Abel to Yzerman

Big Bad Boston Wants No Part Of Uncle Mike

It always comes back to Balboa. It always has and it always will.  Apollo Creed, behind his desk, spit shined and full of bluster, was barking orders to his staff. Sending flowers to the mayor, hair salon appointments, minutia.  It was then, and this is important, so focus, that Tony "Duke" Evers glanced behind him to make sure only he could be heard. He leaned in and gave Creed some advice that went unheeded.

Evers, and this is history...you can look it up, told Creed, "we don't need that man in our lives."

Last night, just as Gustav Nyquist was flashing by Ivan Drago en route to the game winner, the murmurs started in Boston. "We do not need that team in our playoff lives."

I was having a good night.

And then Red Wings.

*#$%@& Mike Babcock. *#$%@& the Red Wings. *#$%@& Nyquist. *#$%@& Tatar. *#$%@& Jurco. *#$%@& the ref that waived the Chara goal off. *#$%@& Joe Louis Arena. *#$%@& Detroit. *#$%@& the state of Michigan.

That's a comment on the game thread at Stanley Cup of Chowder.

After watching their team lose, despite dominating for much of the game, and after watching their "all-world" defenseman get turned into a steaming pile of Sasquatch shit by the hottest player in hockey?  They want no part of a tiny little injured team just trying to squeek in.  Interesting. Top-seeded, heralded, favored and foisted.  Yet...

At least we’re one game closer to Columbus in the first round.

Different reader/poster. Same emotion/fear. Glorious.

But wait. It's not just the faithful, the unwashed. Oh no.  As Paul posted earlier, now the experts in Boston are chiming in.

The good news? Detroit goes up three points on Columbbus for the first wild card spot after beating the Bruins, making it less likely the two teams play each other in the opening round.

That's Tony Amonte, of the Bob Lang hair.

To be fair, they've lost three of four to Detroit. I'm not going to do the research, in fact I'm not even going to consider doing the research, but I'd bet nobody has beaten Boston 3/4 this year.  Certainly not the BJs.

I'd hate to be all hubricious today, because that's not what I'm about.  In my time away, being less juvenile and working on my manners, I've been refined. No longer do I feel the need to flaunt the Wings sustained ass kickery. I just don't. It's beneath me.

But they did it without Datsyuk, and they did it without Zetterberg or Alfredsson, without Ericsson, not to mention Weiss. They did it with a Tick Tock science project from Grand Rapids.

Boston wants nothing to do with this team.  Nothing.

And that's probably best for everyone because despite the win last night and the other two wins, and the possibility of a relatively healthy squad in two weeks?  Still, Boston would be favored.

Just like Anaheim was.  If we had to choose, we'd take Rosby. But we don't have to choose. Baby Jesus does.

All we know now is what the diggers and the Canadien typers are gonna tell us for the next few days.  Boston doesn't want us. And neither does anyone else.

23's coming, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I love the smell of hubriciousness in the morning.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/03/14 at 11:04 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Now I need to start drinking

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/03/14 at 11:06 AM ET

Gawd, I am thirsty now . . . .

Posted by bobbo on 04/03/14 at 11:14 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

good lord. I thought I saw Luke Glendening in the meat locker pounding on sides of beef with his bare hands..

Simple advice for the BJs.  Don’t suck. Or blow.  Take advantage of your game(s) in hand or you will be up to your BJs in alligators.

Lock Out 2 Apr 14

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/03/14 at 11:35 AM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I’ll gladly have some booze. Thanks. I needed another reason to do so. Testifying in court today. Yeah.. I want to be loaded for that as well.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 04/03/14 at 11:35 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Ahoy Master Chief Saginaw Arthur Hill.

At 67 games with 15 remaining the Wings needed 19 points to get to 92, which guaranteed nothing.
They have gone 6-2-1 since, agaynst some pretty good teams.

TB and MTL are doing a little dance to see who gets home ice in the first round of the playoffs.

POS 2 Apr 14

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/03/14 at 11:41 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 04/03/14 at 12:35 PM ET

Sounds Awesome !  I understand that judges love to have their courtrooms made a mockery of. smile

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/03/14 at 11:43 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

“minutia”

Refined indeed. wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/03/14 at 11:52 AM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

3 Posts - 3 Wins. The Magic of the Chief.

Posted by joedaiceman on 04/03/14 at 11:58 AM ET

The win last night and the win against the Pens still baffles me how the Wings could possibly lose to the Habs and the Mild (even if it was the second of a B2B) about a week ago.  Just puzzling.  Urgency?

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis on 04/03/14 at 12:16 PM ET

Stevis's avatar

“It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags.”

Just the spirit of the Red Wings.

Posted by Stevis on 04/03/14 at 12:37 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Just puzzling.  Urgency?

Reminds me of a couple of games getting embarrassed by the Isles a few years ago.
I’m all for playing up to the level of your competition but not so much for the vice versa of dumbing it down for the bottom feeders.
The game against BUF could be “interesting”.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/03/14 at 12:52 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Wonderful watching those “kids” last night.

Wonderful being truly excited again.

Wonderful having our Chief back

LGRW!!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/03/14 at 01:02 PM ET

The game against BUF could be “interesting”.

Yup.  There’s no Ryan Miller in net for BUF, but the Wings might draw Halak whom we might see even if they’re on the second of a B2B.  Classic trap game.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis on 04/03/14 at 01:24 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Hubricious?  Getting a sophistricated around here..

Thanks for the post Chief, and Bill for tracking the suck.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/03/14 at 01:54 PM ET

Lol@stevis

I was thinking the same thing.  I wonder if the grinch would cut a Hot and Ready instead of roast beast

Posted by SlimChance on 04/03/14 at 02:04 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Posted by SlimChance on 04/03/14 at 03:04 PM ET

pie or breast… to choose is a bit of a sticky situation

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 04/03/14 at 02:11 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

The reason the eastern conference didn’t want us is because we would decrease the other teams chances of making the playoffs. How great would it be if both us and the BJ’s got in this 1st yr? Lots o knashing of teeth.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/03/14 at 02:23 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Outstanding!  A little hubrication on a lay day from the CMC.

The Quest for 23 continues.

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 04/03/14 at 03:01 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

in other words David took down Goliath last night  wink

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 04/03/14 at 08:53 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Boston, with their dirty fingers in their watery beer, sat puzzling and puzzling, “How could we have lost?”

Detroit won without Lidstrom. They won without Rafs. They won without Zetterberg, Ericsson, or Dats.

And Boston puzzled and puzzled, ‘til their puzzlers were sore. Then the confused Bruins thought of something they hadn’t thought of before.

What if the Red Wings, they thought, don’t win because they score. What if Detroit wins, because Detroit does a bit more.

Dr. Suess, mildly paraphrased.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 04/04/14 at 03:05 AM ET

Bill from GR's avatar

Dr. Suess, mildly paraphrased.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 04/04/14 at 04:05 AM ET

Ingenious.

I like the good Doctor.

Posted by Bill from GR on 04/04/14 at 08:41 AM ET

The ever wonderful Youtube user, awood, has posted a huge 21-minute video of highlights of the win over the Bruins.  Fun, fun game.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis on 04/04/14 at 11:29 AM ET