Abel to Yzerman

Autumn’s Closing In…And The Ship Must Be Cleansed

I honestly don’t know how any of us have survived.  Wojo pointed this out today and it reminds me just how much I hate the playoffs.

Since 2010, Detroit’s past 10 playoff losses have been by one goal.

That’s just disgusting.  As disgusting as a Wog? No, but close.

At least if we were Pens fans, our team would be getting blown out and the third periods wouldn’t be so painful.

There is no doubt that this one’s big on a Billy Baroo scale.  They’re not winning this thing after going down 1-3 and losing two straight on home ice.  The penalties have to stop. The pucks need to find space behind some Rinne ass and I’ve got to absolutely slaughter some slimey, motherfuching wogs.

Ah yes. For the first time in my Navy career, I’ve got a serious conflict between the playoffs and maritime tradition.

We cross over into the Raging Main at first light and the cleansing will begin soon after.  More than a thousand Slimey Wogs infest this ship at the moment so it will be a long, torturous process…a process that will prevent me from even following along via the LB comments.  For the first time in more than twenty years, I’ll find out the score of a playoff game well after its completion.

This isn’t a Game 7 but it’s damn close.  Lose this one and we’ll be living by the sword and that’s not where Bullet Bob, King Neptune or Davey By God Jones wants us to be.

It’s a Live Blog, bitches and I’ll either be ravaging my way through the comments afterward or deleting them all in one big bitter fell swoop. Please baby Jesus. Please let it be the former.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 16 17 18 19 >       Next »

Chris in A^2's avatar

what F/A is going to want to come to Detroit? Think Suter or Weber is going to? Dream on. Even if Nick retires, which won’t surprise me at this point…who will they get to replace him without vastly overpaying them? Think Parise will come when this team is obviously stagnant?
- mrfluffy

They’ll go where the money is; if they also want a chance at a cup they’ll sign a long term deal in Detroit or Chicago, baring significant roster shakeups elsewhere (Vancouver moving Lu? Pronger playing in Siberia?).  Smith and Nyquist are both NHL ready, so I expect we’ll be seeing them in the winged wheel next year, and possibly trades being made to fit them into the roster or free up cap space to go after someone big.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 04/18/12 at 01:54 AM ET

DOES THIS WINGS TEAM GIVE A FUCHING SHIT????????!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Just lay over and take it up the ass, Wings.  Willingly sans lube.

Every thing that went wrong in the regular season because nothing got fixed WENT wrong in the playoffs.  Blashill doesn’t give a shit.  Peters doesn’t give a shit.  The players except for Homer, Lids, and Dangles don’t give a shit.

I’m not even sure what will cure the mediocrity this team has bought into with just making the fuching playoffs every year but some personnel has just got to go.  Horse’s Ass is the first in line.  Fuch that guy.

The Cup’s the goal every year.  Apparently, Horse’s Ass is perfectly content with just making the playoffs just for the chance to play to win the Cup.  And that attitude has permeated the dressing room.

Game Four.  If the Wings give a shit, they win.  Simple.  Start the fuch on time, Wings.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/18/12 at 04:01 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

I don’t really have it in me to rant after this game.  Still not at all impressed by Nashville.  But not at all impressed by the Wings either.  Ken Holland really likes his team though.  I’m happy for him.

Not sure who said it during the LB tonight, but the comment about Rinne being a total seive in the next series totally makes sense to me.  Just like Niemi before him and Nabokov before him, you just kinda know that’s how it’s gonna play out.

Game five is coming though, and there’s still nothing I’ve seen that says the Prednecks can’t be had, so let’s just say Red Wings in seven.  Shock the world!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/18/12 at 05:39 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Gaustead helps the PP the same way he’s hurting the wings PP now - winning faceoffs in the zone and being a big body in front. He’s far more effective than the invisible moose. Gaustead would have filled the role Draper left vacant.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/18/12 at 07:45 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I don’t have a rant:  The Wings are who we thought they were.  They really *aren’t* very good, and they have no adaptability at all.

The “domination” everyone cites isn’t.  The Wings either took weak, lame shots from out top) in many cases weak wristers form just inside the blue line even), or they tried to make too cute of plays down low.  Guys like Zetterberg twice had the puck down low and all he needed to do was drive the net and…. instead he’d sweep wide and then hope someone else can make a play.  Cleary same deal, except even on a possible 2-on-1 he inexplicably pulls up just inside the line and the entire play then falls apart.

Puck possession is pointless is you’re incapable of doing anything useful with it.  It’s also maybe dying as an idea anyways when the stuff refs now regularly allow again.

Also to everyone complaining about which side of Rinne the Wings shot on:  you missed the point.  Side didn’t matter so much, they needed to get it UP on him and over when they get in close, because he goes down so very early and leaves the top wide open, and quite frankly isn’t that good at controlling anything high…

If we’re being honest here, one of two things is going to happen if DET in fact gets bounced:  Holland will do absolutely nothing this offseason, signalling that he is in fact done and we’ll get more of the same for one more year with “loyalty” being cited.  Or the other option…. there will be house-cleaning, the coaching staff likely won’t survive, and the players will be shaken up through normal attrition (Stuart leaving, Homer retiring, etc) and the team will have a lot of new faces in new places on both offense and defense come next October.

Posted by Primis on 04/18/12 at 08:27 AM ET

Primis's avatar

By the way, blaming Jimmy is completely silly.  If you are blaming him, you need to watch the Pens/Flyers series and THEN you’ll see what shoddy goaltending is.  You won’t believe the shots that get behind Fleury.  Is it Jimmy’s fault that 3 Wings chase the same guy?  Is it Jimmy’s fault that Dan Cleary commits the sin of bringing the puck up in front of his own goalie?  If you want to bang on him for a softie… that’s only one GA.  They didn’t lose 1-0.

You can’t take 40-some shots on goal and walk away with only 1 Goal For.  You can’t.  There is not a goalie out there, anywhere, that is going to be able to win under those circumstances.  In baseball you talk about “run support” for pitchers.  Goalies need “scoring support”, especially in the playoffs where you see the same team 4, 5, 6, or even 7 times in a row.

Posted by Primis on 04/18/12 at 09:27 AM ET

Sorry, but that was not a dominant performance by the Wings. Do I think they have been the better team over four games? Yes. But dominant? No way.

Nashville is perfectly happy to let Detroit take low-percentage, bad-angle shots all night. And that’s what happened. They also know our Euro players have a penchant for gaining the slot, then peeling off to the side to try and make a SportsCenter-worthy pass. Rarely ever happens.

Babcock is being severely out-coached in this series.

Posted by Red Winger from work on 04/18/12 at 09:30 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

A bazillion times this.  The Wings are “taking the play to Nashville” because Nashville is letting them do it, and why not.  The Wings run around expending energy, and then take lame shots from the outside.  I’d stop a lot of those.  I literally can’t remember more than once or twice where someone tried to drive the net for a shot.  I can certainly remember more times where the puck is passed from this area, than is shot.

It is still totally possible to beat Nashville in this series.  Without a doubt it is, because quite frankly I still don’t think Nashville is as good as Detroit is making them look.  But, I’ve seen absolutely nothing in the past several seasons to make me believe that there is anywhere near enough heart in that locker room to get the job done.  The guy with the most heart is watching the games on TV.

The expectations are low.  Very low.  I fully expect one more game and then summer vacation.  Not trying to be Super Eeyore, but if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck…

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/18/12 at 09:43 AM ET

ThreeWingCircus's avatar

Agree with you Primis that puck possession doesn’t always equal dominance. We have seen this before - play in the other team’s zone for the whole game, make their goalie look and feel great with lots of easy saves (giving him the confidence to make the harder ones too), and then an epic screw up or two and the bad guys score by accident. They needed to drive the net and get in Rinne’s face more. Too many weak, long, unscreened shots. Too many instances of “one pass too many” leading to a turnover with no SOG at all. Too many missed opportunities. I yelled “less cute, more shoot!” at the TV a lot last night. I don’t believe for a second that they don’t care, but some of the guys (mule, pasha) sure don’t look 100%. There are people playing with injuries for sure. And man, do we miss Helm.

But Nashville did get lucky a lot too. I found myself saying “how in the blue FUCH did that not go in!?” many times. Kept waiting for Rinne to turn around and wipe a puck mark off the glass between the pipes, like that old commercial. Wings had some truly excellent chances created by hard work and winning battles. Just no finish. It’s part luck, part goaltending, but perhaps most of all, I think it’s a lack of swagger. Hopefully they will go balls out on Friday and bring it back to the Joe. And if so, I think it goes to 7. I choose to be optimistic in spite of the evidence that says I shouldn’t. LGRW!!!

Posted by ThreeWingCircus from European tour on 04/18/12 at 10:15 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Let’s make sure we don’t wring our hands so hard that they fall off.

And then let’s have some fuchin’ FUN on the LB Friday night.

Comments are running 95% negative, and I have contributed to that at times. But Cheesus K. Reist, when a family member is on life support, barely breathing, it’s probably not a good time to make your point aboot cigarette smoking.

Be supportive. You don’t have to drink the Kool-Aid. But some perspective might be nice.

NEVER let it be said that the 19 are only juvelicios when things are rolling their way.

Posted by dougie on 04/18/12 at 10:36 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Let’s make sure we don’t wring our hands so hard that they fall off.
And then let’s have some fuchin’ FUN on the LB Friday night.
Posted by dougie on 04/18/12 at 09:36 AM ET

LGRW?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/18/12 at 10:45 AM ET

Cwix's avatar

I totally agree, Primis. That’s exactly what Emmerton did on his goal. The vast majority of the Wings SOGs have been down low. You’d think they’d try something different if what they’re doing isn’t working. Seems like the coaching staff should be taking note of that too. Had they made such an adjustment during their strong first period they’d likely been up by multiple goals.

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Chicago, IL on 04/18/12 at 11:30 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

LGRW?

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 04/18/12 at 09:45 AM ET

Are you Ron Burgundy?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/18/12 at 11:58 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Why are you asking?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/18/12 at 12:02 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Seriously, how does a team with this much skill suck so badly right now?
Posted by 11B3PF7 in MN on 04/17/12 at 10:50 PM ET

That may be a misperception.  Not that they suck, that they have a lot of skill.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/12 at 12:09 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

For all the “we shoulda got Gaustad” jumpers.

Cause he woulda Fixed the PP?  -  his Face Off record on the PP is 0 wins 0 losses, with 4 accidental seconds in 4 games on the PP.

His PK face off record?  17 - 16. Wow that is stunning.

17 Playoff players have a face off record better than his 54% on 74 face offs, including Datsyuk’s 59% on 100.

He does have a phenominal 50% shooting pct on 1 no-look goal out of 2 shots on goal in 4 games.  This is his only goal in 8 weeks with the Predators.

Would the scoring woes be solved by this offensive wizard?

There are more significant issues to address beyond what minmal impact Gaustad would have had on this team.  I’d rather have a healthy Eaves OR Helm than Gaustad.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/12 at 12:34 PM ET

Cwix's avatar

Which is what we were anticipating getting with Helm’s return.

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Chicago, IL on 04/18/12 at 01:21 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

You will be a lonely man. The game is Friday.
Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/17/12 at 11:00 PM ET

Oh well better yet then.  I suppose it wouldn’t have taken me long to figure that out Thursday when no GDT post appeared.  smile

Thanks

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/18/12 at 01:50 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

You will be a lonely man. The game is Friday.
Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/17/12 at 11:00 PM ET

Military Special whisky can get you through the loneliness, or when your spouse is at a “meeting” with stonehands, and in the back of your mind you know what is really going on.

.... Pfffffft holy crap if this is what off-season discussion degenerates into I’m not ready yet.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/12 at 02:59 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Not much I can say except i’m not surprised, but still disappointed.

I think it was the last game of the season vs Nashville I said they reduce the game to a bunch of random stuff, with a 6-5 concrete wall at the other end.  We even played better than that for most of the game last night but it was the same strategy and result for Nashville, counterpunching and brutally punishing the Wings on a couple of glaring, even incomprehensible mistakes.

I and most everyone on the LB remarked about the growing pit in the stomach as the game was setting up perfectly for Nashville, minute by minute as the game finished 2 periods with no score.

Did not make the result any more palatable even thugh we could see it coming.

RSV.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/12 at 03:12 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

COYOTES’ TORRES SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY FOR HIT ON HOSSA
The Canadian Press
4/18/2012 2:52:53 PM

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/12 at 04:42 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/18/12 at 01:59 PM ET

Stonehands?  For realz?  I was wondering why she kept repeating things this morning.  I was trying to get my belt done and she said"Keep at it….never, never , never give up”  I didn’t catch it at the time….

...ppffft.  He can have her.  smile  After all you know how the saying goes…no matter how hot the chick, there’s some guy who’s had it up to HERE <insert hand gesture at my eyebrows> with her shit.”

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/18/12 at 05:52 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

And for the record…Homer and Cleary are a couple freaks.  I just got my first Synnvisc injection today.  Even with the anesthetic within the injection my knee is throbbing like crazy.  We’ll see what tomorrow holds, but as much pain as I’m having just walking, I can’t imagine skating on it….and playing hockey?  Riiiiiiiight.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/18/12 at 05:55 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well Yeah i started questioning Cleary’s lack of production before the regular season ended.  I didn’t know his condition was as bad as it is.  Nonetheless, the lack of production continues although I know he is giving it his all and probably more than anyone could have expected.

I never had anything more than water taken off the knee which was in grade school.

I have had a couple of nasty bouts with kidney stones which is a pain and fatigue I can’t even describe.

Good luck with the knee.

I know where the origin of stonehands’  “never never give up” comes from now.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/12 at 07:32 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Is there any roster move to try and infuse offense into the team?  I don’t think so at the forward positions.  Do you bring B. Smith in for anyone just for the sake of any marginal offense possibility?  It may increase the likelihood of a defensive mistake but what could be worse than what we’ve seen in this series?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/12 at 07:34 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Babs will probably get all sentimental and go with the season long starters.  As much as I would love to see him bench damn Franzen…..

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/18/12 at 09:04 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

What an elite sieve Fleury is…

Posted by pgoody on 04/18/12 at 09:12 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

What an elite sieve Fleury is…

Posted by pgoody on 04/18/12 at 08:12 PM ET

The wheels are falling off this Penguins team. Breezy sucks pretty bad too. 6 goals scored so far in this game. Unfuchinreal.

Tied up at 3 aside now. 2 elite goaltenders=Epic fail.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/18/12 at 09:18 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Another one Breezys by. 50 million dollars worth of goaltending.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/18/12 at 09:22 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Marc Andre Flurry-of-Goals.

#sullyosis is up on twitter tonight.

I don’t know baroque5 ‘s twitter handle

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/12 at 09:41 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Breezy is gone with the wind.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/18/12 at 09:50 PM ET

IIRC, Miss B.‘s twitter handle is Baroque97

Posted by Not Me from Try and prove it on 04/18/12 at 10:23 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Haha ok ty

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/12 at 10:36 PM ET

All-Star Game scoring and defensive coverage in PHI-PIT tilt.
10-3 score five minutes into the third. I fully expect PHI to tie it.

Posted by Alex on 04/18/12 at 10:53 PM ET

Haha ok ty
Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/18/12 at 09:36 PM ET

She’s part of the twitter mob (see below) that mostly abandoned A2Y leaving it to us 20th century luddites that still like the web and email and eschew fb and twitter.

@onthewings @jennyquarx @mpetrella @Amerinadian19 @SuicidePass @Mariia19 @GuiCalciolari @JJfromKansas @TheTripleDeke @Lolabythebay

Posted by Not Me from Try and prove it on 04/18/12 at 10:55 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Wow DC just said the only way to punish a player is not let them play, uh no Pierre, you can fine them 2500$, duh…

Posted by pgoody on 04/18/12 at 11:04 PM ET

Law enforcement units are better be put on the high alert tonight in Vancouver.

Posted by Alex on 04/18/12 at 11:51 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

Yes, my twitter handle is Baroque97 smile

I still read the posts and try to keep up on the comments, but I don’t have much time to make comments of my own during the games. And commenting after the game is just silly (so I’m in the same position as JJ’s sister Anne a lot of the time).

If it’s any consolation I barely comment at Winging it in Motown either - although I also read their posts. I’ll comment on some of the non-game threads, but it is too hard to focus on the game if I am watching it and also keep up with the thread, and if I am not able to watch the game it is easiest to keep up with the scores via twitter on my phone.

Not like I have forgotten you guys - I’ve just been transmuted into a lurker. raspberry

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 04/19/12 at 04:04 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Baroque, we are missing a well-considered “voice of reason” type since you went silent. I believe you to be a socially responsible type, perhaps you might consider an occasional post? Sort of a ” pro bono”, for the benefit and advancement of reprobates everywhere.

We are not all Luddites. Even though I don’ FB or tweet, I love my smartphone. Any device that let’s me post here while sitting on the toilet in the AM is alright by me. I suppose I should learn how to post pictures oneday.

Posted by dougie on 04/19/12 at 09:36 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

In a series that is finding Detroit unable to mount any real offense.  I find the fact that Datsyuk and Zetterberg haven’t been reunited for at least a period, negligible.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/19/12 at 10:00 AM ET