Abel to Yzerman

Bias. Bias They Say In Sasketchewan. And It’s The Worst Kind…The Wing Kind

I’ve never read Saskatchewan’s Star Phoenix and I don’t know their blogger, the imposing “openicehitter”, but this hit my news reader this morning.  So I thought I’d share.

Another sketchy play by a Detroit Red Wing, as Hank Zetterberg pushed Columbus d-man Nikita Nikitin into the boards, with Nikitin looking like Al McInnis when big Al broke his hips … brutal and dangerous play by Zetterberg, but hey, when you play for the Wings, you can do as you please. Nobody ever gets sat down when they wear the winged wheel …. Target guys heads, break their wrists with a vicious slash, no big deal … This is emerging as Brendan Shanahan’s weakness. Shanahan has proven to be far more competent than old Colin Campbell … a little media pressure will probably get Shanahan straightened out. Question is, anyone in the big media or tv spots have the cojones to say anything ?

Wow.  He sounds a little sad.

“Another sketchy play…”  Yes. Because, traditionally, the Wings are so dirty. So…sketchy.  Nobody ever gets sat down as a Wing…unless you’re Brendan Smith, or unless you’re the two greatest players in the game who happen to be nursing injuries so you opt out of the Bettman circle jerk.  There’s that.  And hey, I’m wondering when Patrick Sharp took wood to Lidstrom’s sack, essentially costing us the ‘09 Cup, where was the suspension then, even if it had extended into the following regular season?  Where was Malkin’s suspension? ‘Member that?

Oh, I know.  Shanny wasn’t around, wasn’t doing the discipline thing. But who was commissioner then, and who’s Shanahan’s boss now?

“Brutal”? Really?  No.  Zetterberg applied pressure but didn’t shove.  Anyone who’s seen that with clear eyes and innocence in their hearts knows Zetterberg’s intent was not violent, or dangerous or “brutal” and neither was the play itself.  Dummy.

Look. That was a tough play. It was. And I don’t think any one of us would have been surprised or particularly offended by a suspension. But Brendan Shanahan is not dumb and he’s not going to let bias shadow a decision like that because it would be too easy to nitpick as this dumbass has.  Do I think that Brendan Shanahan feels he is among the very, very select and fortunate favorites of the giggling, drooling, adorable 8lb 6oz manger miracle Christ child because he wore the historic red and white? Of course.  But his ties to the Wings didn’t have a bearing on this.

He’s not the only one, though.  Nope. Not the only one claiming Shanny’s on the take from the Mayans and the Wings.  Oh no.  Could someone please find me a little bitch from a blog that’s chock full of them?  Thank you.

Shanahan Rules No Suspension Or Fine Regarding Kronwall Hit

Well there it is, this is honestly getting a little ridiculous. It seriously seems like he is showing either some bias, or some horrible judgment. No fine, no nothing, wow.

That’s from Mile High Hockey, of course.  It’s referring to the Kronwall/Kessler hit from about a month ago.  I’m sure Denver’s interests lie strictly with the integrity of the league and not the urine stains every one of them still fret about dating back to the ownership Shanny had over Patrick Roy. And it was just that…flat out ownership.  Suck it Denver.

And Saskatchewan? I’m sorry.  Seriously. I’m sorry the Wings have won four Cups since the last time your country did.  I know it’s hard. It is. But it’s also life and it’s reality.  There can be only one, Saskatchewan. And that one is in Hockeytown, MI.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Hippy Dave's avatar

Target guys heads

The guy doesn’t even know how to properly use an apostrophe.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 01/23/12 at 04:37 AM ET

The “StarPhoenix” is a great name for a spaceship in a role-playing game.

Get a load of this: “Perfect example of how poor the quality of officiating is in the NHL - the goal by Dan Cleary, assisted by Valteri Filppula of the Red Wings … at the side of the Chicago net, Filppula crosschecks a BlackHawk defenseman in the lower back, wiping out the defender, directly in front of a referee. Vicious shot, blatant, should have been a Red Wing penalty …. But no, the idiot ref stands there with his thumb up his butt, Detroit score and tie the game ….. this game also featured another Nik Kronwall blindside hit on a player, with Kronwall going airborne to hit the player ….. Detroit continue to enjoy the advantage of the referees on most nights …”

Beautiful prose. Friggin’ genius.

Posted by Seaner from San Jose on 01/23/12 at 06:54 AM ET

oops, forgot the link: http://openicehitter.com/

Posted by Seaner from San Jose on 01/23/12 at 06:55 AM ET

Stevis's avatar

That URL is missing an s.  And I don’t mean that it should be plural.

Posted by Stevis on 01/23/12 at 08:11 AM ET

yzer19man's avatar

Line of the year Master Chief. So true, so true. Made me wonder if Baby Jesus was really 8lb 6oz. I think that would be about right

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 01/23/12 at 10:52 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Nice, Master Chief, nice. This little ditty is sure to bring out every troll that exists.

That aside, Shanny had a chip in his shoulders when he left Detroit and headed to the “city that never sleeps.”
He had thought that he deserved to be named Captain. He waited and baited, and when he finally announced that he was leaving, he did it in a way that was not very Wing like.

Then, at the beginning of his tenure as the disciplinarian,  he dishes out a 10 gamer to Brenden Smith right off the hop this season. Bias?  Hardly.

He has let many thing go that deserve a harsh suspension.(Lucic on Miller hit.) So, I think he favors no one, and, still has a long way to go in order to clean up the game.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/23/12 at 10:57 AM ET

Bent's avatar

Really?  People, no matter who you cheer for, are looking at that, and saying Z needs to be suspended?  I’m sorry he got hurt, really, but a hand in the back that happens a thousand times a game happens at the same time as he falls and he is suddenly a dangerous player?  Wow.  Every injury needs a matching suspension whether someone caused it or not?

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 01/23/12 at 12:44 PM ET

In Chicago, no kidding, they’re comparing it to Carcillo.

What a joke.

Posted by Widmerpool on 01/23/12 at 12:54 PM ET

In Chicago, no kidding, they’re comparing it to Carcillo.

Well it IS similar to Carcillo’s in that they both occured during a hockey game.

Posted by Garth on 01/23/12 at 01:05 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 01/23/12 at 11:05 AM ET

I was thinking that it was similar because both Z and Carcillo are mammals.  Not human mind you, as that’s still up for debate with Carcillo.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/23/12 at 01:15 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I seem to remember Aaron Portzline making the comment that he “likes it when it snows in Detroit, because it covers up the dead bodies” a few years back (I would provide a link but the article doesn’t seem to be archived on dispatch.com anymore).  Needless to say he isn’t a fan, but even he gave Z a pass:

Obviously, Zetterberg has no reputation for dirty play. Any suggestion that the play was malicious on his part is absurd. He had 16 penalty minutes coming into the game, and picked up 15 on that play alone. Folks in Detroit are saying it’s the first major penalty of his career. Can’t imagine he’s picked up too many game misconducts, either.

...Thats pretty strong language from a guy who isn’t shy about expressing his Red Wing-hate.

I don’t blame any hockey fan who doesn’t like the Red Wings, because we rule that much.  I do get tired of those fans who want to be coy about it, as if their prejudice isn’t transparent.

What I would say to Mr. Open Ice Hitter is this:  Your readers can tell when your writing isn’t straightforward, and they respect you less for it.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/23/12 at 01:41 PM ET

Posted by bezukov from South of Detroit on 01/23/12 at 11:41 AM ET

Winner.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 01/23/12 at 03:28 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I laughed my ass off when I read the word “brutal.”  Really.  Hilarious.

Thanks, Chief.