade, I’ll just watch the pirate streams.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/01/13 at 09:55 AM ET

Paul's avatar

You know what the real problem is… If this happened with NFL, MLB or even NBA the fan bases would be heard and the league would do something about it, quickly.

NHL, they will blame it on someone else, thereby creating a circle to confuse people even more.

It starts at the top and rolls downhill.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/01/13 at 10:44 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Chief,

I am so sorry. That is ridiculous.

It is even more ridiculous that the league doesn’t care.  I do love hockey in spite of the NHL’s attempts to ruin it.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/01/13 at 10:56 AM ET

goon's avatar

I had the same problem on my DirecTV last night, and It kind of upset me, but the explanation was something like, it was blacked out because the Wild game was available in my area on another channel.

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 05/01/13 at 11:07 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

In the olde days we had to get up on the roof and rotate the antennae to get a clear(er)Channel 9 outta Windsor for Hockey Nite in Canada. Now, I roam the intrawebs looking for the elusive feed. Gotta love be advanced.

I have been a Pirate feed aficionado for two and a half years.  I have a number of feeds that I cultivate.  However, last night was a particularly tough nut to crack. At one point on two different feeds, one out of Europe, I had 11 links to the frigging Shitcago game.  The one link to the Red Wings was pretty sketchy.  I know there was an FSN-D link out there but could not find it.  That was a first.  Somebody posted a bit torrent link, so today I am learning aboot that.

Great job yur doing Gary. Ass.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 05/01/13 at 12:03 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Great job yur doing Gary. Ass.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, DuhUck hunting….whore style on 05/01/13 at 12:03 PM ET

Posted by CatfishTea on 05/01/13 at 12:09 AM ET

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/01/13 at 12:20 PM ET

HeilThom's avatar

NHL Gamecenter Live + Unblock Us. Pick a server in Portugal. Watch all the games!

Posted by HeilThom from Hockeytown, USA on 05/01/13 at 12:36 PM ET

Primis's avatar

As our friend reminded us in the LB last night, Ignore Member is your friend.  Trolling only works if there’s someone to listen to your mindless, pointless prattle.

Chief, BDos posted something glorious in the LB, something he found on reddit.  He said he will relay it again next game when it needs updated.  Needless to say, Gary is not as clever as he thinks he is.

Posted by Primis on 05/01/13 at 01:15 PM ET

Primis's avatar

FWIW, I remember being lucky enough to use a big dish satellite system to work around games not being available.  Rotate to a 24-channel satellite and find the raw feed of a game minus commercials even.  It was glorious.  As bad as those announcers from WAS and BOS were on the air, you can’t begin to imagine how bad they were during breaks and intermissions…

Posted by Primis on 05/01/13 at 01:17 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/01/13 at 01:17 PM ET

LOL  Those were the days, weren’t they? When you “chipped” them you could get anything. And I mean anything cool smile

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/01/13 at 01:45 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by CJBear71 on 05/01/13 at 01:40 AM ET

word, right there.  we shouldn’t have to work to track down a professional sports league, that is, if it weren’t run by a bunch of morons.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/01/13 at 06:35 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Fuch off. Your act is old.  The point is we shouldn’t have to.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 05/01/13 at 02:05 AM ET

And this too.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/01/13 at 06:36 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 05/01/13 at 11:07 AM ET

Asses.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/01/13 at 06:38 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Just remember the NBC Slogan.  “Every game. Every night.”

That is, unless a game happens to run over 2:20, and then wait for its overtime.  But geez, how could they anticipate that, like, who ever heard of a playoff hockey game going to overtime?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/01/13 at 06:41 PM ET