Abel to Yzerman

Andreas Athanasiou Not Filing For Salary Arbitration

added 4:44pm,

added 4:49pm,

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

Wonder if both sides think they’ll have a deal? Maybe they are close.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/05/18 at 03:39 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Besides writing about the AA deal, Ansar Khan of Mlive with this…

The Red Wings are negotiating contracts with restricted free agents Dylan Larkin and Anthony Mantha, neither of whom was arbitration eligible. Mantha is expected to sign a two-year bridge deal. Larkin might sign a long-term extension, likely no more than five years, after which he would still be a restricted free agent.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/05/18 at 04:02 PM ET

Good.  Looking forward to seeing what AA can do under a new coach 15 months from now.

Posted by Ventr on 07/05/18 at 04:17 PM ET

This is why they bury contracts right before the season starts and then call them up after it starts.  I thought last year they couldn’t sign AA even if they agreed at the season start.  Can they use IR to start just not LTIR?  seems like KH has been betting on someone being hurt to start the season the last couple years.

Either way, this signing, while I’m not against it, doesn’t leave a lot of wiggle room for the other 2 RFA’s and a 7th dman.  If larking is looking at 5 yrs, I would assume a decent $$$ comes with it.

Posted by murph1jj on 07/05/18 at 04:20 PM ET

Should have said Larkin.  autocorrect eh.  This cap stuff gives me a headache, and I have yet to find a good resource for how LTIR works for timing, max amount etc.

Posted by murph1jj on 07/05/18 at 04:25 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Two years is plenty of time for AA to show he’s worth more $$. While I like AA, I’m not yet convinced he’s an integral cog to the rebuild of the Wings. Guess it’s time to put up or end up a deadline deal (trade, draft or pre-season).

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 07/05/18 at 05:41 PM ET

DrD's avatar

Good, fair contract…let’s see if he’s matured and if he can become a more reliable defensive player. With his skills, he can be a Selke winner if he gets his head on right.

Posted by DrD on 07/05/18 at 05:52 PM ET

I never expected AA to be signed before Mantha and Larkin and never expected him to get $3 mil from KH. How much Mantha is getting then?

Posted by VPalmer on 07/05/18 at 08:03 PM ET

DrD's avatar

I would say that both Mantha and AA are pretty one-dimensional right now, although Mantha has shown more upside in goal production so far…I would say his contract should be in the same ballpark, but probably higher…and Larkin is the most complete player of the 3, so he will be at least 4 on a bridge contract…although they might go for longer term and something closer to 5 (Abdelkader money! Haha).

Pure guesswork, but that’s my 2 cents.

Posted by DrD on 07/05/18 at 08:19 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Cap friendly does not have an NTC or NMC noted

Posted by ilovehomers on 07/05/18 at 09:27 PM ET

That AA contract would be very movable should the Wings decide to do it before the season starts.

Posted by evileye on 07/06/18 at 08:42 AM ET

Can anyone tell me, I thought teams could go 10% over in the summer but get no LTIR relief, then have to be cap compliant for the opening day of the season(for like 5 minutes or something stupid), and then LTIR can kick in..

That’s it in a nutshell.

The should have about $10M left. Sounds like a tight squeeze.

Posted by evileye on 07/06/18 at 08:48 AM ET

Actually, as far as I know, players can start season on LTIR. But that changes the cap calculation.

If DET starts the season with Franzen on IR and shift him to LTIR at T+1min, their maximum cap is league maximum and they get full relief for Franzen salary.
If DET starts the season with Franzen on LTIR, maximum cap is equal to their cap number at the start - Franzen.

Some numbers:
2018-2019 cap is 79.5M. If Franzen is on IR and DET cap number with Franzen is 79.3M (0.2M space), then cap at T+1 min (or T+1 day, I don’t know minimum unit of time for this) is 75.4M, 4.1M space.
If Franzen is on LTIR because total DET number is 81M, and without Franzen is 77.9M, then DET cap for the season is 77.9M, and they have 0 space once the season starts. Max cap is 77.9M until all players cam off LTIR (so, if Kronvall goes on, and Franzen day later comes off, max cap is 77.9M until Kronvall too comes off).

Posted by Davor on 07/06/18 at 12:25 PM ET

Just to add:
that is why clearing Franzen messed up DET salary cap situation. Plan was: Franzen to LTIR, cap is close to maximum, Kronwall goes to LTIR as soon as possible, and his salary while on LTIR is not counted against the cap so those $1M or so saved against the cap would be enough for rookie call-ups
When Franzen was cleared, Kronwall had to go to LTIR, and when Franzen finally went to LTIR, savings were not enough for Kronwall’s return and other cap moves had to be made.

Posted by Davor on 07/06/18 at 01:03 PM ET