Abel to Yzerman

A2Y’s Trade Deadline Day Mandate

Good morning Kenny.  We’re not in the business of making demands here at A2Y. Yes we have expectations, but none of us would “demand” you do anything other than commit your very soul to keeping our team competitive, every year, for the Cup that belongs to us.

Now, that doesn’t mean we don’t have wishes. And when I say “we”, I mean “I”. Clarifying that for you because a few of the 19 are going to disagree.

My wishes are not unrealistic and I’m going to offer you avenues to make them come true.

First Kenny, a few areas of concern that have led to my three glorious wishes.  Scoring is an issue unless Pavel Datsyuk’s on the ice.  Of our “snipers”, none have performed as we expected: Filppula, Cleary, Franzen, Zetterberg have been individually subpar.  Collectively, they’ve sucked.  And that’s at even strength.  On the power play, I get pee-shivers just typing those two words together. We’ve never seen it so bad. Ever, Kenny.

You must get us a scorer. Not a fourth-line depth guy. Not a professional penalty killer. A scorer with a dagger.  And, while these are only wishes—not demands, it’s going to be very, very hard to understand if Chicago or San Jose land one and we don’t.  That will be a tough pill to swallow Tick Tock. That’s not a threat. Just a statement of fact.  If either of those two teams dramatically improve while we “get Dats back in two weeks..that’s our deadline move”.  That’s just gross.

Kenny, you have a potential, good news/bad news two-year window with Nick Lidstrom.  I’m betting the only way he leaves this June is with his fifth Cup in tow.  I can take that. I can handle a departure under those terms. What I can’t abide, Kenny, is the greatest defenseman in the history of hockey leaving after a playoff loss, after the organ-I-zation didn’t do everything possible to arm him for his final run.  What I don’t want to see, Tick Tock, is a similar scene to the one that’s been seared into our memories, one that featured another Captain and a tunnel in Edmonton.

So you go get him Kenny. Get us a game breaker for now and ever more.  Get us Rick Nash and plan to pay him 8 million/year for however long the math toads tell you can work. That’s wish number 1 with a bullet.  Offer Scott Howson any two players in our system. Any two. Brendan Smith (because we’re getting Suter this summer) and anyone else. And a pick. First round, second round. I don’t care.  Give it up.  And Kenny, if it means a roster player?  It’s easier for me to tell you who I wouldn’t include.  Ready? It won’t take long.

Here’s who I don’t put in a deal for Nash, a big, strong, sniper with great hands and a well of anger as yet untapped by the pansies down in Columbus:

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Howard
Helm

The 1st and 3rd are obvious.  The 2nd is the heart of the team, and I still believe that.  The 4th because he’s a Red Wing by god. That kid is a Wing and I couldn’t bear to see him go.  Not even mentioning the brutal effect on at least one of the 19 from Brazil.

Anyone else?  Do it.  I say that keeping in mind the fact that Columbus wouldn’t take on Franzen’s salary anyway, and Lidstrom’s just a non-issue.  Homer’s too old and wouldn’t be asked for or included.  Anyone else? Deal-able.

Wish number 2.  Steve Ott. Oh my god I know we hate him. I know it.  I also know we hated Dallas Drake and Chris Chelios.  I don’t care. I’m not going to get emotional on you now because I want our Cup back.  If it means bringing in a scum bag to do it, I’m game. I have no scruples. None. I want the Cup and I want it this June. If Steve Ott can contribute to that, and I believe he can with grit and hate and some will to win, put him in red and white. And do it today.  I’d give up far less: a pick and a minor league player not named Smith.

Wish number 3, maybe tied with 2 or definitely in addition to 2: Teemu Selanne.  We need help on the power play and I really don’t think it’s coming from within.  It’s essential. If that power play doesn’t get much better we might be a first-round loser. I really believe that.  Another player we’ve hated, I know. And I don’t care. I just don’t.

I don’t want to hear a damn thing about the future. You’ll get Suter this summer and probably Parise. So if you get Nash, give up Filppula and gain another sniper over the summer the puppies keep bouncing and licking places they shouldn’t. It’s pure joy. Yes, giving up a player like Wally is hard to imagine because we dig the kid.

Well, I dig Cups more.  A lot more.

So those are my wishes Tick Tock. Nothing more. Not demands. I’ll still be a fan tomorrow if you don’t make them happen.  But the thing is, I’ll be a happier fan with 61 in red and white than I would be with 61 in teal. And if it’s not a GM’s job to make me and the 19 happy? Then I don’t understand what is.

Make it happen, Tick Tock. I want that parade and I want it the second Tuesday in June. This June, Kenny.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3

Primis's avatar

So…. no big moves maybe means DET thinks Lidstrom is staying at least 1 more year, right?

And yes, Gaustad to NAS makes me sick, I don’t care what they paid for him unless it’s Suter, Weber, or Rinne.  Because all their other parts are interchangable.

Posted by Primis on 02/27/12 at 06:08 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

What a bunch of garbage Kenny.  This team’s core of forwards are consistently outsized and outworked.  More of the same wasn’t what I wanted to see.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/27/12 at 06:09 PM ET

Wait, Gaustad+4th rounder for just a 1st rounder?

We couldn’t do better than this??

Posted by Herm from the office on 02/27/12 at 06:19 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Well that sucks.  No real big guns moved though.  Getting to be a “who gives a shit” kind of day for the NHL.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 02/27/12 at 06:26 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by Herm from the office on 02/27/12 at 03:19 PM ET

Herm I think it was a 1st and a 4th for Gaustad.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/27/12 at 06:27 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

George tweeting that Kenny will be on 97.1 the ticket shortly. Bombard him with questions.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/27/12 at 06:28 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 02/27/12 at 03:26 PM ET

It was more exciting when it was in March, closer to the end of the season. By then, more teams were eliminated from realistic playoff contention, so there were more sellers.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/27/12 at 06:29 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Paging Tick Tock, you’ve just been fired. How the the flying fuch can you sit with your thumb in your ass and do absolutely NOTHING but Gain a Defenseman, trade a Defenseman, a Prospect and a First rounder?

“Wings primed for a great pickup at the deadline with tons of cap space.”

Right.

Who’s got that vomit bucket.. I think I need it next.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/27/12 at 06:32 PM ET

The Sabres have acquired a first-round pick from Nashville in exchange for Paul Gaustad and a fourth-round pick, according @TSNBobMcKenzie

Posted by Herm from the office on 02/27/12 at 06:34 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by Herm from the office on 02/27/12 at 03:34 PM ET

georgemalik FTR: @TSNBobMcKenzie reporting that the Sabres got a 1st rounder and 4th rounder for Gaustad. 20 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

NHLGossip @Real_ESPNLeBrun. Sabres got a 1st and 4th for Gaustad… 18 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/27/12 at 06:45 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Conks left town with the plunger and no big movements.

Coincidence?

Me thinks not.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 02/27/12 at 06:46 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Why is Seinfeld rolling around in my head?

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/27/12 at 12:22 PM ET

No soup for you.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/27/12 at 07:30 PM ET

Animal Drew's avatar

“I didn’t like seein’ Commie go. But, then I happen to know that there’s a little Brendan Smith on the way. I guess that’s the way the whole dern human comedy keeps perpetuatin’ itself, down through the generations. Westward the wagons, across the sands of time until we . . . ah, look at me, I’m ramblin’ again. Well, I hope you folks enjoyed yerselves. Catch yer later on down the trail . . . Say friend, got any more of that good sarsparilla?”

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 02/27/12 at 07:46 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Holland gets a “F” today, as in fuched up royally.

I don’t rant much, but this was a monumental screw-up.

The greatest NHL player of a generation may not be around next season.  Cap space to burn.  Two goalies playing lights out.  Top 6 playing like shit.  PP that desperately needs help.

And nothing?  Really?

Opportunity is a fickle bitch, and I think DET wasted one here.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/27/12 at 07:55 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

8 year olds dude…

Posted by pgoody on 02/27/12 at 08:00 PM ET

I’m back two hours later.

[reads thread]

FML…

Pahlsson.  Gaustad.  Power forwards we needed go to our rivals.

FML.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/27/12 at 08:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

RSV, Bitches.

And hope to Sweet Baby JesuCristo in swaddling clothes that neither Datsyuk nor Lidstrom get injured.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/27/12 at 08:29 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Holland gets a “F” today, as in fuched up royally.
I don’t rant much, but this was a monumental screw-up.

Wowzas, that’s sour enough to make my face pucker from here in the land of sand and lizards. Seriously man, refuchinglax. A good player that we don’t sign doesn’t mean he would have worked out with us, so I’m not going to call my Organ-I-Zation a failure, especially with the Cups we’ve won with the teams we’ve had. Whatever happened to “In Kenny We Trust”?

And can someone refresh my memory….what was the biggest Trade Deadline deal of each of our last Cup seasons (‘08, ‘02, ‘98 and ‘97 for those of you reading this blog wearing a Hawks’ sweater)?

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/27/12 at 08:30 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 02/27/12 at 05:29 PM ET

.......  after they recover from their current injuries.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/27/12 at 08:43 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/27/12 at 05:30 PM ET

I understand that.  Kenny’s plan has worked outstandingly well for the Organization since 1997.

But, in all that time (since 1992), #5 has been minding the blueline in otherworldly fashion.

If you truly believe that the Wings will be in a similarly competitive situation when #5 hangs up his skates, then your point is logically sound.

At the moment, I am of the opinion that Lidstrom is the swizzle-stick that stirs the Red Wings drink.  If that is true, then the Wings window of opportunity is closing pretty fuching fast.

I’d have been much more aggressive in getting a forward.  If that means mortgaging the ranch, so be it.  Win now, when the window is still open.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/27/12 at 08:43 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Okay, I was thinking Lidstrom was more like the Hugh Hefner of hockey. He’s going to outlive most Swedish rookies/prospects who idolised him growing up. He will never be “on his way out.” So no, I’m not worried about making a huge push to get one this season with the thoughts that it may be our last in a long time.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/27/12 at 08:46 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I understand your point, I do.

But really, how many good chances do you get at Lord Stanley?

I just think, Holland missed a chance here, that’s all.  Because right now, even with Magically Delicious in the line-up, DET could have used some help - and they had the cap space to do it.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/27/12 at 08:57 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

I getcha, I can’t argue that. But I’m guessing, knowing Kenny, it wasn’t for lack of trying.

And there’s only one way to find out whether or not he did the right thing…we’ll know when our season’s over.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/27/12 at 10:16 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/27/12 at 07:16

Addendum: Like what Scotty used to say. Only one team wins the last hockey game of the year.It needs to be the Wings this year. Bitches.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 02/27/12 at 11:55 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

We spend to the cap EVERY YEAR.  We “overbuild” our team EVERY YEAR.  Our singular goal is to do whatever it takes to win the cup EVERY YEAR.

Man, I miss the good old days.

This year, when they didn’t spend to the cap and didn’t overbuild, we were assured that there would be ample cap space to add pieces at the deadline.

Have we now simply become the new Nashville Predators—- cautious, frugal and in the bottom half of the league (18th) in terms of payroll, forever saving pennies for a future that never seems to come?

Discuss

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/28/12 at 12:57 AM ET

Now that Ericsson is out with a broken wrist I thought Qman and Commodore would make an solid 3rd pairing for the playoffs that would be tough to play against.
Silly me.
After today’s trade action (or inaction) I have zero expectations this year. Honestly, any series win would be a pleasant surprise for me. Here is a Red Wings fan since 1991 talking.
If Kenny thinks this team is good enough than well…. I only hope he’s right.

Posted by Alex on 02/28/12 at 01:58 AM ET

Alzy's avatar

Well, sitting here, 10 hours after the deadline, I don’t think I’m angry any longer, but I guess to use the popular word, frustrated. West, I agree with what you said about how we used to be a team that overbuilds to win every year, does everything to win Lord Stanley every year, etc. But in this particular scenario, for this specific deadline, I don’t Tick Tock could do much more than he did. The simple fact was, there were only (I guess including Buffalo, although they didn’t deal Roy) six teams out of 30 that were true sellers. Nash likely was never in the cards, I think we all know that. So then it became about having to trade (more than likely) one of our better roster guys (Filppula is the one who comes to mind) + our 2 of our top 4 prospects+ our first rounder in 2013 to get a guy like Brown, Ryan, Roy etc. And I personally think that’s too steep a price. If there had been more teams who were definitely out of it (the Fuchs are biggest one who come to mind. Remember in January when I think Perry was the only guy deemed untouchable? That team seemed on the verge of imploding, but then they went on that fuching run). But anyways (sorry for rambling), I think if there had been more teams who were definite “sellers” we may have been able to land that top six power forward we coveted for a more reasonable bounty.

However, the thing that’s incredibly frustrating is just knowing that arguably our three main competitors for the Western Conference title all improved. I don’t think any of them improved by leaps and bounds, or even enough to make me think any of DET, VAN, SJ and NSH are huge favourites over the others. But just the knowledge that for the 4th deadline in a row, we chose to stand pat, knowing what’s happened the previous years (2009 obviously being an exception considering the team we were icing at the time), it just seemed like with all that cap space, we were finally going to see a Brad Stuart type addition.

Do I think this Detroit Red Wings team as is can win the Stanley Cup this spring? Yes I do. They have shown on several occasions this season just how good they can be, and just how resilient they can be. But this isn’t 2008, when the team looked pretty damn strong all year. I’ve had that “we’re gonna win this thing” feeling several times, but I’ve also thought another early exit was coming too.

There’s 19 games left in the regular season. It likely won’t make too big a dent statistically as far as their rankings league wide go, but if they can get back to operating a 25% PP and 90% PK (and the PK actually over the past 8 games has been pretty damn good, 25 of 26 killed for a 96% kill rate), I would feel pretty good heading into the playoffs.

But as I said earlier today, I hate relying on “IFs”.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 02/28/12 at 04:03 AM ET