Abel to Yzerman

Autumn’s Closing In…And The Ship Must Be Cleansed

I honestly don’t know how any of us have survived.  Wojo pointed this out today and it reminds me just how much I hate the playoffs.

Since 2010, Detroit’s past 10 playoff losses have been by one goal.

That’s just disgusting.  As disgusting as a Wog? No, but close.

At least if we were Pens fans, our team would be getting blown out and the third periods wouldn’t be so painful.

There is no doubt that this one’s big on a Billy Baroo scale.  They’re not winning this thing after going down 1-3 and losing two straight on home ice.  The penalties have to stop. The pucks need to find space behind some Rinne ass and I’ve got to absolutely slaughter some slimey, motherfuching wogs.

Ah yes. For the first time in my Navy career, I’ve got a serious conflict between the playoffs and maritime tradition.

We cross over into the Raging Main at first light and the cleansing will begin soon after.  More than a thousand Slimey Wogs infest this ship at the moment so it will be a long, torturous process…a process that will prevent me from even following along via the LB comments.  For the first time in more than twenty years, I’ll find out the score of a playoff game well after its completion.

This isn’t a Game 7 but it’s damn close.  Lose this one and we’ll be living by the sword and that’s not where Bullet Bob, King Neptune or Davey By God Jones wants us to be.

It’s a Live Blog, bitches and I’ll either be ravaging my way through the comments afterward or deleting them all in one big bitter fell swoop. Please baby Jesus. Please let it be the former.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 15 16 17 18 19 >       Next »

redxblack's avatar

If this power play hasn’t sucked since October than maybe they could close tonight. Instead, with TONS of opportunities, they simply couldn’t seal their chances.

One goal tonight was totally on Howard. That’s not nearly enough to blame him. He’s been sharp.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/18/12 at 12:35 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

At least it looks as if the Pens and Nucks are just about done as well.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 04/17/12 at 10:35 PM ET

Cold comfort.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/18/12 at 12:36 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

I wonder if there’s another team dumb enough to take Franzen off our hands.

Looking forward to seeing Stuart go. Let Hudler walk. Lids and Homer will more than likely retire.

I’m very interested to see what Holland actually does this off season. Maybe he still likes this team enough to sit on his thumb all summer.

Horrible finish to this one. Freakin Preds in 5. At least it looks as if the Pens and Nucks are just about done as well.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 04/17/12 at 10:35 PM ET

Save 15 mil for the deadline?  Tee fuggin hee.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/18/12 at 12:36 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I wonder if Bowman is up for a couple more seasons of coaching, a last hurrah.

at this point I’d take Barry Melrose.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/18/12 at 12:37 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Seriously, who on earth would be doing a better job that is available?

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/17/12 at 10:35 PM ET

You are right. There is nobody out there.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/18/12 at 12:38 AM ET

1 more game for Nicklas Lidström…this was his last home game ever period…sad sad sad

Posted by Gary Bettman SUCK from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/17/12 at 10:28 PM ET

I refuse to think that his last game at home was marked by him chasing the Bubba into the corner with two other RWings and Jimmy. But I’ve got nothing else.

Posted by Alex on 04/18/12 at 12:38 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Mike Keenan. Ron Wilson.(sarcasm)

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/18/12 at 12:39 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

G’night bitches.  I too am thinking that Nashville will get smoked next round.  No chance they don’t get past Detroit though.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/18/12 at 12:39 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

I’m not sure how this game particularly gets blamed on Babs. The Wings controlled 90% of this one and had a couple dozen chances. They were flying. Rinne was out of this world tonite. Bitch about Babs if you want for other games, but this one does not fall on him.

Hell, most of this series has been all either Wings or stripes. I’ll grant you Sunday’s typical slow afternoon start, but the rest of this series? No way.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/18/12 at 12:40 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Ok Tick Tock. You still think this team is set? Many changes to be made this summer. No golfing for you Kenny until you fix this.
Give monkey back his football. Bag skate this team with full equipment in hart plaza. With no ice. BAH

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/18/12 at 12:40 AM ET

I think we’ve got them right where we want them. 1-3 behind in games. Now RW have their backs to the wall are primed to mount a historic comeback ala last year.
Good night, all.

Posted by Alex on 04/18/12 at 12:40 AM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by pgoody on 04/18/12 at 12:42 AM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Posted by Alex on 04/17/12 at 10:38 PM ET

I hope you right. ??? .It would be nice to have him play 1 more year !!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/18/12 at 12:43 AM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by pgoody on 04/18/12 at 12:43 AM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

God natt !!!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/18/12 at 12:44 AM ET

We’re average now.  No more.  It’s a heart and soul thing, and it comes from guys like Helm and Eaves, Abdelkader and Miller.

The Swedes are great players, but there’s no fire in the gut AT ALL.  Maybe fuching Don Cherry is right after all, God help us.  There’s no moral authority in that room right now.

Posted by Chris from DC on 04/18/12 at 12:44 AM ET

And that’s the season, folks. Sadly, my 4-1 Preds series win prediction from a week ago, that was scoffed at by many, doesn’t look all that crazy anymore.

The Wings will Game 5 in Nashville by a blowout but will lose the next one at home in a similar fashion to today’s game.

Posted by Alex on 04/18/12 at 12:44 AM ET

thethirdcoast's avatar

Dump Franzen or stuff him in the AHL on general principle.

He has gotten way too fat and happy on that obscene contract, and he is clearly no longer worthy of the privilege of donning the Winged Wheel.

Posted by thethirdcoast from Algiers, DZ on 04/18/12 at 12:44 AM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Holy shite did Hossa get smoked by a leaping Torres.

Cya, Raffi.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 04/18/12 at 12:47 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Tick Tock pooched the trade deadline. We could have gotten Gaustead. Instead, he made the brave decision to get a 5/6 defenseman and double down on a team that can’t score on the PP to save their lives.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/18/12 at 12:48 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I really doubt that Babs gets the boot though, because the question remains, who do you replace him with?

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/17/12 at 10:35 PM ET

I think you do what a lot of teams have done the last five years: look down to the AHL. What’s the scouting report on Curt Fraser? I’m not sure, but I’ll have lots of time to research him starting this weekend.

As for the loss, can’t blame Jimmy. He hasn’t been himself since his long layoff, but he’s been good. I was worried he had too much time off with that injury. Sure enough, he lost his edge. But in no way did he cost us this series.

Seriously, folks, playback in your mind Nashville’s second goal: three Wings chasing the puck carrier…THREE. You see that occasionally in pee wee, and those kids get a good ass chewing for it. These are millionaire professionals we are talking about, making that play. Now think of all the slow, unprepared, unmotivated starts not just in this series, but in the entire season…

How on earth could this team provide us with more evidence they have checked out???

There’s nothing wrong with change.  Babs has had a great run, and has lasted longer than 99% of his colleagues. The average coaching stint in the NHL is just shy of three years. Babs has more than doubled that.

Time to move on, in every way possible. And the only thing that sucks about saying that is that we most likely watched Lidstrom skate for the final time at the Joe. What a shitty way to go, on such an uninspired and unmotivated team.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/18/12 at 12:49 AM ET

Three years in a row now.  This is disgusting.  I am always optimistic, but i feel like our window just slammed shut in front of our faces tonight.  It’s too early to talk offseason moves…

Seriously, how does a team with this much skill suck so badly right now?

Posted by 11B3PF7 in MN on 04/18/12 at 12:50 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Cya, Raffi.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 04/17/12 at 10:47 PM ET

Why…is he off to the bank to make a $2500 withdrawl?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/18/12 at 12:53 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Well bitches….I really don’t know what to say anymore.

We bitch.

We complain.

We whine.

We polish our tinfoil hats.

And we keep coming back….it’s in our blood I suppose.

I guess I’ll see you guys here Thursday night for I pray not our last LB of the year.

But I’m not holding my breath.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/18/12 at 12:55 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Seriously, how does a team with this much skill suck so badly right now?

Posted by 11B3PF7 in MN on 04/17/12 at 10:50 PM ET

Tuned the coach out.

Just one example of many…Babs tells the media yesterday the team needs to take more shots when they get in the slot, too many shots from the periphery. If he told the media, you can be sure he told his team the same thing.

And what did we get tonight? Peripheral shots and missed opportunities to shoot when the slot was gained.

Part of Mule’s problem is his laziness. You can see he has gained weight. Where is someone to land a boot in his Taco Bell-lovin’ ass, and tell him to start earning his money? Mule felt no urgency to work harder than he wanted to this year. Why is that? Because the coach has lost his moral authority and effectiveness.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/18/12 at 12:57 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 04/17/12 at 10:55 PM ET

You will be a lonely man. The game is Friday. smile

I probably won’t be here. I think I’ll go get blitzed, and remember the days of yesteryear. I may not know who wins Friday until Sunday.

So if tonight was the last LB with the 19 for me, a hearty adios to one and all, and look forward to occasional off-season banter.

As usual, you guys are the best.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/18/12 at 01:00 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

In other news, the Tigers won.

Night bitches.

I’m going to go box up my shrine and call it a night.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/18/12 at 01:02 AM ET

ThirtyNineDegrees's avatar

Long time lurker among the 19, occasional poster.

A thought pained me a few minutes before he was pulled, and I was shocked that it bounced into my consciousness:

“James Tiberius Howard’s head isn’t in this right now.”

Maybe it was his body language, my infallible sixth sense, or too much wine (but I repeat myself).  No blame for the L - its a team loss.  And I won’t read too much into JTH heading to the locker room after being pulled (seemed odd, but could be equipment-related as much as hopelessness or frustration).

But that goal?  Oh, that goal.  Oh my, that goal.  Did I mention the goal?

Closing off the post on a shot from that angle is goaltending 101, and we all know it.  Jimmah knows it.  My ex-girlfriend who thinks hockey is a more colorful team version of curling knows it.  What on earth was he daydreaming about?

And when you can’t count on your fuching defense, you DON’T count on your fuching defense.  You step the fuch up, and you stop the fuching puck.  You sleep in the locker room a la CMOI, knotted up in a fetal position because you hate to lose.  You get in your teammates face because you want them to hate to lose.

And you win the next game.

Posted by ThirtyNineDegrees on 04/18/12 at 01:02 AM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

I wanted Uncle Mike’s head on a platter after the last 3 playoff exits, where special teams where consistently a disaster (that never got fixed) and the team kept making the same stupid turnovers and blowing the same defensive coverages time and time again.

This is different. Getting swept at home was 90% Rinne.  This looked like a puck possesion Red Wings team that got beat by another hot goalie, not the disorganized vat of mediocrity that got bounced by the fuching sharks two years in a row. There’s still hope.  The predators needed shitty officiating, lucky bounces and Rinne to stand on his head to win 3 games by 4 goals.  There’s no margine for error, but I have a hard time believing that the wings won’t push this to 7 games if they keep dominating play.  And if they don’t, you tip your cap to the big Pekker they’ve got between their pipes, because he’s the biggest reason they’re winning this series

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 04/18/12 at 01:05 AM ET

But that goal?  Oh, that goal.  Oh my, that goal.  Did I mention the goal?

Posted by ThirtyNineDegrees on 04/17/12 at 11:02 PM ET

THAT goal was mercifully waved off by zebras on the intent-to-blow call. So no damage was done by that goal. But what happened on the next three goals was total defensive breakdown and not Jimmah’s fault in the slightest.

Posted by Alex on 04/18/12 at 01:09 AM ET

Three goals scored in one minute of play in CHI-PHO game. It is much more entertaining than Nashville molasses series.

Posted by Alex on 04/18/12 at 01:18 AM ET

ThirtyNineDegrees's avatar

To clarify, my reference was to Legwand’s goal.

It isn’t hard if you’re playing the angle properly.  That’s an easy save for me.

Pump up my tires, I say. Pump up my tires!  wink

Seriously, though, we can agree to disagree on fault with the Legwand goal, but can probably agree that everyone needs to get their head out of their collective posteriors to get back in this series.

Posted by ThirtyNineDegrees on 04/18/12 at 01:20 AM ET

To clarify, my reference was to Legwand’s goal.

Posted by ThirtyNineDegrees on 04/17/12 at 11:20 PM ET

Now I see. For all practical purposes the game was already lost by then.

Posted by Alex on 04/18/12 at 01:24 AM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

The Legwand goal was an unassisted goal off of a Dan Cleary turnover right by the net, not really Jimmy’s fault.  He was probably looking to go to the bench as soon as the puck got out of the zone.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 04/18/12 at 01:30 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Err…i understand you may not agree with the decisions made/not made. But how does Gaustad fix the PP? He has 32 points on the PP over 8 seasons. The guy shoots less than Filppula.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/18/12 at 01:37 AM ET

ThreeWingCircus's avatar

50 minutes of complete domination. The wings looked like they were on the PP (and not the whiskey, but a real PP) for much of this game. Even in the third, they were buzzing. Even after the Prednecks got one, the wings answered. But that damn second goal just killed the whole building. Watching it was like falling into ice-cold water. Just a total nut shrinker. Burgaflickle.

Posted by ThreeWingCircus from European tour on 04/18/12 at 01:46 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

So I uh…heh…might have to turn in the man card and the Wing fandom card at the same time…

I went with the wife to water aerobics and busted my arse for an hour with the gray hair brigade (sorry for probably half the 19). Felt great honestly. Came back…saw the DVR had already shut off and I was thinking “Great, no OT.” Heh…watched the recap and promptly deleted the DVR.

What makes this all the worse…if nothing changes behind the bench…or if Babcock doesn’t at least come out publicly and state he’s going to completely come at next season 110%...what F/A is going to want to come to Detroit? Think Suter or Weber is going to? Dream on. Even if Nick retires, which won’t surprise me at this point…who will they get to replace him without vastly overpaying them? Think Parise will come when this team is obviously stagnant?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/18/12 at 01:50 AM ET

ThirtyNineDegrees's avatar

Indeed!  Puck > bench, Jimmy.  Like I said to Alex, agree to disagree, but I say that one’s on Jimbo.  Bad play by Cleary, though.

What worries me most about the Wings’ chances the rest of the series is that the Wings always seem to fall into the same rut the game after suffering frustrating losses—they try to force the play at an individual level rather than stick with the system.  But who knows, maybe Babcock’s system is the problem.

The statistician in me still has hope.  Good thing I’m not a Bayesian.  wink

Posted by ThirtyNineDegrees on 04/18/12 at 01:51 AM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

I think the thing that holds the most weight right now is that we may have just seen Lidstrom’s last home game.

The weight of that statement is f*cking gigantic.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 04/18/12 at 02:06 AM ET

Bent's avatar

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 04/17/12 at 11:05 PM ET

This is what I saw too Chris.  I keep having flashbacks to 2006.  The parallels are numerous.  We even have a star player with the same question marks as that year.

I just don’t have the negativity that many here do.  I see a team that, with the exception of game 3, is comepletely different than the last month of the regular season.  I have never seen this bad of puck luck for them.  The predators didn’t have any chances that made me worry all that much, until the few mistakes the wings made would bite them in the ass.

Major frustration, for fans and team alike, I’m sure.  I’m also pissed that that dickbag Weber not only escaped punishment, but is one game away from being rewarded for his dickbaggery.  I need to go to sleep, although I know I won’t feel any better about it in the morning.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 04/18/12 at 02:10 AM ET