Abel to Yzerman

A2Y’s Trade Deadline Day Mandate

Good morning Kenny.  We’re not in the business of making demands here at A2Y. Yes we have expectations, but none of us would “demand” you do anything other than commit your very soul to keeping our team competitive, every year, for the Cup that belongs to us.

Now, that doesn’t mean we don’t have wishes. And when I say “we”, I mean “I”. Clarifying that for you because a few of the 19 are going to disagree.

My wishes are not unrealistic and I’m going to offer you avenues to make them come true.

First Kenny, a few areas of concern that have led to my three glorious wishes.  Scoring is an issue unless Pavel Datsyuk’s on the ice.  Of our “snipers”, none have performed as we expected: Filppula, Cleary, Franzen, Zetterberg have been individually subpar.  Collectively, they’ve sucked.  And that’s at even strength.  On the power play, I get pee-shivers just typing those two words together. We’ve never seen it so bad. Ever, Kenny.

You must get us a scorer. Not a fourth-line depth guy. Not a professional penalty killer. A scorer with a dagger.  And, while these are only wishes—not demands, it’s going to be very, very hard to understand if Chicago or San Jose land one and we don’t.  That will be a tough pill to swallow Tick Tock. That’s not a threat. Just a statement of fact.  If either of those two teams dramatically improve while we “get Dats back in two weeks..that’s our deadline move”.  That’s just gross.

Kenny, you have a potential, good news/bad news two-year window with Nick Lidstrom.  I’m betting the only way he leaves this June is with his fifth Cup in tow.  I can take that. I can handle a departure under those terms. What I can’t abide, Kenny, is the greatest defenseman in the history of hockey leaving after a playoff loss, after the organ-I-zation didn’t do everything possible to arm him for his final run.  What I don’t want to see, Tick Tock, is a similar scene to the one that’s been seared into our memories, one that featured another Captain and a tunnel in Edmonton.

So you go get him Kenny. Get us a game breaker for now and ever more.  Get us Rick Nash and plan to pay him 8 million/year for however long the math toads tell you can work. That’s wish number 1 with a bullet.  Offer Scott Howson any two players in our system. Any two. Brendan Smith (because we’re getting Suter this summer) and anyone else. And a pick. First round, second round. I don’t care.  Give it up.  And Kenny, if it means a roster player?  It’s easier for me to tell you who I wouldn’t include.  Ready? It won’t take long.

Here’s who I don’t put in a deal for Nash, a big, strong, sniper with great hands and a well of anger as yet untapped by the pansies down in Columbus:

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Howard
Helm

The 1st and 3rd are obvious.  The 2nd is the heart of the team, and I still believe that.  The 4th because he’s a Red Wing by god. That kid is a Wing and I couldn’t bear to see him go.  Not even mentioning the brutal effect on at least one of the 19 from Brazil.

Anyone else?  Do it.  I say that keeping in mind the fact that Columbus wouldn’t take on Franzen’s salary anyway, and Lidstrom’s just a non-issue.  Homer’s too old and wouldn’t be asked for or included.  Anyone else? Deal-able.

Wish number 2.  Steve Ott. Oh my god I know we hate him. I know it.  I also know we hated Dallas Drake and Chris Chelios.  I don’t care. I’m not going to get emotional on you now because I want our Cup back.  If it means bringing in a scum bag to do it, I’m game. I have no scruples. None. I want the Cup and I want it this June. If Steve Ott can contribute to that, and I believe he can with grit and hate and some will to win, put him in red and white. And do it today.  I’d give up far less: a pick and a minor league player not named Smith.

Wish number 3, maybe tied with 2 or definitely in addition to 2: Teemu Selanne.  We need help on the power play and I really don’t think it’s coming from within.  It’s essential. If that power play doesn’t get much better we might be a first-round loser. I really believe that.  Another player we’ve hated, I know. And I don’t care. I just don’t.

I don’t want to hear a damn thing about the future. You’ll get Suter this summer and probably Parise. So if you get Nash, give up Filppula and gain another sniper over the summer the puppies keep bouncing and licking places they shouldn’t. It’s pure joy. Yes, giving up a player like Wally is hard to imagine because we dig the kid.

Well, I dig Cups more.  A lot more.

So those are my wishes Tick Tock. Nothing more. Not demands. I’ll still be a fan tomorrow if you don’t make them happen.  But the thing is, I’ll be a happier fan with 61 in red and white than I would be with 61 in teal. And if it’s not a GM’s job to make me and the 19 happy? Then I don’t understand what is.

Make it happen, Tick Tock. I want that parade and I want it the second Tuesday in June. This June, Kenny.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

Rdwings28's avatar

“should old acquaintance be forgot and ........”

Posted by Rdwings28 on 02/27/12 at 09:54 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Chief, I agree completely that if one of our conference playoff opponents ends up with Nash, well…  that would just suck beyond words.

That said, In Holland I Trust.  I really do.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/27/12 at 10:15 AM ET

From Dan Rosen at NH.com

“We’re hopeful a deal can get done prior to the trade deadline that is fair and equitable for the Blue Jackets,” Resnick told TSN, according to McKenzie. “However, if a deal is not reached, then the list of acceptable teams will not change at a later date.”

Nash has a no-movement clause in his contract, but he has given the Blue Jackets a list of teams that he would be willing to accept a trade to. Nash’s list of teams reportedly includes the Rangers, Canucks, Bruins, Kings, Sharks and Maple Leafs.

Does he not list the Redwings, because it is assumed everyone wants to wear the winged wheel?

Posted by milburyneedstobeslapped on 02/27/12 at 10:21 AM ET

dougie's avatar

I really want to be wrong here, (and rub it in, if I am), but I think a day of no activity is the more likely outcome. If that is the case, I see a loong summer in the cards.

Posted by dougie on 02/27/12 at 10:42 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Pure speculation of the OK’d list of teams for Nash.  Those “guesses” are rarely ever accurate.

That said… sorry Chief, Nash isn’t coming to DET.  CBS can’t do it and spin it in any positive way to their fans whatsoever.  Nash to DET would basically be the Jackets admitting they’re probably only spending one more year in CBS and then relocating.

But yes, they need a proven scorer.  Too many top 6 forwards coasting along and not scoring anymore.

Steve Ott?  HELL.  NO.  The guys takes bad penalties more often than Bertuzzi.  How are we supposed to be behind that idea?  You know, with all the calls already that are basically “2 min for wearing Red & White”?  We need a Disturber that can do so without taking penalties, especially dumb ones.

Boy… give up Fil?  I dunno’.  Fil does a lot of those “little things” we like our Wings to do that honestly do add up.  Cleary?  Yes, ship him yesterday.  Hudler?  Sure.  Bert?  Of course.

Honestly though?  I think Holland is going to sit on his current roster and hope guys like Cleary, Z, Bert, and some others start finally scoring.

Posted by Primis on 02/27/12 at 10:52 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Columbus isn’t going anywhere. The city just paid $45 million for the arena, and the citizens in that town are already carrying their pitchforks and torches in the streets.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/27/12 at 11:10 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by Primis on 02/27/12 at 07:52 AM ET

I have to agree with this.  It would take another three way.  Wonder what Howson’s reaction would be if he got a call from Stevie.  “Oh shit…is this guy going to wind up in Detroit too?”

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/27/12 at 11:12 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 02/27/12 at 08:12 AM ET

Considering TB already had a small firesale and are clear Sellers, if Steve did call anyone it would be obvious he wasn’t stocking his own team and was angling for something else.

Posted by Primis on 02/27/12 at 11:30 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

No Nash… would cost too much to get him here. Take the already high price teams in the east would pay, then add a little bit more sugar for teams in the west, then add a little more for teams in the central, then add a shit-load more for the Wings.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 02/27/12 at 11:47 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Amen.

Opportunity is a fickle bitch.

And what we have is, maybe, the best opportunity for quite a while.

Arguably the greatest defenseman ever, isn’t going to be here too much longer.

The window of opportunity is closing.

Make it fuching happen.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/27/12 at 11:55 AM ET

If real-life worked like videogames:

Send whatever CBS wants for Rick Nash. Use him as a rental player, win the Cup. Then in the summer trade him for the rights to Suter/Parise/Weber/whoever the hell you want.

Posted by Herm from the office on 02/27/12 at 12:07 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

This team is too close to a Stanley Cup not to take a chance.  We can’t afford to let San Jose get better, because frankly they’ll may our ‘10 exit look like a happy ending.  I know Kenny’s first instinct is to plan for the future, but sometimes you have to go for it.  Do it Tick Tock.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/27/12 at 12:37 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Nash? Would love to see him in the wheel. But I’m with the rest of the dissenters saying it’s not gonna happen for too many reasons.

Gimme Bobby Ryan. Goal scorer in a down year, big body with high skill, young, and a very reasonable $5.1M cap hit for 3 more seasons. Either of the other 2 dickweeds in Anaheim…,eh I’m torn. Cant stand Perry or Getzlaf, but there is no denying their talent and how they could help this team.

In the “it just might work” department Kyle Okposo might be worth a look. He’s fallen out of favor a bit on the island, but he’s a scorer who hasn’t had much chance to blossom with a perpetually crappy team. Has a bit of size too. Contract for $2.8M through the ‘15-16 season. Problem is he may combine the frustrating features of both Hudler and Mule. I’m not terribly excited about that idea, but stranger things have happened. See: Bertuzzi, Todd.

Give up what it takes. Smith for Ryan? Sure thing. Nyquist is the only one I don’t want to see traded. Smith only for a Bobby Ryan type player.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 02/27/12 at 01:01 PM ET

Howson would be nuts to send Nash to Nashville (or Detroit). Yeah, have him come back to Columbus contantly and haunt them for years.

Shut up, Cotsonika

Posted by Herm from the office on 02/27/12 at 01:05 PM ET

I don’t believe Visnovsky is in play anymore. Ducks are rolling, and I don’t believe Bob Murray will be a seller now.

From one of the Spectors… No Ryan, then.

Posted by Herm from the office on 02/27/12 at 01:07 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

If Nash is traded to a W.C. team that is not DET, it’ll be a bad voodoo day for Kenny Holland.

If there was ever a time to pull the proverbial rabbit outta the hat - this is it.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/27/12 at 01:11 PM ET

Trotz told a reporter that Nashville made a strong offer for Nash. They’re apparently chasing Kostysyin (?) too.

Posted by Herm from the office on 02/27/12 at 01:19 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Zetterberg is NOT the heart and soul of this team.  I had a hard time believing he ever was.  Might have been the “leader” and by leader I mean main disturber (as Helm puts it) but he’s NOT the heart and soul.  That’d be Pav (Wings are a 500 club without him).  Howard should be, or Helm.  Evidently the Swedes don’t have a heartbeat.  Don’t get mad, don’t have intensity.  Only person on that team that has a “hockey heart” is Pavel.

Lidas was born with great natural talent and genes.  He wants to play the game only while he’s able to do it greatly.  Yzerman clutched onto it, hands bleeding, fingernails ripping until he just couldn’t anymore.

We don’t have a Ying to Lidas Yang in the lockerroom.  The old guard “Y” guys are all gone.  We’ve gone from Yzermans sarcastic fire to Berts Grumpy Old Man routine.

—————

Anyone else remember Kenny or Mike saying recently that they plug in new vets but we don’t bring them in to be leaders or set the tone in the locker room, something about already having the right leaders in there…..

Then why the *#$%@& is Bert (who I like, don’t get me wrong) the defacto leader in the top 6 outside of Pav?  I can see Cleary, Bert, Z and Franzen all have similar defects in their play and I’d be willing to bet that they are a clique in the locker room.  They all have that same “do it all myself” aspect to their game that makes them look old and slow.  Z skating around the entire offensive zone one handing the puck holding the stick of the opposition until he comes back to the point and it gets poke checked.

Cleary staying kinda near the front of the net,far enough away not to take heavy abuse,  but not close enough to clean up the garbage, but he goes for pucks like he’s jumping on a grenade.  That’s why it looks like he’s always making some dramatic play, he can’t reach the damn thing.  Unless he’s doing his Z impersonation in which he only makes it from the back of the net to the corner before he turns it over.

Franzen…. Franzen…. if he doesn’t have a Stevie Y to beat him into submission, evidently he doesn’t work.  Everyone thought he was having some great year.  When I saw his plus minus I was astounded.  It didn’t seem to me he was even really noticeable on the ice and I like to notice the people doing little things.. wasn’t Franzen…. low and behold, he loses Pav, all of a sudden -5 in 2 games.  lmao.  Doesn’t score or play defense, hides behind the STELLAR play of Pavel.

To put it in perspective.  Franzen and Hudler are close in goals and our two leading goal scorers.  They both generally score from the same areas on the ice.  Huds does it with Z centering him (who’s having a down year) and Franzen does it with Pavel…  Z+H=D+F .. Our midget pimp is producing about the same with a busted Z as Mule is with a healthy D… but Mule is the power-forward goal scorer and Pav’s the best player int he world.  Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out who isn’t working.

Been saying this for two months now, Wings need a spark plug for the top 6 so the BZCF clique quits feeling so comfortable.

/rant… I’d give Bert and Franzen a run for their money on “grumpy” today

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/27/12 at 01:23 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

There’s a rumor on Twitter that the Wings have picked up Gaustad, no details as of yet.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/27/12 at 01:26 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Man, what wouldn’t I give up to get Selanne and his shot? Would a Brenden Smith and and draft pick get it done???

I don’t think the wings need to get bigger up front. You don’t have to out physical a team to win in the playoffs, but you do need to cash in on 20% or better of your PP chances when the other team takes a penalty for roughing up Pavel or Hank.

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/27/12 at 01:53 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by bezukov from South of Detroit on 02/27/12 at 10:26 AM ET

Kevin Allen just shot that down.

Posted by Primis on 02/27/12 at 02:07 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

You, Master Chief, are a very entertaining guy. And I just love how you never let boring things like “math” get in the way of your dreams. smile

First of all, Nash gets $7.8M per through the 2017-18 season. That’s a done deal. So if the Wings take on that salary, they’re not getting Suter, let alone Suter and Parise. The math just doesn’t work – unless TPH leaves. But nice try, anyway.

Kevin Allen just shot that down.

Damn you, Kevin Allen.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/27/12 at 02:23 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

OTC you bastard. You know I’m no pharmacist.  I’m a dreamer, like Bertuzzi.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 02/27/12 at 02:25 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’m a dreamer, like Bertuzzi.

Not even Bert dreams like you do, sir. From time to time, I still find myself chuckling about your unrelenting (and totally impossible) dream of keeping Hossa – the math of it be damned.

But you keep right on dreaming. It’s one of the things that make A2Y a must-read.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/27/12 at 02:40 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Pretty sure I read last week that Selanne was not going to ask to be moved to a contender… and as big of a roll as the Quacks are on, I’d wager he’s staying put.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 02/27/12 at 02:45 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Haaaa…I’m frigging pathetic. I really believed we were gonna keep him and Franzen both. My faith in Tick Tock is never ending.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 02/27/12 at 02:51 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Chief:

I love this post.  I have been wanting Nash as a Wing for years but it isn’t going to happen.

I’m taking my lumps at work today…if only the third period on Saturday had been about five minutes longer.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 02/27/12 at 03:21 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Why is Seinfeld rolling around in my head?

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/27/12 at 03:22 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Chic, some toad tried to give me shit about the Dive game just a few hours ago.  I asked him what seed Denver was today and that kind of ended the discussion.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 02/27/12 at 03:22 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

That’d be Pav (Wings are a 500 club without him).

I have said it a million times. Pavs has the deep Russian soul. He should be the next Captain.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/27/12 at 03:32 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

if only the third period on Saturday had been about five minutes longer.

I’d have preferred we’d have amounted to shit in the first 40 minutes versus trying to flip “the switch” when the game was all but decided already.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 02/27/12 at 03:38 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Search Daddy can start his crusade to get Commodore to wear #64 in Tampa.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 02/27/12 at 03:42 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Crap.  Commodore is gone.  Kindl and Smith reportedly will both be in lineup against the BJ’s because Lidstrom is also banged-up.

Posted by Primis on 02/27/12 at 04:18 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

See you later comodedoor. All he’s worth is a 7th rounder? Isn’t that the draft equivalent of abag of pucks? Thanks for stinking up the JLA ice while you were here. One of Kenny’s rare missteps.

I do not understand why the Ducks are not sellers. While six points is not an insurmountable amount, they have to leapfrog FIVE teams to get to eigth. that is an insurmountable amount. Too bad, because Teemu would look good in the Winged Wheel.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/27/12 at 04:18 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Huh.  McCollum has also been called up to the Griffs, and Pearce sent to the Walleye.  They obviously figure Conklin to get most of the GR starts, and want Pearce still playing somehwere?

Posted by Primis on 02/27/12 at 04:23 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

A tweet from Helene:

freepwings Straight from the mouth of #RedWings GM Holland: “We’re not doing anything (else) on defense and goal. We’re going with what we’ve got.” 23 seconds ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/27/12 at 04:41 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

That sounds like Tick Tock is still trying to get some scoring.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/27/12 at 04:42 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

my one wish? Teemu Selanne

Tick Tock ...

please?

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 02/27/12 at 04:43 PM ET

asktheduffer G Thomas McCollum sent from #AHL Grand Rapids to #ECHL Toledo. G Jordan Peace goes the other way. #redwings

And the Wings’ goalie roulette in the minor leagues continue.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/27/12 at 04:50 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Smith got recalled for the tilt against the BJ’s. Who got hurt on D against the Dive?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/27/12 at 04:55 PM ET

1 2 3 >       Next »